How do you feel about Freeza being an ally?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: How do you feel about Freeza being an ally?

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:18 pm

Bergamo wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Bergamo wrote: Trunks is like a bad OC, but only if you hate original designs. He's the first Saiyan to have a hair color other than black, and he actually takes fights seriously.
I like Trunks, but he's designed to purposefully look and be cool to the point it almost comes across as trying too hard. Jacket, sword, comes from the future to save the world, he's the son of one of the main characters and a product of an unlikely ship, has access to a unique transformation only known to the main character beforehand and he defeats the previous main villain without breaking a sweat. In any other story, he'd be seen as a deviantart self-insert Mary Sue. Luckily enough, Toriyama doesn't make him an edgelord and he's actually a lovable nerd who screws up a lot but tries his best, which is what gives him his charm, but his introduction signals the point where Dragon Ball goes downhill from the Freeza arc (as much as I like the Boo arc).
I guess I can see where you are coming from, but "jump the shark" usually describes the point at which a series becomes irredeemably bad, and Dragon Ball has yet to hit the point of no return.
I mean, no series is "irredeemably bad." The term just refers to a real low point. And I think we've been having real low points for quite some time now.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:21 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
Doctor. wrote: I like Trunks, but he's designed to purposefully look and be cool to the point it almost comes across as trying too hard. Jacket, sword, comes from the future to save the world, he's the son of one of the main characters and a product of an unlikely ship, has access to a unique transformation only known to the main character beforehand and he defeats the previous main villain without breaking a sweat. In any other story, he'd be seen as a deviantart self-insert Mary Sue. Luckily enough, Toriyama doesn't make him an edgelord and he's actually a lovable nerd who screws up a lot but tries his best, which is what gives him his charm, but his introduction signals the point where Dragon Ball goes downhill from the Freeza arc (as much as I like the Boo arc).
I guess I can see where you are coming from, but "jump the shark" usually describes the point at which a series becomes irredeemably bad, and Dragon Ball has yet to hit the point of no return.
I mean, no series is "irredeemably bad." The term just refers to a real low point. And I think we've been having real low points for quite some time now.
Dragon Ball is more at a middle point in my opinion. It's better than early Dragon Ball, but not as good as anything in Z.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:52 am

Completely against.