Things Super or a new series NEEDS to do

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Things Super or a new series NEEDS to do

Post by BWri » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:42 pm

ZeroDio wrote:For Me
5. Zalama showing up to take away all of the Dragon Balls in universe 6 & 7 due to his view of the heroes “misusing” his creations. So Goku and the gang try to convince him to not take them so Zalama decides to do a “God of The Dragon” Trial where the heroes have to beat Warriors that would basically be reworked Godly versions of the Shadow Dragons
Some GT "do-overs" would be nice. An expanded Super 17 arc would be great. Maybe Gero has other contingencies such as a time activated switch which slowly infects 17 & 18 for a brief heel turn which gives them both new forms such as Super 17. There's not much more I see them doing with Baby though, GT handled that fairly well. If they use the other characters more or change the scenario a little, maybe Goku and Vegeta get corrupted and Trunks and Goten have to be the heroes ... something like that could be cool.

I still want to see a Piccolo vs. 17 rematch! I can't believe they've robbed us of that twice now.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:12 am

The MOST Important Things that a New Series Needs to do is Not Rush it self to get the series out fast so they don't make the mistakes like they did last time. They also need to restructure their writing teams, make them smaller and that they stay constant with each other in episode by episode storytelling like a Comic Book does.

But Story-wise, what the New Series NEEDS to do for Me to Consider watching it is to Incorporate the other Universe More into the Greater story of the DB Mythos going forward. You don't have a story like the ToP, New protagonist leads like from Universes 6, 11, 2 and the More and Not include them in greater events of the stories, espically if the stacks grown higher and higher. The Series can't devolve into only the Goku, Vegeta and Frieza story, it has to incorporate not just the Main cast of most of the Universes, the Leads as least, but utilize other main characters from Universe 7 well like they did in the ToP arc. After all the work done with characters like Android 17, 18, Roshi, Gohan and the others, the fall backwards and to have them as not participate would be a crime.

So the DB creative team needs to know to expand their horizons, Toei can't put this Genie back in that bottle of other Universes and the Use of their own U7 supporting cast and expect fans like me and others that Greatly Loved the New Universes and became Big Fans of Characters like Ribrianne, Kale, Caulifla, Toppo, Jiren and others to expect us to accept they will not have some part going forward.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:38 pm

What I would LIKE them to do is give Goten more screen time. I didn't realize how much I felt he was neglected until he got completely shafted from the Future Trunks arc. What I think they NEED to do is give the staff more time for pre-production. I would hate to see the show come back only to find out that the first 13 weeks are devoted to retelling the Broly movie.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:15 pm

1. Bring Baby into Super. But instead of taking Vegeta's body, he takes Beerus' instead. This would give us a Goku vs Beerus rematch and expand on the Tuffles.

2. A U6 Planet Sadala arc, with Vegeta as the lead character, and a lot of focus on Cabba, Caulifla & Kale. Goku & Broly should be involved too.

3. Canonize Android 21, her backstory would make a great arc and it could also expand on A17 & A18's characters. It could also be an excuse to bring back Cell.

4. An arc about the 1st mortal time traveler from U12. This could also be an excuse to bring back Future Trunks (again).

5. Have it take place after the end of Z.

6. Have an arc about Zalama.

7. An arc about Universes 13-18.

8. A Pride Trooper saga, with Jiren as the focus.

9. A Hit-centered story arc, about his origins and goals.

10. Make Gohan and Piccolo relevant again by any means possible. And give Piccolo a SSB level power-up.

11. Have Goten and Present Trunks grow up and get move involved. Bring GT Goten's characterization into Super's Goten.

12. Have an arc about at least one of the 4 Universes that didn't compete in the ToP.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:03 pm

The follow up series must re-kindle that long forgotten DBZ vibe , Include tension , alarming atmosphere , along with consistent art and animation. Super as a whole was a mess , rehashing old ideas and executing them poorly with sub-par writing. When I re-watched DB, DBZ I was actually astonished at the quality difference when comparing It to Super. I want that old feeling of adrenaline running through me , being brought to the edge of my seat. I shouldn't feel bored , or uninterested when Goku Is fighting. THAT'S ANOTHER THING. Goku kept his background as a martial artist throughout his fights In Z , whereas Super just makes him seem generic In combat.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:29 pm

1. go past End of Z / age up the cast properly

2. stop rehashing / bringing back old villains for fanservice and make something entirely new.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:31 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:1. go past End of Z / age up the cast properly

2. stop rehashing / bringing back old villains for fanservice and make something entirely new.
Gligarman wrote:What I would LIKE them to do is give Goten more screen time. I didn't realize how much I felt he was neglected until he got completely shafted from the Future Trunks arc. What I think they NEED to do is give the staff more time for pre-production. I would hate to see the show come back only to find out that the first 13 weeks are devoted to retelling the Broly movie.
Definitely agree here. My boy Goten desperately needs spotlight. The Black arc was the perfect time, but they let that opportunity drop hard.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:36 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:

Gligarman wrote:What I would LIKE them to do is give Goten more screen time. I didn't realize how much I felt he was neglected until he got completely shafted from the Future Trunks arc. What I think they NEED to do is give the staff more time for pre-production. I would hate to see the show come back only to find out that the first 13 weeks are devoted to retelling the Broly movie.
Definitely agree here. My boy Goten desperately needs spotlight. The Black arc was the perfect time, but they let that opportunity drop hard.
I thought for ABSOLUTE SURE that he was going to somehow turn out to be Black. They even wear the same color sash! lol

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:56 am

Gligarman wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:

I thought for ABSOLUTE SURE that he was going to somehow turn out to be Black. They even wear the same color sash! lol
The long shirt is what did it for me. I hoped then I remembered half-saiyans grow their hair out. Would've worked better if it were Goten or Gohan IMO
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:37 pm

THIS!!!

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:34 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:When I re-watched DB, DBZ I was actually astonished at the quality difference when comparing It to Super.
I had the opposite experience during my rewatch. After rewatching DB, DBZ, I realized that DBZ really isn't much better if any than DBS. I never felt while watching DBZ, that I was more entertained, or that the story was more compelling, or really that overall it was significantly better. Actually, I never felt while watching it that DBZ did ANYTHING significantly better.

All they need to do really is go past EoZ and they'll be fine.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:45 pm

PFM18 wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:When I re-watched DB, DBZ I was actually astonished at the quality difference when comparing It to Super.
I had the opposite experience during my rewatch. After rewatching DB, DBZ, I realized that DBZ really isn't much better if any than DBS. I never felt while watching DBZ, that I was more entertained, or that the story was more compelling, or really that overall it was significantly better. Actually, I never felt while watching it that DBZ did ANYTHING significantly better.

There is not a single arc in Super that was better than the 22nd TB, King Piccolo/23rd TB, Saiyan and Namek arcs in DB(Z). Even the Buu saga is debatable. And no one in Super got anywhere near the amount of character development that any of main recurring cast got in the original manga. Hell, Tien got more development when he was the main villain than Jiren did in Super (and he's one of the neglected characters of the original manga).

Plus, Z/Kai and early DB had a much higher number of great fight scenes than Super and with a more consistently good art style (its only when Yuyu Takahashi and Shida come in is when Super starts looking aesthetically pleasing, and that's by coping the Perfect Cell/Buu saga art style).

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:28 pm

Multiverse war.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:34 pm

zarmack wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

There is not a single arc in Super that was better than the 22nd TB, King Piccolo/23rd TB, Saiyan and Namek arcs in DB(Z). Even the Buu saga is debatable. And no one in Super got anywhere near the amount of character development that any of main recurring cast got in the original manga. Hell, Tien got more development when he was the main villain than Jiren did in Super (and he's one of the neglected characters of the original manga).

Plus, Z/Kai and early DB had a much higher number of great fight scenes than Super and with a more consistently good art style (its only when Yuyu Takahashi and Shida come in is when Super starts looking aesthetically pleasing, and that's by coping the Perfect Cell/Buu saga art style).
I specifically said "I realized that DBZ...." so pay closer attention next time. The Buu arc is a complete joke, the Cell arc is vastly inferior to the Zamasu and ToP arcs, and the Namek and Saiyan arcs actually make it a fair comparison. The Saiyan and Namek arcs are phenomenal and I agree they are better than anything in Super, but upon my rewatch I more so realized across the series that DB is by far the best series, and DBZ and DBS are neck and neck overall. Using character development in a vacuum as an argument in Z's favor is ridiculous given that it is going to naturally have more development just by virtue of not taking place after the series is already over and the character arcs are over. And even then, I think Z's character development advantage over Super isn't really a dramatic difference at all.

Oh, and It''s completely laughable to say Z is more aesthetically pleasing than Super. Super's visuals are leaps and bounds better in everything other than the retellings.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:55 pm

PFM18 wrote:
zarmack wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

I specifically said "I realized that DBZ...." so pay closer attention next time. The Buu arc is a complete joke, the Cell arc is vastly inferior to the Zamasu and ToP arcs, and the Namek and Saiyan arcs actually make it a fair comparison. The Saiyan and Namek arcs are phenomenal and I agree they are better than anything in Super, but upon my rewatch I more so realized across the series that DB is by far the best series, and DBZ and DBS are neck and neck overall. Using character development in a vacuum as an argument in Z's favor is ridiculous given that it is going to naturally have more development just by virtue of not taking place after the series is already over and the character arcs are over. And even then, I think Z's character development advantage over Super isn't really a dramatic difference at all.

Oh, and It''s completely laughable to say Z is more aesthetically pleasing than Super. Super's visuals are leaps and bounds better in everything other than the retellings.
1. The only episodes of Super that look great visually are the Takahashi/Shida episodes, and they aren't that many in number. Though to be fair, Super's best animation beats out the best of the other 3 shows.

2. Your character development argument doesn't work, because character development for any recurring character in a series should only end when the series itself ends. It doesn't matter at what point in their lives the characters are, so its no excuse. Either way, no one in Super (nor even Early DB for that matter) got development on the level of say, Piccolo in the Saiyan and lesser extend Namek arc, Gohan from the beginning of Z to the Cell Games, Future Trunks in the Android arc, Vegeta in all of Z, etc.

3. The Buu Saga is easily overall better than most of Super (and all of GT) except the Black arc. It mainly the Gotenks/middle area of the saga that drags it down. Your right about the Cell saga though.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:03 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:Multiverse war.
Please no, grand scale arcs mostly always end in failure or begin falling apart during the midpoint. Besides, we've already had similar arcs in scales such as the Goku Black and TOP; now I think it would best if they toned it down a bit. Although that's not to say I wouldn't want one to happen; however, I would want it to have sufficient build-up and foreshadowing sprinkled throughout smaller scale arcs either directly or indirectly. Unlike the TOP, which was briefly mentioned at the ending of one arc as a simple tournament hosting the multiverse's best fighters, then later introduced one arc after as some universal deathmatch out of the blue. More else, grand scale arcs usually signify the ending of the series, while it's bound for Super to end in that way I wouldn't want that to be the concept for it. Preferably, I would like to see what ramifications it caused, as well as, how the writers would incorporate those ramifications into later story arcs. For example, One Piece's Marineford would be a great example of a war arc done right.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:54 am

zarmack wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
zarmack wrote:

1. The only episodes of Super that look great visually are the Takahashi/Shida episodes, and they aren't that many in number. Though to be fair, Super's best animation beats out the best of the other 3 shows.

2. Your character development argument doesn't work, because character development for any recurring character in a series should only end when the series itself ends. It doesn't matter at what point in their lives the characters are, so its no excuse. Either way, no one in Super (nor even Early DB for that matter) got development on the level of say, Piccolo in the Saiyan and lesser extend Namek arc, Gohan from the beginning of Z to the Cell Games, Future Trunks in the Android arc, Vegeta in all of Z, etc.

3. The Buu Saga is easily overall better than most of Super (and all of GT) except the Black arc. It mainly the Gotenks/middle area of the saga that drags it down. Your right about the Cell saga though.
1. The entirety of the Zamasu arc and the ToP arcs look dramatically better than anything Z produced aesthetically. I don't see how this is even a discussion. Obviously, though, this is extremely subjective given we are talking about nothing but aesthetics.

2. That's literally my point. Super picks up a series that's intended to have ended, along with all of the corresponding character arcs. The character arcs shouldn't be judged by the shear amount in a vacuum, but rather what the story does with the "hand they are dealt" so to speak. In Super's case, they made the most out of mostly dealing with character arcs that were meant to be over. And to me, Vegeta's development, in the Buu arc at least, is extremely overrated and Super handles the continuation of his character arc way better.

3. The entire arc drags immensely. The story outstays it's welcome, especially when the main villain is painstakingly boring and just generally not compelling. During most of Buu's existence, he can't even form a coherent sentence, let alone form a menacing demeanor with substantive motivations or goals. He just kinda wants to aimlessly blow shit up, and it isn't exactly entertaining to watch it unfold.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:24 am

PFM18 wrote: 1. The entirety of the Zamasu arc and the ToP arcs look dramatically better than anything Z produced aesthetically. I don't see how this is even a discussion. Obviously, though, this is extremely subjective given we are talking about nothing but aesthetics.
This is such a joke. Muted, lifeless expressions, lack of any impact when characters get hit, the infamous "ATATATATA" which consisted of 2 looped frames of combatants throwing stiff punches at each other for eons to make up for a lack of choreography, recycled poses (not talking about recycled animation), lack of camera movement, etc. Sure, the Takahashi episodes looked nice (in large part because he decided to ignore the supervisor's character designs and base his own designs on the ones from Z) and so did the finale but to not see the decline in quality of animation is just downright lying. Even when Z's animation didn't have it's A team behind it, it still managed to be fluid, dynamic, and have a personality.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:40 am

PFM18 wrote:
zarmack wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

1. The entirety of the Zamasu arc and the ToP arcs look dramatically better than anything Z produced aesthetically. I don't see how this is even a discussion. Obviously, though, this is extremely subjective given we are talking about nothing but aesthetics.

2. That's literally my point. Super picks up a series that's intended to have ended, along with all of the corresponding character arcs. The character arcs shouldn't be judged by the shear amount in a vacuum, but rather what the story does with the "hand they are dealt" so to speak. In Super's case, they made the most out of mostly dealing with character arcs that were meant to be over. And to me, Vegeta's development, in the Buu arc at least, is extremely overrated and Super handles the continuation of his character arc way better.

3. The entire arc drags immensely. The story outstays it's welcome, especially when the main villain is painstakingly boring and just generally not compelling. During most of Buu's existence, he can't even form a coherent sentence, let alone form a menacing demeanor with substantive motivations or goals. He just kinda wants to aimlessly blow shit up, and it isn't exactly entertaining to watch it unfold.
1. This is so obviously wrong on so many levels, especially with how the Black arc falls apart in its last 4th of episodes.

2. Again, your character development argument makes little sense, and it sounds like excuse making for Super's lack of development for most the main cast. Either way, your post sounds you basically admitting that Z gave them more development than Super.

Buu saga Vegeta had more character development and better writing than literally every other character at any point in the franchise. It was the culmination of everything that happen with him since his debut reaching a boiling point, and him overcoming said boiling point then finally becoming a true hero. The only reason why Super's & GT's versions of Vegeta even exist is because of his development in the Buu saga, so its laughable to say those versions are any better. Buu saga Goku is appealing (and underrated) for similar reasons.

3. Fat Buu & Super Buu had more personality and entertainment factor than Jiren.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:08 am

supersaiyanZero wrote:
PFM18 wrote: 1. The entirety of the Zamasu arc and the ToP arcs look dramatically better than anything Z produced aesthetically. I don't see how this is even a discussion. Obviously, though, this is extremely subjective given we are talking about nothing but aesthetics.
This is such a joke. Muted, lifeless expressions, lack of any impact when characters get hit, the infamous "ATATATATA" which consisted of 2 looped frames of combatants throwing stiff punches at each other for eons to make up for a lack of choreography, recycled poses (not talking about recycled animation), lack of camera movement, etc. Sure, the Takahashi episodes looked nice (in large part because he decided to ignore the supervisor's character designs and base his own designs on the ones from Z) and so did the finale but to not see the decline in quality of animation is just downright lying. Even when Z's animation didn't have it's A team behind it, it still managed to be fluid, dynamic, and have a personality.
I frankly have no idea what you're talking about. The animation simply looks infinitely more fluid, the choreography is more dynamic, art is more detailed, it's just not even a comparison. I don't see how you can look at this objectively and come to this conclusion.

And what the fuck do you even mean by a "stiff" punch? How is one punch stiff and another isn't? Also, being "muted" has absolutely nothing to do with aesthetics. Being mute is an audio issue, not a visual one.

Oh, and my opinion is not "lying."
zarmack wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
zarmack wrote:

1. This is so obviously wrong on so many levels, especially with how the Black arc falls apart in its last 4th of episodes.

2. Again, your character development argument makes little sense, and it sounds like excuse making for Super's lack of development for most the main cast. Either way, your post sounds you basically admitting that Z gave them more development than Super.

Buu saga Vegeta had more character development and better writing than literally every other character at any point in the franchise. It was the culmination of everything that happen with him since his debut reaching a boiling point, and him overcoming said boiling point then finally becoming a true hero. The only reason why Super's & GT's versions of Vegeta even exist is because of his development in the Buu saga, so its laughable to say those versions are any better. Buu saga Goku is appealing (and underrated) for similar reasons.

3. Fat Buu & Super Buu had more personality and entertainment factor than Jiren.
1. The Black arc falling apart has nothing to do with visuals. This was a conversation of aesthetics not a writing one.

2. I don't think you even comprehended my argument considering your last sentence there. This isn't a matter of "admitting" one had more character development, it's about taking the development in context, as I explained in my post.

I didn't say "those versions" were better, considering that I never even fucking mentioned GT, so I have no idea how you managed to strawman me that hard on that one. You just kind of pretended as though I argued that GT's version was better.

Considering that you don't give a single example within that arc or even a description of Vegeta's development outside of just generic conjecture, I don't see this as refuting anything being said. Vegeta at the end of the Cell arc, realizes he cares about his son when he goes and attacks Cell knowing that he had no chance after seeing him being killed. Then the Buu arc opens, and Vegeta doesn't give a shit about Trunks all of a sudden, and only kind of uses him as a tool for bragging rights. Then, Vegeta "sacrifices" himself in a series where death means absolutely nothing, where the "sacrifice" accomplishes nothing and has no emotional weight considering everyone and their mother knew he would be revived. In the final fight of the arc, Vegeta shows time and time again against Kid Buu, that he isn't going to give up, no matter the odds. He just kept getting up and continuing to fight, no matter how beaten he got. He just wouldn't give up, and the scene actually displays this well. Then he turns around and goes on about seemingly giving up on surpassing his rival, when we had just established a moment prior that Vegeta never gives up. It's fucking retarded. Oh, and the last line of the manga Vegeta says "I will surpass you one day Kakarot" so it doesn't even stay consistent with later events. Vegeta's development in Super is simply more compelling IMO.

3. Even if that were true, it's a moot point because the ToP arc does not revolve around Jiren the same way the Buu arc does. Buu has way more focus, so his character has a much larger impact on the merit of the arc. The ToP arc has 79 other fighters playing a role, even if Jiren is the main antagonist.

But hey, at least this time you only used one logical fallacy instead of two.