DragonBall Super in Greece

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Re: DragonBall Super in Greece

Post by TheRed259 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:58 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:Eh, wasn't crazy about him - but he did get the job done. And I guess he did a better job with Tien than the one who also did Yamcha's and Roshi's voice (we would call that one 'the Pink Panther').
You are talking about Manos Venieris. I was calling him Lucky Luke back then. :P
I didn't like the woman who did Bulma's voice though. And I liked her even less when she inherited Krillin's voice (whose original voice by Merkouri - I think it was Merkouri - was far better). And then she did Frieza. THE CRIIIIINGE!!!
Matina Karra is the voice of Bulma and Freeza. She has also done Krillin as you said from the last episodes of DB to mid-Freeza Saga I think? She voiced him in a few Garlic Jr. and Buu Saga episodes as well. The original voice of Krillin though was Maria Bonikou (wife of Manos Venieris) who did him for the most part of DB and also in some early Namek Saga episodes.

(BTW, Anna Merkouri that you mentioned above is the female voice in the Greek dubbed opening of DB. The other voice is her husband, Panos Tsaparas)

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:22 pm

I've got the feeling that airing it on Nickelodeon wasn't a good idea. According to some sources, the channel has been fined several times from 2011 through 2015. Many of them are from airing toys commercials in an inappropiate time zone.

The most notable and the only one we can relate to Super, it's that in September 2013, they were fined 20,000 euros for airing "violent" episodes of Monsuno and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012).

And Dragon Ball Super involves guys beating the crap out of each other, this makes me think this dub is gonna be censored to save Nickelodeon's ass from another fine.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:44 am

TheRed259 wrote:Magical Christmas at Nickelodeon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpbiCMNkp7c

Episode 1 & 2 will both air on December 26, 2018 at 22:00.
Hmm... so, it can be expected to air uncut? I don't think kids are awake at that time unless kids in Greece go to sleep around 11pm.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:23 pm

Tian wrote:
TheRed259 wrote:Magical Christmas at Nickelodeon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpbiCMNkp7c

Episode 1 & 2 will both air on December 26, 2018 at 22:00.
Hmm... so, it can be expected to air uncut? I don't think kids are awake at that time unless kids in Greece go to sleep around 11pm.
Ten? That's a little late.

My kid nephew can't wait to see it (I've turned him into a fan - we were both jumping like crazy in the last episode of Super … wonderful moment).

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:12 pm

Goku is going to be dubbed by a fandubber!!! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Do you remember the guy (Tasos Ntapantas) that interviewed Sean Schemmel back in 2014?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74cipn5_WYY

Sean Schemmel’s interview on Greek Otaku Radio (1st October)

Well, he is going to be Goku in the Greek dub of DragonBall Super!!!

It seems Nickelodeon will not trust a real actor (with degrees, experience etc.) but someone who has a radio show in the web about anime and who is doing fandubs on YouTube!!! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Don't tell me that there aren't any Greek voice actors that can voice Goku and you desperately need a fandubber to do the job.

So disappointed...

Vegeta on the other hand will be voiced by Konstantinos Kakanas (Κωνσταντίνος Κακανάς).

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:26 pm

God that's so awful. i feel for you guys.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:32 am

Maybe I could give this a pass if he was about to do small roles here and there to help the other actors. But Goku? The protagonist of the most popular Japanese anime?

That's WAY TOO MUCH!!!

There are actors here who don't even have a job. Actors who have studied for years in universities, who have played so many roles in theaters, in television, in movies, in cartoons, in animes and people who haven't been through what these actors have been all these years, are now taking their job?

There is no way in hell they are choosing them because they see something special. The same thing has happened with the Greek dub of Glitter Force and Digimon Fusion. Fandubbers, fans of the series, who have attended some lessons about dubbing (for a few weeks, months?), are voicing the protagonist of each the series while they are not actors. Same thing is happening again. Doesn't this seem like they are doing some people a favour or what?

No way this is a coincidence!

Shouldn't these people be the last option in case of an emergency and not the first one? And definitely not for the main role?

I want REAL ACTORS performing, not fandubbers! If I want fandubs, I can watch them on YouTube!

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:36 am

TheRed259 wrote:Goku is going to be dubbed by a fandubber!!! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Do you remember the guy (Tasos Ntapantas) that interviewed Sean Schemmel back in 2014?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74cipn5_WYY

Sean Schemmel’s interview on Greek Otaku Radio (1st October)

Well, he is going to be Goku in the Greek dub of DragonBall Super!!!

It seems Nickelodeon will not trust a real actor (with degrees, experience etc.) but someone who has a radio show in the web about anime and who is doing fandubs on YouTube!!! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Don't tell me that there aren't any Greek voice actors that can voice Goku and you desperately need a fandubber to do the job.

So disappointed...

Vegeta on the other hand will be voiced by Konstantinos Kakanas (Κωνσταντίνος Κακανάς).
1. That sucks. I feel bad for y'all guys.

2. What about Mr. Psihogios? Is he still active or retired?

3. How good is Vegeta's VA?

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:31 am

Tian wrote:1. That sucks. I feel bad for y'all guys.

2. What about Mr. Psihogios? Is he still active or retired?

3. How good is Vegeta's VA?
1. :( :( :(
2. He is still active. I read somewhere that someone asked him if he is in DB Super and he said that they didn't contact him.
3. Don't know. But I found this video and also this one.

Also, because I want to be fair, I want to say that I read a recent interview of Tasos Ntapantas and he talked about meeting his teacher in voice acting in a drama school (Θέατρο των Αλλαγών). I don't know if he did study in this school or he just met his teacher there. I searched a lot but I couldn't find somewhere that he is an actor who has finished a drama school. In another interview from 2017, when he was asked about what he has studied he didn't mention anything related to acting.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:33 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Also, because I want to be fair, I want to say that I read a recent interview of Tasos Ntapantas and he talked about meeting his teacher in voice acting in a drama school (Θέατρο των Αλλαγών). I don't know if he did study in this school or he just met his teacher there. I searched a lot but I couldn't find somewhere that he is an actor who has finished a drama school. In another interview from 2017, when he was asked about what he has studied he didn't mention anything related to acting.
Probably met his teacher there. The guy loves doing radio and that school has a radio station named Toc-Radio from what I've seen in their website.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:35 am

Don't know.

Funny thing is that this interview I mention above just popped up yesterday! Well, if he is indeed an actor (who specializes in voice acting), then I will have to take back some things I have said and apologize for overreacting and for being unfair.

But nothing in the web has him labeled as ''Actor''. (not even his own FB page from what I have seen)

BTW, here are some DragonBall Z fandubs from Tasos Ntapantas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzgrRhxon4Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geipRKRjpa4

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:45 pm

TheRed259 wrote: BTW, here are some DragonBall Z fandubs from Tasos Ntapantas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzgrRhxon4Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geipRKRjpa4
Hmm... That impression of Chris Sabat didn't sound bad.

But I'll wait for the 1st episode of Super to see if he butchered Goku or not.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:35 pm

Tian wrote:Hmm... That impression of Chris Sabat didn't sound bad.
Indeed. You can't say that is bad.
TheRed259 wrote:There is no way in hell they are choosing them because they see something special. The same thing has happened with the Greek dub of Glitter Force and Digimon Fusion. Fandubbers, fans of the series, who have attended some lessons about dubbing (for a few weeks, months?), are voicing the protagonist of each the series while they are not actors. Same thing is happening again. Doesn't this seem like they are doing some people a favour or what?

No way this is a coincidence!

Shouldn't these people be the last option in case of an emergency and not the first one? And definitely not for the main role?
BTW, I forgot to mention that the man voicing the protagonist of Digimon Fusion has started a drama school. As far as I know, he was working as a VA for some years before he started the drama school.

Also, maybe I could be wrong about them and they do choose them because they are so good. But seeing these many coincidences make me think what I think. I really hope that I am wrong and that the reality is totally different!

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:34 pm

New trailer:
https://www.facebook.com/nickelodeon.gr ... 8644086898

Announcer:
In order to protect the world, he will have to mess with the Gods. Here comes the most powerful, impressive and legendary series: DragonBall Super.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:56 pm

Oh dang. I won't able to see the premiere since the only live streaming of Nickelodeon Greece is currently off-air
:(

Well, it's not like the first time it happens since I wasn't able to see the Polish premiere either... but that was because there was no live streaming of Polsat Games.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:49 pm

Just watched the first 2 episodes.

Some voices need more emotion in their performance. Some of them sounded kinda weird on the characters. Also, the VAs talk slowly for some reason. That's my first impression.

Opening and Ending were left in Japanese.

Mister Satan is called Mister Hercule.

Next episodes will air on January.

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:16 pm

TheRed259 wrote:Just watched the first 2 episodes.

Most voices need more emotion in their performance. Some of them sounded kinda weird on the characters. Also, the VAs talk slowly for some reason. That's my first impression.

Opening and Ending were left in Japanese.

Mister Satan is called Mister Hercule.

Next episodes will air on January.
Were the credits translated into greek?

Also, you wouldn't happen to have any clips, would you?
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:07 pm

I need to see more episodes but overall I think that they did a good job. It's just that some voices need more emotion in their performance. Or maybe they sound kinda weird to me because I am not used to these new voices yet. Who knows...

BTW, Mister Satan's new VA is really good imo. :thumbup:
wjbraden wrote:Were the credits translated into greek?
Yes, the credits were translated in Greek in both the Opening and the Ending. There was also a list with the VAs in the Ending.
wjbraden wrote:Also, you wouldn't happen to have any clips, would you?
I found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxHwvXO-nGE