Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Post by PFM18 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:10 pm

Tuesday is at an end. It appears to have sold 67% of the tickets that were sold on Monday. So about ¥54 million ($480,000).

Grand total of about ¥1,180-1,190 million ($10.5 billion) in 5 days.

I did miscount, Resurrection F actually did ¥1,357 million ($11.4 million) in 7 days, not 6 days as I said before. Broly is still going to fall behind it but not as much as I thought.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:52 pm

I'm a little confused.

The first weekend of DBS Broly surpassed RoF, but is being considered 3 days for Broly and 2 for RoF? And yet, is Broly somehow making less money?

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:56 pm

Weekend in JP is 2 days. Saturday and Sunday. Broli did not surpass F in the weekend.

Weekend actuals
F - ¥960 million
Broli - ¥813 million
Last edited by Saikyo no Senshi on Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:09 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:I'm a little confused.

The first weekend of DBS Broly surpassed RoF, but is being considered 3 days for Broly and 2 for RoF? And yet, is Broly somehow making less money?
Its only been claimed as surpassing it because they've included the Friday into it as well. So Broly across Friday, Saturday and Sunday surpassed Resurrection F across Saturday and Sunday.

So it's not really a fair comment to make because it has a days advantage on it. On a day to day basis, Broly has been behind Resurrection F from the start.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:07 pm

Michsi wrote:Anyway, I hope it gets better once holiday starts. I didn't see a kids being mentioned. That DB has a lot of fans in the 20-40 yrs range is understandable, but it'll be sad if they can't get the new generation as interested in the franchise.
The demo for the weekend was posted btw. Not numbers, but a general overview of who were mostly seen at the movies. 20-50 yr. old working men being the main customers. I underestimated how old DB can skew, but that was expected. Junior high(12-15 yrs) and elementary school(6-11) students were also seen. My guess is the latter showed up for SDBH card gifts cause Heroes demo is mostly kids. No mention of female audience. They didn't have much presence.
Last edited by Saikyo no Senshi on Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:32 pm

Over 80% of One Piece's fans are adults and their movies do noticeably better than Dragon Balls; moreover, there're more adults than kids in Japan, so I don't think kids not coming in are the reason box office isn't doing as well as expected. Its probably more-so to due to with Super itself, whether you like the show or not, it wasn't all that well written along with being incredibly divisive among fans. Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised if a large chunk of the fanbase didn't go for the fact of not really being a fan of Super.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:34 pm

I think it's just the brand. RoF was a Z movie, a noticeably more popular brand. Broly is a Super movie.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:36 pm

What? Are these numbers actually accurate? Didn't Broly have double the pre-order sales than RoF? This movie has Broly and Gogeta, the ultimate Dragon Ball cashgrabs, how is this movie doing worse than RoF?

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:40 pm

PFM18 wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote:I'm a little confused.

Its only been claimed as surpassing it because they've included the Friday into it as well. So Broly across Friday, Saturday and Sunday surpassed Resurrection F across Saturday and Sunday.

So it's not really a fair comment to make because it has a days advantage on it. On a day to day basis, Broly has been behind Resurrection F from the start.
Oh, right. Where do you get those numbers?

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:43 pm

Doctor. wrote:I think it's just the brand. RoF was a Z movie, a noticeably more popular brand. Broly is a Super movie.
...and Battle of Gods is a Z movie too.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:59 pm

Doctor. wrote:I think it's just the brand. RoF was a Z movie, a noticeably more popular brand. Broly is a Super movie.
I'm a little skeptical about that, while I can agree "Z" is still the more popular brand worldwide it shouldn't matter much domestically. As Super was on air for 3 years; as a result, merchandise sales for Bandai and Toei are highest they've ever been and Super was in the top 10 for most tweeted terms in Japan. Even if someone didn't watch Super but was a fan of Z, they would be bound to see some form of advertisement for it.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:14 pm

Second and third weekends will likely make up the slower week days, assuming the estimates are right.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:44 pm

Battle of Gods made ¥1.146 billion in 5 days with 988,000 tickets sold.

Resurrection F made ¥1.357 billion in 7 days with 1.01 million tickets sold.

Broly I would estimate has made $1.185 billion in 5 days with about 930,000 tickets sold.

So it's made a bit more than Battle of Gods but with less tickets sold. After 7 days it'll have made less than Resurrection F but possibly with more tickets sold.
superfan2024 wrote:What? Are these numbers actually accurate?
Pretty much yes. The figures up to Sunday were the ones that were reported and it's a bit of accurate estimate up to Tuesday.

Why is it doing worse? Who knows, but it's not doing drastically worse, it's only a little and it could turn around over the holidays.

Otherwise maybe the hype has been more of a western thing and hasn't translated over to Japan to the same extent. Maybe Broly just isn't as popular as Frieza?
The Saiyan God wrote:Oh, right. Where do you get those numbers?
Different places here and there. Anime News Network reported the Friday to Sunday figures for Broly. The Monday and Tuesday is my own estimate based off of those numbers and another Japanese site I probably shouldn't name.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:08 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
I'm a little skeptical about that, while I can agree "Z" is still the more popular brand worldwide it shouldn't matter much domestically. As Super was on air for 3 years; as a result, merchandise sales for Bandai and Toei are highest they've ever been and Super was in the top 10 for most tweeted terms in Japan. Even if someone didn't watch Super but was a fan of Z, they would be bound to see some form of advertisement for it.
Yes, but someone who has watched Z will watch a Z film. Someone who has watched Z but not Super will feel intimidated jumping into a Super movie thinking they've missed a whole lot.

I expect the movie to overtake F once it releases overseas though.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:21 pm

Seeing the Reviews in Japan a lot of them are 4.0- 4.5- 5.0 Stars so i guess that will make people curious to see the movie and possible make more than RF

for the second weekend..

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:40 pm

Well I don't know what's going on with this movie because this only just came out on Friday, today is only it's sixth day.

I'd already said that by Monday it wasn't even #1 anymore because it had fallen behind Bohemian Rhapsody to be #2. Now it's not even that though, it's still early in the day but now it's gone down to #3 and has only done half of the #1 movie.

I could maybe understand if Bohemian Rhapsody had just come out but no, it's been out for six weeks. This six day old Dragon Ball movie is doing half the business of a six week old Queen movie. The movie that's in number two at the moment has been out for a few weeks aswell.

Its not even a week old and it's #3 already? Supposedly people think the movie is pretty good so I don't understand this at all.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:57 am

Bohemia is a phenomenon in Japan. It has kept on increasing every week. It is one of those movies that just click with all audiences and keeps growing. Also, most importantly it has female support and today is Ladies' Day and that has given it a boost, same with Fantastic Beast(the #2 movie today), while Broli is more or less the same as yesterday cause like I said it has very little appeal to women.

The Wed total should still be a bit better than Tue though.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:34 am

Well it's still #3 for the day but yeah it has increased today. As of 9:30pm looks to be around ¥62 million with 48,000 tickets sold.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:11 am

Days over with, no real change from earlier. About ¥62 million ($550,000) from roughly 48,000 tickets.

Total after 6 days rougly ¥1.25 billion ($11.1 million) with roughly 980,000 tickets sold. So it should pass 1 million admissions on its seventh day which is the same as Resurrection F actually.

In comparison Resurrection F had made ¥1.29 billion with about 960,000 tickets sold after 6 days.

So it's made a little less money but sold a little more tickets up to yet. Up to you if you want to claim that as it doing better or doing worse but it's practically the same.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:13 pm

sold 20.000 tickets more but made less money??? that's weird is this some new strategy to make more money in the weekends with lower price tickets ??