"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by emperior » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:49 am

It would be hilariously stupid for each of the involved companies to not want an on-going weekly TV show AND yearly movies to fully capitalize on the cash cow that DB has become.

The fact that merchandising sells well doesn’t mean that “DB is set”, and everyone should be able to tell that if they never made Super then the franchise would have never reached these levels.

I find it much more plausible that they have been indeed working on the show behind the scenes ever since production on Broly ended, and they want it to be as good as possible so that it can run for many years while keeping an high level of quality so as to avoid another fiasco.

And considering just how popular this show is overseas, they may be trying to have it air simultaneously worldwide once it comes back.
I bet they realised how illegal streamings hurt their revenues (YouTube videos were making millions of views!) so by having simuldubs every involved company, including overseas ones, would benefit from it.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:54 pm

emperior wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:49 am It would be hilariously stupid for each of the involved companies to not want an on-going weekly TV show AND yearly movies to fully capitalize on the cash cow that DB has become.

The fact that merchandising sells well doesn’t mean that “DB is set”, and everyone should be able to tell that if they never made Super then the franchise would have never reached these levels.

I find it much more plausible that they have been indeed working on the show behind the scenes ever since production on Broly ended, and they want it to be as good as possible so that it can run for many years while keeping an high level of quality so as to avoid another fiasco.

And considering just how popular this show is overseas, they may be trying to have it air simultaneously worldwide once it comes back.
I bet they realised how illegal streamings hurt their revenues (YouTube videos were making millions of views!) so by having simuldubs every involved company, including overseas ones, would benefit from it.
At first I wasn't buying it but now a simuldub release seems more and more likely.

What versions of Super are still working on the show?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:01 pm

The French dub was all recorded early this year, and the first batch of the Universe Survival Arc aired in March.
The last few episodes are airing in September, which is nearly 5 months after the first lot.
Make of that what you will.

I will say, that Toei Europe, who produce the French dub, aren't a recording studio, and unlike Funimation, aren't set up for Simuldubs.
They use independent contractors to write the episodes in French, so I don't think they could do it.

The only company I know that can produce them, and are set up to do so, is Funimation.
Italy are waiting for the final 15 episodes since May. Spain have been stuck on episode 96 since last December, and Portugal are re-starting after a long hiatus next Monday with Episode 105.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:22 pm

If this Simuldub theory is true then will the networks broadcasting Super speed up the amount of episodes they're airing?

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:30 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:22 pm If this Simuldub theory is true then will the networks broadcasting Super speed up the amount of episodes they're airing?
I can't see the EU territories being able to produce a Simuldub.
The only other company I know of who produce them other than Funimation are based in Korea, and they do One Piece, literally just One Piece.
Simuldubs aren't commonplace and I just don't see it happening.
I can see episodes being released at a faster pace, maybe a few months back, but certainly not a month back like Funimation could.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:48 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:30 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:22 pm If this Simuldub theory is true then will the networks broadcasting Super speed up the amount of episodes they're airing?
The only other company I know of who produce them other than Funimation are based in Korea, and they do One Piece, literally just One Piece.
I can see episodes being released at a faster pace, maybe a few months back, but certainly not a month back like Funimation could.
So on the unlikely chance that a Simuldub could happen, it would just be Funimation?

We're running out of ways to figure out why Super isn't here yet and SDCC is the day after tomorrow. What are we going to do?

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:14 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:48 pm
So on the unlikely chance that a Simuldub could happen, it would just be Funimation?
Not necessarily, to be fair, they could change their infrastructure in order to be able to produce it, but I don't see Toei Europe going for Simuldubs.

I just think it got postponed due to Stampede, One Piece is top dog over there, and they want to give that all the marketing for now.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:21 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:14 pm

I just think it got postponed due to Stampede, One Piece is top dog over there, and they want to give that all the marketing for now.
But didn't that One Piece enthusiast (I think his name was Skippy?) say that no one of note from Dragon Ball went over to work on Stampede?

https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot/stat ... 4863881221

And if Super has its own movie to do and an anime in preproduction then why would they steal their staff?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:36 pm

Not necessarily, to be fair, they could change their infrastructure in order to be able to produce it, but I don't see Toei Europe going for Simuldubs.

Dragon Ball surpassed One Piece in Japan awhile ago.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:16 am

DBZ_Lee wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:01 pm The French dub was all recorded early this year, and the first batch of the Universe Survival Arc aired in March.
The last few episodes are airing in September, which is nearly 5 months after the first lot.

I will say, that Toei Europe, who produce the French dub, aren't a recording studio, and unlike Funimation, aren't set up for Simuldubs.
They use independent contractors to write the episodes in French, so I don't think they could do it.

The only company I know that can produce them, and are set up to do so, is Funimation.
Italy are waiting for the final 15 episodes since May. Spain have been stuck on episode 96 since last December, and Portugal are re-starting after a long hiatus next Monday with Episode 105.
Doesn't mean things will continue to be the same. There's the dragon ball room now, you know.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:08 pm

Was this the "bigger presence" they were talking about?

https://www.geek.com/culture/dragon-bal ... 9-1795789/

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:35 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:21 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:48 pm So on the unlikely chance that a Simuldub could happen, it would just be Funimation?
But didn't that One Piece enthusiast (I think his name was Skippy?) say that no one of note from Dragon Ball went over to work on Stampede?

And if Super has its own movie to do and an anime in preproduction then why would they steal their staff?
I'm talking strictly from a marketing perspective here.
sangofe wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:16 am
DBZ_Lee wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:01 pm The French dub was all recorded early this year, and the first batch of the Universe Survival Arc aired in March.

Doesn't mean things will continue to be the same. There's the dragon ball room now, you know.
The Dragon Ball room at Shueisha is for rights and editing, they will likely have nothing to do with the infrastructure of overseas companies wishing to dub the series.
Of course, right now, simuldubbing isn't commonplace anywhere, but things may very well change in the future, and tbh, I hope they do, and perhaps Super's return will see many companies make drastic changes to the way they record their material moving forward.
HeroR wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:36 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:48 pm So on the unlikely chance that a Simuldub could happen, it would just be Funimation?

The anime and manga are still more popular though, but merchandising wise, DB has overtaken it for sure.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:45 pm

There's no way dub Va's or an NFL player are making the initial announcement of a new series?

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:53 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:45 pm There's no way dub Va's or an NFL player are making the initial announcement of a new series?
On Comic-Con's program schedule, it's listed as "Dragon Ball Z: 30th Anniversary Panel". Last year, it was "Dragon Ball Super" and the description mentioned they would reveal new information about DBS: Broly. Unless it's a surprise announcement, it looks all they'll talk about this year is DBZ's 30th anniversary.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:09 pm

At best, I can see them saying "and Dragon Ball has a bright future ahead, so look forward to it!". A vague statement that more or less would confirm something new, but also, that much is obvious :)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:15 pm

Xeogran wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:09 pm At best, I can see them saying "and Dragon Ball has a bright future ahead, so look forward to it!". A vague statement that more or less would confirm something new, but also, that much is obvious :)

This has the best chance of being what happens, imo.

The theory of them announcing 2uper at SDCC I'm not 100% sold on even though I think it's possible because of how big SDCC is and how big the U.S. marketing push Broly had. The absence of any Toei and or Shueisha staff from Japan are what's keeping me from believing this'll finally be it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:19 pm

As much as Dragon Ball is seen as an international IP now, make no mistake, the announcement will come from Japan.
Even if it is just a press statement, they will be issuing it.

I do see hints being dropped as a big possibility, but nothing more.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:13 pm

Although it seems very unlikely, I really hope we get a 2uper announcement tomorrow.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:19 pm

Yeah, at this point I'm finding an SDCC announcement very unlikely. They seem more worried about this dumb Kamehameha world record.
Anyway, Super wasn't announced at an event. We're all expecting that but it could come anytime in the shape of a press release and that's it.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:42 am

DBZ_Lee wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:35 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:21 pm

I'm talking strictly from a marketing perspective here.
sangofe wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:16 am

The Dragon Ball room at Shueisha is for rights and editing, they will likely have nothing to do with the infrastructure of overseas companies wishing to dub the series.
Of course, right now, simuldubbing isn't commonplace anywhere, but things may very well change in the future, and tbh, I hope they do, and perhaps Super's return will see many companies make drastic changes to the way they record their material moving forward.
HeroR wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:36 pm

The anime and manga are still more popular though, but merchandising wise, DB has overtaken it for sure.
If the Dragon Ball is for rights then it'd a job to organize the rights so simuldubbing can happen, I'm inclined to think. By the way... The db room seems to have a creative part, too. So I think it's not for rights and editing. Do you have a source stating this?