Going back to Adventures in the franchise

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeztin
I Live Here

Going back to Adventures in the franchise

Post by Xeztin » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:05 am

Basically what early GT attempted, would it work to have the series go back to this? Namek was the last, real, adventure. You got to know the planet and its people along with its threat. It seems after that it was a bad guy shows up on Earth or Goku and Vegeta are called to another planet and take care of buisness without destroying it. Does Goku really have to be a kid again to pull this off? How about chasing an enemy back-in-time and exploring ancient Earth or ancient and past planets? As bad a rep as GT got, I loved the adventure part while still having cool battles and puzzles.

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Going back to Adventures in the franchise

Post by Analytical Delusion » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:16 am

It would be welcome, but it's difficult as long as Goku can teleport. A big part of adventure arcs is the actual journey - and as long as you have a mechanism to move freely, you lose a lot of that. I haven't much of GT, but from my understanding they got around the problem by nerfing the technique heavily when Goku was a kid.

You can still have arcs with some degree of mystery. I think both the Android/Cell and Zamasu arcs did a good job of that (though in the former, Goku was out of commission for a good while). To be honest, the Zamasu arc was perhaps the best opportunity for an "adventure" arc. Not in the traditional sense - there wasn't really any destination - but similar to Namek, with hiding from an omniscient and overpowered enemy.

In the future, other than sidelining Goku, I'm not sure what the best way to accomplish this is. You could go to another timeline, but I wonder if it would be stale/feel recycled? It's a shame because Namek is my favorite arc, and I liked some of the adventure elements of the original Dragon Ball (the only downsides were that most tension was artificial, as Goku was clearly stronger than most enemies he faced in the adventure arcs, Tao Pai Pai aside).

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:40 am

I feel that they kinda reached a bit of a dead end here, The main characters are now so ridiculously powerful they can basically pull any solution to a problem out of their asses.

Oh how I miss the old days, where the protagonists were the weaker underdogs and death still had any meaning. :(

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:38 am

with hiding from an omniscient and overpowered enemy.
A recurring theme in the arc, because there were many segments devoted to showing Mai and the Resistance hiding desperately from Zamasu's onslaught, and obviously the first episode of the arc (the episode with the highest ratings in all of Super) is about Trunks and Mai escaping from Black, who appears as an ominous malevolent entity clouded by mists.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:32 am

Analytical Delusion wrote:It would be welcome, but it's difficult as long as Goku can teleport. A big part of adventure arcs is the actual journey - and as long as you have a mechanism to move freely, you lose a lot of that. I haven't much of GT, but from my understanding they got around the problem by nerfing the technique heavily when Goku was a kid.
I don't see much difficulty. Goku's teleportation already has limitations that maintain the viability of journeys. Goku can't teleport to Mt. Doom if he can't sense anyone's energy around it. Old fashioned flying is a bigger issue, but even then, all you need to do is add some speed controls. Flying over to the Elite Four without the requisite badges won't help you.

I want Goku to go on an adventure to find his next and final master(for the beautiful symmetry of 7 DBs/7 masters). He won't be able to sense their energy so he can't lock onto them, and he won't know where they are so he can't go directly to them. That means asking around and following up on leads, and there's your journey.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:36 pm

Seeing how original series and first arc of GT are heavily underrated - this won't work.
I would like to see some good adventures, but majority probably wouldn't. At least not in the same way. It would have to be more serious and action packed, but then it would lose most magic of adventure that original DB and GT partially had.
I can't imagine adult Goku having such humorous adventures. In GT we had kid Goku and still child Pan + Trunks who kinda played Yamcha role.
What kind of team in Super could be anywhere as fun? Goten and Trunks do not exist as seperate characters outside of GT. Maybe Krillin could join Goku.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:20 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:What kind of team in Super could be anywhere as fun?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:32 pm

SsjCookie wrote:I feel that they kinda reached a bit of a dead end here, The main characters are now so ridiculously powerful they can basically pull any solution to a problem out of their asses.

Oh how I miss the old days, where the protagonists were the weaker underdogs and death still had any meaning. :(
What show was this? Wasn’t Dragon Ball where Goku stomped most of his opponents. And death never had meaning after Goku revived Bora.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:50 pm

HeroR wrote:
SsjCookie wrote:I feel that they kinda reached a bit of a dead end here, The main characters are now so ridiculously powerful they can basically pull any solution to a problem out of their asses.

What show was this? Wasn’t Dragon Ball where Goku stomped most of his opponents. And death never had meaning after Goku revived Bora.
Naw, that happened after Shenron got revived. Krillin and Master Roshi's death's had the biggest impact in the story, since it was a first for the main cast, and then King Piccolo killing the dragon made you think it was goodbye for good.

I like the idea of adventure type stories and with several other universes left to explore, it's not impossible.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:20 pm

Honestly I was hoping Champa arc would be Goku etc fighting in the tournament as they did but a select team of Bulma Jaco etc exploring space looking for the Super DBs. That way it could also reduce reaction crowd shots.

Incidentally #31 is my favourite episode of that arc.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:16 am

This could very easily happen, it just has to be without Goku or Vegeta. A Trunks and Goten adventure show, maybe with Bra or Pan :thumbup:

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:48 am

It'd be cool, but they'd either have to have a new cast of weaker characters or go to a universe where everyone is ridiculously stronger and planets are more durable lol. Basically we need a universe where our heroes are small fry again otherwise their are no stakes really.

*edit - What I thought they'd do with this multiverse tournament was have a interdimensional adventure show kinda like One Piece or the original DB where they'd introduce new strong characters and adventures week to week.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-