"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:36 am

Michsi wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:30 am
HeroR wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:02 am
And Shueisha have shown that they don't care if the anime and manga are different. If they did, the manga and anime would have been more united years ago. That and on a whole, Shueisha only really seems to care about the anime given how almost nothing from the manga is used outside of small nod like skirtless Hit, Super Saiyan God Vegeta (although that only became mainstream when Broly did it), and the Gamma Flash. Other than that, none of Toyo's extend Blue forms ever got marketing, every version of Black is based on his anime counterpart, the same with Merged Zamasu, and Jiren.

So far, Toyo hasn't decided the direction of anything. He just made a few designs. And there is nothing wrong with Toyo doing his own thing, especially when Toriyama told him years ago to be more creative. The anime also did its own thing with its breather episodes and stuff like Copy Vegeta, which Toyo completely ignored.

Yes, and that can change. It all started with "oh Toyotaro is just the artist" to "oh hey, he is coming up with ideas and Toriyama is using them" to "hey, he is designing characters now ". He is been called Toriyama's successor a few times, that already puts him above the position of a mere artist that only draws what he is being told.
Allowing the anime staff the freedom to change stuff is one thing- as I have already mentioned- but an entire arc appearing in the manga and getting completely ignored by the anime is unprecedented and, considering previous experience, highly unlikely.
And yes, DB is one of Shueisha's biggest properties, so I'd never say they don't care what is being done with their titles. I go back to the FighterZ example- things point to them being very careful about this.
Can, but so far nothing. We keep seeing this narrative about Toyo taking more control for years and it hasn't happened yet and in fact, the Dragon Room is the one who seems to be getting more control overall. And so far, the only idea we have seen that Toriyama have used is bringing Super Saiyan God back.

It isn't when it it isn't from Toriyama. Just like the manga didn't adapt any of the anime's breather episodes. This isn't the days of Dragon Ball where the manga was the main source with the anime being the adaptation.

My point about Shueisha is that they don't really care about the manga all that much since they don't really used anything from the manga. Almost everyone came from the anime.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:56 am

HeroR wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:36 am
HeroR wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:02 am
And Shueisha have shown that they don't care if the anime and manga are different. If they did, the manga and anime would have been more united years ago. That and on a whole, Shueisha only really seems to care about the anime given how almost nothing from the manga is used outside of small nod like skirtless Hit, Super Saiyan God Vegeta (although that only became mainstream when Broly did it), and the Gamma Flash. Other than that, none of Toyo's extend Blue forms ever got marketing, every version of Black is based on his anime counterpart, the same with Merged Zamasu, and Jiren.

So far, Toyo hasn't decided the direction of anything. He just made a few designs. And there is nothing wrong with Toyo doing his own thing, especially when Toriyama told him years ago to be more creative. The anime also did its own thing with its breather episodes and stuff like Copy Vegeta, which Toyo completely ignored.

Yes, and that can change. It all started with "oh Toyotaro is just the artist" to "oh hey, he is coming up with ideas and Toriyama is using them" to "hey, he is designing characters now ". He is been called Toriyama's successor a few times, that already puts him above the position of a mere artist that only draws what he is being told.
Allowing the anime staff the freedom to change stuff is one thing- as I have already mentioned- but an entire arc appearing in the manga and getting completely ignored by the anime is unprecedented and, considering previous experience, highly unlikely.
And yes, DB is one of Shueisha's biggest properties, so I'd never say they don't care what is being done with their titles. I go back to the FighterZ example- things point to them being very careful about this.
Can, but so far nothing. We keep seeing this narrative about Toyo taking more control for years and it hasn't happened yet and in fact, the Dragon Room is the one who seems to be getting more control overall. And so far, the only idea we have seen that Toriyama have used is bringing Super Saiyan God back.

It isn't when it it isn't from Toriyama. Just like the manga didn't adapt any of the anime's breather episodes. This isn't the days of Dragon Ball where the manga was the main source with the anime being the adaptation.

My point about Shueisha is that they don't really care about the manga all that much since they don't really used anything from the manga. Almost everyone came from the anime.
The narrative at the start was that Toyotaro is just the artist and that aspect has already changed. I'm talking about this changing further.
And I agree that it's the anime that is the main source of attraction this time around, and that it's the manga that has to more or less learn to dance to the anime's tune- so even if it was Toyotaro's idea it would have to be passed over for inspection and only after all parties involved accepted it (and maybe changed stuff) was he given the go ahead.
And since I edited my last post after you started replying to me, I repeat what I wrote there: Moro strikes me as something I would've once considered an anime only villain (like what we got from the Z movies) so given that he is so similar to something I could see the anime writers coming up as well, it would be odd to see them skip it.
If Dragon Ball room is indeed the control tower then all the more reason to assume they want to keep the manga and anime on the same narrative plane. Who knows, just because Moro doesn't seem like a Toriyama idea doesn't necessarily mean Toyotaro's solely responsible for the concept.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:25 am

Michsi wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:56 am
HeroR wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:36 am

The narrative at the start was that Toyotaro is just the artist and that aspect has already changed. I'm talking about this changing further.
And I agree that it's the anime that is the main source of attraction this time around, and that it's the manga that has to more or less learn to dance to the anime's tune- so even if it was Toyotaro's idea it would have to be passed over for inspection and only after all parties involved accepted it (and maybe changed stuff) was he given the go ahead.
And since I edited my last post after you started replying to me, I repeat what I wrote there: Moro strikes me as something I would've once considered an anime only villain (like what we got from the Z movies) so given that he is so similar to something I could see the anime writers coming up as well, it would be odd to see them skip it.
If Dragon Ball room is indeed the control tower then all the more reason to assume they want to keep the manga and anime on the same narrative plane. Who knows, just because Moro doesn't seem like a Toriyama idea doesn't necessarily mean Toyotaro's solely responsible for the concept.
Toyo was more than an artist when he made the manga since you could see him doing his own thing back in his retelling of Battle of Gods and he just diverged more.

Moro really doesn't match Toei's current style of Dragon Ball villains. Maybe back in Z with stuff like Bojack, but most Toei's villain are closer to GT.

I don't think the Dragon Room cares. In fact, it seems only fans care about the anime and manga being on the same plain. I mean, they certainly didn't care when Toyo changed how and the order that U7 went out, despite the claim that the fates of each of the Z-Fighters and the order they went out was decided by Toriyama.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:52 am

I would expect the anime to tell the Galactic Prisoner Arc mostly because it’s yet another arc of Dragon Ball, so it wouldn’t be the wisest choice to skip it because animating it would surely increase the longevity of Super, and we all know that they are milking the series and this time gap as much as they can.

Of course they could always adapt the arc with a Movie/TV Special once it’s over, but I am more inclined to believe that they are already animating it right now, with the writers and storyboarders taking some inspiration from Toyotaro, who may have written the arc all by himself with the supervision of the Dragon Room and with Toriyama having the final word on everything. If this is the case, then it’s possible that they decided to have someone else other than Toriyama writing a main arc so that Toriyama can focus on writing a more detailed plot for his next one.

I wouldn’t mind it if in the future they continue with this setup of having one Toriyama arc followed by one Toei/DB Room/Toyotaro, with Toriyama just approving the stuff not written by him and giving some ideas or basic premise, which is basically what he was doing with his barebones outlines in Super which is why the anime and manga both had lots of differences in what were the same stories.

I also can’t see the current manga arc ending without Goku and Vegeta and company leaving the arc unchanged, both character-wise and strength-wise.
Although I wouldn’t care if Toyotaro’s manga became a “filler” (still canonical) telling some relatively unimportant stories in the grand scheme of things, with the anime adapting more detailed stories by Toriyama, which would be in turn canonical to the manga.
It would be weird, but this way we would actually get more stories and a more defined “canon”, with the possibility of the anime faithfully adapting Toyotaro’s stories in the future, either through movies, TV specials or TV show arcs.

But, I repeat, I actually expect the anime in July to start from the Galactic Prisoner arc and eventually tell its own version of it while still following the main points set by whoever wrote the arc, similarly to what happened with the Champa Tournament (although in a more minor way), Future Trunks arc and the Universal Survival arc.

(Also keep in mind that it seems like the leaks of Toei “following the manga” were referring to the show’s look, and not its story.)
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:33 am

Shaddy wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:35 pm Yeesh. Edgy and condescending much? April and/or July have been the discussed return dates for months, with at least five or six people directly involved with the show giving information like this out. Do you want them to identify themselves and lose their jobs or be demoted for it?
Yes, of course. What are they doing, leaking it in the first place?

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:08 am

dbgtFO wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:33 am
Shaddy wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:35 pm Yeesh. Edgy and condescending much? April and/or July have been the discussed return dates for months, with at least five or six people directly involved with the show giving information like this out. Do you want them to identify themselves and lose their jobs or be demoted for it?
Let's hope it won't come to that.
"Leaks" have started to be used in marketing strategies (see: Marvel), which means that often they control what is being leaked, how much, and to who .The ensuing hubbub is just free advertising for them. However, I doubt this practice has caught on in the anime industry.
Again, I just hope this won't lead to them taking precautionary measures and seeking to block staff members from talking to fans.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:17 am

Michsi wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:08 am Let's hope it won't come to that.
"Leaks" have started to be used in marketing strategies (see: Marvel), which means that often they control what is being leaked, how much, and to who .The ensuing hubbub is just free advertising for them. However, I doubt this practice has caught on in the anime industry.
Again, I just hope this won't lead to them taking precautionary measures and seeking to block staff members from talking to fans.
That's a scenario I find likely. That their official policy is not to encourage leakers, but on the down low actually being more than ok with it. I can imagine it will only serve to drive up interest and hype in the franchise, so fans are more motivated to buy new merch and bring new fans in.

Yedis
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yedis » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:08 am

Will they really skip the Moro arc or is it something some fans are hoping to happen because they personally don't like Toyotaro?

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:46 am

Yedis wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:08 am Will they really skip the Moro arc or is it something some fans are hoping to happen because they personally don't like Toyotaro?
There's no information about the plot or anything related to the story for now. It's just fans speculating.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:56 am

I don't dislike the Moro arc. The concept sounds fun, but the character chosen along with his design, personality, and the powers he's used so far hasn't felt exciting. Cell looks like a bug man the way Moro looks like a goat man, but Cell's so much more stylish looking. Cell uses powers we've seen before, but there's plot reasons why. So far Moro doesn't have that.

Though I wouldn't be too surprised if Moro turns out to be a Toriyama design because Toriyama designed Jiren. In that case I'd chock it up to modern Toriyama and age.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:20 pm

emperior wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:52 am (Also keep in mind that it seems like the leaks of Toei “following the manga” were referring to the show’s look, and not its story.)
What do you mean “its look”?
Michsi wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:08 am [quote=dbgtFO post_id=<a href="tel:1588883">1588883</a> time=<a href="tel:1552995190">1552995190</a> user_id=7088]
[quote=Shaddy post_id=<a href="tel:1588498">1588498</a> time=<a href="tel:1552858541">1552858541</a> user_id=116844]
Yeesh. Edgy and condescending much? April and/or July have been the discussed return dates for months, with at least five or six people directly involved with the show giving information like this out. Do you want them to identify themselves and lose their jobs or be demoted for it?
[/quote]

Let's hope it won't come to that.
[/quote]
The people inside that gave Ajay and Geekdom the information know how big they are and usually tell them what info they can and cant reveal. Thats how it works.

The leakers knew what they were signing up for. And you just want them to lose their jobs? They’re doing US FANS a favor. Both Geekdom and Ajay AND the leakers/sources. I feel like people are making too big a deal outta of it. What you should be taking away is that we have confirmation that DBS 2.0 is happening with legit sources. I just dont understand the complaining.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:55 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:20 pm
emperior wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:52 am (Also keep in mind that it seems like the leaks of Toei “following the manga” were referring to the show’s look, and not its story.)
I mean that they want it to look as close as possible to Toriyama’s manga. It’s already a thing with DBS:Broly using very similar colors to the Full Color edition of the manga and Shintani heavily referencing it for his sheets.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:00 pm

however the Broly Movie began to develop long before the manga even start TOP arc.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:49 pm

emperior wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:55 pm
AnimeNation101 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:20 pm
I mean that they want it to look as close as possible to Toriyama’s manga. It’s already a thing with DBS:Broly using very similar colors to the Full Color edition of the manga and Shintani heavily referencing it for his sheets.
Yonkou in the discord flat out said it would “adapt the manga.” So that does really work with your theory especially with how he uses the word “adapt”.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:16 pm

That'd just be his interpretation, though.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:48 am

AnimeNation101 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:20 pm The people inside that gave Ajay and Geekdom the information know how big they are and usually tell them what info they can and cant reveal. Thats how it works.

The leakers knew what they were signing up for. And you just want them to lose their jobs? They’re doing US FANS a favor. Both Geekdom and Ajay AND the leakers/sources. I feel like people are making too big a deal outta of it. What you should be taking away is that we have confirmation that DBS 2.0 is happening with legit sources. I just dont understand the complaining.
If it isn't low-key encouraged by Toei to leak certain information in order to hype the fandom up, then yeah they should be sacked.
It probably is though, so I'm sure Toei are happy about it, while they of course have to act like they aren't doing anything in their official statements.

I don't see where you get the idea, I'm complaining?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:31 am

dbgtFO wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:48 am
AnimeNation101 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:20 pm The people inside that gave Ajay and Geekdom the information know how big they are and usually tell them what info they can and cant reveal. Thats how it works.

If it isn't low-key encouraged by Toei to leak certain information in order to hype the fandom up, then yeah they should be sacked.
It probably is though, so I'm sure Toei are happy about it, while they of course have to act like they aren't doing anything in their official statements.

I doubt it's Toei's approval since why would they leaked It to US Youtubers.
Kanassa wrote:

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:27 am

dbgtFO wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:48 am

Here’s what I'm seeing.

Some staff of DBS were kind enough to give us info that 2uper is happening. Yet you’re held up on your thoughts that the staff should be fired BECAUSE they were kind enough to give us this info. Why?

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:49 pm

Most companies have confidentiality clauses and some can be very strict.

But again, this is harmless as far as I can tell so I really hope no one gets in trouble. Best case scenario was that there was indeed official agreement to let the info leak.

I mean, didn't someone say that Nozawa accidentally let it slip that DBS was being made in 2015 weeks before the official announcement? It's not unprecedented.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:07 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:27 am Here’s what I'm seeing.

Some staff of DBS were kind enough to give us info that 2uper is happening. Yet you’re held up on your thoughts that the staff should be fired BECAUSE they were kind enough to give us this info. Why?
Is it kindness, if it goes against contractual obligations of the company employing them? Or is it simply so unbearable for fans to wait another month for the official announcement, that leaking the information is thus a kind thing to do?
I mean, if they really go and do things they aren't allowed to, then I don't see the problem with them suffering the consequences. They can only blame themselves for their stupidity, if that's the case.