Movie characters you’d like to be rewritten

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeztin
I Live Here

Movie characters you’d like to be rewritten

Post by Xeztin » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:36 pm

Aside from the Broly movies, are there other characters you’d like to see rewritten or used? I felt like Pikkon would be believable from the otherworld and that Lord Slug was a good idea without enough information to make it such as Super Saiyan. I’d rewrite Slug to be a dieing Nomad who knew of the Nameless Namek coming to Earth and that he comes to Earth to wish for his Youth and to terraform Earth into his home rather than a space ship. He could have attacked new namek for Namek’s Ball’s only to fail because the race blew them up as a backup for an emergency outlet incase a Freeza incident happened again. Where he’s been at all this time? I Don’t know perhaps dieing of old age on a planet somewhres. It seems Namekian’s can’t move or stir up much when they age. I think they could tie these ancient Namekian’s in with Ancient Saiyan lore and also give Piccolo and exuse to power up. Slug or Piccolo hardley even acknowledged they were from the same race in the movie.

precita
Banned

Re: Movie characters you’d like to be rewritten

Post by precita » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:56 pm

Pikkon isn't a movie character and is still part of the main (old) anime canon, so I can't see them having Goku and Pikkon act like they're meeting for the first time. Wouldn't fit for those who watch Super after DBZ. He'll probably just never appear. Same for Garlic Jr. for that matter due to how ingrained he was in the old anime continuity.

Only ones they could re-introduce is Cooler or Janemba, and maybe they will. For Cooler it's just baffling because they'd have to explain where in Universe 7 he was all this time, and with only 28 planets, what the hell was he conquering that Freeza was not? And why wouldn't Supreme Kai, King Kai, Beerus, etc. all be aware of Cooler's existence like Freeza is he was a galaxy conqueror?

Likewise with Frost around it's redundant with so many identical Freeza type characters.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:59 pm

Janemba, as he has cool design and the best techniques this franchise has ever seen. He is the only movie character worth of being revisited, to be expanded and enhanced.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:02 pm

No one. Move on to bigger, better, newer things
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:55 am

Cooler...who am I kidding, they're probably already planning it. Slug would be a good one as I'd take anything that'll give Piccolo relevant screen time. I guess Janemba could be some demon from another universe. Bojack and wrath of the dragon are good as they are so they should leave those alone. I don't think there's much they can do with android 13 or Garlic jr. We just got an evil Goku (Black) so Turles is probably not going to happen. Apart from the movies I'd like Ssj4, the shadow dragons and Baby to be canonized.
AnimeNation101 wrote:No one. Move on to bigger, better, newer things
I think older content being brought back is only a matter of time but hopefully they spread things out with new content.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:59 am

i already made a thread like this before lol

BanterTheGreat

Post by BanterTheGreat » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:44 am

Nothing, I want totally original things instead. Super has had a problem with this and it is happening again.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:54 am

BanterTheGreat wrote:Nothing, I want totally original things instead. Super has had a problem with this and it is happening again.
Broly is expected to make 90 million $$$ which is 25 million $$$ more than RF so I can assure you they're going to double down on these classic elements. What we can hope for is for them to mix in new content as well.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:58 am

NONE! THEY SHOULD STOP USING MEMBER-BERRIES AND START THINKING ABOUT NEW AND FRESH MATERIALS!

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:34 am

I'm cool with Cooler (ha) and I wouldn't be opposed to Slug, though the two would definitely have to be rewritten heavily in order to fit with the current lore. Lore is part of why I'm interested in the first place, actually, as Cooler could provide some insight into Frieza's race, the species' history and the family's history, while Slug could do the same with Namekians, Namekian history and possibly the Namekian Book of Legends.
Outside of these two, though, I'd really prefer Dragon Ball to not go back to any more old movies to borrow characters. They can easily use ideas similar to the old movies (or anime filler or GT) without making reboots of old characters. But if they can't help themselves, there should at least be plenty of new content to break the reboots up.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Whis

Post by Whis » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:41 am

Grimlock wrote:Janemba, as he has cool design and the best techniques this franchise has ever seen. He is the only movie character worth of being revisited, to be expanded and enhanced.
Agree, he has the best villain design imo.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:46 pm

The only movie character I’d be remotely okay with being added to the main canon at this point is Coola, but even then I’d rather not see this trend continue. Super’s felt creatively bankrupt more often than not.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:49 pm

Slug could be cool if he got reworked as somekind of servant of Zalama, if they ever chose to explore that.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:50 pm

The only movie character I could see rewritten to become canon in the main continuity are:

Slug he is a Namekian and can link to the story of Namek and the Dragon Ball
Tullece same as Slug but for the Saiyan and why not link him to the Kaioshin with the fruit of the sacred tree of might.
Cooler for his link with Frieza and Cold as brother and son.

And for the perhaps it's:

Bojack for his link with the Kaios
Janemba a rewritte could link him with the Demon / Makai / Oni / Mazoku
Garlic and Garlic Jr also could link with the Demon / Makai / Oni / Mazoku

Heck Janemba can be a creation of Garlic and Garlic Jr to overthrow the deities. Hirudegarn as well as Hoi can fit into the whole Demon / Makai / Oni / Mazoku existing lore. As for Tapion he can be rewritten also in solo in my opinion.

Aside from them I don't know how the Big Gete Star or Dr Uiro can fit into this since they are the more out of place movie Z vilain.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:24 pm

Beerus and Janemba.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:52 pm

precita wrote:Pikkon isn't a movie character and is still part of the main (old) anime canon, so I can't see them having Goku and Pikkon act like they're meeting for the first time. Wouldn't fit for those who watch Super after DBZ. He'll probably just never appear. Same for Garlic Jr. for that matter due to how ingrained he was in the old anime continuity.

Only ones they could re-introduce is Cooler or Janemba, and maybe they will. For Cooler it's just baffling because they'd have to explain where in Universe 7 he was all this time, and with only 28 planets, what the hell was he conquering that Freeza was not? And why wouldn't Supreme Kai, King Kai, Beerus, etc. all be aware of Cooler's existence like Freeza is he was a galaxy conqueror?

Likewise with Frost around it's redundant with so many identical Freeza type characters.
You could make the argument that Broly is redundant as well, considering that Kale was made as a direct homage to him.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:22 pm

Yes: Janemba, Metal Cooler, Slug.

Maybe: Turles, Androids, Hirudegarn, Hatchiyack.

No: Garlic Jr., Bio Broly, Bojack, Dr. Wheelo.

Whis

Post by Whis » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:00 am

supersaiyanZero wrote:Beerus and Janemba.
Hmm, is it because you want him to be a threat again?

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:16 am

Cooler's kind of the hardest characters to give the Broly treatment to now. Freeza's been so prominent, it would be tough to only now drop him having a brother. Plus, Cooler's only hook aside from a cool 5th form design is being stronger than Freeza, but now Freeza is ridiculously strong. If Cooler shows up and is also at Golden level, it'd make you wonder what the hell he was doing when the Freeza force was supposedly losing all their planets.

Of all people, i'd actually want Slug or Garlic Junior to come back, just because it could potentially give a bit of spotlight to Piccolo and the Namekians after all this time.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:46 am

I wouldn't necessarily say I want the character himself rewritten; but I've always loved the whole concept of Coola and thought he was too good of a villain for the movie(s) he was in. You have this "no nonsense" mature brother that starts out really cold and menacing, only to be used in a cliff notes retelling of the Freeza arc and eventually devolve into a generic black hat villain.