I've struggled to understand the purpose of Gods of Destruction ever since BotG and Super didn't help

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kokonoe
Not Banned

I've struggled to understand the purpose of Gods of Destruction ever since BotG and Super didn't help

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:38 am

We're essentially told that their purpose is to destroy and in destruction comes creation, but...they completely wipe out planets and all races are extinguished. Some gods destroy based on a whim and not for any actual positive reason either.

So why does this role exist anyway? How does destruction lead to creation when they vaporize all life on a planet in a instant?

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Re: I've struggled to understand the purpose of Gods of Destruction ever since BotG and Super didn't help

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:43 am

Kokonoe wrote:We're essentially told that their purpose is to destroy and in destruction comes creation, but...they completely wipe out planets and all races are extinguished. Some gods destroy based on a whim and not for any actual positive reason either.

So why does this role exist anyway? How does destruction lead to creation when they vaporize all life on a planet in a instant?
It's generally supposed to be a "long-term planning" kind of thing.

Gods of Destruction can choose the scale at which to destroy, and the targets of destruction depend on the destroyer's own interpretation of their role in the Universe. So, in the short term, erasing that problematic race entirely might seem bad, but if they were a big enough nuisance, in a few thousand/million years, the Universe might even be better off.

It all depends on how their decisions gel with the actions/motives of the Kaioshin they share rank with.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: I've struggled to understand the purpose of Gods of Destruction ever since BotG and Super didn't help

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:00 am

Our perspective on them is skewed because the one we know best and introduced the concept, Beerus, is basically a case study on how not to be a God of Destruction. If he did his job properly there'd be no Freeza, there'd be no Buu and there'd be more than 28 planets with civilised life.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:46 am

They're supposed to work with Kaioshins and humans to improve the society of their respective universes. Also, keep the universal balance, whatever the fuck that means.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:39 am

Like how a forest fire sometimes is needed to burn down an area so that it can revitalize it, so is the role of the Gods of Destruction. A forest fire can remove disease ridden trees and promote growth and wildlife habitat once it’s done. It seems horrible but it is a necessary part of life.

Just as we all live and eventually die, our primary purpose being to procreate and create new life.

It’s a personified version of the natural order. A being who acts as the forest fire but decides when it burns rather than left to chance. It’s death deciding when to take you. Because the job requires them to be this force of nature that’s why they must stay neutral.

Their actions are evil in any other circumstance, but they are not to be seen as “people” and generally probably not supposed to even directly talk to mortals who would otherwise never even know they existed and would assume these things are a force of nature.

Beerus is just bad at his job.

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:43 am

Toriyama has already answered this question in 2013:
Source: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... yama-2013/
"In order to provide a balance to the constantly increasing number of planets, the God of Destruction destroys [them], but he does not act on Kaiōshin’s orders; he destroys according to his own individual judgment. Except, he is capricious, so he will destroy even an important world without a second thought, or when he finds it bothersome, let someone else act as an agent of destruction."
It's simply to prevent overpopulation just like Thanos was trying to do. It's not that destruction leads to creation. The Kaioshin's job is to create. There is a balance of creation and destruction that determines the mortal level, which really corresponds to the number of mortals in that universe as well as their status as developed civilizations. If the Kaioshin doesn't do their job, the mortal level drops. If the Hakaishin over does his job, the mortal level drops. Most of the time, we need more creation than destruction and that is why, the Hakaishin sleeps for many years intermittently.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:54 pm

bleed0range wrote:Like how a forest fire sometimes is needed to burn down an area so that it can revitalize it, so is the role of the Gods of Destruction. A forest fire can remove disease ridden trees and promote growth and wildlife habitat once it’s done. It seems horrible but it is a necessary part of life.

Just as we all live and eventually die, our primary purpose being to procreate and create new life.

It’s a personified version of the natural order. A being who acts as the forest fire but decides when it burns rather than left to chance. It’s death deciding when to take you. Because the job requires them to be this force of nature that’s why they must stay neutral.

Their actions are evil in any other circumstance, but they are not to be seen as “people” and generally probably not supposed to even directly talk to mortals who would otherwise never even know they existed and would assume these things are a force of nature.

Exactly. I Agree 100%

Master Xar
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Master Xar » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:32 pm

PFM18 wrote:
bleed0range wrote:Like how a forest fire sometimes is needed to burn down an area so that it can revitalize it, so is the role of the Gods of Destruction. A forest fire can remove disease ridden trees and promote growth and wildlife habitat once it’s done. It seems horrible but it is a necessary part of life.

Exactly. I Agree 100%
Overpopulation can definitely ruin something. I can see how things have to be balanced that everything needs to be something kept to a minimum. All things have a method a way to do things that need to be worked on or else it won’t be quite as intricate. Some people truly don’t deserve it until experience and showmanship holds true. One could say be there are far more involved in this system than one could think.

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:42 pm

I also want to know what do the angels get out of serving the hakaishins when I believe they can easily do what they can considering their abilities and superior power.

It's bizarre that we once thought Beerus was supposed to sleep for decades or longer in order to keep the destruction in check, too bad he extremely lazy and Shin didn't do much about it.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:03 am

They do have a purpose but the first GoD we were introduced to has been incompetent as hell so it made us wonder if they had one to begin with.

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:45 am

Waluigiman wrote:I also want to know what do the angels get out of serving the hakaishins when I believe they can easily do what they can considering their abilities and superior power.

It's bizarre that we once thought Beerus was supposed to sleep for decades or longer in order to keep the destruction in check, too bad he extremely lazy and Shin didn't do much about it.
This is a question that has been asked since Whis's role was introduced. Unlike a Hakaishin, who anyone can become, all Angels are children of the Daishinkan. Their position, while is to "serve" the Hakaishin, in the end is higher. When Zeno said he'll erase all the universes, the Angels don't get erased and Whis said that is because his position is different from Beerus. Even the 6 universes that Zeno erased before, the 6 Angels for those universes probably are all inactive but still exist and weren't erased. The future timeline, that was erased by Zeno, should also still have Angels. What do they get out of it? Nothing. That's their role and part of their job. Do you think any of the Kais get anything out monitoring planets? They simply do what they've been taught to do since they were born.

In the future, they may do a story about fallen angels who became selfish and didn't want to serve the Hakaishin.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707