Very happy to see Toyotaro keeping the official timeline and ages consistent for once!

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

Very happy to see Toyotaro keeping the official timeline and ages consistent for once!

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:36 pm

That’s the one thing i liked the most about this chapter! Back in the old days, the Daizenshuu (was it that one? Don’t remember) listed the attack of the Kaioshin’s by Majin Buu back to be around 5 million before age
(5 million years ago).

And that’s exactly how it should be, and the way i like it!

But then years later, Akira Toriyama just had to fuck shit up again. Because, you know, it’s Toriyama who forgets everything and retcons the hell out of shit all the time. In a fairly recent interview he stated that the lifespan of a Kaioshin (Not Kaio’s!) is just 75.000 years! Well that’s the same age as the regular Kaio’s! But we know East Kaioshin has been around since Majin Buu’s attack on the Kaioshin’s 5 million years back! So that logically makes East Kaioshin 5 million years old aswell. Exactly as it should be. And than ofcourse we have the Old Kaioshin who is 15 generations before this one. Thus making him 75 million years old. Perfect! Lets just keep it that way.

So since Toriyama decided to fuck with their ages again in order to downplay the Kaioshin’s. I’ve lost all hope..

Until now. Toyo finally does a good job, and has redeemed himself!
Last edited by GodVegetto91 on Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Very happy to see Toyotaro keeping the official timeline and ages consistent for once.

Post by Grimlock » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:51 pm

But then you remember he came up with "one day passes in the present, one day passes in the future" thus fucking up with the AGES already established. :roll:
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Re: Very happy to see Toyotaro keeping the official timeline and ages consistent for once.

Post by Rakurai » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:54 am

Grimlock wrote:But then you remember he came up with "one day passes in the present, one day passes in the future" thus fucking up with the AGES already established. :roll:
Toriyama already did that timeline fucking up before Toyotarou established that notion from what I understand.

The only age ever stated in the manga was Age 788, the age from which Cell came.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:56 am

Also, let's not expect Toriyama to be consistent with his own story anymore. He can't remember things from the manga that he drew over 20 years ago. He can't even be consistent with his own recount of past events in modern DB.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:03 am

Rakurai wrote:Toriyama already did that timeline fucking up before Toyotarou established that notion from what I understand.
Yes, but all the future timeline and when the events take place are wrong if we go by Toyotaro's logic.
Rakurai wrote:The only age ever stated in the manga was Age 788, the age from which Cell came.
Yeah, the guidebooks made the timeline based on that single year. It did make perfectly sense prior to all the Dragon Ball Super nonsense.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:29 am

You seem awully fixated on this one thing. "Losing all hope" just because Toriyama can't remember some dates? Really, there's more to the series than that.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:44 pm

Saturnine wrote:You seem awully fixated on this one thing. "Losing all hope" just because Toriyama can't remember some dates? Really, there's more to the series than that.
It ruins immersion when you can't trust the series you're reading to keep events and basic details intact. When this happens every once in a while, its okay but when it happens every arc and more frequently it does spoil even something you really like. For me when I was younger, the DB series was easily in my anime Top 5 (all time). Now, because I can't really take it seriously as a narrative, it can't even make it to Top 10 anymore. It's just mindless entertainment now, that's the only way I can enjoy it without being frustrated.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Omori
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Omori » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:04 am

I agree and I'm also happy that Toyotarou referred to the event when Majin Buu absorbed DaiKaioshin perfectly with 5 million years ago.
And about Toriyama I also think that he recently doesn't get the ages right...

If you have seen the Broly movie,
But still, 3.5 years on, where don't have official years for Super yet, right? Just going by Pans and Bras birth?
I think Xenoverse 2 mentioned 779 for Fukkatsu no F?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:19 am

Omori wrote:But still, 3.5 years on, where don't have official years for Super yet, right? Just going by Pans and Bras birth?
Universe 6 saga and Future Trunks saga both take place in AGE 779, established by Xenoverse.
Omori wrote:I think Xenoverse 2 mentioned 779 for Fukkatsu no F?
Yes. Also, Movie 15's guidebook and the old version of the official Dragon Ball SSSS website place Movie 15 in AGE 779 as well.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Omori
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Omori » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:09 pm

Grimlock wrote:Yes. Also, Movie 15's guidebook and the old version of the official Dragon Ball SSSS website place Movie 15 in AGE 779 as well.
But ever since Super started, we never got any official "ages" again, if I'm not mistaken..

I think someone of the Dragon Ball Room should go through all the material together with Toriyama and establish events with years (and better even months..)..

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:49 pm

Well, Dragon Ball Super started in 2015 and XV1 was released earlier that year and XV2 was released in 2016. I don't remember when the Dragon Ball SSSS was launched but I'm sure it was around that time too. I think they are enough of official information for AGES.

Establishing months would be chaotic. Hell, I ignore the ones already established (like Bulma's birthdate being in August, that would cause some trouble...). Having the events without a established month is easier and can solve many problems (as we can place and change when those events occur within a year so to avoid such problems).

~ Day of the Machines ~