What are the odds FUNimation will leave Ultra Instinct’s theme untouched?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

What are the odds FUNimation will leave Ultra Instinct’s theme untouched?

Post by shadd21 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:41 pm

Seeing how they dubbed the insert songs ofKai 1.0, all of Super’s Endings so far, and recently Waiwai World for the dub of episode 96, it seems an English version of Ultimate Battle is inevitable, however since the song has significance to it, and is reused in multiple episodes, Do you think FUNimation would choose to leave it in Japanese?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Re: What are the odds FUNimation will leave Ultra Instinct’s theme untouched?

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:56 pm

In Super the English dub so far has kept a lot of the Japanese non-vocal background-stuff, such as the God-theme when Goku turns Blue. I suppose they'll keep the UI-theme as well.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:35 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:In Super the English dub so far has kept a lot of the Japanese non-vocal background-stuff, such as the God-theme when Goku turns Blue. I suppose they'll keep the UI-theme as well.
I’m referring to Ultimate Battle which is vocal: https://youtu.be/GH9u4eZQGk8

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:53 pm

shadd21 wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:In Super the English dub so far has kept a lot of the Japanese non-vocal background-stuff, such as the God-theme when Goku turns Blue. I suppose they'll keep the UI-theme as well.
Well in that case, remember there was a Japanese song playing when Gohan went SSJ2, in the English dub it was no longer there. Probably there well be no vocals on it or an English version.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:40 pm

I hope they leave it alone as the way it's said and the voice used in Japanese is what makes it special and stand out so that'll be lost if dubbed.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:05 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:
shadd21 wrote:
Well in that case, remember there was a Japanese song playing when Gohan went SSJ2, in the English dub it was no longer there. Probably there well be no vocals on it or an English version.
They kept the Japanese version of Chouzetsu Dynamic during the SSBKKx10 scene.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:09 pm

I was disappointed when 'Unmei no Hi: Tamashii vs Tamashii' was left out of the English spoken versionof DBZ with Japanese score. Gohan's transformation was soo much more badass with that song.
Probably has something to do with Funimation-policy or rights to use the songs. To date i can't remember Japanese songs in any of the dub episodes.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:13 pm

Simere wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:
shadd21 wrote:I’m referring to Ultimate Battle which is vocal: https://youtu.be/GH9u4eZQGk8
They kept the Japanese version of Chouzetsu Dynamic during the SSBKKx10 scene.
They kept that one as well during the intro with Japanese lyrics, when it was still the intro. Maybe because they had rights for it (special case)?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:34 pm

sintzu wrote:I hope they leave it alone as the way it's said and the voice used in Japanese is what makes it special and stand out so that'll be lost if dubbed.
There is a fan made English version of the song that I think sounds pretty good (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ms49WIuL-M).

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:30 pm

shadd21 wrote:Seeing how they dubbed the insert songs ofKai 1.0
During the USSJ Trunks vs Cell battle they kept "The lone Warrior" in Japanese.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:03 pm

WittyUsername wrote:There is a fan made English version of the song that I think sounds pretty good (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ms49WIuL-M).
That is good. :clap:
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:12 pm

I that Sean Schemmel singing? :shock:

DBGT101
Patreon Supporter

Post by DBGT101 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:18 am

Mister_Popo wrote:I that Sean Schemmel singing? :shock:
That is Alejandro Saab Who goes by KaggyFilms on Youtube. He is also a voice actor who has worked with Funimation in the past.
So there is a chance that he could be brought in to do Ultimate Battle for the dub. Considering that Supposedly they flew in Mark De Groot to Record Chouzetsu Dynamic, but was stopped from using it by the record company as their was already an English version of the song. And considering that they Dubbed the Dr. Slump theme in the most recent episode, I think it's safe to say it'll be dubbed. The question though is: Will it still be good?

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:23 am

I'm more worried about Limit Break x Survivor. They've been dubbing all the openings and nearly all of them they get the original artist back to sing it in English, which never works out well.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:51 am

Kataphrut wrote:I'm more worried about Limit Break x Survivor. They've been dubbing all the openings and nearly all of them they get the original artist back to sing it in English, which never works out well.
I don't think that is FUNi but rather the original artists already sung in Engrish and FUNi have to use that. As far as I am aware OP 2 hasn't been sung in Engrish yet so we should be okay, fingers crossed.

As for the question in hand, I dunno if I'd want them too their ED's have been a mixed bag dubbed and this is one song they have to nail.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:38 pm

Kataphrut wrote:I'm more worried about Limit Break x Survivor. They've been dubbing all the openings and nearly all of them they get the original artist back to sing it in English, which never works out well.
Wait what? I though FUNi's voice actors were the ones singing the openings in the dub?

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:22 pm

Well, there's only been one opening in the dub so far, and that has the original artist, so this is technically true. All the endings have US artists singing them, though.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:39 pm

To be fair, that's only because the original singer's English version already existed. I don't think an English version of Limit Break x Survivor by the original singer exists, so we're probably in the clear there. With that said, I'm personally hoping for Chris Niosi to sing it since he's worked on Funimation dubs before. Granted, I believe the Funimation dubs he's worked on were the ones outsourced to Bang! Zoom like Mob Psycho 100, but still.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:58 pm

Should FUNimation even bother with dubbing any of the songs? I don’t think the average viewer would care if the songs are in Japanese.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:09 pm

High. The only songs they localize are the OPs and EDs