Would y’all like it if Tori rebooted other Z Movie/GT villains?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Re: Would y’all like it if Tori rebooted other Z Movie/GT villains?

Post by MetaMoss » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:39 pm

Considering most of the movie villains were pretty blatant knock-offs of villains from the manga, I'd hardly see a reason for Toriyama to reboot any of them except for Broly [and Wheelo, Bojack, and Hoi/Hirudegarn], because we already have his versions. On the GT side, I think finally having a Toriyama version of the Tuffles getting their vengeance might be interesting to see, but not anytime soon, since it seems like we're getting a Saiyan history lesson with this new movie. I don't see any version of Super 17 being worthwhile, especially after how 17 was fleshed out in Super. The Shadow Dragons should definitely get the treatment at some point, though. There's a concept that's ripe for some good stories to be told with.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:35 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:As much as I like the idea of "canonizing" old memorable Toei characters, if it was up to me, I would rather new villains and new concepts that have what it takes to become just as memorable as the old ones 20 years down the line.
Probably not .

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:46 pm

sintzu wrote:I think it's worth noting that not every concept is going to make it in so we can probably rule out things like Super 13 and Bojack. Other things that are essentially unavoidable such as Broly as he's known as the LSsj, Cooler who's Freeza's brother so any development of his family will most likely include him, Bardock cause Goku can't have 2 dads and so on are things that would be hard to ignore.
Grimlock wrote:Freeza's return was solely because of fanservice.

Then a tournament, more fights and nothing else, which means more fanservice.

Then Future Trunks saga, everything was okay up until Vegetto's appearance.

Saying bullshit about Heroes while placing Toriyama on a pedestal is just madness.

Where have you ever seen a game that completely ignores the fans? No game would sell if they didn't please their fanbase.
Toriyama said he heard a song related to Freeza and that's how he gt the idea.

Going by that logic then the tournaments in the original DB are just fan service.

So that one episode ruined an entire arc for you ? I think it's more that you were looking for a reason to not like it.

No one's putting anyone on a pedestal, I'm just not looking at everything in a negative view like you're doing.

That applies to everything, not just games. The head of Marvel studios says their success is in part thanks to them listening to what their fans want.
ekrolo2 wrote:Isn't forcing a creator who has no idea what he's doing the reason George Lucas was the most hated creator for almost 2 decades or is Dragon Ball exempt from THAT too?
Toriyama's made it clear that he's enjoying what he's doing and the staff said he gets final say on everything so I don't know how that = being forced. Toriyama clearly says his editor "suggested" he used Broly, not that he had an original idea but his editor "forced" him to do something else. I don't know what went wrong with Lucas that caused him to leave so I can't really comment on that.
Hellspawn28 wrote:I feel like Toriyama is going to do redo another Toei creation, it would probably be SSj4. SSj4 is a popular form and you even have people who didn't like GT found it to be a cool form. I can see Toriyama doing something with SSj4 in the future for Super.
Ssj4 being canon will be the final nail in Gt's sorry coffin. With Freeza being alive I think Cooler is only a matter of time.
SaiyanGod117 wrote:Is it too hard to come up with some new ideas? I feel like Broly should be the last hoorah of rehashing ideas, especially outside of canon.
They have new ideas but they want to mix in some old ones as well. I think Broly is just the start of Toei concepts making it into "canon".
ZeroDio wrote:Plus Super 17 being created through Towa’s Dark Magic.
Super 17 could just be normal 17 who moved his brain to a stronger body to help everyone out. There's no need for him to be a villain.
and Kuriza

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:07 am

Would y’all like it if Tori rebooted other Z Movie/GT villains?
When I first heard about DB Kai all those years ago I was actually hoping for this. I was specifically hoping that they'd neatly add Garlic Jr., Turles, Slug, Cooler, and Broly to the officially timeline in a way that made sense without contradicting the arc, but when I finally saw Kai in action I knew we wouldn't get this lol.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:05 pm

BWri wrote:Would y’all like it if Tori rebooted other Z Movie/GT villains?
When I first heard about DB Kai all those years ago I was actually hoping for this. I was specifically hoping that they'd neatly add Garlic Jr., Turles, Slug, Cooler, and Broly to the officially timeline in a way that made sense without contradicting the arc, but when I finally saw Kai in action I knew we wouldn't get this lol.
Well Broly is canon now.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:37 am

Toxin45 wrote:
Well Broly is canon now.
Ssj4 and cooler will probably follow as well.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:28 am

sintzu wrote:
Toxin45 wrote:
Well Broly is canon now.
Ssj4 and cooler will probably follow as well.
Nah we don't need ssj4

reecehoward
Beyond Newbie

Post by reecehoward » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:52 pm

MetaMoss wrote:Considering most of the movie villains were pretty blatant knock-offs of villains from the manga, I'd hardly see a reason for Toriyama to reboot any of them except for Broly [and Wheelo, Bojack, and Hoi/Hirudegarn], because we already have his versions. On the GT side, I think finally having a Toriyama version of the Tuffles getting their vengeance might be interesting to see, but not anytime soon, since it seems like we're getting a Saiyan history lesson with this new movie. I don't see any version of Super 17 being worthwhile, especially after how 17 was fleshed out in Super. The Shadow Dragons should definitely get the treatment at some point, though. There's a concept that's ripe for some good stories to be told with.
I'd love to see Hoi/Hirudegarn in the main continuity. Maybe change the story to Hirudegarn being created to do battle and rid the multiverse of the GoD's to make way for a new hierarchy...maybe something a little more in depth.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:31 am

Well, if the Shadow Dragons came out of the Super DBs, that would at least justify their power. I mean restoring seven entire universes in a single wish is bound to generate more negative energy than wishing back a few people and conjuring up a pair of panties. Am I right or am I right? :P

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:47 am

Cooler, and that's probably it. Broly was so popular that he couldn't be ignored anymore. But the Super-era has this pattern of new idea, nostalgia, new idea, nostalgia with every arc.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:28 am

Yes, yes I would.

He should reboot "The Super Incredible Guy," Bojack.

For my amusement.

Also, someone in the movie, at some point, needs to say "Wow, that Bojack is a super incredible guy!"
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Molock13

Post by Molock13 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:50 pm

Broly was worth it. To many people loved him. He just screamed money. But the rest of them are just mah... So I think they should stick to new content for now. Reboots are for when you have run out of ideas.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:46 pm

Broly is uniquely suited to a reboot because

1. He's a cool concept, but his execution is flawed so there's room for improvement.
2. His backstory can be tied to Goku/Vegeta/Freeza and actual in story lore.
3. Unlike Cooler who is a stand in for Freeza, or Turles who is a stand in for the Saiyan invaders, or Slug who is a King Piccolo stand in, or Android 13 who is a Cell/Android stand in, or Janemba who is a Boo stand in; Broly is a bit fresher of a concept than the other movie villains

So retooling it can actually lead to an interesting canon story.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:07 am

Saturnine wrote:Well, if the Shadow Dragons came out of the Super DBs, that would at least justify their power. I mean restoring seven entire universes in a single wish is bound to generate more negative energy than wishing back a few people and conjuring up a pair of panties. Am I right or am I right? :P
I never likes the idea of the shadow dragons the dragonballs are a mistical group of items them having a negative effect like that isn't what they were designed for . It ruins the beauty of the dragonballs imo

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:52 pm

I would Like Cooler to be readded into canon. Also i would like Lord Slug, just because I can see the possibilities expanding on Namekians before the incident that made Kami come to earth.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:07 pm

As far as movies go, Bojack could be a good choice since he isn't a knock-off of a canon villain. Cooler is a likeable villain, but it would be kind of difficult to bring him into canon now since you'd have to explain where he has been all these years after the Namek arc. The rest of the movie villains could stay in DB Heroes.

As for GT, Baby would be the best choice since he was GT's best villain and it could reintroduce the Tuffles in the main storyline. The Shadow Dragons could also get rebooted since they were GT's best idea (but their execution and most of their designs sucked).
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:53 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:I would Like Cooler to be readded into canon. Also i would like Lord Slug, just because I can see the possibilities expanding on Namekians before the incident that made Kami come to earth.
"Readded"
He was never canon.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:33 am

With all the focus that's been on Freeza lately, it would be very difficult to introduce Cooler into the Toriyama canon because it would be very difficult to explain where the hell he was during Resurrection F, the Tournament of Power, the new movie and everything else that was going on with his brother. Plus, his sole gimmick is being "Freeza but stronger" and Freeza already got stronger so any attempt at Cooler would be a step down. By the same token, don't get your hopes up for 'Dragon Ball Super: Turles'.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:19 pm

Bergamo wrote:
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:I would Like Cooler to be readded into canon. Also i would like Lord Slug, just because I can see the possibilities expanding on Namekians before the incident that made Kami come to earth.
"Readded"
He was never canon.
Fair enough, I was just thinking of the GT scene where he appears in the background. So I am thinking the original anime canon. Which doesn't mean squat now.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:10 pm

the only one I want to see is Cooler but I hope they reboot nothing from GT
GT Fighter