Why are they retconning the original Bardock special? Now it's no longer canon?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Why are they retconning the original Bardock special? Now it's no longer canon?

Post by precita » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:45 pm

What a waste. The original Bardock special, along with the flashbacks of Freeza knocking out King Vegeta on his ship, and destroying Bardock and his team is no longer canon? So what happened to Bardock's team? Do they no longer exist, the ones Dodoria killed?

Bardock will no longer fight Freeza in space before he gets killed? Ugh, I hate Dragonball Minus becoming canon. Toriyama is going "George Lucas" with the series.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Why are they retconning the original Bardock special? Now it's no longer canon?

Post by Dbzk1999 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:53 pm

A) “Becoming”? Why people are acting as if Minus wasn’t “canon” as soon as that chapter was released?

B) Also don’t know why people are acting as if similar events to what happened to the special could happen here. Doesn’t Minus itself take place about a month before freeza destroys planet vegeta? That special is day of its destruction

precita
Banned

Re: Why are they retconning the original Bardock special? Now it's no longer canon?

Post by precita » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:54 pm

The scenes from the trailer make it almost impossible for a lot of the events in the Bardock special to happen.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:59 pm

I said similar for a reason

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:24 pm

Dbzk1999 wrote:A) “Becoming”? Why people are acting as if Minus wasn’t “canon” as soon as that chapter was released?

B) Also don’t know why people are acting as if similar events to what happened to the special could happen here. Doesn’t Minus itself take place about a month before freeza destroys planet vegeta? That special is day of its destruction
Well, the lack of a rebellion from Bardock in his iconic armor and the age change are 2 HUGE retcons brought by this trailer. So, according to the trailer, the events of Bardock’s rebellion DONT happen
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:08 pm

The Bardock special was a TV Special. As good as it might have been it was always open to a retcon, think about all the great Star Wars stories that were retconned when Disney decided to define the lore.
Last edited by Sin on Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:09 pm

Sin wrote:The Bardock special was a TV Special. As good as it might have been it was always open to a retcon.
True but they showed in the manga multiple times the scene where Bardock in his classic armor went up against Freeza
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:15 pm

They took away Bardock's final rebellion and his crew from the 90s special. What the hell is Toriyama thinking?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:17 pm

As much as Toriyam seemed to like the TV special to include a scene of it in the manga, Dragon Ball Minus is Toriyama's personally crafted backstory for Bardock and Goku. And for the sake of convenience, he's just going with the story that he's more accustomed to, or at the very least, has better knowledge of.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:23 pm

If Bardock's rebellion doesn't happen and he doesn't confront Freeza in space, the series is ruined forever for me now. Yeah let's take away everything about Bardock that made people like him for the last 20+ years.

The series would be dead to me now.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:30 pm

precita wrote:If Bardock's rebellion doesn't happen and he doesn't confront Freeza in space, the series is ruined forever for me now. Yeah let's take away everything about Bardock that made people like him for the last 20+ years.

I mean they already brought Future Trunks back and literally destroyed his whole timeline making everything he ever did completely redundant. Why not fuck with Bardock a little too? :twisted:

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:07 pm

precita wrote:What a waste. The original Bardock special, along with the flashbacks of Freeza knocking out King Vegeta on his ship, and destroying Bardock and his team is no longer canon? So what happened to Bardock's team? Do they no longer exist, the ones Dodoria killed?

Bardock will no longer fight Freeza in space before he gets killed? Ugh, I hate Dragonball Minus becoming canon. Toriyama is going "George Lucas" with the series.
That special was never fully "canon", and it's been retconned since dragon ball minus which came out years ago. This isn't new. However Frieza's design is different which is weird.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:24 pm

precita wrote:If Bardock's rebellion doesn't happen and he doesn't confront Freeza in space, the series is ruined forever for me now. Yeah let's take away everything about Bardock that made people like him for the last 20+ years.

So, you liking Dragon Ball as a series has been hinged upon a character that only ever popped up in tv specials and brief flashbacks? Not only that, but a single scene from a series with hundreds of episodes, almost 20 movies, and several tv specials?

Well, have fun with not-Dragon Ball stuff then.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:33 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Dbzk1999 wrote:A) “Becoming”? Why people are acting as if Minus wasn’t “canon” as soon as that chapter was released?

Well, the lack of a rebellion from Bardock in his iconic armor and the age change are 2 HUGE retcons brought by this trailer. So, according to the trailer, the events of Bardock’s rebellion DONT happen
Only retcon that seems likely is the age one. Once again, minus takes place a month before Planet Vegeta’s destruction. You can’t say for a fact that the rebellion doesn’t happen until that scene of freeza destroying vegeta is shown in its entirety.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:35 pm

That old special wasn't very good so maybe they want to replace it with something better this time.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:38 pm

Dbzk1999 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:

Only retcon that seems likely is the age one. Once again, minus takes place a month before Planet Vegeta’s destruction. You can’t say for a fact that the rebellion doesn’t happen until that scene of freeza destroying vegeta is shown in its entirety.
Going off of the scene that has been shown, the Freeza soldiers and Bardock are not swarming space and are nowhere to be seen. Its just Freeza, his ship, his blast, and the empty void of space. And nothing suggests that Bardock even TRIES to rebel. No hints or anything. So going off of that, it seems more likely at this point that the rebellion never happens. But boy do i wish i was wrong

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:54 pm

Sin wrote:

I mean they already brought Future Trunks back and literally destroyed his whole timeline making everything he ever did completely redundant. Why not fuck with Bardock a little too? :twisted:
Future Trunks losing his timeline isn't that bad of a thing writing wise (he's supposed to be a tragic character). But what Toriyama is doing with Bardock is pure bullshit.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

reecehoward
Beyond Newbie

Post by reecehoward » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:58 pm

It does seem weird that they would completely shelve any ideas or plot point from the TV special, as that is the main reason Bardock is as popular as he is to this very day. Hopefully some of the cooler elements of his story and character will be present in the film.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:59 pm

This. I removed my signature for now but it will be back if they took away the best thing Bardock did on-screen. I'll probably wait for a confirmation that Bardock will face Freeza before I probably go to the theaters.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:05 pm

The fandom brought this all on themselves with the Toriyama = good/canon.

It time for fans to live with the bed they made with canon/original author debates and blind Fanaticism.

Personally I dislike minus, but I’m well past the point of what contradicts what as the author clearly does give a rats butt about consistency or world lore (consequentially my favor part of DB).

I’ll check is out because it’s Broly and that’s about it which is all studio execs are banking on. Artistic integrity be damned.