Top 5 Most Controversial Modern DB Plots

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superfan2024
Regular

Top 5 Most Controversial Modern DB Plots

Post by superfan2024 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:19 pm

We all know the crazy shit going on with Roshi in the manga right now, so list your top 5 controversial modern DB plots.

Ironically, I don't have my list ready (probably will never make one anyways), but Roshi vs Jiren is in my list. Vegeta not winning against Freeza in RoF was also pretty controversial and triggered a lot of fans so yeah that's also in my list.

superfan2024
Regular

Re: Top 5 Most Controversial Modern DB Plots

Post by superfan2024 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:17 pm

Woah, this thread was neglected pretty high.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:41 pm

1- The biggest one has to be Broly being brought into "canon". I personally think (and hope) they're going to knock it out of the park with this one but that doesn't change the fact that they should've done something more original.

2- The ending to Black's arc. I think I'm in the minority who liked Trunks' timeline getting destroyed but that clearly didn't set well with a lot of fans who think everything he went through was for nothing.

3- Piccolo leaving Champa's tournament. Fans had been anticipating Piccolo doing something major ever since BOG and just when we thought he'd have that moment against Frost, they pulled the rug from under him in favor of letting Vegeta take over.

I can't think of anything else as nothing from what I remember caused as big of a divide within the fan base as these 3.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:08 pm

Rapist Roshi. That was an actual problem worth getting mad about. The series would be better off never ever doing it again. Rest of the in-universe stuff, while frustrating isn't controversial.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:21 pm

The following are the plots that, Personally, were the most controversial:

- Super Saiyan Rage;
- Trunks learning the Mafuba technique in five minutes after watching a Youtube video from Piccolo;
- Vegito's "character arc" in Super;
- The Spirit Sword of Love and Friendship;
- The ending of the Future Trunks arc.
I think I'm in the minority who liked Trunks' timeline getting destroyed but that clearly didn't set well with a lot of fans who think everything he went through was for nothing.
I seem to brilliantly agree with most people I've met that the problem of such an ending was not the idea per se (which was very original, because usually the progatonists undo the villain's nefarious work using the Dragon Balls), but the fact that Goku and friends witnessed multiversal genocide, and 30 minutes later were eating bacon and having fun with each other. They didn't even hold a memorial for the countless innocents who perished because of Zamasu. Very anticlimactic.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:19 pm

Freeza in the "Resurrection of Freeza" aspect of the revival. We could have done without that. His grand performance in the Tournament of Power does ultimately make up for the previous debacle, but I think somehow getting the tyrant to return maybe through the machinations of Beerus who requests Whis to train him in preparation for the tournament would have sufficed. Through that means, Freeza could have acquired god ki and had his extraordinary power growth better rationalised by having a teacher of Whis' calibre be the one responsible for. It further adds another curl into the tenuously murky demeanour that is Whis and Beerus since they would have been the ones responsible for bringing back Goku's greatest nemesis and arming him with an astronomical degree of power -- perhaps adding more tension between the Z group and Beerus to reinforce how their priorities don't necessarily completely align.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:51 pm

- Dragon Ball Minus

- Dragon Ball Super reintroducing Broly for another movie

- The ending of the Future Trunks arc

- Episode Of Bardock

- Resurrection F

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:10 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:I seem to brilliantly agree with most people I've met that the problem of such an ending was not the idea per se, but the fact that Goku and friends witnessed multiversal genocide, and 30 minutes later were eating bacon and having fun with each other. They didn't even hold a memorial for the countless innocents who perished because of Zamasu. Very anticlimactic.
That's a good point. What I like about it is that it shows no matter what you do to prevent something, somethings are just meant to happen. Trunks cheated fate by going back in time to save Goku and find a way to beat the androids and although he did it, he still lost his timeline cause it was meant to be, he simply delayed the inevitable. Same thing with Goku, he saved him form the heart virus but he still died against Cell so the end result is the same, even if one road was prevented.

climatestrange

Post by climatestrange » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:10 pm

1. Bringing Freeza back twice
Both times were pretty polarizing. The second time was definitely handled better, but it still proved how reliant modern DB is on reusing old characters and plot points.

2. Forcing Boo out of multiple arcs for the same reason
Boo is one of the most unique characters and yet they never use him. His one episode to shine in Super was great and got people excited to see him in the ToP. Too bad it never happened.

3. Ribrianne, Caulifla, and Kale
These three characters are probably the most controversial ones introduced in Super. I have mixed feelings on all of them, personally.

4. The last two episodes of the Future Trunks arc
The Potara retcon, waste of Vegetto, random Genki Dama Sword out of nowhere, and then the sudden erasure of the future timeline were all pretty controversial.

5. The end of Resurrection F
A lot of people were upset about Vegeta getting robbed of his chance for revenge, although I never personally cared about that aspect. Whis having the power to reverse time and undoing the only interesting part of the movie (Freeza blowing up Earth) was also controversial. Goku killing Freeza at the end was also pretty bad since the movie set up the idea that Goku and Vegeta would have to work together.

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:01 pm

climatestrange wrote:3. Ribrianne, Caulifla, and Kale
These three characters are probably the most controversial ones introduced in Super. I have mixed feelings on all of them, personally.
I think those are important characters to talk about climatestrange, so thanks for bringing them up. :) :idea: :arrow:

I think the Controversy that was around Ribrianne mainly and mostly came down to the personal preferance in what fans want in their various characters and how Fans Reacted to that.

I always have said the Fans #1 Right All Fan Have is to Like & Dislike ANY character or concept in a story you choose too and you have the right to give reasons on why they don't appeal to you without the treat of bullying and/or harassment. While debate can be had on those opinions, it is to never lead to bullying or harassing fans into a different mindset.

However it seemed that what made Ribrianne controversy was the Dislikers of her went Overboard in the Dislike, not here on Kanzenshuu really, but in other places like YouTube, Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube Videos and other social media sites that gave way to forms of bullying and harassment of the character and at times to her fans in what I saw from dislikers to many times. It even seem to go as far as even when reading fanart profiles of fans the drew her cause they liked here, that those fans asked Not to be Hated for Liking Ribrianne, that was IMO what unacceptable and showed that the controversy went to far.

Fans dislike of her has greatly died down since Super ended and her Fanbase and well as U2 is slowing growing as well.

But it was uncalled for to go that far in such dislike. Ribrianne is part of the Mythos Now, she appeals to a Number of Fans I have meet here and on the Net, so fans in the future need to learn that not all characters will appeal to you and just to accept that is going to happen and not to go overblown the dislike.

Caulifla and Kale I was not as in-depth about, so I give a basic view of it, yea I get the too easy power-ups of SSJs they had and I get why that got under people's skin. But like how others have brought up how Goten and Trunks seem to get it way easy as well due to gentics, the fact that U6 Saiyans where said I think was said in a magizine article or the manga to be gentical different then U7 saiyans, the fact that SSJ-Red seemingly just came about out of-a-knowhere legend about 5 Saiyans holding hands that surpassed the Legandary SSJ form all the sudden, really everyone has opinions on these and more but the basic points are that DB has been having controversial powerups sine Z, so it is more of questionable writing by writers that should be the problem then it should be laying it on the characters themselves.

I feel that Caulifla and Kale have well overcome these and any personal preferance problems some fans with their characterization wise and have gained a good and deserved well size fanbase out of it, I included in that fanbase as well! :wink:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Omniboy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:06 pm

I'm not sure about top 5, but the tingly back thing with Caulifla sent the fandom in a frenzy if I recall.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:14 pm

I don't know about top 5, but Krillin's recruitment fight with Goku certainly sparked a lot of controversy, at least around here.

At the time of release, the episode was hotly debated about "power-scaling" despite the fact that established power consistency wasn't the point; people latched onto SSB Goku vs. Krillin for all the wrong reasons, and it really solidified my hatred of "muh power-scale!"-type mentalities.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:14 pm

climatestrange wrote:A lot of people were upset about Vegeta getting robbed of his chance for revenge.
I think he should've killed him but in regards to him not getting his revenge, I think that can be debatable as he still got to beat Freeza into the ground and stand over him while he was on his hands and knees. Super went a step further by not only extending the fight and making it more brutal, it even had Goku get completely wrecked by him which made Vegeta shine even more as he was the only one who beat him in combat, despite Goku getting the kill. I understand why fans equate his revenge with killing him but for me, I'm happy with what he got and think it was a good payback. It could be worse, Vegeta could've been the one to go first only to get wrecked and have Goku step in and save him while getting to beat down Freeza. You also have to take into account that without RF, Vegeta's last encounter with him would've been Namek and we all know how that ended so despite it not being perfect, it's better than nothing.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:34 pm

Roshi killing power levels
Bringing back Freeza
Vegetto becoming the biggest pile of trash in the history of the anime history
Trunks becoming stronger than Vegetto(though he deserved it)
Goku getting UI

Honorable mention: Vegeta defeating Toppo via O MY CABBA.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:30 am

- Super Saiyan Rage
- S-Cells
- Caulifla's Tingly Back
- Freeza's 4 Month Gains
- MVP #17
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

climatestrange

Post by climatestrange » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:25 am

Logania wrote: - MVP #17
Was this very controversial? It seems like No. 17's treatment was one of the most widely-praised aspects of the ToP. I've only heard some mild criticisms of it, but maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:45 am

climatestrange wrote:Was this very controversial? It seems like No. 17's treatment was one of the most widely-praised aspects of the ToP. I've only heard some mild criticisms of it, but maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention.
He has been praised a lot more after all the events of Super and time has passed, but all throughout the Tournament of Power Arc during it's run, a number of people disliked 17 like

-Getting around the level of SSJB in 10 years
-Training and defeating poachers to get such strong gains
-Having a lot of moments highlighted to him instead of other characters
-Him "keeping up" with Toppo and landing a blow on Jiren
-Being the winner of the tournament, despite being just brought back into the series in a long time

I see these being brought up back then and even sometimes now. Maybe since I like 17 and saw these complaints brought up everywhere, it stuck into my head more than other things lol
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:44 am

1. Characters coming back after being off screen and getting huge power ups just because they have returned

3. Stamina issues in the Tournament of Power.

4. 17's role

4. Universe 7 doing everything in the Tournament of Power

5. Broly's return

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:10 pm

- Broly's Return
    - The Back Tingle
      - The ending of the Future Trunks arc
        - Having Boo falling asleep in the U6 tournament and ToP
          - The Stamina issues in the Tournament of Power.
            Honorable mention: Super Saiyan Blue Evolution and The Potara Retcon.

MKCSTEALTH
            OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:42 pm

For me:

End of the Trunks Arc- very rushed with little explanation and bizarre final note to leave Future Trunks on

Potara retcon- It was already established previously that the Potara fusion could be undone with a wish from the Dragonballs. They could have stayed fused until they returned to the past and we could have seen some character interaction and reaction to a fused Goku and Vegeta

Android 17s power- I get that training seemed to be the answer to characters reaching these high tears, but 17s growth was a bit ridiculous. Would've been nice had he shown up when Beerus did. He would've forgotten all about the Super Saiyan God lol

S-Cells/Tingling Back: Again, I'm not alone. I wasn't a fan of the tingly back explanation which nearly ruined the first in series Female Super Saiyan.

The predictable ToP outcome: I loved the idea of the Tournament of Power, but I felt the whole execution was not as good as it could have been. Having the universes brought back was predictable. U7s victory was a given.