Are there fans who will NOT see the Broly movie in theaters even if it is coming to their country? What's the reason?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Are there fans who will NOT see the Broly movie in theaters even if it is coming to their country? What's the reason?

Post by TheRed259 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:08 pm

I saw this video yesterday.

Basically the guy in the video says that he will not go and see the new movie because of the spoilers. So I wanted to know, if there are any other DB fans (if you happen to know or if you are one of them) who will not see this movie in theaters (when it's available in their country) and what's the reason for that decision.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Re: Are there fans who will NOT see the Broly movie in theaters even if it is coming to their country? What's the reason

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:36 pm

I want to, but even though its coming to the US, not one theater in my state will be showing it. :evil:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Are there fans who will NOT see the Broly movie in theaters even if it is coming to their country? What's the reason

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:50 pm

I won't, because I don't currently have a car or a driver's license so I can't get to the theater. And asking one of my parents to take me would just be embarrassing.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:00 pm

Spoilers and not sub are making me doubt , not sure , I really don’t like english dub . So May be I’ll wait , all the tickets are sold out for the first day and I don’t wanna buy them in advance , because if that day it’s snowing .. the half an hour to get to the theater can become over 1 hour ... so .. I’ll decide when the time comes.
I’m not super excited..... knowing most of the details ... also I made the mistake of watching a YouTube mirror screen that was there showing the first 40 min of the movie ... my bad
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:27 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:I won't, because I don't currently have a car or a driver's license so I can't get to the theater. And asking one of my parents to take me would just be embarrassing.
How?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:44 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:I want to, but even though its coming to the US, not one theater in my state will be showing it. :evil:
Lol that's a shame. I have like 8 within a 30 mile radius of me

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:07 am

TheRed259 wrote:So I wanted to know, if there are any other DB fans (if you happen to know or if you are one of them) who will not see this movie in theaters (when it's available in their country) and what's the reason for that decision.
Almost me. When they announced that Broly would once again return, I had given up hope. I had lost the remaining faith that the series would become good again. Not only Broly is the very definition of "garbage", the movie would come right after a series that had already been a letdown, two boring tournaments and just one saga with a plot (not to mention two horrible retellings). Another movie bringing back yet another old and stupid character for no reason at all was the last straw. Also, I still had in mind the bad experience I had with Movie 15, I got out of the theater really disappointed and angry at the fact that the movie is totally skippable, forgettable, ridiculous and a waste of time and money. I really didn't want to experience that again, so that contributed to my first decision of not going.

Then it was announced that Bardock, Gine and King Vegeta would be in the movie so it got my curiosity. As time went by and with the release of the second trailer, I thought the movie would finally give these characters more development and screentime and by the time the premiere/first spoilers/summaries were released, I had already considered the idea of going to the theaters and so I decided to give this series one more chance. I went and the rest is history (one that you can see if you go to the movie thread and see my review/what I thought about the movie), but simply putting here, I don't regret having watched it in the theaters, it was not an extremely terrible piece of work like Movie 15 (or Dragon Ball Minus and Dragon Ball Super, for that matter), but unfortunately it's far from being the best thing.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:17 am

I won't mainly because I don't like the movie theatres
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

FrostByte
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FrostByte » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:40 am

TheRed259 wrote:I saw this video yesterday.

Basically the guy in the video says that he will not go and see the new movie because of the spoilers. So I wanted to know, if there are any other DB fans (if you happen to know or if you are one of them) who will not see this movie in theaters (when it's available in their country) and what's the reason for that decision.
Those guys just want attention, so ignore them and move on.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:55 am

I have friends who loved DBZ as a kid and still have nostalgia for it but they won't see Broly because they haven't kept up with the new stuff. I get it though as I'm the same way with Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh, only having a passing knowledge of the newbest stuff.

Honestly though, I'd go see it even if I heard it was garbage, living in Ireland this is only the second time we've had a Dragon Ball movie in theatres (first time was Resurrection F) and I want to support it as much as I can to ensure Manga UK bring them over for years to come.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:28 am

I don't know if the movie will come to my country at all but I won't watch it anyway for two simple reasons: first, I don't have any close friends that are into dragon ball; secondly, I don't like the (portuguese) dub.
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:17 am

I haven't fully watched any of the Dragon Ball movies outside of the Cooler pair and Dead Zone. Chances are I won't be watching this one either. Adding to that point, the subject matter may not be for everyone and I think that I fit that categorical demographic.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:06 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:I won't, because I don't currently have a car or a driver's license so I can't get to the theater. And asking one of my parents to take me would just be embarrassing.
How?
How what?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:18 am

The film will not be shown with its original Japanese audio so I shall not be seeing it.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:25 am

Better things to waste my money on (namely, the film's Blu-ray).

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:43 am

I mean, I've been essentially spoiled since November. Being as involved as I am with the online and YouTube communities, I figured it would happen. YouTubers love to post "spoiler" videos, but then make videos weeks afterwards casually talking about spoilers as though everyone that watches them will know them.

But if anything, what spoilers I've read have made me even more excited to see it in theatres. And the fact my local theatre is actually showing it for about a week has me that much more hyped. So I definitely plan to see it next week. And besides:

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:31 pm

I was planning on boycotting the hell out of it like I did for Battle of Gods because they're not releasing it out here subtitled, but someone went and bought me a ticket so given that it's free I'm at least considering it.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:39 pm

Though I'm quite bitter that the US isn't getting any Japanese screenings, even though other countries are, I am still going to see it. Though seeing it dubbed first is definitely not my preference, the dub has improved enough to be a tolerable option (if it were still the old DBZ quality of dub, I'd probably have to skip seeing it in theaters entirely).
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:12 pm

Dub is the reason...I hate dub. It's corny and so unnatural. I'll wait for the Japanese sub.

Zamasu55
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Zamasu55 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:45 pm

Me.

The reason is simple: it's a boring movie with a reused character that I never liked. I'm much more interested in the manga (let's just hope Toyo doesn't screw it up) and in the brand new SDH saga (a group of people led by Zamasu that want to kill the Omni King, with characters like Jiren, Kefla and Hit included).