Is Toei’s Kale supposed to have a crush on Caulifla?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kudo6000
Beyond Newbie

Re: Is Toei’s Kale supposed to have a crush on Caulifla?

Post by kudo6000 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:14 pm

But those aspects alone overlap any "original" traits from Kale. Her existence was literally confirmed to appease the fans of Broly (and she arguably failed at that). Compared to the more Toriyama-like character, Caulifla, Kale is pretty much the least bit original/interesting.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:24 pm

They only overshadow the rest of her character if you stay fixated on it. The references were unbearable on every level but I could move past them because they were a small, if loud, aspect of her character. They can pretty much be completely ignored and you wouldn't lose anything of her character(another reason they shouldn't have done it). No disagreement that she's not very likable, especially on her own, but I don't dislike her because she reminds me of Broly.

And now that she's not going to be a crybaby anymore she's poised to become more endearing to me. Not that I expect to see her or Caulifla ever again.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:09 pm

It's blatantly obvious that Caulifa and Kale are intended to be lesbian lovers, it was obvious from their first episode. Kale has a blatant crush on her, and while Caulifa is more of a traditional Saiyan who puts fighting above all else, you can see how much she cares for her.

It's Dragonball's first blatant yuri pairing to appeal to the new age.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:24 pm

No. Nothing more than a big sis, little sis relationship which is amplified by Kale’s shy personality and Caulifla’s out-going personality. They mean a lot to each other but it ain’t romance.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:25 pm

precita wrote:It's blatantly obvious that Caulifa and Kale are intended to be lesbian lovers, it was obvious from their first episode. Kale has a blatant crush on her, and while Caulifa is more of a traditional Saiyan who puts fighting above all else, you can see how much she cares for her.

It's Dragonball's first blatant yuri pairing to appeal to the new age.
I don’t see this at ALL.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:28 pm

CTAkuma wrote:I don't understand this obsession with shipping and thinking friends are couples for having cute dialogue. They have a sisterly relationship that is platonic in nature, nothing romantic to imply there.
This

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:36 pm

that depends .. you consider to chiaotzu to have a crush on tien shinhan?

I like more the kale of the anime has more development as a character, acquires more motivation to become stronger, because it starts weak (as well like gohan)
not only to help Caulifla but also for herself.
everything else is admiration for her because of her power and courage, and it is evident that she protects her as she saw in the tournament as gratitude. Kale really wants to do the same.
in any case kale is acquiring more confidence with other people like cabba and the rest of his team, saonel and pirina. besides that any dependence that has towards a caulifla are aspects that relamente would have to polish with time but it is understood because she is the only family that has.
in the manga only I think a very strong character and nothing else and its origin with caulifla is more defined but really lacks a breakthrough.