Were the movie retelling arcs necessary in DBS or should they have just been omitted?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Were the movie retelling arcs necessary in DBS or should they have just been omitted?

Post by Nokra » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:49 pm

What are your thoughts?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Were the movie retelling arcs necessary in DBS or should they have just been omitted?

Post by PFM18 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:19 am

They were absolutely necessary because they clarified several things that needed to be in place for the rest of the series. The movies were created in a vacuum and didn't have an entire anime series following it in mind. They had to recreate those stories with alterations that allow for things to be cohesive with the rest of the anime/manga.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Were the movie retelling arcs necessary in DBS or should they have just been omitted?

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:20 am

For anyone who's going into Dragon Ball Super having not seen Battle Of Gods or Resurrection F (yes, those people DO exist en masse) the movie retellings are needed to prevent Continuity Lockout.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:32 am

I dont really get it, id say they were completely unnecessary. They didn't recap z to have super make sense. Why wouldnt you be expected to watch canon films before super? That being said i like the stuff around the retellings so it would be a shame to lose that

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:12 am

Necessary? I'd argue that, in theory, yes, in order to have an established "canon" and one story can flow seamlessly to the other; plus the opportunity could be used to improve on the original and rectify some mistakes (as they did here and there but not nearly enough). But the execution was poor and the canon ended up a mess anyway, so why bother.

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:24 pm

They are necessary but they are only redundant to the people who watch the movies first. They made the retellings for the viewers who don't have access to the movies. I myself was one of the people who watched the movies first since no one thought Dragon Ball Super was going to exist so I can easily understand why some people don't like them.

I kinda wish that Beerus still had some of his earlier playful side of his personality but I like how the series made him stronger so there will be no doubt that he will win a fight against Golden Frieza.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:25 pm

I think the retelling was somehow necessary:

1. 'Main storyline' features always have been incorporated into an anime series format. It's logic to do so from perspective of a long running continuity.
2. You don't just start a new series without explaination and context. Beginning with U6 arc would be confusing for (younger) viewers that haven't seen the movies.
You can't introduce new characters / transformations in the beginning of a series without giving any explaination.
3. BOG arc added something some flair to Beerus character. In anime arc he was more threatening.
4. In the movie Goku seemed to absorb the SSG-power. This wasn't really the case. He more or less adapted to the power through his fighting with Beerus. In the anime this was handled more correctly.
5. ROF arc explores Whis training, giving an explaination for the Saiyans strength and access to God-Ki. A very important aspect of the story which the movie ROF barely explained.

A constraint was some of the animation sequences and art, mainly in ROF arc, were poorly executed.
The reintroducing of a classic SSJ-form apparently without SSG-level-power from U6 onwards did generate some confusing (how strong is Goku in baseform, are there two baseforms?), that should have been better explained. Some aspects could have been better handled. But i don't think these are valid reasons as such the retellings should have been completely omitted.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:49 pm

I think it was necessary for meta reasons. AFAIK, none of the Super episodes reuse music from the two movies, nor do they reuse animation. It was probably easier for Toei to redo the arcs than have to deal with the 20th Century Fox licensing. By redoing the arcs, Toei has more definite ownership. Remember that one of the reasons Funi did the Faulconer score was that not only would they be saving money instead of licensing Kikuchi, but they could actually make additional money in the process. I'm pretty sure the same principle is at work here.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:02 am

Doctor. wrote:Necessary? I'd argue that, in theory, yes, in order to have an established "canon" and one story can flow seamlessly to the other; plus the opportunity could be used to improve on the original and rectify some mistakes (as they did here and there but not nearly enough). But the execution was poor and the canon ended up a mess anyway, so why bother.
Yes, they did correct several mistakes and corrected smaller items that wouldn't corroborate with the rest of the story that they had created. These changes needed to exist,

How did the canon end up a mess anyway exactly?

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:29 am

In my view, they were absolutely unnecessary... Especially when the clash of God Goku and Beerus(at 1% of power or less) was to potentially wreck the universe... That feat really ruined the whole series' following arcs. If that feat was really true, Goku's match with Freeza should have ended other universes too, being it's safe to assume that Blue is 50x Red.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:50 am

Yes they absolutely were neccesary. These two stories, were actual in-universe stories written by Akira Toriyama, and since Super was an entirely new show, starting all the way from scratch (continuing from the Buu saga) they had to include these ones. (Or at the least the God of Destruction Beerus Saga) since that was the one that introduced all these universes, expanded the God Hierarchy, introduced Saiyan God forms etc etc. They can’t just start the series with the third arc telling people to “just go watch the movies if you want to get up to speed on what’s happened in the past.” Hell, a lot of people may not even have seen the movies. Super was meant for an entirely new audience aswell.

Also.. They need to expand the amount of episodes because you know, bussiness reasons. I see absolutely no problem with what they did with these 2 arcs and i am nearly 100% certain they will do the same with this new Broly movie.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:59 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:Yes they absolutely were neccesary. These two stories, were actual in-universe stories written by Akira Toriyama, and since Super was an entirely new show, starting all the way from scratch (continuing from the Buu saga) they had to include these ones. (Or at the least the God of Destruction Beerus Saga) since that was the one that introduced all these universes, expanded the God Hierarchy, introduced Saiyan God forms etc etc. They can’t just start the series with the third arc telling people to “just go watch the movies if you want to get up to speed on what’s happened in the past.” Hell, a lot of people may not even have seen the movies. Super was meant for an entirely new audience aswell.

Also.. They need to expand the amount of episodes because you know, bussiness reasons. I see absolutely no problem with what they did with these 2 arcs and i am nearly 100% certain they will do the same with this new Broly movie.
Yeah the only problem with the retellings is how they were executed. If they just waited longer to release them instead of rushing them out it would have been better. The animation was REALLY bad in those first two arcs. Especially before they touched it up later on.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:38 am

No, they could have just aired the movies on T.V. right before Super started.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:43 am

PFM18 wrote:They were absolutely necessary because they clarified several things that needed to be in place for the rest of the series. The movies were created in a vacuum and didn't have an entire anime series following it in mind. They had to recreate those stories with alterations that allow for things to be cohesive with the rest of the anime/manga.
While that would work, imo they ended up making even more contradictions in the retellings so they kind of failed in that aspect imo. And you don't lose anything from watching the movies instead of the first two arcs, besides some funny moments that aren't needed for the later stories.
Lord Beerus wrote:For anyone who's going into Dragon Ball Super having not seen Battle Of Gods or Resurrection F (yes, those people DO exist en masse) the movie retellings are needed to prevent Continuity Lockout.
Airing the movies on television would fix that problem.
Doctor. wrote:Necessary? I'd argue that, in theory, yes, in order to have an established "canon" and one story can flow seamlessly to the other; plus the opportunity could be used to improve on the original and rectify some mistakes (as they did here and there but not nearly enough). But the execution was poor and the canon ended up a mess anyway, so why bother.
Ya, I agree with this. They could have fleshed out the arcs and made them more interesting, but they just messed it up and waisted our times for the most part, except for the inbetween episodes. Pretty much the stuff that wasn't covered in the movies were the good parts.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:51 am

dragon boss z wrote:While that would work, imo they ended up making even more contradictions in the retellings so they kind of failed in that aspect imo. And you don't lose anything from watching the movies instead of the first two arcs, besides some funny moments that aren't needed for the later stories.
Mind elaborating on what contradictions you're referring to?

The retellings clarified/added a lot, made alterations with the rest of the series in mind, and added a couple underrated scenes imo.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:17 am

PFM18 wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:Yes they absolutely were neccesary. These two stories, were actual in-universe stories written by Akira Toriyama, and since Super was an entirely new show, starting all the way from scratch (continuing from the Buu saga) they had to include these ones. (Or at the least the God of Destruction Beerus Saga) since that was the one that introduced all these universes, expanded the God Hierarchy, introduced Saiyan God forms etc etc. They can’t just start the series with the third arc telling people to “just go watch the movies if you want to get up to speed on what’s happened in the past.” Hell, a lot of people may not even have seen the movies. Super was meant for an entirely new audience aswell.

Yeah the only problem with the retellings is how they were executed. If they just waited longer to release them instead of rushing them out it would have been better. The animation was REALLY bad in those first two arcs. Especially before they touched it up later on.
Well from a writing perspective, they handled it okay (aside from the inconsistencies) i mean, this is a show which has the ability to expand on certain plot points greatly, and needless to say, they certainly took that chance. I.e. Goku and Vegeta’s training under Whis. More explanations about things that were merely hinted in the BoG movie etc. I’m not getting into all the details right now but you get the point. Yes. The Animation was much worse than the movies, but that’s not exactly a show’s greatest strength. It was definitely the expansion of certain plot points, considering all the time they have with all these episodes. All in all, i was satisfied.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:55 am

dragon boss z wrote:No, they could have just aired the movies on T.V. right before Super started.
Yep, or could they could have just done a small 2 to 3 episode recap, as there was absolutely no need to devote 27 episodes worth of content that were derived from two movies that were barely feature length. Especially Resurrection of F, since outside of a few moments of world building and dialogue most of it was just pure fighting.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:40 am

They were necessary in the sense of production. Imagine u6 arc having as much bad animation as bog or future trunks having as bad animation as rof.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:02 am

Dragono wrote:They were necessary in the sense of production. Imagine u6 arc having as much bad animation as bog or future trunks having as bad animation as rof.
I still don't understand, how could they screwed the pooch with BoG and F TV series so badly? Episode 5 was so bad it was in news TV in Mexico. Sailor Moon Crystal 1st season and Hpapiness Charge Precure were often pretty bad, but not to this extend
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:11 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

Well from a writing perspective, they handled it okay (aside from the inconsistencies) i mean, this is a show which has the ability to expand on certain plot points greatly, and needless to say, they certainly took that chance. I.e. Goku and Vegeta’s training under Whis. More explanations about things that were merely hinted in the BoG movie etc. I’m not getting into all the details right now but you get the point. Yes. The Animation was much worse than the movies, but that’s not exactly a show’s greatest strength. It was definitely the expansion of certain plot points, considering all the time they have with all these episodes. All in all, i was satisfied.
I really don't know what inconsistencies people are referring to