Why are they retconning the original Bardock special? Now it's no longer canon?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Re: Why are they retconning the original Bardock special? Now it's no longer canon?

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:26 pm

Imagine being so pathetic that you think threatening to block some one is something ANYONE would take seriously. Even going so far as bold text the “block you” part.

Anyway, the Bardock special is still there. The Broly movie won’t make it vanish. Super is fairly easy to ignore anyway by its nature, so the red bandanna having Bardock can still be in your headcanon if you so choose. He’ll still be in games. Frankly I prefer that guy too, but that doesn’t mean I’ll be embarrassingly salty like what I’ve been seeing here and elsewhere. As has been said, this isn’t just a straight up DB- adaption. It’s an expanded take on the Saiyan history and above all else, the main Minus complaint was it was just a few pages of nothing. Expanding on things could only make it better.

If nothing else, the severe butthurt this movie has generated since its title was announced has been entertaining enough. :lol:

Colonel Silver
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Why are they retconning the original Bardock special? Now it's no longer canon?

Post by Colonel Silver » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:30 am

I'm posting my thoughts here in this dead thread because it was the first one that popped up in google when I went to confirm some information about the new DBS movie before I saw it myself. I have no intention of watching it now. You might think I'm overreacting but its really just the straw that broke the camels back for me.

I can't believe they axed Bardock's crew and his final stand for a copy&paste Superman origin story, I know it wasn't canon but neither was Broly. What the fuck were they thinking? Marry the two pieces, take what's good about the special, what was well received by the fanbase, what's been established for years, what made Bardock a beloved character and you put in the movie. Simple, You don't throw that shit away. Bardock as the character I knew is gone,he might as well be someone new.

At this point I can hardly call myself a DB fan. I've hated almost everything introduced to Dragon Ball since at least 2008. I really tried to enjoy all the new content too. I'm starting to think maybe Toriyama alone wasn't the reason I liked Dragon Ball to begin with, a lot of the stuff I enjoyed wasn't canon or an even an idea out of Toriyama's head. Now that he's like Mahatma Gandhi he doesn't have to answer to anyone like editors, the guy just shits out an idea and sells it. There's no buffer. If the Cell Saga was made this day and age, I have no doubt Toriyama would have made Cell look completely ludicrous if his 2nd form was anything to go by. Thank god for the guy who saw trash like that and said Toryama's ass needed to get back to the drawing board.