What's with the lack of insert songs in Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

What's with the lack of insert songs in Super?

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:59 pm

Dragon Ball had 9, Z had 7, Kai had 8, Super has 1. What gives?
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: What's with the lack of insert songs in Super?

Post by shadd21 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:14 am

Toei being cheap?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:38 am

Insert songs are usually plot related; Super didn't have much pre-planning. Maybe they didn't have enough lead in time to know where the plot was going in order to come up with some insert songs to add in. The ToP lasted a little over a year so the time to do this stuff was finally there? Or maybe it was a request of the current director? Or maybe it was to do a nice likely send off since they knew it'd be the last arc for a while.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:36 pm

Chuquita wrote:Insert songs are usually plot related; Super didn't have much pre-planning. Maybe they didn't have enough lead in time to know where the plot was going in order to come up with some insert songs to add in. The ToP lasted a little over a year so the time to do this stuff was finally there? Or maybe it was a request of the current director? Or maybe it was to do a nice likely send off since they knew it'd be the last arc for a while.
I'm going to predict that they just didn't want a insert song before the TOP happened.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:17 pm

I'm actually surprised they didn't reuse BOG and ROF insert songs in their respective arcs because that would be the logical thing to do, just like reuse movie scenes to help the schedule instead of bother to remake everything from scratch.

Oh well, in Toei and DBS defense Ultimate Battle is the best insert song this franchise ever had.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.