Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:29 am

Bullza wrote: What's particularly disappointing though is that they still have not added in the non Fox markets from last week. So now I don't know if they ever will which makes figuring out the true gross very awkward.
Have you considered emailing that guy again?

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:37 am

Broly didn't do as well as I thought it would here in Australia. 'F' made $1,093,511 here back in 2015. Broly has made $1,380,791 so far. That's around a 300k difference. I was expecting at least double of 'F's box office gross since Madman doubled the amount of theatres they showed Broly in compared to 'F's release. I honestly think it's because they decided to release this a whole 10 days after it hit the US. Releasing Broly over the Australia Day weekend was a bad call. Not to mention the film leaked online in fuckin HD somehow a few days after it released here, so that definitely had some effect on it.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:45 am

TheUltimateNinja wrote:Have you considered emailing that guy again?
I don't know what he could add. The grosses for at least a few of the Fox markets will get added to BOM over the week.

The only thing I could think to ask him is what markets are being counted. Apparently it's being tracked in 20 markets though.
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Broly didn't do as well as I thought it would here in Australia.
Yeah I was hoping for about $2 million myself. Oddly enough it did more than double Resurrection F in New Zealand but didn't increase nearly as much in Australia.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:22 am

Box Office Mojo didn't give it's Monday gross today though it is in some theatres. This can happen and they'll usually just update the total figure after a weekend.

I's all going to start to slow down now, Japan hasn't got much left in it, neither has US or Latin America and there's no new releases until South Korea on February 14th and then Italy on the 28th.

So I don't much I'll be able to add, maybe the individual grosses for the major countries here and there. Might help to pinpoint what the true over all gross is but that's about it.

Fearless

Post by Fearless » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:03 am

The movie should perform well in China this time.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:16 am

Well, Broly is leaving theatres in Ireland tomorrow. It was fun while it lasted. Over $1 million for here and the UK was good for what it was. Still nice it got a full two weeks. Hoping the next movie will get an even longer run due to Broly's success.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyanhajime » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:26 am

Articles still being written about the shock success... This one from Forbes dated yesterday. https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarde ... 551a554513

Also, I just had a thought - assuming the budget was the $8.5mil ish that's being thrown around, Broly is making more money per mill spent than Glass, with a budget of $20mill. Wtf.

That is insane. Glass might suck, but it's a big budget movie made to appeal to the masses and it has barely broke $200mill.

There's so many of us it's actually kind of amazing.

World domination, anyone? :lol:

Shounen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shounen » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:43 am

saiyanhajime wrote:That is insane. Glass might suck, but it's a big budget movie made to appeal to the masses and it has barely broke $200mill.
Not every big budget movie is successful in box office. With all this hype Broly should gain $100 million just in Japan but it did not happen.

saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyanhajime » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:47 am

Shounen wrote:
saiyanhajime wrote:That is insane. Glass might suck, but it's a big budget movie made to appeal to the masses and it has barely broke $200mill.
Not every big budget movie is successful in box office. With all this hype Broly should gain $100 million just in Japan but it did not happen.
Eh, I think you miss the point. Glass is made for a mass audience, Broly was made for existing fans of the series... Yet, they very clearly made it for more than just the Japanese fans. Perhaps they canabalised themselves a little in doing so, but the run also isn't over yet.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:04 am

saiyanhajime wrote:
Shounen wrote:
Eh, I think you miss the point. Glass is made for a mass audience, Broly was made for existing fans of the series... Yet, they very clearly made it for more than just the Japanese fans. Perhaps they canabalised themselves a little in doing so, but the run also isn't over yet.
Not to mention $100 million is twice Toei's most optimistic estimate for the Japanese market. It did well. Better than well. Non- Ghibli anime films are rarely globally successful and that it did even this well is a good sign. I imagine if Super's run had been better managed and it wouldn't have seen a global release so late it might've done even better.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:46 pm

The general rule of thumb as far as box office is concerned is that a movie needs to make double it's production budget to break even because half of the money goes to the theatres themselves.

So with it making roughly $108 million so far then with that rule of thumb applied it would have made a profit of $45 million up to yet.

A lot of movies would be happy with that. Star Wars Solo actually lost more money than that. It's a greater amount of profit than the likes of last years Tomb Raider, Skyscraper, Pacific Rim 2, Christopher Robin, The Equalizer 2 and so far even Mary Poppins Returns.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:03 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Well, Broly is leaving theatres in Ireland tomorrow. It was fun while it lasted. Over $1 million for here and the UK was good for what it was. Still nice it got a full two weeks. Hoping the next movie will get an even longer run due to Broly's success.
Don't worry man! I think the Blu-Ray is coming out in two months time so you can rewatch it multiple times.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:05 pm

Bullza wrote:I's all going to start to slow down now, Japan hasn't got much left in it, neither has US or Latin America and there's no new releases until South Korea on February 14th and then Italy on the 28th.
Apart from South Korea and Italy, we still have a few more countries: Saudi Arabia on February 14, Taiwan on February 22, Hong Kong and Macau on February 28, Indonesia on February, France on March 13, Portugal on March 14 and also Belgium, Luxembourg, Reunion and China at some point in 2019.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:15 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Well, Broly is leaving theatres in Ireland tomorrow. It was fun while it lasted. Over $1 million for here and the UK was good for what it was. Still nice it got a full two weeks. Hoping the next movie will get an even longer run due to Broly's success.
Don't worry man! I think the Blu-Ray is coming out in two months time so you can rewatch it multiple times.
....well an HD version of the dub already leaked on the internet that allows you to rewatch it multiple times. The only reason for Blue-Ray would be for an HD version of the Japanese Dub or just insisting upon watching it legally.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:14 pm

They updated it's domestic box office today.

Monday - $88,000
Tuesday - $118,000

Total - $30.24 million

Still chugging along. I think it's actually sold more tickets now in US than it has in Japan. What
Is annoying though is that they updated the UK grosses but Broly hasn't been included so it's figure is till as of the previous Sunday.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:31 am

PFM18 wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
....well an HD version of the dub already leaked on the internet that allows you to rewatch it multiple times. The only reason for Blue-Ray would be for an HD version of the Japanese Dub or just insisting upon watching it legally.
Oh, I'll be buying the Blu-Ray in a heartbeat. I own the entire series that's been released thus far and I'm certainly not going to stop now.

And watching the movie on Blu-Ray is the best way to watch it other than going to see it in theatres period. A leaked copy of the movie will still be compressed video, like all other streamed/downloaded versions, and can never compare to the quality of physical media.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyanhajime » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:50 am

PFM18 wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Sigh, you *do* understand that if you want more of something that is good, you have to speak with your wallet? :x

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:10 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
majinwarman wrote: Don't worry man! I think the Blu-Ray is coming out in two months time so you can rewatch it multiple times.
Oh, I'll be buying the Blu-Ray in a heartbeat. I own the entire series that's been released thus far and I'm certainly not going to stop now.

And watching the movie on Blu-Ray is the best way to watch it other than going to see it in theatres period. A leaked copy of the movie will still be compressed video, like all other streamed/downloaded versions, and can never compare to the quality of physical media.
Especially since the original source of the leak came from an upload on YT (which some people have also said was just upscaled from 480 to 720) so the actual BD release should look infinitely better. And owning something legally makes one feel good.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:48 am

Turns out I spoke too soon as Broly is still going to be shown in Dublin up until at least February 13th. These are late night screenings so they're unlikely to sell much, but its good to know Vue feel they can squeeze a bit more into the movies total UK/Irish gross.

And honestly, I never imagined after Battle of Gods only got screened at a con and Resurrection F was released for one day that Broly would get a full three week run. If other countries are seeing similar upward trajectories TOEI should seriously consider giving the next movie a full theatrical run like most other wide released movies, especially if Super continues to outdo itself financially when the series returns.

Either way, its good to know $110 million worldwide should be a lock now, maybe $120 million if it opens well in the remaining markets. Thanks to everyone who has bought tickets and supported this movie.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:And owning something legally makes one feel good.
Pride of ownership :thumbup:

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:57 pm

According to this, the movie made $969,840 in Germany.

I don't understand Spanish but I think this means that the movie will be for 1 more week in Spain?

Also, according to The Numbers, the movie (as of February 5) has made $641,430 in Netherlands.