One of the reasons Jiren is so boring

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

One of the reasons Jiren is so boring

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:18 pm

In addition to not having that much of a character, I just realized something else - he has no special abilities.

Most DB villains have at least a few unique powers/abilities that make them extra dangerous. Jiren, though, can't really do anything that your average trained ki-user can't do. The only difference is that he's really strong. The closest thing he has to a unique power is that attack where he fires invisible ki blasts from his eyes, but that just seems to be a form of kiai, which again is a generic ki power. I remember shortly after he was introduced that some people were speculating that he had some kind of precognition or super predictive power due to knowing the blocks from the arena wouldn't hit him, but no, it turns out that was just because he's really experienced and fast. Jiren's powerset is possibly the most generic of any major antagonist in the franchise.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: One of the reasons Jiren is so boring

Post by Yuli Ban » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:36 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:In addition to not having that much of a character, I just realized something else - he has no special abilities.

Most DB villains have at least a few unique powers/abilities that make them extra dangerous. Jiren, though, can't really do anything that your average trained ki-user can't do. The only difference is that he's really strong. The closest thing he has to a unique power is that attack where he fires invisible ki blasts from his eyes, but that just seems to be a form of kiai, which again is a generic ki power. I remember shortly after he was introduced that some people were speculating that he had some kind of precognition or super predictive power due to knowing the blocks from the arena wouldn't hit him, but no, it turns out that was just because he's really experienced and fast. Jiren's powerset is possibly the most generic of any major antagonist in the franchise.
For me, that's what makes him interesting. He has to use pure strength to fight. In a series that has escalated to the point where everyone has such over-the-top abilities, (usually consisting of transformation enhancing their power), he's purely physical and he uses physicality to overcome others' special abilities. Jiren would be a very interesting antagonist because you can't overthink him. You can't expect him to turn you into candy or use psychokinesis to trap you or absorb you with a hypodermic tail or spit out an egg containing his more-powerful son. He isn't immortal, nor is he able to sacrifice health to overcharge himself. He's just stupidly strong and he knows how to use that strength better than you do your own. In a manner, he's min-maxed literally everything so he doesn't need a special ability. Makes you wonder what his goals and desires might be, considering he was at the very top.

But we were left with a Superman clone who was rewritten at the last minute to be an overly arrogant prick, so there isn't really anything more to him than what you get. It's one of my biggest gripes with Dragon Ball, I think, that so many great concepts are left to flounder. Great plotlines left unexplored; great characters left unutilized; great potential techniques left unused.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:43 pm

Honestly i feel that was the intent, it seemed like both Toriyama and Toei were banking on Jiren being stronger than the Hakaishins to be his major selling point, almost like they were pushing for him to be the "Broly" of modern DB where his appeal comes from those who gawk over feats and PLs.

Admittedly, i'm one of those people, i liked Jiren mainly due to him being the first(and currently only) antagonist of the "Super" era to be on Beerus' scale

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:00 am

shadd21 wrote:Honestly i feel that was the intent, it seemed like both Toriyama and Toei were banking on Jiren being stronger than the Hakaishins to be his major selling point, almost like they were pushing for him to be the "Broly" of modern DB where his appeal comes from those who gawk over feats and PLs.

Admittedly, i'm one of those people, i liked Jiren mainly due to him being the first(and currently only) antagonist of the "Super" era to be on Beerus' scale
And that, I think, is where a lot of this falls apart. What made Broly such a titanic force was that we knew where he stood in relations to others. It was retroactive power-wanking in the video games that turned him into an "SSJ4 Gogeta fused with SSJ5 Vegetto"-tier character.
Whereas with Jiren, we only know that he's stronger than Toppo. Is he stronger than GoD Toppo as well? Arguably.

But is he stronger than Beerus? And there you have the problem— we don't know. We only ever saw Beerus fight once, and that was against a character who was at the time stated to have pushed him to around 80% of his power, but in retrospect there's no way SSJGod Goku could have been that strong if Jiren is still on par with Beerus. I'm not sure we ever even got a direct answer as to whether SSJGod is weaker, as strong as, or stronger than SSJBlue.

I recall back when we thought Hit was Beerus-tier, and then speculated that SSJRose Goku Black was Beerus-tier, then that Vegetto Blue was Beerus-tier. Now we use Jiren as that standard. We never had that problem in Dragon Ball or Z because it was so much clearer.

Point is: we need to see Goku and Beerus fight again.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:00 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:In addition to not having that much of a character, I just realized something else - he has no special abilities.

I agree he doesn't an overtly interesting ability, like say telekinesis or time-skip, but I think something I've at least grown to appreciate about the anime interpretation of Jiren's attacks after reading his fights in the manga, is, as you've already mentioned, his kiai eye technique.

Its not much, but I think it was used enough, and had enough flare to it, to give Jiren something that could be considered a distinguishing technique.

I feels its a vastly more interesting visual attack, than say, anything Jirens really done in the manga.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:33 am

JazzMazz wrote:

I agree he doesn't an overtly interesting ability, like say telekinesis or time-skip, but I think something I've at least grown to appreciate about the anime interpretation of Jiren's attacks after reading his fights in the manga, is, as you've already mentioned, his kiai eye technique.

Its not much, but I think it was used enough, and had enough flare to it, to give Jiren something that could be considered a distinguishing technique.

I feels its a vastly more interesting visual attack, than say, anything Jirens really done in the manga.
Is it fair to call out the manga? All Jiren has done so far is fight Hit, and that encounter was more focused on showing of Hit's capabilities than it was Jiren's. You should probably wait until Jiren does something before you start judging him.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:13 am

Bergamo wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:

Is it fair to call out the manga? All Jiren has done so far is fight Hit, and that encounter was more focused on showing of Hit's capabilities than it was Jiren's. You should probably wait until Jiren does something before you start judging him.
Your right, defeating manga Hit isn't an accomplishment, since he was kind of a joke, so I'll just wait to he actually does something.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:36 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: I agree he doesn't an overtly interesting ability, like say telekinesis or time-skip, but I think something I've at least grown to appreciate about the anime interpretation of Jiren's attacks after reading his fights in the manga, is, as you've already mentioned, his kiai eye technique.

Your right, defeating manga Hit isn't an accomplishment, since he was kind of a joke, so I'll just wait to he actually does something.
I think you are forgetting the memory challenge , now Jiren remember gokus name . That’s an accomplishment
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:38 am

prince212 wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
Bergamo wrote: Is it fair to call out the manga? All Jiren has done so far is fight Hit, and that encounter was more focused on showing of Hit's capabilities than it was Jiren's. You should probably wait until Jiren does something before you start judging him.
I think you are forgetting the memory challenge , now Jiren remember gokus name . That’s an accomplishment
Um what?
I don't see how thats an accomplishment FOR JIREN.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:45 am

JazzMazz wrote:
prince212 wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: Your right, defeating manga Hit isn't an accomplishment, since he was kind of a joke, so I'll just wait to he actually does something.
Um what?
I don't see how thats an accomplishment FOR JIREN.
It’s something , isn’t it ? :thumbup:
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:00 am

Honestly, I think Jiren being a gimmick free character is what sets him apart from most other Dragon Ball antagonists in a good way. Much like Beerus and Whis, he's a character that doesn't necessarily entirely rely on unique techniques, transformations or abilities to get the upper hand in battle. He's just monstrously strong and uses that strength to steamroll everyone in his way. I like that kind of simple and straightforward approach.

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zen Yabuki » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:10 am

I don’t see him as boring, and I do like his style. He’s brutal and and simple but also tries to crush any hope his opponent has of winning

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:14 am

He was never meant to be an antagonist on the level of Frieza and Cell, and most certainly NOT on the level of Zamasu. Boring, the way he was meant to be. On that department, the writers nailed it.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:25 am

I wasn't too fond of him at first, but he had a mysterious air about him which I liked. He kinda reminds me of Broly base form. And he got more and more interesting near the end of the TOP, he was really entertaining to watch.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Master Xar
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Master Xar » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:14 am

I actually felt it was one of his positives as it goes with his character. He is straight to the point, brutal, and cold, he’s a wall of nothing but stoicism buried inside an angry, relentlessness, ready to be unleashed. He is a specimen. He doesn’t aim to just beat you, he aims to crush your spirit, break you, snatch away your willpower and enforce cold reality like someone once did the same to him. He has nothing, but at the same time everything to hide, he puffs out his chest to be tough, but behind all that a broken man that can’t let go of the past.

And TBH I find it far better than just another bad guy that can regenerate from being vaporized for the 50th time, lord knows Dragonball is overrun with same-y powers, so even if they tried I don’t think he’d stand out anyways unless they can do what they did with Hit. And besides, he has a few things going like his rapid air pressure attacks.

Zamasu55
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Zamasu55 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:18 am

He could've ringed out literally every fighter on the stage, but somehow he refuses to.
Not only is he boring, he's also stupid.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:54 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Honestly, I think Jiren being a gimmick free character is what sets him apart from most other Dragon Ball antagonists in a good way. Much like Beerus and Whis, he's a character that doesn't necessarily entirely rely on unique techniques, transformations or abilities to get the upper hand in battle. He's just monstrously strong and uses that strength to steamroll everyone in his way. I like that kind of simple and straightforward approach.
Whis has tons of exotic powers, possibly more than we've seen from any other character. Beerus was pretty much a straightforward powerhouse in the movies, but the anime and manga gave him many special abilities.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:11 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Honestly, I think Jiren being a gimmick free character is what sets him apart from most other Dragon Ball antagonists in a good way. Much like Beerus and Whis, he's a character that doesn't necessarily entirely rely on unique techniques, transformations or abilities to get the upper hand in battle. He's just monstrously strong and uses that strength to steamroll everyone in his way. I like that kind of simple and straightforward approach.
Whis has tons of exotic powers, possibly more than we've seen from any other character. Beerus was pretty much a straightforward powerhouse in the movies, but the anime and manga gave him many special abilities.
The only abilities I've seen from Whis that I haven't seen from any other character in Dragon Ball is rewinding time and being a midwife.

Beerus' standout ability is of course his "Hakai" technique.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:28 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Beerus' standout ability is of course his "Hakai" technique.
But how standout is that when (arguebly) every other Hakaishin has it?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:39 pm

I think whatever he does with his eyes that allows him to just glare away Final Flashes and Spirit Bombs counts as a special ability of sorts. Granted, it's no time skip or energy scythe, but it's still pretty cool.

For me, Jiren was set up (rather poorly) to be Goku's antithesis in this arc. From the onset, Goku was fighting for his friends, family, and universe. Jiren was focused solely on himself. He only made an effort when he found it worth his time, he left Toppo and Dyspo to handle "the rest" after knocking out Hit, which was still 5 other universes with failry strong fighters and secrets still in the bag. He was focused more on not losing then I felt the perservation of U11

Also, one of the biggest ball drops is his wish with the Super Dragonballs. Though it was never outwardly addressed in the anime (if I'm mistaken please correct me, it's been sometime since I viewed some of the earlier ToP episodes), it's been seemingly made a deal out of in the manga. Plus every time the Super Dragonballs were mentioned, it sort of gave him that extra "oompf" of sorts.

I personally love Jiren as a character and what they tried setting him up as, and I find the duality of Goku and Jiren a fascinating character study