Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:14 pm

TheRed259 wrote: I don't understand Spanish but I think this means that the movie will be for 1 more week in Spain?
Yes, it will run for an extra week.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:27 pm

Looks like the same thing happened again this week, they updated the foreign gross as of Tuesday and it's now at $330,000 less than what they had it at by Sunday.
TheRed259 wrote:According to this, the movie made $969,840 in Germany.
That's a superb find, especially as Box Office Mojo didn't give it's UK gross.

That would be $1.25 million in UK, $1.14 million in Spain and yeah like $970,000 in Germany.

They also gave what appears to be a worldwide gross in Euro for the previous three movies, which work out at

Battle of Gods - $50.9 million
Resurrection F - $63.5 million
Broly - $104.4 million

Which isn't quite where I've got each movie at, exchanges rates won't make it exact but it's very close, within 2-3%.
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Yes, it will run for an extra week.
Which is particularly odd because Battle of Gods was in theatres for a bizarrely long 16 weeks and Resurrection F 13 weeks so why is the more successful Broly only getting 2 weeks?

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:08 pm

PFM18 wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Well, Broly is leaving theatres in Ireland tomorrow. It was fun while it lasted. Over $1 million for here and the UK was good for what it was. Still nice it got a full two weeks. Hoping the next movie will get an even longer run due to Broly's success.
Don't worry man! I think the Blu-Ray is coming out in two months time so you can rewatch it multiple times.
....well an HD version of the dub already leaked on the internet that allows you to rewatch it multiple times. The only reason for Blue-Ray would be for an HD version of the Japanese Dub or just insisting upon watching it legally.
I want to support the official release.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:26 pm

Another smallish update, the domestic gross added another $140,000 for a total of $30.38 million.

You can see what I mean here about how they're not including all the countries grosses.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?p ... zbroly.htm

There's a weekend gross of $900,000 but it made $1.16 million from just Spain. Which obviously wouldn't make sense normally but now we know that $900,000 is from countries where it distributed only by Fox and Spain wasn't included because it was distributed by Selecta there.

When you add the other grosses from non Fox markets it comes to $109 million.

Fearless

Post by Fearless » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:34 pm

What about Japan?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:00 pm

Fearless wrote:What about Japan?
What about it specifically? That's included in the $71.6 million.

That's reported to be at $34.6 million (it's really more like $35.1 million though).

It might be around ¥3.92 billion now. So it's gonna be very close to either passing or not passing ¥4 billion.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:59 pm

No estimates were given today. Looks like we'll have to wait for tomorrow. There was no mid week update either but maybe it'll go up to about $103 million worldwide without Fox markets.

Next week theres a few openings, I think the main one is South Korea.

The other thread on here which gives the release dates for the different countries gave this link though about it releasing in all the major Nordic cities.

https://m.facebook.com/prompact/photos/2261384567467905

So presumably it will get a release in places like Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland. Whether we get figures from these places is another matter because they won't likely be distributed by Fox but either way it's more money for it.

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:28 pm

I can confirm they will show the Japanese version as well. Unfortunately for me, I will be going to South Korea soon so I'm going to miss the once in a life time opportunity to watch a Dragon Ball movie in Danish cinemas.

Does anybody know whether the movie will be in Korean or Japanese in South Korea? Either way, going to watch it there.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:44 am

Bullza wrote:No estimates were given today. Looks like we'll have to wait for tomorrow. There was no mid week update either but maybe it'll go up to about $103 million worldwide without Fox markets.

Next week theres a few openings, I think the main one is South Korea.

The other thread on here which gives the release dates for the different countries gave this link though about it releasing in all the major Nordic cities.

https://m.facebook.com/prompact/photos/2261384567467905

So presumably it will get a release in places like Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland. Whether we get figures from these places is another matter because they won't likely be distributed by Fox but either way it's more money for it.
Norway?!!! WHEN?!!!

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:09 am

sangofe wrote:Norway?!!! WHEN?!!!
Well presumably. It says "Coming up on all major Nordic cities" and according to this....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest ... _countries

Oslo in Norway is the third most heavily populated Nordic city. Then there's another three in the Top 12.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:36 am

Bullza wrote:
sangofe wrote:Norway?!!! WHEN?!!!
Well presumably. It says "Coming up on all major Nordic cities" and according to this....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest ... _countries

Oslo in Norway is the third most heavily populated Nordic city. Then there's another three in the Top 12.
I live an hour from Oslo! I sooo wish I get to see this. OMG I am so excited. Never imagined it could happen.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:53 am

Just a small update because there's been almost nothing to add lately.

The Numbers has it at making $71.97 million overseas as of February 12. Which is only where the movie had been estimated to be at by February 3. Its up to $102.3 million but again that's not including non Fox markets.

In Australia it's up to $1.42 million, Netherlands $708,000 and New Zealand $302,000.

They've also got the UK figure at being at $3.24 million but that's a mistake because that's the Argentina gross to the exact dollar.

There's been nothing from Japan but that could be around ¥3.94 billion by now.

It released in South Korea today. It's got a few markets this month mainly Indonesia and Italy.

All in all its hard to even say where it's really at but it could probably be over $110 million.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:51 pm

Well as soon as I said it hadn't updated...it updated. Box Mojo are saying $72.33 million by Tuesday so that would be more accurate.

So they have it at $102.7 million instead.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:39 pm

The movies grossed $211,000 in South Korea in 4 days. That already surpasses what Resurrection F made there which was $150,000.

It's probably worth pointing out that the movie released the same day as the 2018 Conan movie except that movie has made $570,000.

So apparently Conan is more popular in both Japan and Korea. Might be more popular than it in Asia general perhaps. I didn't think it was that popular.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:02 pm

Bullza wrote:So apparently Conan is more popular in both Japan and Korea. Might be more popular than it in Asia general perhaps. I didn't think it was that popular.
Detective Conan is monstrously popular in Asia, especially in Japan, and has been so since the 90s. The latest Detective Conan Movie, Zero the Enforcer, made over $100 million in just Japan, China and South Korea alone in 2018.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:25 am

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:43 pm

Which is $1.3 million then.

Yet again the article makes mention of it being the second highest grossing anime movie in the UK only behind Spirited Away as if the hugely successful phenomenon that was Pokemon didn't exist.

So really it's the fourth most successful.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:41 am

Bullza wrote:
Which is $1.3 million then.

Yet again the article makes mention of it being the second highest grossing anime movie in the UK only behind Spirited Away as if the hugely successful phenomenon that was Pokemon didn't exist.

So really it's the fourth most successful.
Are the UK numbers for the Pokemon film known? BM doesn't have the UK breakdown.

Fearless

Post by Fearless » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:47 am

So is the movie done in US?