Dragon Ball Super -- manga vs anime

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

ahill1
Regular

Dragon Ball Super -- manga vs anime

Post by ahill1 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:21 am

Sorry if such thread was already created, but seeing as how I couldn't find it, I'd like to ask: which medium do you think it's better telling the story proposed by Akira Toriyama, and why?

I think the manga is better as far as consistency with power scaling goes, with less sudden power ups and inconsistencies in its hierarchy, mainly due to having a writer commanding all chapters published monthly, whereas the anime doesn't contain a single editor handling out every episode. Even so, the anime, in my opinion, is better as far as entertainment goes, with its soundtracks and more lasting/long-duration scenes being better to flash out some moments supposed to be epic and transformations. I also think the Zamasu saga was considerably more entertaining in the anime, with Black being a better vilain there than his manga-counterpart.

dragon boss z
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Super -- manga vs anime

Post by dragon boss z » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:25 am

I think the manga is telling the story in a more concise manner, but the anime is more in depth with way more character interactions and overall has more to give. Plus it is in motion and has music. But while the anime has more good moments, it also has more bad moments as well. But ya, I pretty much agree with what you said.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:31 am

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:36 am

BOG and RF's movies are the best versions of those stories but I do think Super's 27th episode is a better ending to RF than what the movie did.

Champa's tournament was slightly better in the anime.

Black's arc is overall better in the manga but the anime's depiction of Black was better.

The tournament of power is by far better in the anime.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SupremeKai25
Advanced Regular

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:04 am

I preferred the anime incarnation of Fused Zamasu. He had so many unique and creative techniques, such as the Blades of Judgement, or the Holy Wrath of the Gods, or the Divine Lightning of Absolution. I also adored the symbolism surrounding him. The fact that his pose resembled that of Jesus on the Crucifix at times (Zamasu believed himself to be the ultimate God, and that the heinous sins of mortal kind were his burden to carry), and that he always hovered above the ground because he was the Supreme God; He judged all of existence from the heavens, thus he was not sullied, he was not a mere mortal who walked the earth.

Sure manga Fused Zamasu was also very beautiful and entertaining because... Well... He was still Fused Zamasu... But his techniques were not very original (aside from the "telekinesis choke", that was incredible!), and I disliked the fact that he fought on the ground as if he were a mere mortal.
"Oh I've learned a lesson. Mortals are even more dangerous than I thought. Know this...Goku...I will never forget you."

Zamasu fan.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:40 am

If I had to rank which version of each corresponding arc was the best I'd probably rank it as follows.

Battle of God's - movie > manga >>>>> anime.
Resurrection F - the promo manga for being the least offensively terrible.
U6 - it's boring either way.
Black arc - manga with anime Black getting his mandatory honorable mention.
ToP - it's a toss up, somethings the anime does better, others the manga, I guess the anime edges out for being more superficially entertaining?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

BrolySSJL
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrolySSJL » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:33 am

The manga it's not perfect... but's it's better than the anime by far. Zamasu saga is awesome in the manga.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:36 pm

The manga has one of the worst and wasted attempts of the Zamasu saga that I could ever imagine. So the anime wins automtically for me. It does not really help that the other sagas also give me nothing in the managa.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:41 pm

The anime is straight up hot garbage. The manga does well enough with the notes scribbled on napkins that Toriyama provides, making it at least more bearable than the anime.