"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Spencer_23
Not-So-Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Spencer_23 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:11 pm

Can we PLEASE get to end of Z and continue from there

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:22 pm

:D :D :D :D
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:25 pm

I really hope we see Planet Sadala and Evildoer Arc, U6 and U11 need to return.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:26 pm

Geekdom101 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:22 pm :D :D :D :D
Hope you're doing well, Danny. Thanks for not being like the people i mentioned in my other post. Keep doing you.

The excitement train of information is just getting started, you're going to be busy as we get closer to it! :wink:

ShaggyBlanco
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaggyBlanco » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:30 pm

perucho1990 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:25 pm I really hope we see Planet Sadala and Evildoer Arc, U6 and U11 need to return.
If not the EvilDoer I'd just like to see Jiren trying to bond with everyone to get more "trust power"

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:36 pm

I'd take an adaption of the Broly movie with an episode 5 art direction if it means they won't be adapting the manga. The manga is good and all but taking one canon and erasing the other is almost a deal breaker. I would say the same thing if the manga was in the anime's position.

I'm still a little skeptical about trusting Geekdom and Ajay. They've been wrong many times in the past. Only July will tell though.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:39 pm

Ajay wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:42 pm If you're cautious about the source: this all came directly from staff within Toei this time. Obviously won't name names for the sake of their job security, but both July and Shintani were independently mentioned by multiple animators.
Not even sure if you know or if you're allowed to tell us but is it still called Dragon Ball Super?

ShaggyBlanco
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaggyBlanco » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:40 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:36 pm I'm still a little skeptical about trusting Geekdom and Ajay. They've been wrong many times in the past. Only July will tell though.
I don't think we need to wait this long, if they don't announce anything soon tm then it's probably false

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:43 pm

Geekdom101 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:22 pm :D :D :D :D
Was Watching your video just now and I am hoping you got good info as was, I trust you do the best you can so I am hoping for the best for your rep and the return of Super as well, Thanks for putting it out their. :thumbup:

As for the Show it sounds like they are cleaning up house to fix the animation problems so they don’t make the same mistakes again like with the start of the original Super.

This IMO has to Even Greatly Followed by cleaning up and improving their writing team which will be most key in making the series work. They need a coherent story that flows well and avoids the hiccups that where greatly seen in the ToP arc that frustrated many and fans of various characters and concepts.

Important to is that I hope the Broly Movie IS canon and we don’t have to have a re-anime of it. It was Excellent storywise and does not need a re-telling, especially the character and world building wise, lets keep that canon and it would make the movie Have even greater importance in watching.

Mostly for me and I am sure many other fans is will the Multiverse be used to great importance in the going forward story. This especially with characters from Universes 6, 11, 2 and others that matter most to me and I am certain other fans as well.

I don’t expect anything right off the bat for abit but down the line that IMO I will be hoping they get development and greater use.

Just some of my thoughts in what I hope for a Super 2.0, Nice talking to you Geekdom. 8)
Last edited by CJStriker_CBR on Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:43 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:11 pm According to Geekdom101 and YonkouProductions, Super is returning in July this year, and will feature the return of Shintani as the series' character designer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyb24KlszU4

https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/1 ... 2043043840
A dream come true!!!!

Now I just hope we get a retelling of Broly

I hear talk of the anime "following the manga", which to me means that it would become an adaptation of the manga. And that is absolutely terrifying.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:50 pm

I already guessed, after it was clear the show wasn’t coming back in April, that it would have been back in July.
I’m actually very happy that they are taking their time with the production this time around: this will surely be the best Dragon Ball show ever strictly talking about its visuals and animation, and I can’t wait to see how weekly Dragon Ball will be under Shintani’s designs.

As for the story, it seems like this may be skipping Broly, which I am happy with, even though we will be missing on 70 minutes of cut content. Yet another retelling, with the possibility of it being yet again inferior to the movie, would be devastating for fans and for the show’s reputation right off the bat.
Starting with new material makes sure this will be loved and followed with anticipation by every fan, even the ones who will have already read Toyotaro’s manga, if Super will be beginning from the Galactic Prisoner arc.
If that’s the case, it may mean that Toyotaro has been promoted to being co-writer of the story alongside Toriyama.
I don’t know how to feel about this: only time will tell, but for sure having someone so obsessed with Dragon Ball to write main stories should at least ensure that coherent stories get told, with Toriyama as the author being the one able to write the most meaningful changes and interactions that truly affect the story (like Freeza’s wish in Broly, which is something I doubt anyone but the author would have ever written).
Ever since Toyotaro came up with some designs for the Gods of Destruction and collaborated with Toriyama for others, many of us were predicting him gaining a more prominent roles in Dragon Ball Super and I’m happy for him.
Hopefully he will be able to come up with some great stories we can all enjoy, and I hope that if things stay like this in the future, that the manga and the anime will finally be closer one to the other so that Super can have a better defined “canon”.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:52 pm

Geekdom in his video wrote: That they're doing the moro arc or it could mean the story following the moro arc
So is them adapting the manga starting from the Universe 6 arc out of the question? I've been hearing rumors.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:56 pm

DainIronfoot wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:16 pm Nope, instead you have people mocking the so called "Yam Squad" and belittling them by calling them "cute", while proceeding to be a bully.
You can say my name, it's okay. I think you're lacking a greater context about what you're referring to is all about, though. The "Yam Squad" are a small group of toxic individuals who have harassed me endlessly over my general animation views for years, coining the term AIDSjay, and much, much worse. I have them all blocked, but they like to keep tabs on me, and continue to check in on me, screenshotting my tweets, and mocking me. It's got nothing to do with the fact they have a different opinion to me - contrary to popular belief, I don't particularly care much on that front - but it's an easy thing to pick at when I'm in a shitty mood and sink to their level to reply. Just wanted to clear that little bit up.

I won't address the rest of the post since I largely agree, and don't find personal attacks about Yamamuro's appearance very funny at all. Silly little photoshops and skits here and there, sure, but never make it personal like the examples you mentioned. I remember an old twitter account called "YamamuroHater" that was just full of absolutely disgusting material that I very often publicly spoke out against. I'm certainly not innocent, and have crossed the line here and there, but please don't lump me in those types of people.

I might not like the man's work, and have been vocal about that for quite some time, but I have nothing but respect for him and almost everyone in the field. It's not an easy job, and there's absolutely no way I could do it.

We have Shintani now. This whole exaggerated meme can be put to bed soon enough, I'm sure.

And hey, I don't want this thread to get dragged off-topic, so if you do want to discuss this further or bring up other issues you may have with me, feel free to DM! 100% open to criticism.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:06 pm

emperior wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:50 pm I already guessed, after it was clear the show wasn’t coming back in April, that it would have been back in July.
I’m actually very happy that they are taking their time with the production this time around: this will surely be the best Dragon Ball show ever strictly talking about its visuals and animation, and I can’t wait to see how weekly Dragon Ball will be under Shintani’s designs.

As for the story, it seems like this may be skipping Broly, which I am happy with, even though we will be missing on 70 minutes of cut content. Yet another retelling, with the possibility of it being yet again inferior to the movie, would be devastating for fans and for the show’s reputation right off the bat.
Starting with new material makes sure this will be loved and followed with anticipation by every fan, even the ones who will have already read Toyotaro’s manga, if Super will be beginning from the Galactic Prisoner arc.
If that’s the case, it may mean that Toyotaro has been promoted to being co-writer of the story alongside Toriyama.
I don’t know how to feel about this: only time will tell, but for sure having someone so obsessed with Dragon Ball to write main stories should at least ensure that coherent stories get told, with Toriyama as the author being the one able to write the most meaningful changes and interactions that truly affect the story (like Freeza’s wish in Broly, which is something I doubt anyone but the author would have ever written).
Ever since Toyotaro came up with some designs for the Gods of Destruction and collaborated with Toriyama for others, many of us were predicting him gaining a more prominent roles in Dragon Ball Super and I’m happy for him.
Hopefully he will be able to come up with some great stories we can all enjoy, and I hope that if things stay like this in the future, that the manga and the anime will finally be closer one to the other so that Super can have a better defined “canon”.
Toyo can barely tell a coherent story in his own manga. Just looked at his version of the TOP, despite Toriyama looking over it.

The anime and the manga don't need to be closer together.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:15 pm

I hope the first info we get will contain some spoilers for new characters.

I still remember being surprised by Fat Beerus & Female Whis back when the first DBS poster appeared :lol:
I felt like they ran out of ideas at first, but as more episodes passed I started liking both of them.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:17 pm

What I really hope the "following the manga" statement means is that it will either pick up after the Moro arc, or that it will adapt the Moro arc from Toriyama's notes separately, the same way as every other arc. Even though I think the manga is bad in general, the big problem with trying to exclusively adapt it would be the absolute assassination of pacing. The manga's content is released at about half to 65% pace nowadays as Toriyama's was back in the 80s and 90s. But Dragon Ball's anime never moved quickly. It always had filler, and it could always drag stuff out. I honestly can't even fucking tolerate most of Z, hell even some parts of Kai, with how slow it could get from trying to adapt 1 chapter a week as it was being released in WSJ. To slow that even further and follow a monthly manga that was not even in that current saga when pre-production on the show started and indeed is barely getting into it now, especially with said arc being somewhat boring and slow on it's own, is un-fucking-real to me. Toyotaro could be the best mangaka ever and it wouldn't be salvageable.

Thankfully I really doubt that's what's going on. There was never any monetary or management-based reason to change to that format, and I feel like Toei now is more conscious of at least making something happen most of the time that I'm confident it's not actually going to try and do that. And again, when the anime was stated to enter the planning phase in potentially late September, they couldn't have been deciding to follow Toyotaro then, so they must have either come up with an original story, or had Toriyama's notes for the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc themselves.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:28 pm

According to me, Super is returning next week with 10 new movies being announced. I am not lying. I have no single source but It's true!

Here we go again...
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:35 pm

Yeesh. Edgy and condescending much? April and/or July have been the discussed return dates for months, with at least five or six people directly involved with the show giving information like this out. Do you want them to identify themselves and lose their jobs or be demoted for it?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:37 pm

All I needed to know to get me truly excited for Super (2.0) is Shintani being the character designer.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:39 pm

Shaddy wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:17 pm What I really hope the "following the manga" statement means is that it will either pick up after the Moro arc, or that it will adapt the Moro arc from Toriyama's notes separately, the same way as every other arc. Even though I think the manga is bad in general, the big problem with trying to exclusively adapt it would be the absolute assassination of pacing. The manga's content is released at about half to 65% pace nowadays as Toriyama's was back in the 80s and 90s. But Dragon Ball's anime never moved quickly. It always had filler, and it could always drag stuff out. I honestly can't even fucking tolerate most of Z, hell even some parts of Kai, with how slow it could get from trying to adapt 1 chapter a week as it was being released in WSJ. To slow that even further and follow a monthly manga that was not even in that current saga when pre-production on the show started and indeed is barely getting into it now, especially with said arc being somewhat boring and slow on it's own, is un-fucking-real to me. Toyotaro could be the best mangaka ever and it wouldn't be salvageable.

Thankfully I really doubt that's what's going on. There was never any monetary or management-based reason to change to that format, and I feel like Toei now is more conscious of at least making something happen most of the time that I'm confident it's not actually going to try and do that. And again, when the anime was stated to enter the planning phase in potentially late September, they couldn't have been deciding to follow Toyotaro then, so they must have either come up with an original story, or had Toriyama's notes for the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc themselves.
There’s no way they will adapt the manga. They will, at most, use some of its panels from the first chapters of the arc as they did when the manga was ahead during the U6 arc.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical