"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Sani007 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:47 pm

If you want, believe that is developing, just don't say it's a fact because it's not.
The fact is that there is no timeslot and we have a statement from Toei.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:06 pm

This continuation topic was absolutely premature indeed.

Right now everything except some third-party announcement (which was countered by Toei itself) points to DBS 2.0 not being in production or back anytime soon.

And right now there is not much to suggest that Toriyama's next work will involve the anime either.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:15 pm

louisascommie wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:00 pm https://mobile.twitter.com/YonkouProd/ ... 466527745
GeGeGe no Kitaro Second Season confirmed to broadcast from April 7th.
deep, prolonged sigh.
superfan2024 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:06 pm At this point, Super will be returning in July.
I...don't follow your logic here. The first season lasted a full year, why would the second be done by July?
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:39 pm

By July it is possible that GeGeGe no Kitarou (2018) could be moved to the 8:30AM slot so that Dragon Ball Super can resume in the 9AM slot. That being said, we already know for sure that episodes are in production so the longer the production lasts the better.

I do have a crack theory, though. Since the US is getting the Blu-ray for Movie #20 so far ahead of the Japanese release it could be that Toei Animation is next planning on releasing the new series in the United States first, too. After all, nobody ever planned for Dragon Ball Kai: The Final Chapters to air anywhere in Japan and yet it did. Giving an early cut of the new series to the international market and then preparing a more polished cut for the Japanese broadcast is hardly impossible.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:44 pm

I don't really watch the dub anymore so for me that'd be super annoying if dub eps of Super 2.0 appear before subbed ones do. That's early 2000's in a bad way. No, I don't miss delayed access to the Japanese audio.

If they post both Japanese and English audio track options that's a different story though.
Last edited by Chuquita on Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Derf

Post by Derf » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:49 pm

The way I look at it is, we know for close to a fact that new Dragon Ball episodes are in production. A credible news organization reported on it, before Toei's weak attempt at damage control. Toei staff have revealed to credible individuals that work on new episodes are underway. They're coming.

Whether they come in April, or July, or 2020, all we have to do is relax and look forward to the reveal.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:49 pm

Chuquita wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:44 pm I don't really watch the dub anymore so for me that'd be super annoying if dub eps of Super 2.0 appear before subbed ones do. That's early 2000's in a bad way. No I don't miss delayed access to the Japanese audio.

If they post both Japanese and English audio track options that's a different story though.
I would imagine that Crunchyroll would still simulcast the Japanese version, much like they do with many shows FUNi does simuldubs for.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:53 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:49 pm
Chuquita wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:44 pm I don't really watch the dub anymore so for me that'd be super annoying if dub eps of Super 2.0 appear before subbed ones do. That's early 2000's in a bad way. No I don't miss delayed access to the Japanese audio.

I would imagine that Crunchyroll would still simulcast the Japanese version, much like they do with many shows FUNi does simuldubs for.
That'd be fine then.

I still have the whole "the U.K. got both dub and sub Brolli movie showings, but the U.S. only got dub showings" thing on my mind.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:41 am

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:39 pm By July it is possible that GeGeGe no Kitarou (2018) could be moved to the 8:30AM slot so that Dragon Ball Super can resume in the 9AM slot. That being said, we already know for sure that episodes are in production so the longer the production lasts the better.

I do have a crack theory, though. Since the US is getting the Blu-ray for Movie #20 so far ahead of the Japanese release it could be that Toei Animation is next planning on releasing the new series in the United States first, too. After all, nobody ever planned for Dragon Ball Kai: The Final Chapters to air anywhere in Japan and yet it did. Giving an early cut of the new series to the international market and then preparing a more polished cut for the Japanese broadcast is hardly impossible.
How could US get the show before Japan if they are still at like episode 100 of Super?
If anything, if Toei wants the international markets to be up to par with them they will have to wait until like October so that the new show can be released simultaneously in more markets.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:14 am

I heard GeGe got renewed for a second season. Since the timeslot and Nozawa will be busy for another year doesn't this mean Super isn't coming back? At least until 2020? At this point Toei is actively making it seem like the so-called "credible news organization" did indeed make a mistake. Literally anytime something regarding the anime comes up credible sources scramble and get our hopes up only to get completely humiliated.I'm not angry, well I am...but I'm more disappointed. I expected better.

Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:29 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:14 am I heard GeGe got renewed for a second season. Since the timeslot and Nozawa will be busy for another year doesn't this mean Super isn't coming back? At least until 2020? At this point Toei is actively making it seem like the so-called "credible news organization" did indeed make a mistake. Literally anytime something regarding the anime comes up credible sources scramble and get our hopes up only to get completely humiliated.I'm not angry, well I am...but I'm more disappointed. I expected better.

Yeah, it's also turning out that a certain YouTuber's "sources" *cough* *cough* were also wrong and heads'll flip for it.
Feels over Reals.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:43 am

emperior wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:41 am
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:39 pm By July it is possible that GeGeGe no Kitarou (2018) could be moved to the 8:30AM slot so that Dragon Ball Super can resume in the 9AM slot. That being said, we already know for sure that episodes are in production so the longer the production lasts the better.

How could US get the show before Japan if they are still at like episode 100 of Super?
If anything, if Toei wants the international markets to be up to par with them they will have to wait until like October so that the new show can be released simultaneously in more markets.
Speeding through episodes is a thing. It could also be that other international broadcasters air the episodes first.

Or the series just airs in Japan in July.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:43 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:14 am I heard GeGe got renewed for a second season. Since the timeslot and Nozawa will be busy for another year doesn't this mean Super isn't coming back? At least until 2020? At this point Toei is actively making it seem like the so-called "credible news organization" did indeed make a mistake. Literally anytime something regarding the anime comes up credible sources scramble and get our hopes up only to get completely humiliated.I'm not angry, well I am...but I'm more disappointed. I expected better.
Nozawa only has a minor role she isn't playing the MC. And we knew DBS wasn't coming back in April so this literally changes nothing and timeslot shifts do happen.

louisascommie
Beyond Newbie

Post by louisascommie » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:49 pm

Would they ever pull a space dandy and have the Japanese original and english dub in America have episodes premier the same weekend.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:13 pm

I feel like they've had enough lead time where they could simulcast both sub and dub if they wanted. We're coming up on a year since Super's been over.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:30 pm

RedHeat wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:29 am

Yeah, it's also turning out that a certain YouTuber's "sources" *cough* *cough* were also wrong and heads'll flip for it.
I’d assume you’re referencing either Ajay or Geekdom since those are the only 2 that actually have connections and can give the most accurate info on stuff like this. Anyway, I dont think GeGeGe getting a 2nd Season really damages the chances of DBS 2 coming back this year.

I’d say wait until July is over for you to start calling BS to which ever one of those 2 youtubers and their sources you’re referencing. Specifically after SDCC.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:23 am

AnimeNation101 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:30 pmI’d assume you’re referencing either Ajay or Geekdom since those are the only 2 that actually have connections and can give the most accurate info on stuff like this. Anyway, I dont think GeGeGe getting a 2nd Season really damages the chances of DBS 2 coming back this year.

I’d say wait until July is over for you to start calling BS to which ever one of those 2 youtubers and their sources you’re referencing. Specifically after SDCC.
I do think Geekdom101 and AnimeAjay are reliable based on what they've revealed in the past but maybe their some of their sources aren't? There are a few details that won't add up to me. If they have a source that knew the anime was in preproduction since last year and returning, shouldn't that source know that there wasn't going to be an announcement at Jump Festa, the Broly screening in January, and that Kitaro was going to be renewed? If this source works close enough to Toei to know the anime is supposedly returning, shouldn't they at least have some idea when?

Another question I have whenever I hear someone having an insider leaking information to them is what exactly does this insider gain? The Youtubers get views and recognition but the sources are risking their jobs and revealing information for nothing in return (unless they're getting paid?). It could be that the Youtubers are friends with them or that these sources are purposely leaking false information to discredit those Youtubers. I don't doubt that DBS will continue (although I'm hoping they stick with films) but so far we don't have concrete evidence and it's mostly leaks from sources that can't be verified.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:58 am

Skar wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:23 am
AnimeNation101 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:30 pmI’d assume you’re referencing either Ajay or Geekdom since those are the only 2 that actually have connections and can give the most accurate info on stuff like this. Anyway, I dont think GeGeGe getting a 2nd Season really damages the chances of DBS 2 coming back this year.

I do think Geekdom101 and AnimeAjay are reliable based on what they've revealed in the past but maybe their some of their sources aren't? There are a few details that won't add up to me. If they have a source that knew the anime was in preproduction since last year and returning, shouldn't that source know that there wasn't going to be an announcement at Jump Festa, the Broly screening in January, and that Kitaro was going to be renewed? If this source works close enough to Toei to know the anime is supposedly returning, shouldn't they at least have some idea when?

Another question I have whenever I hear someone having an insider leaking information to them is what exactly does this insider gain? The Youtubers get views and recognition but the sources are risking their jobs and revealing information for nothing in return (unless they're getting paid?). It could be that the Youtubers are friends with them or that these sources are purposely leaking false information to discredit those Youtubers. I don't doubt that DBS will continue (although I'm hoping they stick with films) but so far we don't have concrete evidence and it's mostly leaks from sources that can't be verified.
Their sources most likely only knew what they told, or couldn’t tell more accurate stuff because that way they would risk getting identified. I doubt these insiders care about ruining a YouTuber’s reputation and I’m sure that people like Ajay and Geekdom wouldn’t post about insider info if they weren’t sure of their legitimacy.
The reason why these people leak their information is most likely because of friendship/trust and because they can tell this stuff without risking their jobs as they know many other people have the same information.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:30 am

emperior wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:58 amTheir sources most likely only knew what they told, or couldn’t tell more accurate stuff because that way they would risk getting identified. I doubt these insiders care about ruining a YouTuber’s reputation and I’m sure that people like Ajay and Geekdom wouldn’t post about insider info if they weren’t sure of their legitimacy.
The reason why these people leak their information is most likely because of friendship/trust and because they can tell this stuff without risking their jobs as they know many other people have the same information.
I don't feel this answers those questions. My comment was speculation so more speculation basically takes us back to square one with as little information as we had in the beginning. Ajay and Geekdom are only passing on information so I don't think they would know the accuracy of those supposed leaks until it's official released. I'm not sure how close someone has to be to Toei to know that the anime is in pre-production at that specific date but I just it odd that is the only piece of information they shared.

Anyone could predict it returns in April or July since that's the start of a new cour and just claim they have a source that its been in production for a few months to make their prediction seem more than pure speculation. I'm not saying this is the case but it would help if we had more evidence to go on.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:38 am

It is entirely possible that last-minute changes were made. God knows that it was entirely last minute to make Dragon Ball Super, after all. This upcoming series could easily, easily have had its promotional strategy changed in the wake of the popularity of Movie #20.
She/Her
bisexual milf