Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FrostByte
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Post by FrostByte » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:27 am

Bullza wrote:So I emailed the guy over at Screen Daily who gives the Box Office updates and I asked him about this odd discrepancy in the foreign gross. Well he replied and told me was that the movie as of Wednesday had an international gross of $71.1 million from Fox territories. With the domestic gross being at $29.1 million, it means that the movie is at least guaranteed to be at $100.2 million worldwide. So it has passed that milestone, 100%.

But him specifying "Fox territories" and then saying that for "Other territories" he'd need information from Rentrak, obviously means it made additional money from other places not included within that $71.1 million.

Now seeing as the movie was distributed by Madmen Entertainment in Australia and New Zealand and National Amusements in the UK....that's likely not considered a Fox territory. So I think my speculation was likely correct and they haven't included those grosses in. When you do include them then it'd be closer to $103 million worldwide.
FINALLY! So happy to hear that it crossed $100 million worldwide.

saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyanhajime » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:12 am

Movie seems to have been extended here in the UK, again. Now seeing showings crop up all week. I’m in a major metropolitan area, but I’m still shocked!

Fearless

Post by Fearless » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:04 am

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... nime_films

Guys does this movie have a chance surpassing Case Closed movie box office?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:32 pm

Fearless wrote:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... nime_films

Guys does this movie have a chance surpassing Case Closed movie box office?
It should almost definitely pass Zero the Enforcer. It only opened in Spain yesterday where it was #1 for the day and it's still got France, Italy, Portugal, South Korea and hopefully China to go.

I'd kind of hope it would be around $105 million by Sunday. I highly doubt it would pass Pokemon the Movie 2000 though.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:15 pm

Bullza wrote:I highly doubt it would pass Pokemon the Movie 2000 though.
Shouldn't China be a huge market?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:30 pm

Doctor. wrote:Shouldn't China be a huge market?
It should be, it wasn't for Resurrection F though because it only made $1.6 million there. It did come out over a year and a half after it released in Japan though so that most likely hurt it.

One Piece Film Gold and Boruto the Movie both made $15 million in China and they came out a lot quicker. That would probably be the absolute best case scenario for it.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:05 pm

saiyanhajime wrote:Movie seems to have been extended here in the UK, again. Now seeing showings crop up all week. I’m in a major metropolitan area, but I’m still shocked!
Same, there's one theatre in Dublin (Liffey Valley) that is still showing Broly until Thursday at least, at which point it will have been out here for a full two weeks. Huge step forward after Resurrection F only getting one day and not in as many cinemas.

Seen it again today and there was still a good few people going. Hoping attendance has been holding out for everyone else.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyanhajime » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:22 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
saiyanhajime wrote:Movie seems to have been extended here in the UK, again. Now seeing showings crop up all week. I’m in a major metropolitan area, but I’m still shocked!
Same, there's one theatre in Dublin (Liffey Valley) that is still showing Broly until Thursday at least, at which point it will have been out here for a full two weeks. Huge step forward after Resurrection F only getting one day and not in as many cinemas.

Seen it again today and there was still a good few people going. Hoping attendance has been holding out for everyone else.
Awesome <3 I just booked it again for tomorrow!

Shounen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shounen » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:24 pm

But when the movie will be in China? Any info?

FrostByte
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FrostByte » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:10 am

Shounen wrote:But when the movie will be in China? Any info?
There's no release date for China yet.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:15 am

MangaUK have said that Broly is now the second highest grossing anime film in the UK behind Spirited away. So it's surpassed Howls Moving Castle now then. This was prior to the weekend, so it'll be interesting to see how it does.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:12 am

Sora Saiyan wrote:MangaUK have said that Broly is now the second highest grossing anime film in the UK behind Spirited away. So it's surpassed Howls Moving Castle now then. This was prior to the weekend, so it'll be interesting to see how it does.
I have no idea where they're getting that from because it's not true at all. Pokémon The First Movie made £10.7 million, the movie was massive, Pokémon itself was enormous here. Even Pokemon The Movie 2000 made about £2 million.

https://www.25thframe.co.uk/detail-page ... irst_movie
https://www.25thframe.co.uk/detail-page ... movie_2000

According to Box Office Mojo, Spirited Away made $1.3 million and Howls Moving Castle made $1.5 million. So they didn't even make nearly as much as the second Pokémon movie nevermind the first movie. I have no idea how they came to that conclusion.

Are you sure you didn't mean that it had surpassed Spirited Away though?

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:41 am

Bullza wrote:Are you sure you didn't mean that it had surpassed Spirited Away though?
Nope. They said in the comments of their tweet that Spirited Away was number 1.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:23 am

It looks like the movie is predicted to make ¥25 million in Japan this weekend but they don't give a running total but it's probably a bit short of ¥3.9 billion.

The Worldwide estimates should come out later. Without knowing if they're only going to include Fox territories or not it's hard to make any kind of estimate for it. They'll at least say it's above $100 million.

I figure it should be around $106 million but that's including everywhere and we probably won't get that.
Sora Saiyan wrote:Nope. They said in the comments of their tweet that Spirited Away was number 1.
Well that could be feasible enough, these sites only track these movies while they're still in the charts. Spirited Away could have just kept performing under the radar after it fell off to a better extent than Howl's Moving Castle.

It'd definitely not close to Pokémon though so maybe they just aren't counting that as an anime movie.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:49 pm

Unfortunately there wasnt much information shared at all this Sunday so we're going to have to wait until actuals come out on Monday. The only thing that we did get was this

https://www.screendaily.com/box-office/ ... 53.article

"Dragon Ball Super: Broly stands at $72m through Fox markets"

And seeing that the domestic gross is at $29.1 million as of Thursday then that at least puts it at $101.1 million worldwide. The real problem is then working out how much it has made when you factor in the non Fox markets as well.

That would be difficult to figure out but when you add in UK and Netherlands gross as of Sunday and Australia and New Zealands gross as of Wednesday then that adda to at least $104.1 million.

And that doesn't account for what their grosses are as of this Sunday including the US. It's also not including Germany, Spain, United Arab Emirates, Phillipines and maybe other places for all I know.

Factor all that in and it's safe to say that it's bound to be over $106 million.

BrandonR24
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrandonR24 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:55 am

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... on/.142974

Weird they are saying its run is over. All theaters around me still have it playing until Thursday with multiple showings. Maybe they just let theaters decide if they want to keep playing?

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:24 pm

https://twitter.com/BORReport/status/10 ... 5882900480

Domestic $30.03M and Worldwide it stands at $101.96M :thumbup: :D

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:02 pm

Maybe with this kind of reception that the next film is on full release.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:41 pm

So a bit of a round up. As was mentioned above the movie did pass the $30 million milestone in the US. Even though it had already overperfo, I wanted it to at least not that mark. Anything else it makes is just a bonus now. I can't imagine it making to much more but it might get up to $31 million.

Internationally the gross came in at $71.92 million instead of $72 million, no biggie.

What's particularly disappointing though is that they still have not added in the non Fox markets from last week. So now I don't know if they ever will which makes figuring out the true gross very awkward.

In Spain it was at estimated at €1 million ($1.14 million).

In Germany it was only shown for 1 day in the country apparently but it sold 73,000 tickets. Resurrection F did 19,900 which accounted for $301,000. So that could be around $1 million at a guess.

In Japan it made ¥29.1 million ($266,000) for a total of ¥3.891 million ($35.1 million).

So if I take the $101.96 million figure and add the latest non Fox grosses that I know about, including Spain's estimate but not Germany.....I get $106.2 million as a bare minimum so it could really be closer to $108 million.