Dragon Ball 2019 Predictions Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Dragon Ball 2019 Predictions Thread

Post by PFM18 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:55 pm

ZombieVito wrote:
zarmack wrote: He should be fired, seriously.
First thing we can agree on.
Fired is a little harsh. I mean, Toriyama and him have a rapport and it doesn't seem that they have a better mangaka ready to replace Toyotaro.
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
ZombieVito wrote: First thing we can agree on.
I wouldn't go that far.
Lol, people really gotta chill with all this “fire him” stuff. Tbh, the only arc he’s done that could really be called bad for good reason is the T.o.P. With this recent arc, Toyo’s been on the mark. Give the dude a chance. Plus, he’s almost always been after the anime which makes it more difficult for him to impress others.
So you just kind of arbitrarily declared that there's no good reason to call any arc other than the ToP arc bad? The only arc that he did that wasn't bad was the BoG arc as far as I'm concerned.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:14 am

Lord Beerus wrote: I wouldn't go that far.
He desperately needs to go.

He can't get characters right at all.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:21 am

ZombieVito wrote:
He desperately needs to go.

He can't get characters right at all.
The way Toyotaro butchered Hit, Goku Black and Merged Zamasu still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:31 am

zarmack wrote: The way Toyotaro butchered Hit, Goku Black and Merged Zamasu still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Not only them. Goku, Vegeta, Kuririn, Piccolo, etc. All of them are butchered in the manga.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:07 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
ZombieVito wrote: First thing we can agree on.
I wouldn't go that far.
Lol, people really gotta chill with all this “fire him” stuff. Tbh, the only arc he’s done that could really be called bad for good reason is the T.o.P. With this recent arc, Toyo’s been on the mark. Give the dude a chance. Plus, he’s almost always been after the anime which makes it more difficult for him to impress others.
Definitely not fired. I don't know how to feel about him being AT's successor, but he hasn't ruined anything. I'm sure the lackluster writing for the ToP was due to outside pressures from corporate since it felt more abridged than anything. And I like the Moro arc so far.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:10 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
prince212 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: According to ..., Super storyboarding pre-production started in October. Storyboarding happens after script. I dont see them i dont see them doing 13+ (for October 2019) or 16+ (for Jan 2020) months of pre-production. Thats a little overkill.
Pre-production storyboarding ? What’s that ?

https://comicsverse.com/anime-production/
Pre production. Production for a show before the show has been released or is airing. Storyboarding. You already know what that is.

So storyboarding during pre production means storyboards are being prepare before Super 2.0 has started airing.

Again, the info isn’t 100%
If true , that’s good news . Having a story to tell , give them time to develop. I was exceptical after the brain storm of new ideas that broly movie offers to the franchise.
Also that means no following the manga route, and I rather that , we really only have a chapter and a half of new stuff, and I don’t think is way much planned ahead , so my prediction is different paths for both mediums if the anime is coming back this year for real .
The manga nightmares guys are so funny , just be anime only , that happens in a lots of series , not a big deal
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:48 am

ZombieVito wrote:
zarmack wrote: The way Toyotaro butchered Hit, Goku Black and Merged Zamasu still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Not only them. Goku, Vegeta, Kuririn, Piccolo, etc. All of them are butchered in the manga.
Yeah, i guess stupid child Goku in Super is better. And i love how much better Super treats is Z fighter side characters. Oh wait...

Whether you like it or not, Toyo will Toriyama’s successor. And he’s slowly gaining power...

But thats not what this thread is for. Post your predictions
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:31 am

BWri wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Definitely not fired. I don't know how to feel about him being AT's successor, but he hasn't ruined anything. I'm sure the lackluster writing for the ToP was due to outside pressures from corporate since it felt more abridged than anything. And I like the Moro arc so far.
Sure, he's not great and I'm not happy about this sentiment of him being Toriyama's successor or that he is even remotely close to AT as a mangaka. But at this particular moment, who do they have who is better? They cant fire him, they clearly dont have a replacement or the would have already been replaced or Toriyama would be nominating somebody else.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:15 pm

PFM18 wrote:
BWri wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Lol, people really gotta chill with all this “fire him” stuff. Tbh, the only arc he’s done that could really be called bad for good reason is the T.o.P. With this recent arc, Toyo’s been on the mark. Give the dude a chance. Plus, he’s almost always been after the anime which makes it more difficult for him to impress others.
Sure, he's not great and I'm not happy about this sentiment of him being Toriyama's successor or that he is even remotely close to AT as a mangaka. But at this particular moment, who do they have who is better? They cant fire him, they clearly dont have a replacement or the would have already been replaced or Toriyama would be nominating somebody else.
Lol, thats not it. They could just get Ooishi to do it. There are prob others. Its that they just don’t want to fire Toyo because they don’t find anything wrong with his work. Toriyama has expressed his love for Toyo’s work many times. They just dont want to get rid of him.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:30 pm

PFM18 wrote:
I don’t think that sentiment that makes you unhappy really exist , toriyama is irreplaceable and nobody will be close doing dragon ball . There won’t be any successor never ever .
Toyotaro just works to make the gap smaller , in his own words . He’s doing fine I.m.o , still needs to improve some areas and his actual situation having finally an story to tell unseen on tv should be the inflection point to tell if he’s great or not ...
For now he’s just good .

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:04 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Yeah, i guess stupid child Goku in Super is better. And i love how much better Super treats is Z fighter side characters. Oh wait...

Whether you like it or not, Toyo will Toriyama’s successor. And he’s slowly gaining power...

What the hell are you talking about?

Super anime treated his characters very well. Just look at Piccolo.

In the anime VS Frost he tells Goku to fuck off and tries to beat Frost instead of just trying to waste his stamina like Goku told him. When Goku recruits him for the ToP he's actually excited to join instead of being annoyed and needed to be begged like in the manga. Toyo made Piccolo a bitch.

He just can't get characters right, look at Goku:

Ridiculous that people think this is acceptable and don't get me started on Vegeta.

ironfist2020
Banned

Post by ironfist2020 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:29 pm

this is the first time i want a movie retelling

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:51 pm

ironfist2020 wrote:this is the first time i want a movie retelling
I’d like a extended “origin of the saiyans “
This points will be great :
Grimlock wrote: • Yamoshi stuff
• Saiyans vs Tsufurujins war (with a proper AGE established on-screen).
• "41 years ago" adjusted to "46 years ago" (or to whenever the war mentioned above took place).
• A slightly extended cut to King Cold introducing Freeza.
• An extended cut to King Vegeta seeing Vegeta.
• A brief scene showing King Vegeta sending Tarble to another planet.
• A proper "AGE 739" appearing on-screen instead of just "five years later".
• A scene showing Bardock and Leek killing those creatures.
• A great deal of scenes with Gine.
• A scene showing King Vegeta facing Freeza.
• Scenes showing what happened during the one-month timeskip. Bardock getting his headband.
• A proper Bardock vs Freeza scene. With the former going outer space to confront the latter.
• An extended cut to kid Vegeta, kid Raditz and Nappa.
• A brief scene showing what happened to the other two survivors.
• An extended scene depicting Goku arriving on Earth from the manga Jaco, the Galactic Patrolman.

Bonus: • Bardock being captured/saved by a mysterious thing when caught by Freeza's attack. Just a tease for me... :shifty:

ironfist2020
Banned

Post by ironfist2020 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:25 pm

prince212 wrote:
• "41 years ago" adjusted to "46 years ago" (or to whenever the war mentioned above took place).
• Scenes showing what happened during the one-month timeskip. Bardock getting his headband.
• A proper Bardock vs Freeza scene. With the former going outer space to confront the latter.
• An extended scene depicting Goku arriving on Earth from the manga Jaco, the Galactic Patrolman.

Bonus: • Bardock being captured/saved by a mysterious thing when caught by Freeza's attack. Just a tease for me... :shifty:
Your a big dreamer. Toei and toryama are too lazy and aim for the kids. This is why they give you action over story. They probably think kids wont like the politics of the Saiyan. This should be a different show all together

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:17 pm

ironfist2020 wrote:
Your a big dreamer. Toei and toryama are too lazy and aim for the kids. This is why they give you action over story. They probably think kids wont like the politics of the Saiyan. This should be a different show all together
You’re right :D

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:24 pm

I am very glad to see others wanting the same things as me. :D Thought I was the only one who prefers story over action in this forum.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:07 pm

I once again highlight that smugly remarking about the people that don't value the same things as you in the series as somehow not being interested in "real stories" comes off as incredibly douchey.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:50 pm

ZombieVito wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Yeah, i guess stupid child Goku in Super is better. And i love how much better Super treats is Z fighter side characters. Oh wait...

What the hell are you talking about?

Super anime treated his characters very well. Just look at Piccolo.

In the anime VS Frost he tells Goku to fuck off and tries to beat Frost instead of just trying to waste his stamina like Goku told him. When Goku recruits him for the ToP he's actually excited to join instead of being annoyed and needed to be begged like in the manga. Toyo made Piccolo a bitch.

He just can't get characters right, look at Goku:

Ridiculous that people think this is acceptable and don't get me started on Vegeta.
You act as if Toriyama hasn’t contradicted Goku’s character many times too. And Toyo Goku is right. As DB went on, it was obvious that powerful is most important for winning a fight with skill and strategy only taking you so far.

If you can move at the speed of light and fight against a normal human who has strategy, the normal human loses easily. But again, post a prediction.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm

prince212 wrote:

Pretty sure most would want that but i doubt thats what Toriyama wrote about. Yamoshi (as of now), Tuffle shit, and stuff with King Vegeta, Bardock, and other saiyans have nothing to do with the main plo of the movie. Its all about Goku’s fate, Vegeta’s fate, and Broly’s fate. It doesn’t make sense that they would focus on Yamoshi, tuffles, etc when it ends up having no relation to the present and the end of the story.
Grimlock wrote:I am very glad to see others wanting the same things as me. :D Thought I was the only one who prefers story over action in this forum.
You can’t be serious with this comment. Its like you’re new to this forum. MOST people in this forum prefer story and lore over action. Action is that much better when the context or reason for the fight is better. Of course people (or most) want Yamoshi and lore. Its just that that clearly wasn’t Toriyama’s plan this time. Not to mention what he recently said about Dragon Ball is his latest quote. That its “nothing but fighting”. Not to mention Toei and Shueisha have labeled the West as people who only care about fights.

But yeah, basically what this guy said:
Shaddy wrote:I once again highlight that smugly remarking about the people that don't value the same things as you in the series as somehow not being interested in "real stories" comes off as incredibly douchey.
But while you’re here, post a prediction.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:21 pm

My point was more that shoving all this extra "lore" junk into the movie (which isn't inherently better, given that Yamoshi is an absolute non-character and the tsufrujins are bland as hell) does not make it more or less of a story, and to imply it does is an insult both to what is there and the people who enjoy it (along with a heaping of irony given his idea of a "story" is the borderline nonexistent narrative of Heroes). The fact that so much of it is based around correcting functionally headcanon timeline nonsense and fanservice for bringing dumb video game shit into the story is proof that the priority is anywhere but actual narrative improvement. Of course, I think he has me blocked so he's not gonna approach me directly.

And fine, if I have to make a prediction, I'll say I'm not 100% certain Shintani will personally return, I think it's possible that his style is being standardized but the role of character designer could go to someone like Shintani, given that he's normally a movie-only guy. Though, Dragon Ball is a big enough property it may be considered pretty high-end work regardless.

It's not so much a prediction, but I kinda think it'd be nice to get leitmotifs back in the series. You know, having character themes like Goku and Piccolo did back in the original shows. They always bring a nice flair to important character moments, and can even interact with the narrative itself when they're shared by characters, or played at times when they're related but not necessarily the focus, like that Undertale game all the kiddos like so much. I dunno if Sumitomo is one for that kind of design though, maybe it'd be good to have two composers, one for character-specific stuff, and Sumitomo for the big dramatic atmosphere pieces.

Actually, for some reason I kind of want to hear Tomoya Ohtani on Dragon Ball, even though his style of Sonic music doesn't fit Dragon Ball or half the Sonic games it's in. Maybe it's just my adoration of Lost World's soundtrack bleeding into wanting that for everything else ever made.