Broly's story is better than Superman's

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dnavenom
Not-So-Newbie

Broly's story is better than Superman's

Post by dnavenom » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:29 pm

I see a lot of people complaining about Broly’s backstory and how absurd it was. But they are wrong! Most people try to use common logic on a character that they don`t understand.

Broly is the perfect depiction of a man without limitations or fear of any sort. While we grow and learn what good and bad is and form our moral code, we have our parents and our society to punish us if we make a mistake. When we are young we are the weak and we have to comply with what society tells us, we have to obey laws and keep a decent morality most of the time, from fear of punishment. Because everyone is stronger than us.

Now what happens when you grow up as the strongest being there is? When there is no force strong enough to punish you? Good and bad became subject to your own desires. What you want is good and the opposite is bad. Broly has the morality of the absolute ruler and tyrant. His wishes were never opposed. He is a slave to his own whims, no matter how illogical they are.

Power that corrupts. We know that Broly’s power doesn’t stop growing. Every now and then it needs to be unleashed. What his father did was bind his power and suppress it, but this most likely had a damaging effect on his mentality. Let’s add to this the trauma of being stabbed at a very young age. These events, combined with the inherit aggression and bloodlust of the Saiyans led to his current mental state.

In the end we have an immensely powerful being with no moral code and mental disorders. For me Broly’s behavior perfectly fits his character and story. Can a mentally ill person remember childhood traumas and act on them? Absolutely! Should they be logical and serious? Absolutely not! Anything can unlock a mental trauma, no matter how small it seems to “normal” people.

Why is his story, better than Superman’s? I said it above actually. A child that can lift a truck, is impervious to bullets and can kill his dad with a single strike would most likely turn out like Broly. Children don`t understand words from the moment you are born. You have to show them what's right and wrong from a position of power. Problem is you don`t have that power! What child would chose not to smash the face of the classmate that taunts him. Or playing in the kindergarten and accidentally sneezing and blowing some child 100 feet away, most likely killing it. Seems like Superman was born with absolute control over his powers, something Broly never pretended to do.

Like him or not, Broly is one of the best characters in DB Universe and his backstory is far better than most of the villains we`ve seen lately. You just have to put some thought in it.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Broly's story is better than Superman's

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:46 pm

Right, but you fail address what many consider to be one of the biggest problems: his hatred of Goku that stemmed from Goku crying in the pod next to him. A hatred so intense it would drive him to the point of insanity where he only shouts Gokus name.

Why did he have no hatred for Vegeta or King Vegeta, the man who literally stabs him and throws he and his father in the garbage to die.

Brolys backstory has it's holes and flaws. As for comparing it to Superman, that seems like a stretch as Superman's origins were done in an age where we didn't have a wide range of different lores and backstories already. He was one of the first cases of an alien being crashing on Earth and being raised as an earthling, only to discover his powers

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:11 am

I Just..I can't on this board sometimes. It's like some people here just choose to remain woefully of ignorant of "execution and character development".

Superman was the last survivor of his homeworld, sent to earth as his parents' final act before their planet was destroyed by cataclysm. His "story" stretches far beyond some cliche space baby origin, it has to do with him learning and developing ideals from a foster family that would make him the man he is today and ultimately embrace his role as man's savior.

Comparing his body of work to the work Toei has done with Broly is like comparing Beethoven to William Hung's audition of "She bangs" at American idol.

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:14 am

MKCSTEALTH wrote:Right, but you fail address what many consider to be one of the biggest problems: his hatred of Goku that stemmed from Goku crying in the pod next to him. A hatred so intense it would drive him to the point of insanity where he only shouts Gokus name.

Why did he have no hatred for Vegeta or King Vegeta, the man who literally stabs him and throws he and his father in the garbage to die.
He hates Goku for his power, not because he cried next to him as a baby. Remember when they first met on New Planet Vegeta? Even Paragus explain this later in the movie.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:09 am

Mnich wrote:
MKCSTEALTH wrote:Right, but you fail address what many consider to be one of the biggest problems: his hatred of Goku that stemmed from Goku crying in the pod next to him. A hatred so intense it would drive him to the point of insanity where he only shouts Gokus name.

He hates Goku for his power, not because he cried next to him as a baby. Remember when they first met on New Planet Vegeta? Even Paragus explain this later in the movie.
It's good to point out, but it's almost an unwinnable battle because casuals have convinced themselves of this so called fact, that is confirmed absolutely nowhere else than in their own heads.
But memes and troll logic reign supreme and applying critical thoughts to things and demanding proof is less valued, at least when it comes to our favorite kids' cartoons.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:20 am

Froot Loops are better than meatballs.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:15 pm

Cipher wrote:Froot Loops are better than meatballs.
Those are the words of a VERY wise man.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:08 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Mnich wrote:He hates Goku for his power, not because he cried next to him as a baby. Remember when they first met on New Planet Vegeta? Even Paragus explain this later in the movie.
It's good to point out, but it's almost an unwinnable battle because casuals have convinced themselves of this so called fact, that is confirmed absolutely nowhere else than in their own heads.
But memes and troll logic reign supreme and applying critical thoughts to things and demanding proof is less valued, at least when it comes to our favorite kids' cartoons.
Paragus' dialogue in the dub plays a big part in this. It completely omits the part about Broly reacting to Goku's power and instead has him trying to figure out why Broly got mad at the sight of Goku, leading up to him realizing they were born on the same day.

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Omniboy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:40 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:
Mnich wrote:He hates Goku for his power, not because he cried next to him as a baby. Remember when they first met on New Planet Vegeta? Even Paragus explain this later in the movie.
Paragus' dialogue in the dub plays a big part in this. It completely omits the part about Broly reacting to Goku's power and instead has him trying to figure out why Broly got mad at the sight of Goku, leading up to him realizing they were born on the same day.
I'm still confused as to how the english dub messed up that badly. Although I'm guessing because it was only bought up once, and ignored for the rest of the film in the Japanese version, and the people who did the dubbing for the english version missed it.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:53 pm

While I dont care either way about the topic I MUST thank the Topic Creator for allowing the brilliant posts of not only Cipher but also SupersaiyanZero who I REALLY hope isnt banned for good.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:09 am

dbgtFO wrote: He hates Goku for his power, not because he cried next to him as a baby. Remember when they first met on New Planet Vegeta? Even Paragus explain this later in the movie.
But memes and troll logic reign supreme and applying critical thoughts to things and demanding proof is less valued, at least when it comes to our favorite kids' cartoons.[/quote]

>theatrical movie
>casuals

Bro, no one is obligated to watch and know theatricals by heart, or give a damn about them for that matter.

Nafno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nafno » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:43 am

I watched the movies a long time ago, but I recall that he hated him because he cried. Now you're saying that he hates him because of his power... Gokuh's power? Why would he hate Gokuh because of his power? Broly was stronger than Gokuh around that time, and Gohan was on par.

If that's the way of fixing the crying thing, it is not very efficient.

If you could post or tell me the time in which such thing is stated, that would be great.

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:34 am

Nafno wrote:I watched the movies a long time ago, but I recall that he hated him because he cried. Now you're saying that he hates him because of his power... Gokuh's power? Why would he hate Gokuh because of his power? Broly was stronger than Gokuh around that time, and Gohan was on par.

If you could post or tell me the time in which such thing is stated, that would be great.
Well I just literally told you when it happened - when they first met on the New Planet Vegeta. At first Paragus thinks that maybe the device which controls Broly is broken, but in the next scene a scientist denies that, and says that the remote controller works perfectly. Then Paragus tells about Goku. It's everything about his power. Goku's weak power made Broly cry as a baby, not because Goku cried next to him. Years later Broly meets with him on the New Planet Vegeta, but this time Goku is much, much stronger and that awakens Broly's instincts as a Saiyan. Broly's character is all about his power, that's why he's such a psychopath in the old movies, and that's why Paragus had to control him. Here you have some screens from the movie, if you still don't believe me:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Omniboy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:19 am

Mnich wrote:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Yea. That's the scene. Although I don't think that Broly hates Goku for his power. As Paragus said, Broly just had his instincts awakened, as in Broly has an involuntary action towards those whose strength rivals his before turns into the legendary super Saiyan.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:10 am

Omniboy wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: It's good to point out, but it's almost an unwinnable battle because casuals have convinced themselves of this so called fact, that is confirmed absolutely nowhere else than in their own heads.
I'm still confused as to how the english dub messed up that badly. Although I'm guessing because it was only bought up once, and ignored for the rest of the film in the Japanese version, and the people who did the dubbing for the english version missed it.
Yeah, FUNimation's fuck-up in the regard lead to MANY years of confusion and false theories. Of course, this could all have been resolved if people actually WATCHED the Japanese version of DBZ movie 8. But for some reason, watching the original Japanese subbed version of any Dragon Ball media material, whether it be the animes, movies or TV specials, always seem to be too much of a task for some fans.

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Omniboy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:33 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Omniboy wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote: Paragus' dialogue in the dub plays a big part in this. It completely omits the part about Broly reacting to Goku's power and instead has him trying to figure out why Broly got mad at the sight of Goku, leading up to him realizing they were born on the same day.
Yeah, FUNimation's fuck-up in the regard lead to MANY years of confusion and false theories. Of course, this could all have been resolved if people actually WATCHED the Japanese version of DBZ movie 8. But for some reason, watching the original Japanese subbed version of any Dragon Ball media material, whether it be the animes, movies or TV specials, always seem to be too much of a task for some fans.

When I like 9, I do believe I watched it in the subbed version. But for some reason I never picked up on it. Having an english dub not tell us the true reason for Broly's reaction to Goku just made things worse for the movie as a whole, as well as our interpretation of the character of Broly.

Although I don't usually consider games to be the best source to get information about this show, in the first Budokai Tenkaichi game, in Broly's character profile, the game hints at us that Broly was just reacting to Goku's power via instincts.
Broly was born on Planet Vegeta the same day as Goku. The two even shared neighboring incubators. Having been subjected to Goku's relentless crying in the incubator would later serve as the pretext for the battle between them...Ordinarily, Broly's power was guided by a mind control device on his head by Paragas. Howevever, when Goku came to New Vegeta via his Instant Transmission, Broly's instincts were awakened, and he became so unruly that not even Paragas could control him
But the game app Dokkan Battle directly tells us that Broly instincts has been awakened by Goku's power.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:04 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Omniboy wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote: Paragus' dialogue in the dub plays a big part in this. It completely omits the part about Broly reacting to Goku's power and instead has him trying to figure out why Broly got mad at the sight of Goku, leading up to him realizing they were born on the same day.
The dub also had Broly say 'getting stronger...yes, much stronger!' instead of the line about his ki surging and overflowing so we had years of people thinking Broly's power level rises infinitely the longer he fights. ...although that's how Saiyans work now anyway :lol:

I wonder how that happened? The rest of the movie is pretty accurate other than spicing up Broly's smack talk and downplaying the fact that Roshi is piss drunk.

Nafno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nafno » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:12 pm

Mnich wrote:
Nafno wrote:I watched the movies a long time ago, but I recall that he hated him because he cried. Now you're saying that he hates him because of his power... Gokuh's power? Why would he hate Gokuh because of his power? Broly was stronger than Gokuh around that time, and Gohan was on par.

Well I just literally told you when it happened - when they first met on the New Planet Vegeta. At first Paragus thinks that maybe the device which controls Broly is broken, but in the next scene a scientist denies that, and says that the remote controller works perfectly. Then Paragus tells about Goku. It's everything about his power. Goku's weak power made Broly cry as a baby, not because Goku cried next to him. Years later Broly meets with him on the New Planet Vegeta, but this time Goku is much, much stronger and that awakens Broly's instincts as a Saiyan. Broly's character is all about his power, that's why he's such a psychopath in the old movies, and that's why Paragus had to control him. Here you have some screens from the movie, if you still don't believe me:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
I never said I didn't believe you.

Thanks for the caps, but I still don't make any sense out of it. Why did Gokuh's weak power made Broly cry (actually, I think the Japanese dialogue says that Gokuh made Broly cry and that he had a weak power, not that his weak power made Broly cry)? Why Gokuh becoming stronger awakens Broly's instincts? And then again, why does Broly hate Gokuh? Because even after watching the scene, there is no explanation whatsoever, and from the way the scene is storyboarded and portrayed, it is understandable to assume that Broly just hates Gokuh because he made him cry as a baby.

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Omniboy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:28 pm

Nafno wrote:
I never said I didn't believe you.

Thanks for the caps, but I still don't make any sense out of it. Why did Gokuh's weak power made Broly cry (actually, I think the Japanese dialogue says that Gokuh made Broly cry and that he had a weak power, not that his weak power made Broly cry)? Why Gokuh becoming stronger awakens Broly's instincts? And then again, why does Broly hate Gokuh? Because even after watching the scene, there is no explanation whatsoever, and from the way the scene is storyboarded and portrayed, it is understandable to assume that Broly just hates Gokuh because he made him cry as a baby.

Like I said in my other post he likely doesn't hate Goku. Broly's obsession with Goku stems from Goku being around or surpassing Broly's own strength. As well as Broly's natural tendency as a saiyan to want to fight powerful people .This doesn't take into account Broly's legendary super saiyan form. In order for Broly to become obsessed with them, I guess they have to have potential to surpass his normal super saiyan form, not his legendary form. Broly's obsession with Goku is involuntary.

The baby scene in question doesn't have anything to do with Broly hating Goku as much as it is Pargasus' feeling that they were destined to meet again, considering that as a baby, Broly was mocked by the doctors because Goku (had a power level of 2) managed to make Broly cry (despite Broly having a power level of 10,000.) Now that Goku and Broly are adults, its seems a similar event is happening, with Goku ( who is weaker) awakening Broly (who is stronger)... That is in Paragus' mind anyway.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:31 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:I Just..I can't on this board sometimes. It's like some people here just choose to remain woefully of ignorant of "execution and character development".

Superman was the last survivor of his homeworld, sent to earth as his parents' final act before their planet was destroyed by cataclysm. His "story" stretches far beyond some cliche space baby origin, it has to do with him learning and developing ideals from a foster family that would make him the man he is today and ultimately embrace his role as man's savior.

Comparing his body of work to the work Toei has done with Broly is like comparing Beethoven to William Hung's audition of "She bangs" at American idol.
Agreed.
Its irksome enough when DC fans make ignorant comments about the Dragon Ball franchise. When a DB fan does the same to DC, its, in a way, even more annoying. :problem: