Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Post by PFM18 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:33 pm

According to Box Office Mojo it didn't make $20 million by Monday..... because it's made $21 million by Sunday!!!

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Saturday - $4,960,000
Sunday - $3,300,000
Total - $21,077,471

It's Number 3 for the weekend, it actually beat Aquaman. I can't believe it's been making this kind of money. It was estimated for $11 million by Monday originally and that would have been decent.
Last edited by PFM18 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:45 pm

PFM18 wrote:According to Box Office Mojo it didn't make $20 million by Monday..... because it's made $21 million by Sunday!!!

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Saturday - $4,960,000
Sunday - $3,300,000
Total - $21,077,471

It's Number 3 for the weekend, it actually beat Aquaman. I can't believe it's been this making this kind of money. It was estimated for $11 million by Monday originally and that would have been decent.
What the heck, that's unreal.

Do you think it would have made much more if they didn't cut the theater count to 467?

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:50 pm

Holy shit :o

and that with only 400 screenings lol

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:34 pm

Monday is a holiday for us in America, so we may continue to pull big numbers!

What is the worldwide gross so far?

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:46 pm

superfan2024 wrote:Monday is a holiday for us in America, so we may continue to pull big numbers!

What is the worldwide gross so far?

Worldwide : 86,932,452 $ :thumbup:

I'm so happy :D

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:47 pm

Here it is.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BORReport/st ... 3918027777

The movie has made $86.9 million worldwide.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:02 pm

PFM18 wrote:Here it is.

Wow! So it actually did surpass RoF even when excluding the money made from America. That gross is damn impressive.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:30 pm

A breakdown was given on the same Twitter account.

It made $5.3 million Internationally for the weekend, a 72.3% drop. That's very big but also expected. And then it's listed as making this much in these countries.

Japan - $33.3M
Mexico - $9.5M
Brazil - $4.3M
Peru - $3.8M
Chile - $3.0M
Argentina - $2.6M
Colombia - $2.4M

The Japanese gross is still a bit off because how how they do the exchange rate but it should be more like $33.9 million.

Don't forget that these are estimates and last week they did drop $0.8 million with actuals. It's gotta make $100 million surely, it'll pass $90 million in a day or two.

Next week we have Australia, UK, Netherlands and New Zealand. Not the biggest of markets but a few million there probably.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:50 pm

I just went again yesterday, that place was STILL packed and... With adults!

Couldn't even sit where you wanted.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:34 pm

Holy freaking crap, 86.6 million?! Nagamine’s goal of 90 million is already set, and the movie still has many more countries to release in, i’m so proud of this fandom and this franchise!

In North America specifically, they need to show the next Dragon Ball movie (if there will be one) in a regular amount of theaters. It would make so much money.

However, given that this movie combined the greatest amount of DB fanservice into one film, i’m not sure if the international box office (countries with a normal amount of theaters/excluding limited North American theaters) will ever beat Super: Broly given that the next movies, if we get any, probably won’t feature Broly nor Gogeta.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:51 pm

It’s good to read the movie is being this successful. I knew it was going to be, and it’s a little sad that it’s been released in fewer theaters than MHA in the States and that it released with the dub still being only at episode 94. Dragon Ball has the potential to get even better profits but for it to happen it must get a simultaneous worldwide release in the major countries.

I could see a movie showing the last final battle between Goku and Vegeta as told in Dragon Ball Online, after DBS is over, as being a huge success if they played their cards right.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:55 pm

emperior wrote:It’s good to read the movie is being this successful. I knew it was going to be, and it’s a little sad that it’s been released in fewer theaters than MHA in the States and that it released with the dub still being only at episode 94. Dragon Ball has the potential to get even better profits but for it to happen it must get a simultaneous worldwide release in the major countries.

I could see a movie showing the last final battle between Goku and Vegeta as told in Dragon Ball Online, after DBS is over, as being a huge success if they played their cards right.

MHA had a much more limited run than DBS: Broly but yes I am still pissed it was dub only

Anyways it’s now the number 3 anime film of all time in the US. Not sure if it can beat the 2 Pokemon Films but who knows

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... on/.142330

Although as someone pointed out these numbers don’t account for inflation in ticket prices.

Shounen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shounen » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:48 pm

Kinokima wrote:Not sure if it can beat the 2 Pokemon Films but who knows
Pokemon opened with $20 million and Broly with $11 million, so no, not possible.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:51 pm

PFM18 wrote:Here it is.

Holy crap, that's a massive success for Dragon Ball. Anyone who has bought tickets and seen the movie by now you've done this fandom proud :thumbup:

Would be nice if Broly could close out with $100 million.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:52 pm

Kinokima wrote:
emperior wrote:It’s good to read the movie is being this successful. I knew it was going to be, and it’s a little sad that it’s been released in fewer theaters than MHA in the States and that it released with the dub still being only at episode 94. Dragon Ball has the potential to get even better profits but for it to happen it must get a simultaneous worldwide release in the major countries.

MHA had a much more limited run than DBS: Broly but yes I am still pissed it was dub only

Anyways it’s now the number 3 anime film of all time in the US. Not sure if it can beat the 2 Pokemon Films but who knows

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... on/.142330

Although as someone pointed out these numbers don’t account for inflation in ticket prices.
It has zero chance of beating the first Pokémon movie. As for the second one, that also seems unlikely, at least in North America.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:38 pm

Shounen wrote:
Kinokima wrote:Not sure if it can beat the 2 Pokemon Films but who knows
Pokemon opened with $20 million and Broly with $11 million, so no, not possible.
If you adjust things with ticket price inflation, Pokemon the First Movie made $53,947,600 in the first week back in 1999 and $85,744,662 overall in the US. Super Broly is not going to reach that amount of money with a limited released.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:26 pm

It's worth noting that there is a big disparity between figures that are being reported. Apparently Funimation didn't give a gross themselves which has left it all a bit dubious.

Box Office Mojo and Twitter Box Office reports that Broly made $10.6 million for the 3 day weekend and is at $21 million after 5 days. This is what Box Office Mojo said.
But then Comscore which is another reputable source is instead saying $8.7 million for the 3 day and it will be at $20.5 million after 6 days. Deadline and Hollywood Reporter are sourcing that with this being said.
So expect these figures to change around. If it does only make $20 million in 6 days instead of $21 million in 5 days. Don't be disappointed because it was looking at $17.8 million just yesterday but it more than likely will go down.

The other surprise, and I put no value into this at all, nobody should even begin to expect or hope for this to happen but Deadline also said this.

"Domestic end result here could be well north of $50M."

I have no idea how they got that figure. There's no way that will happen but it's still worth mentioning.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:31 pm

Deadline had a similarly outlandish prediction for Resurrection F's U.S./Canada total after its first few days, too. I suspect the people writing for them don't really understand the nature of these releases.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:12 pm

Some Japanese estimates from someone who knows the market much better than myself has this weekend estimate up.

¥70,000,000 ($640,000), -39%, ¥3,755,000,000 ($33.9 million), Dragon Ball Super: Broly WK6

That is what I had for the weekend but he has it doing quite a bit better than I had it at for the weekdays. Either way he says that Toei might well announce that it's surpassed Resurrection F tomorrow and that maybe it can reach ¥4 billion but it might fall off tracking before it does which would mean we wouldn't hear about it probably until a good while from now when the final totals are given.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Deadline had a similarly outlandish prediction for Resurrection F's U.S./Canada total after its first few days, too. I suspect the people writing for them don't really understand the nature of these releases.
Oh well there you have it then a prime example because it didn't do anything remotely like $18-19 million in the US in one week. It did $6 million in 7 days. They seem to be basing these numbers on if it were a regular wide release movie and it isn't, it's a very fan front loaded limited release.