"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

louisascommie
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by louisascommie » Thu May 16, 2019 4:40 pm

Saturnine wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:33 am
louisascommie wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:32 pm Ajay and Yonko are fine people as far as I know

I don't like geekdom for his right wing anti sjw anti feminist jokes ripped straight out of 2013. that shit is most prevalent on his world of geekdom channel
To be perfectly fair, it doesn't take a right winger to bash feminists and sjws, but I digress

As foe Geekdom, he seems fine to me. He reacts with hostility when people accuse him of having bad credibility, but IMO it only shows how important his credobility is to him. He probably worked for years to get where he is now, and people generally like to think their hard work is meaningful - otherwise it leads to heavy frustration or even depression.
There is not a single good person that attacks "feminist or sjw", not counting terfs ofcourse but that's different. it is fine to dislike terfs.

but geekdom is 100 percent on the say the Brie Larson (who I love 😍) hate train and many other bad faith right wing origin internet harrsment trains

And it's an embarrassment that someone like geekdom is a big part of the dragon ball online community.
Only thing I was willing to give credit where I thought was due was that I thought he had legit sources but lol.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu May 16, 2019 5:13 pm

louisascommie wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:40 pm
louisascommie wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:32 pm Ajay and Yonko are fine people as far as I know

I don't like geekdom for his right wing anti sjw anti feminist jokes ripped straight out of 2013. that shit is most prevalent on his world of geekdom channel
To be perfectly fair, it doesn't take a right winger to bash feminists and sjws, but I digress

As foe Geekdom, he seems fine to me. He reacts with hostility when people accuse him of having bad credibility, but IMO it only shows how important his credobility is to him. He probably worked for years to get where he is now, and people generally like to think their hard work is meaningful - otherwise it leads to heavy frustration or even depression.
There is not a single good person that attacks "feminist or sjw", not counting terfs ofcourse but that's different. it is fine to dislike terfs.

but geekdom is 100 percent on the say the Brie Larson (who I love 😍) hate train and many other bad faith right wing origin internet harrsment trains
I don't like Brie Larson either. I'm throwing up in my mouth at the thought of defending Geekdom but I think you're exaggerating just a tad.

To keep this thread on topic:

It's the 16th of May. The clock is ticking for that twitter account. If Terez is apart of Geekdom and Ajay's inner circle then it means they just pushed the announcement date to July now since their May date failed and went silent which is probably what they'll do again if July fails.

As far as I've seen, only a small handful of people are calling them out and it's only on here. I can't believe they got away with it so easily.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu May 16, 2019 5:32 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:13 pm

I don't like Brie Larson either. I'm throwing up in my mouth at the thought of defending Geekdom but I think you're exaggerating just a tad.

It's the 16th of May. The clock is ticking for that twitter account. If Terez is apart of Geekdom and Ajay's inner circle then it means they just pushed the announcement date to July now since their May date failed and went silent which is probably what they'll do again if July fails.

As far as I've seen, only a small handful of people are calling them out and it's only on here. I can't believe they got away with it so easily.
July release date is still a possibility.
Either way, what do you want, everyone to turn against Ajay, Geekdom and the others and unleash a shitstorm on them?
Will that leave you satisfied?
I can understand those who want Geekdom to comment on this stuff and apologise like Ajay did, but it seems like right now he has bigger problems to deal with it.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu May 16, 2019 5:40 pm

I like Super a lot content wise, but I think those retellings were unnecessary... Battle of Gods was inferior to the uncut movie. Where they had the possibility to expand upon the source material and include all the cuts, we had episode around Oolong playing rock paper and scissors, the choreography was lazy and bad, art direction was bad. There were plotholes, like if you miss the movies as one of my friends, who saw Super recently, asked me why is Pilaf gang kids?

BoG in Super form was shit... Ressurection F was great and better than the movie content wise, tough the choreography and art was even worse. Tournament arc was better and it was during Black arc that I think it took up.

Overall, I like Super as a sequel to Z and I am happy for it, as it shelved GT aside from being the definitive Z sequel.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu May 16, 2019 6:13 pm

emperior wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:32 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:13 pm

July release date is still a possibility.
Either way, what do you want, everyone to turn against Ajay, Geekdom and the others and unleash a shitstorm on them?
Will that leave you satisfied?
Ajay already apologized. I really don't have anything against him. Geekdom on the other hand.... Him claiming his detractors were going to apologize during May and then hiding when May actually came makes me wish more people called him out.

I heard Yonkou has been wrong about a handful of things (especially predictions). I don't even know what he does.

As for Terez? All I know is she's a reddit moderator. I don't use r/DBZ so I don't know her very well but I hope she's not another twitter user with sources.

emperior wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:32 pm I can understand those who want Geekdom to comment on this stuff and apologise like Ajay did, but it seems like right now he has bigger problems to deal with it.
???

I really don't get what these guys mean to everyone. I may not know them or this fandom very well but I've seen similar situations and foots were eventually put down. I understand that communities value and defend their pillars but I'm starting to think that people are giving a few of them too much credit.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Fri May 17, 2019 12:27 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:13 pm
I really don't get what these guys mean to everyone. I may not know them or this fandom very well but I've seen similar situations and foots were eventually put down. I understand that communities value and defend their pillars but I'm starting to think that people are giving a few of them too much credit.
I don't know about "community" or any pillars thereof, not really my concern personally. Geekdom is just a DB youtuber I kinda enjoy watching every now and then and that's all there is to it. He's been right in the past and he was never caught making shit up thus far, so I'm going to give him a pass this time too.

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Fri May 17, 2019 4:36 am

MCDaveG wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:48 am
sintzu wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:33 am
emperior wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:30 am This franchise fatigue theory sounds dumb, no offence.
If this was the case they wouldn’t have been airing One Piece non stop for so many years.
And Super has barely been on TV for 3 years. That’s not much. Not when the original run from DB to DBGT lasted for many more years.
One of the main reasons the original run came to an end was due to franchise fatigue. Just because One Piece can go on for 20+ years doesn't mean everything can. Of course 3 or even 5 years isn't long enough for that to happen but they may want to be on the safe side and not do too much all at once. The longer Super is off the air, the higher its anticipation will be.
Well, Shueisha wasn't planning that DB will end with Buu, but Toriyama did and asked Shueisha for permision as he was exhausted after 15 years of nonstop serialization. Must be hard job, as Saint Seiya author Masami Kurumada has ill hand that hurts him a lot from years of working on different mangas. And DBGT was not much popular in Japan, but I don't think it was a fatigue, people just didn't like the original story not coming from the manga. Dragon Ball Final Bout on PS1 was probably a last Dragon Ball thing coming out? Except for some annual nostalgia releases and data books?
On side note, people here probably didn't knew the Dragon Ball Z Gaiden and NES games, but I wonder how did Japanese fans regarded Baby arc being rehash of Plan To Destroy Saiyans.
15 years? You mean counting Dr. Slump?

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri May 17, 2019 8:43 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:57 am
Michsi wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:47 am Yeah, but if memory serves, One Piece was moved in the early- mid 2000's precisely to save ratings, because it wasn't doing that well in that time slot anymore. DB's ratings were usually smaller than One Piece's.
That was Sunday evenings, not Sat evenings. I find that speculation pretty weird cause anime doesn't air in that slot anymore. Unless they are going to suddenly start airing anime again or create a new slot just for Super(doubtful on that, but who even knows at this point.) it has nowhere to air as it stands right now. Or it will probably be a web series? But, lol a web Dragon Ball series also sounds weird.

Kitaro won't be ending anytime soon or changing slots btw, that much is confirmed.
Well, apparently it did really well with streaming, causing servers to crash constantly when a new episode was out. It wouldn't be that far fetched to have them consider making this a web only series like with Heroes.
Not to mention that the ratings alone for DB were top ten but still on the lower end of that TOP (and that it was because of the time slot and OP that it even got that much) but the DVD recordings were always very high. Meaning people watched, but not when it aired. Might as well put it on the web in that case.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri May 17, 2019 10:07 am

Paulo Gabriel wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 4:36 am 15 years? You mean counting Dr. Slump?
Yeah, with Slump from 1980 to 1995. They are different series, but same author + add various other designs he did alongside his chapter per week, like character designs for anime or Dragon Quest. That is a load of work on one person + Toriyama makes himself seem like being lenient, which I think is not true. I think that being a person he is, he just wanted some of his own time as he wasn't a type to be workaholic.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri May 17, 2019 10:10 am

MCDaveG wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:07 amYeah, with Slump from 1980 to 1995. They are different series, but same author + add various other designs he did alongside his chapter per week, like character designs for anime or Dragon Quest. That is a load of work on one person + Toriyama makes himself seem like being lenient, which I think is not true. I think that being a person he is, he just wanted some of his own time as he wasn't a type to be workaholic.
Then you should count Neko Majin (1999 - 2005) and Dragon Ball Online (~2005 - 2010). He only had a four-year break.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri May 17, 2019 10:12 am

Michsi wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:43 am
Michsi wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:47 am Yeah, but if memory serves, One Piece was moved in the early- mid 2000's precisely to save ratings, because it wasn't doing that well in that time slot anymore. DB's ratings were usually smaller than One Piece's.
That was Sunday evenings, not Sat evenings. I find that speculation pretty weird cause anime doesn't air in that slot anymore. Unless they are going to suddenly start airing anime again or create a new slot just for Super(doubtful on that, but who even knows at this point.) it has nowhere to air as it stands right now. Or it will probably be a web series? But, lol a web Dragon Ball series also sounds weird.

Kitaro won't be ending anytime soon or changing slots btw, that much is confirmed.
Well, apparently it did really well with streaming, causing servers to crash constantly when a new episode was out. It wouldn't be that far fetched to have them consider making this a web only series like with Heroes.
Not to mention that the ratings alone for DB were top ten but still on the lower end of that TOP (and that it was because of the time slot and OP that it even got that much) but the DVD recordings were always very high. Meaning people watched, but not when it aired. Might as well put it on the web in that case.
Do we know what Dragon Ball demographics is nowadays? Because based on this, it looks like that it is really a nostalgia train watched by fans of the original run, rather than being popular around today's kids. Kids watch TV and don't buy DVD's, unless their parents are and from what I know, Dragon Ball was released in Japan only as collector's item (Dragon Box) but you can't get it on DVD like those loads of US releases there are, or like Orange Bricks in Walmart.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri May 17, 2019 10:16 am

Grimlock wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:10 am
MCDaveG wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:07 amYeah, with Slump from 1980 to 1995. They are different series, but same author + add various other designs he did alongside his chapter per week, like character designs for anime or Dragon Quest. That is a load of work on one person + Toriyama makes himself seem like being lenient, which I think is not true. I think that being a person he is, he just wanted some of his own time as he wasn't a type to be workaholic.
Then you should count Neko Majin (1999 - 2005) and Dragon Ball Online (~2005 - 2010). He only had a four-year break.
But we don't know how much work there was with DB Online and what his involvement was. Was he really 100% invested or did he just do a few drafts like for GT and approved some ideas?
And Neko Majin were pretty much one-shots and that is what he does since Dragon Ball ended. Based on wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akira_Toriyama he is pretty much active all the time, but doing one-shots and miniseries, nothing huge like he did with Slump and Dragon Ball.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri May 17, 2019 10:23 am

MCDaveG wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:16 amBut we don't know how much work there was with DB Online and what his involvement was. Was he really 100% invested or did he just do a few drafts like for GT and approved some ideas?
We don't know exactly the extent of his work, but we know he worked for five years. It would be extremely naive and unrealistic of us to think all he did was just designs.

And then there is Bardock's personality in the game, which matches with what would only be seen in Dragon Ball Minus/Dragon Ball Super: Broly years later. Both of these things certainly implies he did more than just what we have been told.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri May 17, 2019 10:26 am

Grimlock wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:23 am
MCDaveG wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:16 amBut we don't know how much work there was with DB Online and what his involvement was. Was he really 100% invested or did he just do a few drafts like for GT and approved some ideas?
We don't know exactly the extent of his work, but we know he worked for five years. It would be extremely naive and unrealistic of us to think all the did was just designs.

And then there is Bardock's personality in the game, which matches with what would only be seen in Dragon Ball Minus/Dragon Ball Super: Broly years later. Both of these things certainly implies he did more than just what we have been told.
Yeah, but all we can do is speculate, as we can't base that on facts or interviews. It would be nice if someone did some torough research and see what we can learn. But as I only want to present hard facts, I really can't base anything on my own assumptions and especially not in this very thread, where we discusss unfounded rumors.

You might be true, that he could have worked fully on Online, or (and I think that is more probable) he just made character outlines for example Bardock, which could have been just a sheet of bulletpoints and one or two sketches. That is not something that you are invested in for a full time job. I just don't think that he was that much invested in Korean MMORPG and that game didn't have that much content to begin with. I remember playing that game illegally via fake ID and like 10 % of the map was done from the whole world?

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri May 17, 2019 10:55 am

MCDaveG wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:12 am
Michsi wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:43 am

Do we know what Dragon Ball demographics is nowadays? Because based on this, it looks like that it is really a nostalgia train watched by fans of the original run, rather than being popular around today's kids. Kids watch TV and don't buy DVD's, unless their parents are and from what I know, Dragon Ball was released in Japan only as collector's item (Dragon Box) but you can't get it on DVD like those loads of US releases there are, or like Orange Bricks in Walmart.
Sorry, I meant DVR. I don't think DB Super had great DVD sales. But yes, as someone that went to the Broly movie noted, it seems the vast majority of viewers were men around the age of 25-50.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Fri May 17, 2019 11:45 am

It's worth mentioning that Kitaro's rating average is fairly lower than DBS' was, for what's worth it. In fact, One Piece is also doing worse recently, which could be credited to a less popular lead-in - maybe.

But yes, when included live ratings + DVR viewing DBS was always in the top 5, sometimes it was even #1. I remember as I actually started posting these here back then.
As for DVDs, pretty much nothing gets great sales in Japan anymore, there's a serious decline when it comes to physical media going on, streaming is where the money is now. It's really important that Toei focuses on that from day one this time.

Konja7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Konja7 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:56 am

Michsi wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:55 amSorry, I meant DVR. I don't think DB Super had great DVD sales. But yes, as someone that went to the Broly movie noted, it seems the vast majority of viewers were men around the age of 25-50.
Considering that Dragon Ball has big fanbase of adult fans (since they see the original Dragon Ball), it isn't weird that there are a lot of adults for Broly movie.

The ratings for Super were good (for the current standards).

Regarding its popularity between kids, it is difficult to know. The mercandise can be a hint. How much of the merchandise can be directed to kids.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Fri May 17, 2019 2:07 pm

Baggie can explain in detail, but most DB merch is aimed at 15+ age group. Bandai even acknowledged that the core fan layer are adults. Given, none of its merch ever rank in top 10 for kids, it is pretty obvious where its fanbase lies.

I'm sure kids watch DB, the kids ratings it got were decent(although it collapsed after Nichiasa change), but the driving force behind the franchise are adults, more specifically men in the 20-50 age group. Its no surprise Super cashed on nostalgia so hard.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri May 17, 2019 3:48 pm

Saturnine wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:27 am
I don't know about "community" or any pillars thereof, not really my concern personally. Geekdom is just a DB youtuber I kinda enjoy watching every now and then and that's all there is to it. He's been right in the past and he was never caught making shit up thus far, so I'm going to give him a pass this time too.
What has he got right exactly? Because there's a difference between being able to guess who does what in the next arc and knowing whether or not a series is cancelled or when its coming back.

Even if he is somewhat trustable, it still wouldn't excuse his inflated ego and the fact that he's hiding from anything related to his 2.0 claims.

On a side note: There's like 5 people with sources and they're all from the West. At this point I would have expected 2ch leaks.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
On another side note: My main gripe isn't Geekdom, my issue is the fact that these people could legitimately say this was all a lie and no one but me and 4 random guys would get angry about it. Anyone else would just chalk it up as some community strengthening exercise or let it go after a day. I'm 99% sure when May passes Geekdom and Ajay will start clinging to Terez's theories and we'll be right back to square one, only on a different month.

SaiyanTarzan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SaiyanTarzan » Fri May 17, 2019 4:22 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:48 pm
Saturnine wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:27 am
What has he got right exactly? Because there's a difference between being able to guess who does what in the next arc and knowing whether or not a series is cancelled or when its coming back.

Even if he is somewhat trustable, it still wouldn't excuse his inflated ego and the fact that he's hiding from anything related to his 2.0 claims.

On a side note: There's like 5 people with sources and they're all from the West. At this point I would have expected 2ch leaks.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
On another side note: My main gripe isn't Geekdom, my issue is the fact that these people could legitimately say this was all a lie and no one but me and 4 random guys would get angry about it. Anyone else would just chalk it up as some community strengthening exercise or let it go after a day. I'm 99% sure when May passes Geekdom and Ajay will start clinging to Terez's theories and we'll be right back to square one, only on a different month.
I've been hearing that the announcement is actually in July now, not from any sourcess just that it's a talk going around. That goalpost man lol.