Toxic Debate in the DBS Fanbase

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Monna

Re: Toxic Debate in the DBS Fanbase

Post by Monna » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:13 am

I felt the manga was fine up until the ToP began, which it has been horrible ever since. I love the anime version of Super however, and especially the ToP for introducing a handful of fun new characters. The manga hasn't done any of the new ToP fighters justice unless you're a fan of Kale.
Bergamo wrote:It's even worse in places like Narutoforums, and every month in the manga discussion form, you have people make the obligatory, "Traceatoro is a joke," comment.
Narutoforums is one of the most toxic places to discuss anything. There is no DB discussion worth having there.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:36 am

I don't follow manga topic, but, i saw some toxic elements when people say GT was overall beter show than Super, it is one thing to disagree and say why, but some people just went "You must be stupid and blind of nostalgia, if you think GT is better" i mean, come on...
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:49 am

Disparaging other communities is strictly against our guidelines.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:22 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Adding on to what TheDevilsCorpse has to say, I find this all incredibly easy:

If you see someone making statements and contributions that are not in good faith and do not live up to the community guidelines, do not engage with them and report their posts using the built-in functionality so a moderator can address it. The age-old saying of "don't feel the trolls" does actually work.

If you are a/the person that seems to get into foul-mouthed arguments anywhere you go, well, you're the lowest common denominator and you're the problem.

Be person #1. Don't be person #2. Once that falls into place, so does everything else. We'll help you if you help us!

People want to be here even when it's begrudgingly so. They're always reading, they're always looking to respond, and they're always looking for a way back in. They want to have the last word. They want your negative attention. Don't give them the satisfaction.

We can't help you out there in other communities, but if you set the example you want to see here and take that outlook and behavior elsewhere in your travels, that's an amazing start.

(That all being said, negative criticism of a thing you like is not an indictment of you as a person. Even the "friendly" people fall victim to this. If someone is responding in good faith with legitimate points that appear to have thoughtful analysis behind them, that's literally the point of what we're trying to do here.)
Honestly... I think I will use this advice here and elsewhere. Sometimes it's easy to get wrapped up in things but you're right, I empower these people, I give them a reason to get more comments in when they are known to be negative and toxic (talking elsewhere).

I actually really like this post so that's why I felt the need to respond here. I'm glad the site owner actually cares about behavior moderating.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:43 pm

Bergamo wrote:Is it really rational to think one version of DBS is absolute garbage while believing the other is just great? These cancer debatea plague every thread related to the DBS manga, and tend to make their way into completely unrelated discussions. Because of that, I have to ask, why? Both mediums have a bland Jiren, and the Zeno button, so how can only one suffer from being unwatchable/unreadable. Discuss.
That same argument could be used against adaptations from novels to movies, movies to TV shows, etc. Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Last Airbender are very, very roughly the same story (so rough that it's basically a mountain range), but I don't think anyone's going to say the movie wasn't an abomination of life itself.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

R. Daneel Olivaw
Not-So-Newbie

Post by R. Daneel Olivaw » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:45 pm

Bergamo wrote:These cancer debatea plague every thread related to the DBS manga, and tend to make their way into completely unrelated discussions.
But it's not toxic to call things that upset you cancer, right?

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:54 pm

R. Daneel Olivaw wrote:
Bergamo wrote:These cancer debatea plague every thread related to the DBS manga, and tend to make their way into completely unrelated discussions.
Exactly that's really toxic as well. Makes me sick when people say such things, that disease is not something to play around with.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:28 pm

R. Daneel Olivaw wrote:
People saying, "can't wait to see how Tracetaro will disappoint this month," isn't cancer. Do you want an objective definition of cancer? How about comments that blatantly violate forum guidelines?
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:48 pm

I notice a lot of threads end up in the 'hate-or-love-DBS-debate'.
DBS is controversial amongst the fandom.
But there is no need for every discussion or thread to be fed with this head-or-love-thing.
Constructive debate with other fans should be be based on a certain degree of acknowledgement and mutual respect of having the same interests.
If person A likes Super and person B hates it, it's very difficult to have a good debate concerning the topic.
There should be topics regarding the quality of Super, but not every single topic.
For instance in a thread about 'what future arcs could there be in Super?' an answer like 'none at all, it has been horrible enough like it was' doesn't bring anything useful to the thread at such.
If you really don't like DBS, what enjoyment would you get from joining in-depth debate concerning DBS in the first place?

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:19 pm

My only beef with the Super manga is how they skipped Resurrection F. If you had no access to the anime, then this omission is jarring with later references to it.

My only other beef, if I were to be nit picky, is the differences between the manga and anime. You can expect there to be some differences as there were with the original manga/anime of the past, but with Super’s case it’s a little extreme. They both hit the main plot points though seeing as they’re both working from the same outline so this is largely just a nitpick.

Other than that it’s fine.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

BanterTheGreat

Post by BanterTheGreat » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:27 pm

I myself left other places because whenever the Manga released a chapter 90% of the forums was about how the chapter was horrible and any reasonable discussion was either downvoted or just drawn out.
It was a bit of a dissapointment seeing the same thing happen here slowly. It is hard to have a normal discussion about a chapter when half of the threads are just Manga Vs Anime, or just talking how the other medium is plain utter garbage, even in the threads of said medium.

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:32 pm

BanterTheGreat wrote:I myself left other places because whenever the Manga released a chapter 90% of the forums was about how the chapter was horrible and any reasonable discussion was either downvoted or just drawn out.
It was a bit of a dissapointment seeing the same thing happen here slowly. It is hard to have a normal discussion about a chapter when half of the threads are just Manga Vs Anime, or just talking how the other medium is plain utter garbage, even in the threads of said medium.
I mean, you hVe the manga forum to talk about the manga without comparing it to the anime.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:09 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Some people have certain preferences to specific mediums -- with regards to storytelling -- that are unfortunately more extreme than others. Some people don't have a middle ground. Either something is great or it's terrible. Now there are a lot people who are very much rational and take into the positive and negative and come to a fair conclusion about which certain medium -- in their opinion -- excels at storytelling compared to other and why. But there are those who are just so frustrated with the direction a specific narrative will take that they will ultimately just focus on the negatives and not take into account that what they resent about one medium may be very well present -- in the very same fashion -- in the other medium they could vastly prefer.
Right, people are going to have their own individual preferences and sometimes very strong feelings about that. The biggest problem comes, I think, when the discourse switches from the subject matter to attacking the other people participating. "This is shit and you're shit for liking it." I see this happen in a lot of fandoms on the internet. I bailed out of Star Wars entirely shortly after The Last Jedi came out because it turned into such a nasty, hostile place. People feel strongly about their entertainment and they're going to have strong reactions because of that, but there's really no call to attack other people because they don't agree with you or they like something you don't.

Another issue is deliberate baiting and drive-by antagonism being thrown into unrelated discussions. Like throwing "btw, the anime/manga sucks" into a talk about...let's say music or action figures just to have some hypothetical examples. Has noting to do with the topic at hand, is probably there just to provoke a reaction, and often the discussion is derailed into more of what I mentioned above. That's not new in this fandom from what I've seen but the schism between people who feel strongly about the manga and those who feel strongly about the anime makes it really easy to fish for reactions.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:48 am

Bergamo wrote:Is it really rational to think one version of DBS is absolute garbage while believing the other is just great? These cancer debates plague every thread related to the DBS manga and tend to make their way into completely unrelated discussions. Because of that, I have to ask, why? Both mediums have a bland Jiren, and the Zeno button, so how can only one suffer from being unwatchable/unreadable. Discuss.

Edited for grammar.
the fans should be happy that there are 2 versions of which they can enjoy and if you do not like one, this is other one ... I liked more the arc of black/zamasu in the manga but the other arcs I prefer the anime but I still like both versions although i prefer the anime version