What if Broly really is an ANCIENT Saiyan from THOUSANDS of years ago...?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

What if Broly really is an ANCIENT Saiyan from THOUSANDS of years ago...?

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:56 pm

That is, Toriyama’s version of Broly ofcourse from this upcoming movie.

The reason why i speculate this, is that this movie was confirmed to contain some time travel, or at least something with different timelines and the past. We also got a shot of what appears to be a Frozen Saiyan... (Broly ofcourse) what if he really is the first Super Saiyan to exist in the universe? (The true Legendary Super Saiyan) And that he has been frozen for thousands of years since his last rampage. Because they also made a comment stating that this movie was going to tie in to the origin of the Saiyans.

Because we all have this idea in mind of the Broly that we know from Toei (the Non-canon version) and that he was born the same day Goku was born. But like i said, this is Toriyama’s story, so it doesn’t have to follow that line of events. He can do whatever he likes with the character and completely change his backstory.

What do you think about this theory guys?

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: What if Broly really is an ANCIENT Saiyan from THOUSANDS of years ago...?

Post by Bergamo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:24 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:That is, Toriyama’s version of Broly ofcourse from this upcoming movie.

The reason why i speculate this, is that this movie was confirmed to contain some time travel, or at least something with different timelines and the past. We also got a shot of what appears to be a Frozen Saiyan... (Broly ofcourse) what if he really is the first Super Saiyan to exist in the universe? (The true Legendary Super Saiyan) And that he has been frozen for thousands of years since his last rampage. Because they also made a comment stating that this movie was going to tie in to the origin of the Saiyans.

Because we all have this idea in mind of the Broly that we know from Toei (the Non-canon version) and that he was born the same day Goku was born. But like i said, this is Toriyama’s story, so it doesn’t have to follow that line of events. He can do whatever he likes with the character and completely change his backstory.

Isn't the first super saiyan Yamoshi?
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokitalo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:52 pm

Actually, I was thinking the same thing. It's very possible Yamoshi's origin got folded into Broly's, or perhaps they know each other: maybe Broly was one of the evil Saiyans who Yamoshi had to stop.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:55 pm

For some reason Boroly's wearing armor similar to Freeza's men in the teaser. And the first Super Saiyan is Yamoshi

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:40 pm

Oh yeah! Right! I totally forgot about Yamoshi everyone! My bad. Well they MAY just retcon that, but such a huge retcon does indeed sound like a far stretch.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:14 pm

Not a bad question.

We are going to get Saiyan-history in the new movie but the origin-story will probably go back to Planet Vegeta / King Vegeta / Bardock / Paragus-era, as also Freeza is involved.
Based on the info we know now i'd assume they don't go back as far as Planet Sadala or Yamoshi, what we'd first expected.
Therefore i see no connection with Broly being that ancient. He could have been frozen in the ice for a while, but i don't think it's gonna be thousands of years.

But: Toriyama has stated at the end the story will be very large scale and dramatic. So we could maybe end up with a Broly-evil Saiyan from Yamoshis-era connection.
The door to a more distant past is not completely closed.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:31 pm

Inb4 Yamoshi isn’t brought up at all. I’d be PISSED. We can’t get into saiyan lore and not talking about its more interesting story, that being Yamoshi, the first Super Saiyan, and his rebellion against the evil saiyans. Lets hope Broly is from that time period.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:31 pm

Bergamo wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:That is, Toriyama’s version of Broly ofcourse from this upcoming movie.

Isn't the first super saiyan Yamoshi?
First Super Saiyan, but if Vegeta's words about Kale are taken into account Legendery/Berserker Super Saiyan may be something older.

Broly could be the beginning of S-Cells, or at least the stage at which they would allow for transformation. But in his age the power was primitive and unrefined, an unstable transformation that grannted obsene strength but at the cost of the users control. After subsequent generations however the S-Cells evolved and the SS transformation became more refined and controlable but much weaker with the odd throw back like Kale.

Or Broly could simple be one of those throwbacks.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:09 pm

How would he still be alive if he was a Saiyan from thousands of years ago? Wouldn't he just be a dead ice cube? And as far as the "time travel" goes I think that is just going to be througha a series of flashbacks and showing things from other times not necessarily having actual time travel like with future trunks

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:55 pm

PFM18 wrote:How would he still be alive if he was a Saiyan from thousands of years ago? Wouldn't he just be a dead ice cube? And as far as the "time travel" goes I think that is just going to be througha a series of flashbacks and showing things from other times not necessarily having actual time travel like with future trunks
Its basically the same thing as Captain America being frozen for 75 years. They’re dropping obvious hints that ice has something to do with the movie.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:02 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:How would he still be alive if he was a Saiyan from thousands of years ago? Wouldn't he just be a dead ice cube? And as far as the "time travel" goes I think that is just going to be througha a series of flashbacks and showing things from other times not necessarily having actual time travel like with future trunks
Its basically the same thing as Captain America being frozen for 75 years. They’re dropping obvious hints that ice has something to do with the movie.
I mean yeah in some capacity that must be the case. Obviously it appears he is going to be stuck in ice but I never really liked that idea personally. Even with say Captain America, it makes no sense to me. How does being frozen suddenly make you essentially immortal?

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:12 pm

Maybe a blend of Second Coming and Bio. They find his dead body preserved in ice and clone him.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:22 am

PFM18 wrote:How does being frozen suddenly make you essentially immortal?
The colder it gets, the less lifeforms are capable of operating to the point, where everything just stands still and not even the tiniest microorganisms can do anything. So you can't age, if all the processes within your body are frozen.
The problem with putting people on ice is that since the cells are full of water, being frozen will cause them to expand and eventually rupture. Thus even if you manage to thaw them out, they'll be dead anyways.
Maybe specific races in DB have biological countermeasure to getting their cells ruptured :think:

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:42 am

I know acknowledged this later but Broly is not the legendary Super Saiyan. Yamoshi is the legendary Super Saiyan. But it is weird how they're gonna introduce him. Freeza is obviously gonna get his hands on Broly because he is wearing a fighting jacket, so the question is where did Broly come from? The Freeza Army is obviously watching over the universe so Broly and Paragus are somewhere in the universe chilling and Freeza comes and takes control of him, killing Paragus in the process. <- Most likely. Or, Freeza gets ahold of Dragon Balls and wishes for Broly to combat Gokou and Vegeta. <- Not likely. I really don't want them to do the first suggestion because Gokou, Vegeta, and Tarble are suppose to be the last Saiyans but since it's a recreation of Broly, it wouldn't be much of a problem.

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokitalo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:29 am

PFM18 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
I mean yeah in some capacity that must be the case. Obviously it appears he is going to be stuck in ice but I never really liked that idea personally. Even with say Captain America, it makes no sense to me. How does being frozen suddenly make you essentially immortal?
There actually was a scientific explanation for Captain America staying alive in the ice that Marvel shared recently...
https://geektyrant.com/news/marvel-reve ... in-the-mcu

As for Broly, I suppose his massive power or unique transformation/physiology would somehow protect him. That often seems to be the case in more recent fictional examples of cryofreezing in fiction: Aang from Avatar the Last Airbender was able to survive being frozen in the ice because accessing the Avatar state protected him, as I recall

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:48 pm

they would have to hell some kind of an explanation to help me understand how a ssj1 can fight 2 ssj blue opponents at one time. Please don't mention the headache that is kale either.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:41 pm

He could be the incarnation of Yamoshi.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:42 am

I think Broly is going to keep to his "mutation" status. It would explain his counterpart in Kale. It could be possible that his form of Super Saiyan is that original, primal Saiyan form that Yamoshi once fought. And now instead of every Saiyan being that destructive, we get one in every so few having that mutation

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:51 am

Not likely, we saw that his original outfit was of the Age 731 and further on Frieza Army, so nope.

Yedis
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yedis » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:30 am

I think it is leaning toward Broly having a similar backstory that he did in the old DBZ movie.

There's a lot of similarities already to the first movie.

Also why would they compare the paths of Broly, Vegeta, and Goku in the preview synopsis if he wasn't a Saiyan from Planet Vegeta?