Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:16 pm

PFM18 wrote:Oh! We've got something early.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/dragon-bal ... 202536491/

"Funimation Films’ domestic release of Dragon Ball Super: Broly is rolling a super opening day with an estimated $5M-plus per industry sources at 1,260 theaters. Estimates peg the six-day at $11M-plus and say that given the fanboy nature of the film, business will be frontloaded. There’s also a chance that Broly comes in higher than what we’re seeing now with around $7M."

Again so much higher than I thought. Just $5 million in itself is damn good. Around $7 million? Almost as much as Resurrection F's entire run on the first day? I'll believe it when I see it because that it absurdly high.

Edit: Oh and there's more, it says further down it's at $57.6 million Worldwide so far. That doesnt include this domestic gross. So pretty much it's passed Resurrection F's worldwide gross now.

It is the highest grossing Dragon Ball movie ever.
Resurrection F made $64.8 million

DBS Broly hasn't caught up to it yet.

FrostByte
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FrostByte » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:23 pm

Doctor. wrote:Didn't F do 60-something million?
64.8 million USD

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:30 pm

I'll just quote this again for the new page so people don't miss it.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/dragon-bal ... 202536491/

"Funimation Films’ domestic release of Dragon Ball Super: Broly is rolling a super opening day with an estimated $5M-plus per industry sources at 1,260 theaters. Estimates peg the six-day at $11M-plus and say that given the fanboy nature of the film, business will be frontloaded. There’s also a chance that Broly comes in higher than what we’re seeing now with around $7M.

Fox International has overseas on Broly where it has amassed $57.6M from 17 territories.
"
Lord Beerus wrote:Resurrection F made $64.8 million

DBS Broly hasn't caught up to it yet.
No what I'm saying is that according to that article it's made $57.6 million internationally which is not including this $5-7 million that it's made domestically that would bring its total up to possibly $64 million.

When you then add whatever it's made internationally today, the Wednesday, it would be more than that $64.8 million by now.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:41 pm

This movie should do well based on how amazing it was. Wow.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Guntank

Post by Guntank » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:39 pm

PFM18 wrote:Broly appears to have done around ¥45 million ($415,000) on Saturday. That's down 49% from last Saturday. Sunday went down last week but it should increase a decent bit this week so the ¥100 million estimate from earlier seems about right so far.

Not too much other significant information to give but there's a couple things.

In Argentina it's sold about 196,000 tickets in 2 days. Resurrection F did 450,000 tickets in its whole run so Broly might not be too far off come Sunday actually.

It opened to #1 in Puerto Rico, again made some record but I don't know what.

Not sure if this was mentioned but

"20th Century Fox Puerto Rico confirmed that Dragon Ball Super: Broly had a record of tickets during its opening day with over 18 thousand tickets sold, positioning itself as the highest grossing during Thursday, January 10. The film can be enjoyed in three languages: Spanish, English and its original version in Japanese with Spanish subtitles."

Sources: https://www.qiibo.com/entretenimiento/p ... ca/173237/
https://movienetworkpr.com/dragon-ball- ... erto-rico/

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:53 am

Cursed Lemon wrote:This movie should do well based on how amazing it was. Wow.
I think it will. I live in a crappy area in Florida. Anime releases are never huge, although MHA got nearly a packed room back in September or whenever it was. I went to my local theater tonight to see Broly and found out the movie sold out of the 7 P.M. showing. A bunch of people in line and I started shitting our pants until we found out there was a 7:30 showing. We had a decent-sized number of people for it. I really hope Toei makes good money from this because the movie is amazing. I think it will since people know about Super now that it airs on TV in the States whereas RoF just came out and didn't have the following the franchise does now.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:29 am

https://web.ultracine.com/

Argentina sold in 1 week 539.725 Tickets

Respect :thumbup:

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:12 am

Movie appears to have made about ¥8 million on Thursday. Should be around ¥3,663 billion now. I'm told that it's still expected to make less than ¥4 billion and might do around ¥3.9 billion but it could reach it if Toei keeps it going.

More importantly we will get the US opening gross later. It's usually about 3 or 4 hours they start to come out. Even though they said "around $7 million", I'd advise to not expect the best and just hope it does the $5 million they estimate because that itself is already very good.
Lujin_16 wrote:Argentina sold in 1 week 539.725 Tickets
Already considerably more than the 450,000 total of Resurrection F. Should be over $2 million.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:10 am

TheRed259 wrote:Tomorrow the movie is coming out in Bangladesh. Can we expect big numbers from there too?

How popular is dragonball there??? Bangladesh has a huge population so it will be really interesting to see how it does

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:45 am

They've updated it now it's getting closer to the real thing.

"Early AM industry estimates are in showing that Funimation’s Dragon Ball Super: Broly had a super opening day with $7.06M at 1,250 venues leading all films at the box office"

So it actually is at the high end...it took Resurrection F 8 days to make that amount.

Edit: Looks like the 6 day projection has increased from $11+ million to $15+ millionnow too.
Last edited by PFM18 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:48 am

PFM18 wrote:They've updated it now it's getting closer to the real thing.

"Early AM industry estimates are in showing that Funimation’s Dragon Ball Super: Broly had a super opening day with $7.06M at 1,250 venues leading all films at the box office"

So it actually is at the high end...it took Resurrection F 8 days to make that amount.
This makes me so hyped.
Feels over Reals.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:08 pm

Dragonball Super Broly is Number 1 in tickets sold at MovieTickets.com with 30.6 % and second place Glass with 12.4 %

That's a huge difference let's see how good it does in the weekend

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:53 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/BORReport/st ... 9262171136

"Dragon Ball Super: Broly grossed an estimated $7.03M on Wednesday."

That's over three and a half times as much as Resurrection F's opening day.

Kinda makes you wonder what it's going to make today, Thursday. Obviously not nearly as much as the theatre count will drop and the IMAX showings have gone now (supposedly) and it will be one of the most frontloaded movies ever I imagine but with a day like this it doesn't matter so much.

Presales for Thursday as of 10am are currently 26% of what the total presales were for Wednesday. That will increase as the day goes on. Can we get $2 million on Thursday? A second day that's better than Resurrection F's opening day?

I'd be happy enough with $2 million and really surprised yet again if it actually did $3 million.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:57 pm

I know this won’t affect all of the US but there is going to be a big snow storm over the weekend around the East Coast, New England and the Mid West which may affect sales.

At least it wasn’t during opening night!

BrandonR24
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrandonR24 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:12 pm

PFM18 wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/BORReport/st ... 9262171136

"Dragon Ball Super: Broly grossed an estimated $7.03M on Wednesday."

That's over three and a half times as much as Resurrection F's opening day.

Kinda makes you wonder what it's going to make today, Thursday. Obviously not nearly as much as the theatre count will drop and the IMAX showings have gone now (supposedly) and it will be one of the most frontloaded movies ever I imagine but with a day like this it doesn't matter so much.

Presales for Thursday as of 10am are currently 26% of what the total presales were for Wednesday. That will increase as the day goes on. Can we get $2 million on Thursday? A second day that's better than Resurrection F's opening day?

I'd be happy enough with $2 million and really surprised yet again if it actually did $3 million.

Holy moly. That's awesome! Hope it keeps this performance up during it's little run!

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:44 pm

https://twitter.com/BoxOfficeMexico/sta ... 7504367620

Seems like 5 million mexicans have already seen the movie that means another 7-8 Mio ???? + todays 7 mio in the US :shock:

Today is a good day :clap:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:48 pm

DBS Broly only 1 million dollars less than Resurrection F pulled in during its entire run in the USA?

That really is something else.

I see DBS Broly making between 12 - 14 million by the end of the it's run in the USA.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:08 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I see DBS Broly making between 12 - 14 million by the end of the it's run in the USA.
I think they're expecting for it to make more than amount by just Monday.

"Six-day projections are wild for the film, around $15M+, as folks expect the pic’s run to be significantly front-loaded over the MLK stretech"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:14 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I see DBS Broly making between 12 - 14 million by the end of the it's run in the USA.
I think they're expecting for it to make more than amount by just Monday.

"Six-day projections are wild for the film, around $15M+, as folks expect the pic’s run to be significantly front-loaded over the MLK stretech"
I'm gonna keep my estimations casually optimistic, so that I'm more surprised when it ends up overperforming.