Anime Jiren Vs. Manga Jiren: Which Do You Prefer And Why?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Anime Jiren Vs. Manga Jiren: Which Do You Prefer And Why?

Post by Nokra » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:51 pm

I'm going to go with anime Jiren. I like both versions for different reasons but I feel that anime Jiren is slightly better because he just comes off as more of an intimidating and unstoppable force even near the end of the tournament. He just feels more powerful and savage overall compared to his manga counterpart who is touted as being very powerful but doesn't come off that way especially with the whole roshi dodging him in chapter 39 which honestly was just bad no matter how you try to defend it. But which do you all prefer?

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Anime Jiren Vs. Manga Jiren: Which Do You Prefer And Why?

Post by TheOne » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:25 pm

I liked the mystery behind Jiren, so I choose anime.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:11 pm

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:26 am

Neither version offers a particularly interesting character, but I like the dramatic irony surrounding Manga Jiren. Him wanting his master to acknowledge him despite doing everything his master did not want him to do is a solid piece of writing. It humanizes Jiren far better than the anime ever did, and adds a layer of vulnerability/insecurity to his character. It’s more of a light flavoring than anything, but I’m glad it’s there. Anime Jiren is just bland in every area.

reecehoward
Beyond Newbie

Post by reecehoward » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:54 am

Anime by far. I don't really care for either that much, but AT LEAST the anime one warranted UI being necessary from his abilities alone (being able to dish out attacks that could not be seen and his glare thing), not even getting to his raw power and speed. That prevents him from being the complete bore he is in the manga, where there's nothing to seperate his fighting style from any generic Dragonball character.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:44 am

reecehoward wrote:Anime by far. I don't really care for either that much, but AT LEAST the anime one warranted UI being necessary from his abilities alone (being able to dish out attacks that could not be seen and his glare thing), not even getting to his raw power and speed. That prevents him from being the complete bore he is in the manga, where there's nothing to seperate his fighting style from any generic Dragonball character.
Agreed, the anime version of Jiren is overall much more entertaining than his manga counterpart.

More interesting attacks, plus him breaking his limits to go toe to toe with MUI Goku was awesome and his firey aura.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:46 am

reecehoward wrote:Anime by far. I don't really care for either that much, but AT LEAST the anime one warranted UI being necessary from his abilities alone (being able to dish out attacks that could not be seen and his glare thing), not even getting to his raw power and speed. That prevents him from being the complete bore he is in the manga, where there's nothing to seperate his fighting style from any generic Dragonball character.
Piccolo Jr. is one of the best DB villains, but he doesn't have any gimmicks to differentiate himself from this supposed, "Generic Dragon Ball Character."
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:25 am

They are basically completely different characters, so it's hard to really compare them.

Still, I lean much toward Anime Jiren: while Manga Jiren was written more tightly, he never feels The Strongest In The Multiverse, but just somebody strongern but not completely invincible.
Which was probably the intent of Toyotaro.

Viceversa, theanime staff made Jiren an Invincible Monster who needed Goku going through a bullshit power-up THRICE before he could actually fight him on the same level. I mean, everybody was wondering how the hell they were going to defeat him in-story and viewers too. He was OH-SO-MUCH more ENTERTAINING than Manga Jiren.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:34 am

ankokudaishogun wrote:They are basically completely different characters, so it's hard to really compare them.

Still, I lean much toward Anime Jiren: while Manga Jiren was written more tightly, he never feels The Strongest In The Multiverse, but just somebody strongern but not completely invincible.
Which was probably the intent of Toyotaro.

Viceversa, theanime staff made Jiren an Invincible Monster who needed Goku going through a bullshit power-up THRICE before he could actually fight him on the same level. I mean, everybody was wondering how the hell they were going to defeat him in-story and viewers too. He was OH-SO-MUCH more ENTERTAINING than Manga Jiren.
Very valid point. Anime Jiren is wayyyyy more entertaining than manga Jiren, who is boring to no end in my book.

reecehoward
Beyond Newbie

Post by reecehoward » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:55 am

Bergamo wrote:
Piccolo Jr. is one of the best DB villains, but he doesn't have any gimmicks to differentiate himself from this supposed, "Generic Dragon Ball Character."
Piccolo Jr DID have gimmicks!lol Since when is turning giant not a gimmick? He did so twice and Goku got around that. That and he could fly in an era where that wasn't commonplace.

What can manga Jiren do that gives him his own uniqueness in battle, especially compared to everyone they've fought in Super?

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:03 am

For me, Anime Jiren by far.

In the beginning, he's set up as this intimidating wall that nobody could possibly defeat. He was gruff, and DIDN'T take Goku's sh*t whatsoever. Later on, he gained interesting layers, such as his contempt for his own teammates' weakness compared to his own strength, his inability to see how Goku and the rest of team Universe 7 could persevere in spite of the power difference, and his obsession with strength being the most important fact of the series being a dark mirror of the community's own obsession.

He was strength personified, and the anime showed just how empty and shallow such an idea would be.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:04 am

reecehoward wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
Piccolo Jr DID have gimmicks!lol Since when is turning giant not a gimmick? He did so twice and Goku got around that. That and he could fly in an era where that wasn't commonplace.

What can manga Jiren do that gives him his own uniqueness in battle, especially compared to everyone they've fought in Super?
Piccolo Jr. doesn't use the giant fighting style though. The post said that Jiren needs something to differentiate his fighting style.

BanterTheGreat

Post by BanterTheGreat » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:28 am

Manga Jiren by a long shot, comes over as a actual person instead of generic anime loner hate friends guy.
The fact that we know his wish and that it shows that while trying to earn his masters respect he only did the opposite, it actually makes me care about him. He also doesn't become a potential mass murderer out of the blue, which helps.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:18 am

It's tough. Manga Jiren is more characterised, but anime Jiren is more consistent. Also, he has the advantage of his story being finished and knowing they stuck the landing, even if they had to pull out of a tailspin to do so. Logically manga Jiren's story shouldn't be much different, but there's already been so much different. In fact, if manga Jiren's story does end the same way as anime Jiren, it might hurt him. It's easy to buy a redemption arc about trust for anime Jiren because he spent so much time leading up to the reveal being an antisocial prick. Manga Jiren being closer to Actual Superman makes it harder to square the idea that his big issue is not being able to trust people and needing a pat on the back from dead sensei.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:35 am

Bergamo wrote:
Piccolo vs Goku was gimmicks: the fight. Turning into a giant, regenerating limbs, flying casually and spamming blasts, all of which were new at the time. Every chapter was Piccolo pulling some kind of technique out of his ass and Goku finding a way to overcome it.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:58 am

I prefer the anime. While the manga has been different in it's approach, I wouldn't say it was necessarily better. The anime Jiren was just so intimidating, he felt like this unstoppable force of nature. Going up against 4 of U7s strongest warriors and not even flinching was insane. The hype around him was well worth it.

Manga Jiren has had more personality, but I feel he's been nerfed in other regards. Not just him, the whole power scaling in the manga feels toned down. Jiren feels like another warrior. Nothing about him sets him apart from the rest. Anime Jiren didn't bother fighting with anyone not worth his time. He even started meditating when he felt all the warriors he was needed for were knocked out. The manga version doesn't feel as invincible

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:16 am

Manga Jiren, for having a clearly defined goal and coming across less like a generic loner with an equally generic backstory. His manga counterpart is a bit of a loner himself, but it’s mostly in regards to him not caring much for teamwork, rather than him straight up rejecting the idea of trusting other people due to his past trauma.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:18 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
Piccolo vs Goku was gimmicks: the fight. Turning into a giant, regenerating limbs, flying casually and spamming blasts, all of which were new at the time. Every chapter was Piccolo pulling some kind of technique out of his ass and Goku finding a way to overcome it.
I should clarify. Piccolo doesn't have a signature gimmick. Piccolo isn't known as the guy who turns giant or the guy who flies. Just because Jiren is the guy who can block attacks just by looking at them doesn't mean he is an inherently more interesting character because of it.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:56 pm

For me it’s hard to say which one I prefer until the finale of the manga .
Anime was extremely invincible , ultra instinct ( black hair ) helped , because it was a joke against him. Jiren barely talk until the last 3 chapters ?
Manga is more touchable at fight , offering less tension but more talkative and leading to a better understanding of his whereabouts.
One thing is clear to me , prefering one version or the other of jiren is somehow related to u.i performance , and there I rather the manga for now by 2 horses .
Introduction of goku to jiren was cool in the anime , but those yoggi moments were ...”unnecessary”
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

reecehoward
Beyond Newbie

Post by reecehoward » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:16 pm

Bergamo wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Bergamo wrote: Piccolo Jr. is one of the best DB villains, but he doesn't have any gimmicks to differentiate himself from this supposed, "Generic Dragon Ball Character."
I should clarify. Piccolo doesn't have a signature gimmick. Piccolo isn't known as the guy who turns giant or the guy who flies. Just because Jiren is the guy who can block attacks just by looking at them doesn't mean he is an inherently more interesting character because of it.
Well Jiren isn't really that interesting to begin with.lol This is a fighting series, however, so AT LEAST his fighting prowess should be standout. Just think about how generic Frieza and Cell were personality wise in Z. Their fighting prowess and overall buildup is the reason people loved them so much back then. Manga Jiren only has a slightly better(different) backstory than his anime counterpart, other than that he has NOTHING going for him at all.

Also, Piccolo does have gimmicks. He started the whole regeneration staple of DB villains. He now has the Makkankosoppo. He's the only character with a badass cape and turban. Like everything about Piccolo stands out, especially comparing him to the main cast. There's a reason people hate how he got thrown to the background after Cell.