Why are they retconning the original Bardock special? Now it's no longer canon?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Why are they retconning the original Bardock special? Now it's no longer canon?

Post by PFM18 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:36 pm

Bullza wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:Lmao, the original bardock movie was one of the best lore building and stand alone movies the franchise has to offer. You're clearly trolling.
Being one of the best movies isn't saying much because most of the original 13 movies weren't very good either. It was a mediocre movie with only the last few minutes being any good.
Yeah the original 13 Z movies are complete trash outside of a couple being mediocre so saying that "It's the best movie!" doesn't really carry much weight.

Gotta take a "wait and see" approach with this Bardock story guys

Danfun64
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:29 pm

Re: Why are they retconning the original Bardock special? Now it's no longer canon?

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:41 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
coola wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: Lucas gets rightly deserved ire, but my point is, Toriyama has already pulled quite a few things that put him well into Lucas' camp if not his equal and nobody cares or just shruggs it off like damaging your series is totally fine. That's what I mean when DB gets no respect, its creator can bork it nine ways to sunday and the vast, vast, vast majority of people well just wave it off and say: "Oh that Toriyama!"
My only problem with George Lucas, was that he refused to re release Original Trilogy in unaltered version, instead he made it worse with every release.
I'm torn on an OG re-release, on one hand I want them to do it so people shut up about it already but on the other hand, I have such thorough disdain for Star Wars and its fandom nowadays, the asshole part of me wants it to never happen just to annoy that whole cabal.
Heh. It's a bit too late for the "never happen" bit. Much like how the laserdisc bootlegs lead to the GOUT release, the fan 35mm preservations might more or less force Disney to do a proper HD/4k transfer of the originals to obsolete the fan stuff.
Last edited by Danfun64 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Why are they retconning the original Bardock special? Now it's no longer canon?

Post by Doctor. » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:42 pm

You don't have to "wait and see." It's an adaptation of Minus. It's Minus with extra fluff. What's new is ultimately only going to serve (or be a detriment to) Vegeta's and Broly's characters. The people who already disliked Minus for what it did to Goku and Bardock will still dislike this.

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6127
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: Why are they retconning the original Bardock special? Now it's no longer canon?

Post by Grimlock » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:52 pm

Doctor. wrote:The people who already disliked Minus for what it did to Goku and Bardock will still dislike this.
Not necessarily. Dragon Ball Minus is terrible for not providing a proper backstory to the Saiyans, for not having an actual story, for being nothing.

Conversely, this movie has the chance to improve it. To give a proper backstory, to have an actual story, to be something. Well, in regards to Bardock, as long as his confrontation against Freeza is there, then we're good.

User avatar
1345521
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:07 am

Re: Why are they retconning the original Bardock special? Now it's no longer canon?

Post by 1345521 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:12 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Bullza wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:Lmao, the original bardock movie was one of the best lore building and stand alone movies the franchise has to offer. You're clearly trolling.
Being one of the best movies isn't saying much because most of the original 13 movies weren't very good either. It was a mediocre movie with only the last few minutes being any good.
Yeah the original 13 Z movies are complete trash outside of a couple being mediocre so saying that "It's the best movie!" doesn't really carry much weight.

Gotta take a "wait and see" approach with this Bardock story guys
How... HOW... how and when did you get into dragon ball? You just trash so many aspects of dragon ball and then excuse, overlook, or just dismiss a lot of complaints of supers anime and then put it on a pedestal.
You've critzied:
Super manga
GT
Z

And you are compelte crickets on dragon ball or the roginal dragon ball manga. Why...how do I say this.....
I mean this in all due resepct - are you a Dragon ball fan or a dragon ball super fan?
If latter, then okay.
If prior, then why ...why did you like super so much while disliking a lot of Z and basically all of GT and super manga. Like why? Please, I just want to know.

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1180
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Why are they retconning the original Bardock special? Now it's no longer canon?

Post by Shaddy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:26 pm

All art is worthy and capable of being criticism and Dragon Ball is no different. Saying that anyone who doesn't like something you do "isn't a true fan" is a completely shallow and childish thing to do. The movies have problems. A lot of them share the exact same problems. Super and GT inherited a lot of Z's problems, and in some cases worsened them. Most things people have a problem with don't mean they hate everything about it down to it's very core. It's not a perfect series, it's an absolutely massive one and you shouldn't be surprised that people have picked at and chosen the parts they like the best.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7854
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: Why are they retconning the original Bardock special? Now it's no longer canon?

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:33 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Doctor. wrote:The people who already disliked Minus for what it did to Goku and Bardock will still dislike this.
Not necessarily. Dragon Ball Minus is terrible for not providing a proper backstory to the Saiyans, for not having an actual story, for being nothing.

Conversely, this movie has the chance to improve it. To give a proper backstory, to have an actual story, to be something. Well, in regards to Bardock, as long as his confrontation against Freeza is there, then we're good.
If Minus got its own special like Trunks the Story did you could salvage it, but it's not, it shares the first half hour with a whole bunch of other stuff to explain Freeze, the Saiyans, Paragus,...
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

User avatar
1345521
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:07 am

Re: Why are they retconning the original Bardock special? Now it's no longer canon?

Post by 1345521 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:39 pm

Shaddy wrote:All art is worthy and capable of being criticism and Dragon Ball is no different. Saying that anyone who doesn't like something you do "isn't a true fan" is a completely shallow and childish thing to do. The movies have problems. A lot of them share the exact same problems. Super and GT inherited a lot of Z's problems, and in some cases worsened them. Most things people have a problem with don't mean they hate everything about it down to it's very core. It's not a perfect series, it's an absolutely massive one and you shouldn't be surprised that people have picked at and chosen the parts they like the best.
Alright bud, relax. I didn't say he isn't a true fan, I jsut questioned if he was a fan of the frnachise or just a fan of super. There are dragon ball fans, Z fans, gt fans, toyotar/super manga fans, and super anime fans. People who are just fans of those prospective poroterty and couldn't really care about the rest, or in some cases dislike it. That's all.

Saying the movies of Z and Z itself having problems is fine. To turn around and excuse all of that, in my eyes, for super and then try to justify why super is better or on par with Z using, in my opinion, bias and unfair critism application for both series gives me evidence that that the person is more so just a personal fan of super, rather than having the love for dragon ball. Which is okay, if he just admits that - then we are all good and I put that into the forefrunt of my mind anytime I read his comments about super and/or dragon ball. :D

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1180
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Why are they retconning the original Bardock special? Now it's no longer canon?

Post by Shaddy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:48 pm

1345521 wrote: Alright bud, relax. I didn't say he isn't a true fan, I jsut questioned if he was a fan of the frnachise or just a fan of super. There are dragon ball fans, Z fans, gt fans, toyotar/super manga fans, and super anime fans. People who are just fans of those prospective poroterty and couldn't really care about the rest, or in some cases dislike it. That's all.
Except your basis for doing so is "well he criticized what I like". That's not a fair system of classification.
1345521 wrote:Saying the movies of Z and Z itself having problems is fine. To turn around and excuse all of that, in my eyes, for super and then try to justify why super is better or on par with Z using, in my opinion, bias and unfair critism application for both series gives me evidence that that the person is more so just a personal fan of super, rather than having the love for dragon ball. Which is okay, if he just admits that - then we are all good and I put that into the forefrunt of my mind anytime I read his comments about super and/or dragon ball. :D
Except what you generalize or mislabel as biased and unfair "critism" can be totally legitimate issues in anyone else's eyes. There's no limit to what can and cannot be called justified when the system for measuring it is an equally biased observer. You don't get to decide where someone else's priorities are in what makes a good series, and they don't have to "admit" anything to you when you're the one trying to categorize them as something they don't even necessarily believe in.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
1345521
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:07 am

Re: Why are they retconning the original Bardock special? Now it's no longer canon?

Post by 1345521 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:59 pm

Shaddy wrote:
1345521 wrote: Alright bud, relax. I didn't say he isn't a true fan, I jsut questioned if he was a fan of the frnachise or just a fan of super. There are dragon ball fans, Z fans, gt fans, toyotar/super manga fans, and super anime fans. People who are just fans of those prospective poroterty and couldn't really care about the rest, or in some cases dislike it. That's all.
Except your basis for doing so is "well he criticized what I like". That's not a fair system of classification.
1345521 wrote:Saying the movies of Z and Z itself having problems is fine. To turn around and excuse all of that, in my eyes, for super and then try to justify why super is better or on par with Z using, in my opinion, bias and unfair critism application for both series gives me evidence that that the person is more so just a personal fan of super, rather than having the love for dragon ball. Which is okay, if he just admits that - then we are all good and I put that into the forefrunt of my mind anytime I read his comments about super and/or dragon ball. :D
Except what you generalize or mislabel as biased and unfair "critism" can be totally legitimate issues in anyone else's eyes. There's no limit to what can and cannot be called justified when the system for measuring it is an equally biased observer. You don't get to decide where someone else's priorities are in what makes a good series, and they don't have to "admit" anything to you when you're the one trying to categorize them as something they don't even necessarily believe in.
Who says I like Z, gt or super manga?

The problem does not ariase at how "legitmate" those issues are (though if they are so big, why are you even a fan of the show in the first place? If you hate everything or most things about Z gt etc... then it shows you aren't a fan of those products), it's about will you apply the issues of those series and product at the same harshness and fairness for the show whom you have been seen to oddly enough defend. Again, FAIR REPRESENATION. If you aren't being genuine in your critism and dare I say hypotcrical in your ctrism of the shows... then that shows a level of personal bias. If you have a ton of bias for one show insomuch that you'll excuse and/or undermine the objective problems it EQUALLY and worsly shares with the other shows you tend to be critcal of... it gives evidence that you are more so just a personal supporter of an show then an objective person with an love of dragon ball who has no respect of properties and entertainment Which I highly suspect this PMF guy to have. If he just admits that hey:
"I like super but i'm not much of a fan for anything else in dragon ball" there, something akin to that would suffice.

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1180
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Why are they retconning the original Bardock special? Now it's no longer canon?

Post by Shaddy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:55 pm

1345521 wrote: The problem does not ariase at how "legitmate" those issues are (though if they are so big, why are you even a fan of the show in the first place? If you hate everything or most things about Z gt etc... then it shows you aren't a fan of those products),
So even ignoring the fact that you go on to describe exactly this as being the problem, having criticism of something no matter how large doesn't have to mean you hate it, and again, you are not the authority on who qualifies as a fan of something. The only thing that actually makes someone a fan or not a fan of any Dragon Ball material whatsoever is whether they consider themselves one, bottom line.
1345521 wrote:it's about will you apply the issues of those series and product at the same harshness and fairness for the show whom you have been seen to oddly enough defend. Again, FAIR REPRESENATION. If you aren't being genuine in your critism and dare I say hypotcrical in your ctrism of the shows... then that shows a level of personal bias.
Except again, your only basis for fair "represenation" (please proofread your posts) is your own opinions and biases. All criticism is biased, no opinion is objective.
1345521 wrote:If you have a ton of bias for one show insomuch that you'll excuse and/or undermine the objective problems it EQUALLY and worsly shares with the other shows you tend to be critcal of...
Ah, but here's where your problem starts. It's entirely your conjecture as to whether a given piece of material "equally and worsly" has problems akin to another. He may not agree with that. And that's fine, because it's all subjective. Saying his opinion is worthless or that he's somehow no longer a fan of something because of it is a pretty shitty thing to do.
1345521 wrote:it gives evidence that you are more so just a personal supporter of an show then an objective person with an love of dragon ball who has no respect of properties and entertainment Which I highly suspect this PMF guy to have. If he just admits that hey:
"I like super but i'm not much of a fan for anything else in dragon ball" there, something akin to that would suffice.
Except there is no "objective person". Anyone's opinion is worth an equal amount. Nobody is more or less objective or biased, it's all biased and allsubjective. You're trying to claim that he should say he likes or dislikes something despite it's quality, but you're trying to decide what that quality is for him, which you have no jurisdiction over.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6127
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: Why are they retconning the original Bardock special? Now it's no longer canon?

Post by Grimlock » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:13 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:If Minus got its own special like Trunks the Story did you could salvage it, but it's not, it shares the first half hour with a whole bunch of other stuff to explain Freeze, the Saiyans, Paragus,...
Yeah, that is the one of the biggest mistakes of this movie, shoehorning the main cast/present era into it when it should have been focused on the Saiyans. But who knows? It is just a possibility.

User avatar
1345521
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:07 am

Re: Why are they retconning the original Bardock special? Now it's no longer canon?

Post by 1345521 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:39 pm

Shaddy wrote:
1345521 wrote: The problem does not ariase at how "legitmate" those issues are (though if they are so big, why are you even a fan of the show in the first place? If you hate everything or most things about Z gt etc... then it shows you aren't a fan of those products),
So even ignoring the fact that you go on to describe exactly this as being the problem, having criticism of something no matter how large doesn't have to mean you hate it, and again, you are not the authority on who qualifies as a fan of something. The only thing that actually makes someone a fan or not a fan of any Dragon Ball material whatsoever is whether they consider themselves one, bottom line.
1345521 wrote:it's about will you apply the issues of those series and product at the same harshness and fairness for the show whom you have been seen to oddly enough defend. Again, FAIR REPRESENATION. If you aren't being genuine in your critism and dare I say hypotcrical in your ctrism of the shows... then that shows a level of personal bias.
Except again, your only basis for fair "represenation" (please proofread your posts) is your own opinions and biases. All criticism is biased, no opinion is objective.
1345521 wrote:If you have a ton of bias for one show insomuch that you'll excuse and/or undermine the objective problems it EQUALLY and worsly shares with the other shows you tend to be critcal of...
Ah, but here's where your problem starts. It's entirely your conjecture as to whether a given piece of material "equally and worsly" has problems akin to another. He may not agree with that. And that's fine, because it's all subjective. Saying his opinion is worthless or that he's somehow no longer a fan of something because of it is a pretty shitty thing to do.
1345521 wrote:it gives evidence that you are more so just a personal supporter of an show then an objective person with an love of dragon ball who has no respect of properties and entertainment Which I highly suspect this PMF guy to have. If he just admits that hey:
"I like super but i'm not much of a fan for anything else in dragon ball" there, something akin to that would suffice.
Except there is no "objective person". Anyone's opinion is worth an equal amount. Nobody is more or less objective or biased, it's all biased and allsubjective. You're trying to claim that he should say he likes or dislikes something despite it's quality, but you're trying to decide what that quality is for him, which you have no jurisdiction over.
You're one of those people who think everything is relative, smh. Just because omsething is "objective" does not mean it is accurate, correct ETC. It's just you are just looking at the facts and using un-bias analysis to reach a conclusion. Nothing is perfect obviously, but things can be fairly objective. I asked him a question after giving my observation about his post which I have seen, that is all. If you are going to question and lectur for asking questions of why someone does that.. then honestly I may just Block you.

User avatar
supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 415
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:10 am

Re: Why are they retconning the original Bardock special? Now it's no longer canon?

Post by supersaiyanZero » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:36 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Bullza wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:Lmao, the original bardock movie was one of the best lore building and stand alone movies the franchise has to offer. You're clearly trolling.
Being one of the best movies isn't saying much because most of the original 13 movies weren't very good either. It was a mediocre movie with only the last few minutes being any good.
Yeah the original 13 Z movies are complete trash outside of a couple being mediocre so saying that "It's the best movie!" doesn't really carry much weight.

Gotta take a "wait and see" approach with this Bardock story guys
It is still better than anything Super has produced so far.

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Why are they retconning the original Bardock special? Now it's no longer canon?

Post by PFM18 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:35 am

supersaiyanZero wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Bullza wrote:
Being one of the best movies isn't saying much because most of the original 13 movies weren't very good either. It was a mediocre movie with only the last few minutes being any good.
Yeah the original 13 Z movies are complete trash outside of a couple being mediocre so saying that "It's the best movie!" doesn't really carry much weight.

Gotta take a "wait and see" approach with this Bardock story guys
It is still better than anything Super has produced so far.
Couldn't disagree more. I'll agree to disagree instead.

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1180
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Why are they retconning the original Bardock special? Now it's no longer canon?

Post by Shaddy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:37 am

1345521 wrote: You're one of those people who think everything is relative, smh. Just because omsething is "objective" does not mean it is accurate, correct ETC. It's just you are just looking at the facts and using un-bias analysis to reach a conclusion.
So...aside from the condescension, misrepresenting my point, and ignoring what I'm saying completely, this still isn't really correct when what's at play is people's opinions. You're treating this like you're responding to a proven fact, when it's his opinion. You're trying to rationalize him liking one thing and not another by judging as if he had the same priorities as you, when in reality there are a million reasons someone could believe something is better or worse than something else that make perfect sense, none of which are that they "aren't a real fan".
1345521 wrote: Nothing is perfect obviously, but things can be fairly objective. I asked him a question after giving my observation about his post which I have seen, that is all.
The things that can be objective are facts and actions. Never opinions. There is, and always will be a different opinion on art, because art is inherently subjective. The only debatably-meaningful idea of objectivity in opinions is in majority and numbers, and I don't need to tell you (well, maybe I do) that that's a completely flawed idea that will not help you in particular in the slightest. You're looking at someone who has opinions, and is stating an opinion, not even without explanation (this user does a completely serviceable job explaining why he likes and dislikes things), and saying "GOD, DO YOU LIKE ANYTHING??? ARE YOU EVEN A FAAAAAAN!?!?". Does that not seem disrespectful in the slightest?
1345521 wrote:If you are going to question and lectur for asking questions of why someone does that.. then honestly I may just Block you.
fucking l o l
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
Saturnine
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1471
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:45 am

Re: Why are they retconning the original Bardock special? Now it's no longer canon?

Post by Saturnine » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:55 am

The subjectivity of perceiving art is exemplified by him not understandimg why Super could be the second choice of someone that likes DB the most. Which he would probably see if he did like DB for certain things that are also present in Super. It's also possible to like DB and dislike GT, even with its attempt to channel DB feels in its first saga. Because what matters are details, execution, nuances. If you only notice the bigger picture, how can you understand the perspective of someone who focuses more on details?

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Why are they retconning the original Bardock special? Now it's no longer canon?

Post by PFM18 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:33 pm

1345521 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Bullza wrote:
Being one of the best movies isn't saying much because most of the original 13 movies weren't very good either. It was a mediocre movie with only the last few minutes being any good.
Yeah the original 13 Z movies are complete trash outside of a couple being mediocre so saying that "It's the best movie!" doesn't really carry much weight.

Gotta take a "wait and see" approach with this Bardock story guys
How... HOW... how and when did you get into dragon ball? You just trash so many aspects of dragon ball and then excuse, overlook, or just dismiss a lot of complaints of supers anime and then put it on a pedestal.
You've critzied:
Super manga
GT
Z

And you are compelte crickets on dragon ball or the roginal dragon ball manga. Why...how do I say this.....
I mean this in all due resepct - are you a Dragon ball fan or a dragon ball super fan?
If latter, then okay.
If prior, then why ...why did you like super so much while disliking a lot of Z and basically all of GT and super manga. Like why? Please, I just want to know.
You say this as though saying that I dislike the Z movies and GT is somehow indicative that I am a pessimist about the series in general and I barely like anything in the franchise. It is a fantastically warped mentality that not liking two side products mean I somehow don't like Dragon Ball and am just a "Dragon Ball Super fan."

GT and the Z movies are not the draw in this franchise. They are "icing on the cake" so to speak. If you like them great, if you don't, it doesn't really matter. To me, they are just not good products and do not appeal to me or enhance my thoughts on the franchise. The original manga and DB/DBZ are the products that draw people in to this franchise and are on a completely other level from the Z movies and GT. DB and DBZ are what people think of when they think of this franchise and for good reason. Not liking the inferior products within the franchise do not diminish your status as a DB fan.

I love the original manga. You don't see me criticizing the DB anime/Pre-Raditz in the manga, because there's simply less to criticize. It is more cohesively written, interesting and generally compelling than anything else Dragon Ball has produced. Sure, I love Z/post-Raditz too, and I have rewatched it several times. I find myself criticizing Z because I am honestly baffled that people seem to think that it is so different in quality from Super. I "criticize" Z often because I am shedding light on how a lot of the problems people criticize Super for, are also very prevalent in Z and they conveniently give it a pass for whatever reason.

I love DB, DBZ and DBS, and I tend to criticize things within them or other DB products fairly frequently. Does that make me less of a Dragon Ball fan? Absolutely fucking not.

User avatar
1345521
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:07 am

Re: Why are they retconning the original Bardock special? Now it's no longer canon?

Post by 1345521 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:45 pm

PFM18 wrote:
1345521 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Yeah the original 13 Z movies are complete trash outside of a couple being mediocre so saying that "It's the best movie!" doesn't really carry much weight.

Gotta take a "wait and see" approach with this Bardock story guys
How... HOW... how and when did you get into dragon ball? You just trash so many aspects of dragon ball and then excuse, overlook, or just dismiss a lot of complaints of supers anime and then put it on a pedestal.
You've critzied:
Super manga
GT
Z

And you are compelte crickets on dragon ball or the roginal dragon ball manga. Why...how do I say this.....
I mean this in all due resepct - are you a Dragon ball fan or a dragon ball super fan?
If latter, then okay.
If prior, then why ...why did you like super so much while disliking a lot of Z and basically all of GT and super manga. Like why? Please, I just want to know.
You say this as though saying that I dislike the Z movies and GT is somehow indicative that I am a pessimist about the series in general and I barely like anything in the franchise. It is a fantastically warped mentality that not liking two side products mean I somehow don't like Dragon Ball and am just a "Dragon Ball Super fan."

GT and the Z movies are not the draw in this franchise. They are "icing on the cake" so to speak. If you like them great, if you don't, it doesn't really matter. To me, they are just not good products and do not appeal to me or enhance my thoughts on the franchise. The original manga and DB/DBZ are the products that draw people in to this franchise and are on a completely other level from the Z movies and GT. DB and DBZ are what people think of when they think of this franchise and for good reason. Not liking the inferior products within the franchise do not diminish your status as a DB fan.

I love the original manga. You don't see me criticizing the DB anime/Pre-Raditz in the manga, because there's simply less to criticize. It is more cohesively written, interesting and generally compelling than anything else Dragon Ball has produced. Sure, I love Z/post-Raditz too, and I have rewatched it several times. I find myself criticizing Z because I am honestly baffled that people seem to think that it is so different in quality from Super. I "criticize" Z often because I am shedding light on how a lot of the problems people criticize Super for, are also very prevalent in Z and they conveniently give it a pass for whatever reason.

I love DB, DBZ and DBS, and I tend to criticize things within them or other DB products fairly frequently. Does that make me less of a Dragon Ball fan? Absolutely fucking not.
lol, I dissagree. I throughly enjoyed the movies and GT and feel they are a big part for my enjoyment in the franchise.
I agree, though I think all of dragon ball products are good to if not great, except supers' anime. That product is pretty bad, and ranks last in pretty much any menaingful catagory in my analysis. I see what you are saying though, I guess it's just differnce of opinion.

For me: all dragon ball products are good and appcriated except super. Super's anime is so lousy that I just ignore it from actaul dragon ball. To me, Supers anime is a joke. I mean, the writing is awful, the art is atrcious 75% of the time, the power scailing is beyond pathetic, characterization is utter garbe, the fights are pretty lame most of the time. It has some good ost though, a few memorable scenes. It's a complete far-cry from DB, and Z. Honestly, it's so terrible in my opinion that'd I'd be willing to say the dbs manga is better then the db manga, before I ever say dbs anime is even better then all of Z. At least for me, I can say the dbs manga art is on par with db manga. Nothing of the dbs anime is better then Z. Very sad.
But anyway, dude. Thanks for sharing. I think I have a better idea of how to respond to your replies, without mis-understanding.
Image

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3769
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: Why are they retconning the original Bardock special? Now it's no longer canon?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:09 pm

That pic doesnt work.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am
Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Post Reply