Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Post by PFM18 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:49 pm

SSJgogeto wrote:Well, in the "Foreign" guide, we can't see any of these countries.
No you wouldn't yet. They add the overall total first and then over the week they update the individual countries.

It should be including everything. All we've got so far is this

"Dragon Ball Super: Broly added $1.7m from 19 to reach $69.8m. The anime has produced $34.2m after seven weekends in Japan, $10.3m in Mexico after three, and $3.3m in Chile after three."

That would be a 68% drop from last weekend despite it opening in new countries. It's still just an estimate so it's gonna change but I don't know how much.

Even the US gross estimates are all over the place. Box Office Mojo says $28.96 million. Comscore says $27.9 million. Twitter Box Office Report seems to have it at $28.5 million. Deadline says $26-27.9 million.

So it's all over the place and just strange this weekend. We'll have to see what they say tomorrow.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:10 pm

Can we really talk about a success when it comes to Japan?

I mean the new movie did cost a lot more money ($8,500,000) than ROF ($5,000,000) but (so far) it hasn't even made $1,000,000 more than ROF (if we take into account that it had to cover these $2,500,000).

Plus, I feel kinda bad for them because they wanted this movie to make more than $45,000,000 in Japan but as it seems this is not going to happen.

What do you think?

saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyanhajime » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:35 pm

PFM18 wrote:Yeah $98.8 million worldwide....

No I find that disappointing actually, I even had to double check to see if it was meant to be as of this weekend. Box Office Mojo had it at $66.6 million overseas on Tuesday and now by Sunday they've got it at $69.85 million?

So in 5 days and it also opening in UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Netherlands, United Arab Emirates and like 10 other small countries....it only made $2.25 million?

That doesn't seem right at all to me, $0.5 million of that alone should probably be from Japan. That would leave about $1.75 million between every other country. Resurrection F opened to almost $1 million between UK, Australia and New Zealand itself and you'd expect this would have done a lot more.

I have no idea where this went wrong. Have they underestimated it this weekend? Did they overestimate it last weekend?
Right? Something seems off. I’m not familiar with how box office stuff usually works, but boxofficemojo reports a drop on the Wednesday when it opened in the UK. Is it just reporting US figures? I don’t understand...

My screen was packed, my friend couldn’t get into a screen until Saturday, they added a bunch of extra showings, my local imax has one every single day.

And yet it dropped after a UK release? What...?

FrostByte
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FrostByte » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:31 pm

TheRed259 wrote:Can we really talk about a success when it comes to Japan?

I mean the new movie did cost a lot more money ($8,500,000) than ROF ($5,000,000) but (so far) it hasn't even made $1,000,000 more than ROF (if we take into account that it had to cover these $2,500,000).

Plus, I feel kinda bad for them because they wanted this movie to make more than $45,000,000 in Japan but as it seems this is not going to happen.

What do you think?
They marketed this movie heavily towards the western fanbase, and it is paying off very well. The first trailer was literally released in SDCC, which is something they have never done before. Toriyama, Nagamine and some Dragon Ball Room members mentioned that Broly is very popular in overseas,and that they want us to enjoy this movie. It made almost 100 million USD, which is Toei's highest grossing movie ever. So I don't think there's anything to feel bad about.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:56 pm

Oh sure, amongst last years movies Broly would be 12st highest grossing movie in Japan in 2018, made more money than Infinity War.

And it is the highest grossing of the series and sold the most tickets and apparently at fewer theatres and without 3D someone said? These movies aren't guaranteed to do better, One Piece Film Gold made ¥1.7 billion less than Film Z and that actually had a lot more theatres.

But yeah I'm a bit more mixed on its performance there because I did expect it to make more than just 6-7% more than Resurrection F. I was hoping for at least ¥4 billion. Toei said ¥5 billion and that wasn't really going to happen anyway but it's still a good way off.
saiyanhajime wrote:Right? Something seems off. I’m not familiar with how box office stuff usually works, but boxofficemojo reports a drop on the Wednesday when it opened in the UK. Is it just reporting US figures? I don’t understand...
If you're basing that off of what you see here.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?p ... zbroly.htm

Then that's just the US gross.

The figures are just an estimate and I'm hoping they go up because they seem so low that it makes me wonder if Australia and UK are even included in it but by all rights they should be.

they're saying it made $1.66 million for the weekend and that's actually what I was thinking it was going to make just from the Latin American markets never mind the entire international market.

Take out Japan and that only leaves about $1.3 million for all the other countries. It seems too little.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:10 pm

FrostByte wrote:

What do you think?
They marketed this movie heavily towards the western fanbase, and it is paying off very well. The first trailer was literally released in SDCC, which is something they have never done before. Toriyama, Nagamine and some Dragon Ball Room members mentioned that Broly is very popular in overseas,and that they want us to enjoy this movie. It made almost 100 million USD, which is Toei's highest grossing movie ever. So I don't think there's anything to feel bad about.
Plus in Japan Toei & Bandai are still getting a lot of money from the merchandise. Bandai's ¥10,000+ July HG set sold out it's original allocation I don't know what the number was, but each person can make up to 10 reservations so there must have been a lot maybe 1,000 if so that's a crazy number over ¥10,000,000! They've opened another shipment for August if that sells out they're laughing absolutely laughing.

That is not to mention everything else they made in December and Jan. I wonder if those figures will ever get disclosed...

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:36 pm

Yes Broly is popular but in my opinion Dragonball Super has helped the movie a lot i mean when you think about how many people have seen the series per

streaming every weekend worldwide

FrostByte
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FrostByte » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:02 pm

Lujin_16 wrote:Yes Broly is popular but in my opinion Dragonball Super has helped the movie a lot i mean when you think about how many people have seen the series per

streaming every weekend worldwide
Oh absolutely. DBS is also a major factor for this movie's huge success.

FrostByte
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FrostByte » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:31 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
FrostByte wrote:

What do you think?
Plus in Japan Toei & Bandai are still getting a lot of money from the merchandise. Bandai's ¥10,000+ July HG set sold out it's original allocation I don't know what the number was, but each person can make up to 10 reservations so there must have been a lot maybe 1,000 if so that's a crazy number over ¥10,000,000! They've opened another shipment for August if that sells out they're laughing absolutely laughing.

That is not to mention everything else they made in December and Jan. I wonder if those figures will ever get disclosed...
You're right. The merchandise for this movie is selling like crazy too. Wasn't the 'Rage form Broly' the best seller on Amazon JP for a long time?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:53 pm

FrostByte wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
FrostByte wrote: They marketed this movie heavily towards the western fanbase, and it is paying off very well. The first trailer was literally released in SDCC, which is something they have never done before. Toriyama, Nagamine and some Dragon Ball Room members mentioned that Broly is very popular in overseas,and that they want us to enjoy this movie. It made almost 100 million USD, which is Toei's highest grossing movie ever. So I don't think there's anything to feel bad about.

You're right. The merchandise for this movie is selling like crazy too. Wasn't the 'Rage form Broly' the best seller on Amazon JP for a long time?
It was for 2 weeks. Also last weeks Full Power Broly figure got an overabundance of case orders it made ¥15,465,600 from just the big three gamestations! It overtook Grandista UI Goku as the highest ordered DB prize figure!

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:54 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
FrostByte wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Plus in Japan Toei & Bandai are still getting a lot of money from the merchandise. Bandai's ¥10,000+ July HG set sold out it's original allocation I don't know what the number was, but each person can make up to 10 reservations so there must have been a lot maybe 1,000 if so that's a crazy number over ¥10,000,000! They've opened another shipment for August if that sells out they're laughing absolutely laughing.

It was for 2 weeks. Also last weeks Full Power Broly figure got an overabundance of case orders it made ¥15,465,600 from just the big three gamestations! It overtook Grandista UI Goku as the highest ordered DB prize figure!
I think what truly helped this film was the marketing and the fact that Super is just damn popular nowadays.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:00 am

The existence of Dragon Ball Super and it's popularity guaranteed that any movie was going to be successful but I'm still surprised by how well this is doing.

I always knew that there was potential for one of these Dragon Ball movies to make $100 million but I didn't know if it would ever get the opportunity it needed to do it but it will.

Broly has obviously played a big part in this doing well though. In fact bringing the old characters back in general seems to be the main selling point now. They brought back the whole cast for Battle of Gods, Frieza for Resurrection F, Future Trunks for what is the most popular saga in Japan and now Broly.

If they make another movie who else can they bring back? I don't think Cell or Buu or reinventing and Cooler would have the same impact.

Probably the only character who I could see them bringing back as a big selling point...would be Bardock. It's only a matter of time before he comes back somehow.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:01 am

Well we got the Australian and New Zealand figures.

https://twitter.com/numeroboxoffice?lang=en

The movie was #7 for the weekend in Australia with AUS$1.32 million ($950,000). Up 53% from Resurrection F's opening.

The movie was #1 for the weekend in New Zealand with NZ$307,000 ($212,000). Up 159% from Resurrection F's opening.

Now this is why I said it didn't make sense yesterday. It supposedly added $2.25 million from Wednesday to Sunday. Well those two alone add up $1.16 million and I believe it could be another $500,000-550,000 in Japan.

That only leaves around another $550,000-600,000 between all the other countries. That's way too little.

saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyanhajime » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:22 am

Yeah, just been digging and the numbers for the past week ain't out for the UK yet... No idea what's normal cuz I really don't keep up with film. There's like an extra 40 million people in the UK than Aus, so you'd think the numbers would be higher than there, which only adds to the "numbers just don't add up".

I guess they're just estimates and lowballing?

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:00 am

I'm still happy with the

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZimran » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:20 am

Just anounced that in the first 5 days in the UK the movie has made £850,000 which is about $1,117,452.50 at the currency conversion rate.

Source: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ce/.142659

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:23 am

Manga UK confirmed Broly made £850k.

saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyanhajime » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:20 am

"As you might expect, the Toei movie does not necessarily interest people beyond the fans who rushed the first week. Dragon Ball Super Broly moved from 4th to 10th place in the US Box Office in the second week and garnered $ 3.6 million, which is still a total of almost $ 29 million. This remains a big box, especially since it came out from 2 to 4 times fewer rooms than a normal blockbuster."
https://fr.ign.com/dragon-ball-super-fi ... nd-un-stop

"Toei Animation’s Dragon Ball Super: Broly has now surpassed anime sensation Your Name at the UK box office, distributor Manga Entertainment confirmed to Anime News Network this morning. The film is now the third-highest grossing anime film in the country, only behind Studio Ghibli’s Spirited Away and Howl’s Moving Castle, with the last quoted earnings being £850,000 – and with screenings still available in selected cinemas until at least 2nd February, that number is only expected to grow!"
https://animeuknews.net/2019/01/dragon- ... ox-office/

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:42 am

Glad to see DBS Broly is doing so well in the UK.

BrandonR24
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrandonR24 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:50 am

I don't know why but seeing it so close to the 30mil mark in the U.S. makes me really hope it hit's it. I see it's playing for like 3 more days, could very well hit that mark.