Dragon Ball needs a New Generation?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Dragon Ball needs a New Generation?

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:23 pm

Well taking into account that many anime series had this type of sequel where the protagonist leaves the post to his legacy as the case of Digimon 2 and Kinnikuman nisei sometimes succeed and sometimes not.
This however has not been the case of Dragon Ball either in Z-GT-Super maybe sometimes in the movies but it is only momentary since the protagonist was always Goku but if they had let the legacy have the opportunity to continue it would have been a good idea? :D

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Dragon Ball needs a New Generation?

Post by zarmack » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:32 pm

When Super moves past the end of Z, they should definitely make "next gen" focused story arcs. Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo and Broly could serve as mentors for Caulifla, Cabba, Uub, Kale and whoever else would be apart of this new Z-Fighter group.

If you remove the whole "this is all a video game" thing and connect it to Super, DB Heroes Victory Mission would make a great next gen spinoff (it takes place 100 years after the end of GT). I wouldn't a Beat and Note focused story, with Goku and Vegeta being legends from the past.
Last edited by zarmack on Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:32 pm

No. Goku is Dragonball, They tried it with Gohan for a small bit and it didn't connect with fans. Milk Goku and Vegeta for as long as you can.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:47 pm

Give Goten something to do?

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:53 pm

Dragonball is about Goku and to an extent Vegeta, its not Dragonball without Goku as the MC. Also noone of those characters are particularly interesting or new, this new generation crap is as unimaginative as milking the series to its death

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:57 pm

CTAkuma wrote:Dragonball is about Goku and to an extent Vegeta, its not Dragonball without Goku as the MC. Also noone of those characters are particularly interesting or new, this new generation crap is as unimaginative as milking the series to its death
Keeping Goku & Vegeta in the spotlight 24/7 (at the expense of everyone else) itself is milking the series to death. And a lot of those other characters you dismiss are actually pretty popular.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:01 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:No. Goku is Dragonball, They tried it with Gohan for a small bit and it didn't connect with fans. Milk Goku and Vegeta for as long as you can.
Gohan as the protagonist of the Buu arc flopped because Toriyama failed to have Gohan live up to the hype he created in the Cell Games. In popularity polls, Gohan was actually still the most popular character in the first half of the Buu arc. Its only around the time SSJ1 Gotenks shows up is when Gohan began to lose favor with the fans.

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:02 pm

zarmack wrote:
CTAkuma wrote:Dragonball is about Goku and to an extent Vegeta, its not Dragonball without Goku as the MC. Also noone of those characters are particularly interesting or new, this new generation crap is as unimaginative as milking the series to its death
Keeping Goku & Vegeta in the spotlight 24/7 (at the expense of everyone else) itself is milking the series to death. And a lot of those other characters you dismiss are actually pretty popular.
I didn't say they weren't popular, but that they are uninteresting and not new. New Generation archetypes have been done to death, i prefer the series being milked to death with Goku and Vegeta

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:24 pm

I think it's entirely plausible to relegate Goku to the role of a master while still having the series focus on him. Especially given the nature of his recent UI Transformation. That to me is the pinnacle of what Goku can reach. The tension should come from his pupils facing the new threats only for one to arise that they cannot and require the likes of Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, and potentially Broly to step in and face

(God it sounds so weird lumping Broly in with the Z Fighters...)

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:26 pm

zarmack wrote:
RecolorSaiyan wrote:No. Goku is Dragonball, They tried it with Gohan for a small bit and it didn't connect with fans. Milk Goku and Vegeta for as long as you can.
Gohan as the protagonist of the Buu arc flopped because Toriyama failed to have Gohan live up to the hype he created in the Cell Games. In popularity polls, Gohan was actually still the most popular character in the first half of the Buu arc. Its only around the time SSJ1 Gotenks shows up is when Gohan began to lose favor with the fans.

The "real" gohan aka great saiyaman/awkward nerd would never have sold. He was below F Trunks and Piccolo in the official poll conducted around the time of the bootenks fight.Unless toriyama changed who gohan fundamentally was, it wasn't gonna work

Burakku

Post by Burakku » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:11 pm

No thank you.

We had Gohan and he never was the true successful in being the main guy.

Don't see Trunks and Goten doing any better.

But they should at least give them a far bigger role.

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:22 pm

To be honest, If this happened, I'd probably not watch the show anymore. I don't find any of these characters interesting and I personally prefer narratives that focus on mainstay "adult" characters rather than young children. This is one of the major reasons why GT was a turn off for me. I absolutely hated that Goku was turned into a child, and Pan was just an annoying little brat that got way too much screen time. And Uub? Meh, don't hate him, but don't love him either. I personally would prefer a spin-off that focused on the villains over new generation heroes.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:54 pm

I believe Dragon Ball should be pushing for new protagonists. But at the same time, you can still have Goku and Vegeta in the main spotlight.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:29 pm

DB without Goku and Vegeta, It would be like Looney Toones without Bugs and Disney without Mickey, i mean, those figures are iconic, it won't work to write them out of the franchise.

They could try some smaller arcs, type Garlic Jr., and experiment with new protagonists to see what the reaction of the "vox populi" might be.

Goku could shift to a teacher-role over time, but he'll still be expected to show up at the end and surpass his limits to beat the new "cosmic-scale threat" that appears to be pummeling the New Generation.

It could maybe work if the Next Gen-series would run next to the main continuity as a shorter series (12 episodes a year?). People would still have the choice for Next Gen-series to enjoy apart from the traditional Goku / Vegeta-colored arcs.
TOEI is building a department especially dedicated to DB, so who knows what's possible in the future?

Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:19 pm

CTAkuma wrote:
zarmack wrote:
I didn't say they weren't popular, but that they are uninteresting and not new. New Generation archetypes have been done to death, i prefer the series being milked to death with Goku and Vegeta
Wouldn't you at least want arcs focusing on other characters? I get a radical shift to other characters would seem bad, but for a new dragon ball series - giving goku and vegeta a less singifcant role while still being important to the show - would not seem too bad, right?

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:06 pm

Son-Kakaroto wrote:Wouldn't you at least want arcs focusing on other characters? I get a radical shift to other characters would seem bad, but for a new dragon ball series - giving goku and vegeta a less singifcant role while still being important to the show - would not seem too bad, right?
I don't mind focus on characters who are interesting like Hit or possibly Broly now, but this annoying "New Generation, All kids and teens children of the MC's" archetype is what immediately turns me off.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:34 pm

CTAkuma wrote:
Son-Kakaroto wrote:Wouldn't you at least want arcs focusing on other characters? I get a radical shift to other characters would seem bad, but for a new dragon ball series - giving goku and vegeta a less singifcant role while still being important to the show - would not seem too bad, right?
I don't mind focus on characters who are interesting like Hit or possibly Broly now, but this annoying "New Generation, All kids and teens children of the MC's" archetype is what immediately turns me off.
This is pretty much where I'm at when it comes to next gen. One of the things I like about Dragon Ball is that we're following adult main characters which is kind of a novelty among shounen franchises where most often you follow stories about kids and teens (I mean Dragon Ball started out like that too). Hit and Brolli both seem like they've got interesting tales to tell.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:54 pm

CTAkuma wrote:
There a lot more potential story you could pull out of the U6 Saiyans and Uub than you could with Hit (based on what we know about him so far).

People have gone on and on about a potential Planet Sadala arc so I don't need to speak on that. As for Uub, a story involving Majin Buu's real origins (since Bibidi didn't actually create him according to Toriyama, he only discovered him) could work for an arc.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:42 am

Gohan
the problem is that although gohan I saw him grow, we saw him become strong and form a family besides having a facet of hero added to that now he fights and trains to protect his family that in a way makes him more interesting than goku, no it develops as well as he when it comes to interacting with others.
with goku has a facility to be friends and new rivals all because it has in common the love for the fight what makes it have some "chemistry" with their opponents as with tienshin han, piccolo, paikuhan, hit, beerus and kefla makes the fight more fun and interesting this is not possible with Gohan, he has no rivals and the friends he has made "on their own" are not warriors except piccolo although that case is in itself special.
Something that convinced me about it is in the manga of Toyo changing the fight of Goku and kefla for one with Gohan and in this version unlike the other I did not feel anything and the interaction felt unreal, that part included that Toyo influences bad
with a Gohan denying his saiyan inheritance and a kefla surrendering but I think he understands what I say, Gohan does not enjoy the battles which makes it complicated to advance a story of "fights" and "overcoming" with he.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:57 am

It probably wouldn't attract nearly as much fanfare as Super is right now. Many fans of the classic roster prefer to see beloved faces whom they grew up with -- not some spy johnny-come-lately who, along with his own posse of relative unknowns, is seeking to usurp the roles of protagonist. Me? I think greater consideration ought to be given to the characters already established, not just Goku and Vegeta. But that doesn't mean I would personally like to see the reigns handed over so unexpectedly. Gohan is someone whom I wish had been allowed to fulfill the role he was given but I know that has little to no chance of happening in the current environment. What's he been getting as of lately in the Tournament of Power is probably the best we're going to be able to enjoy.