"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by emperior » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:24 am

Michsi wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:00 am
emperior wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:53 am Dragon Ball works better as a weekly TV show. Having a movie every 2 year would kill all the hype Super generated.
We should be getting movies AND a TV show. It would give us fans more content and it would also make Toei a lot of money - definitely much more than what One Piece does, yet it’s still getting all their attention.
Again, TV shows are really expensive. The merchandise money doesn't all go to TOEI (if any, since the IP belongs to Shueisha) TV shows usually make money from ads and OP always had better ratings than DBS meaning it makes more money for TOEI on that front. Also I think OP sells more DVDs.
This explanation makes no sense when you see how Toei’s and Bandai Namco’s returns literally skyrocketed ever since Super began airing in 2015 (Battle of Gods and Resurrection F didn’t boost the franchise’s sales much).

Toei make a lot of money thanks to DB, that much is clear from their financial reports, and even Toei didn’t make a dollar with it surely Shueisha, Fuji TV and Bandai Namco would fully pay for them to produce DB episode.
The ratings don’t matter in this case: they aren’t a measure of the show’s financial success while merchandising is, and the reason toys/videogames/etcetera sell is because of the hype Super brought. Without it the franchise would still be as dead as it was 5 years ago.

The reason why they aren’t releasing a new show or even annouce it is unclear. I would have bet for them to release it as soon as in April 2019 but for some reason it didn’t happen. Maybe they had some behind the scenes contrasts with Toriyama, maybe they decided to focus on One Piece while buying time to figure out better deals for Super’s return, including simuldubs, and to also release it with better quality and an healthy schedule they can sustain for years (which would also make sure they won’t overpay for episodes to be finished in time as it happened before with Super).
This would also give Toriyama more time to come up with new stories.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:32 am

emperior wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:24 am
emperior wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:53 am Dragon Ball works better as a weekly TV show. Having a movie every 2 year would kill all the hype Super generated.
We should be getting movies AND a TV show. It would give us fans more content and it would also make Toei a lot of money - definitely much more than what One Piece does, yet it’s still getting all their attention.
Again, TV shows are really expensive. The merchandise money doesn't all go to TOEI (if any, since the IP belongs to Shueisha) TV shows usually make money from ads and OP always had better ratings than DBS meaning it makes more money for TOEI on that front. Also I think OP sells more DVDs.
This explanation makes no sense when you see how Toei’s and Bandai Namco’s returns literally skyrocketed ever since Super began airing in 2015 (Battle of Gods and Resurrection F didn’t boost the franchise’s sales much).

Toei make a lot of money thanks to DB, that much is clear from their financial reports, and even Toei didn’t make a dollar with it surely Shueisha, Fuji TV and Bandai Namco would fully pay for them to produce DB episode.
The ratings don’t matter in this case: they aren’t a measure of the show’s financial success while merchandising is, and the reason toys/videogames/etcetera sell is because of the hype Super brought. Without it the franchise would still be as dead as it was 5 years ago.

The reason why they aren’t releasing a new show or even annouce it is unclear. I would have bet for them to release it as soon as in April 2019 but for some reason it didn’t happen. Maybe they had some behind the scenes contrasts with Toriyama, maybe they decided to focus on One Piece while buying time to figure out better deals for Super’s return, including simuldubs, and to also release it with better quality and an healthy schedule they can sustain for years (which would also make sure they won’t overpay for episodes to be finished in time as it happened before with Super).
This would also give Toriyama more time to come up with new stories.

My point was that a movie makes a lot more financial sense because even with the highest quality, it still isn't as expensive as a year long series. Those numbers you are referring to skyrocketed after DBS ended and while the movie hype was going around. So if they can retain this level of income without exerting their resources as much why wouldn't they keep this formula? Shows are usually done to promote merchandise and for now it seems everything is going great even without a series backing it up.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:45 am

Toei do get some it's shared four ways between Toei, Bird, Sheiusha & Bandai (5 ways if it's DBS branded merch as Fujitv get some). In some cases Bandai often list things as pending license so it could alternatively be a case of paying a flat fee to all those above instead of the profits being shared.

However for the movie prize figure, I don't think Toei got/get any money off of them, since they aren't credited for copyright ie next months Tag Fighters vs next months Legends Collab old Gogeta . Toei aren't credited for the Tag Fighters. But for all other non prize figures movie merch Toei are credited so it seems weird that they aren't getting anything for prize figures only.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:00 pm

This whole thing is hilarious. People on this forum with their so-called "sources" and a goalpost that gets moved back after every possible event. What is the next event where "Super" will "definitely" be announced?

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:43 am

There isn't anythign you can do right now not even this month or rest of 2019, idk about after One Piece movie film release aftermath... lol I'm pretty much not going come in here that much but read this crap with people talking about opinion I don't see any point of keep going of what y'all argument about, sure we got a green light movie, manga... right now just wait.

Devilman21/

Post by Devilman21/ » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:33 pm

At this point I think it's safe to say Dragon Ball Super isn't coming back anytime soon. I still believe it is coming back at some point though it's just a matter of when. As others have pointed out, modern Dragon Ball has been an financial success & that's thanks in large part to Super. As far as the "leaks/rumors" of a Dragon ball anime being in production as reported by Yonko & others, I still think there was some truth to that. Call me crazy but I just find it hard to believe that a host of very credible individuals would risk losing their credibility by lying. They've been known to have super reliable sources in the past & these same sources repeatedly doubled down & tripled down on their claims of 2uper's return.

So what happened? I'm not sure. Maybe there was some misinformation/miscommunication that took place between the sources & people like Geekdom. What's far more likely tho is that there was a change of plans, likely at the executive level of Toei. Rumor has it that many of the people currently working on Super were assigned to finish up work on One Piece: Stampede. But then again maybe I'm wrong & Toei just isn't working on any new Dragon ball anime series at this time. In any event I don't think it really matters at this point. Regardless of whether 2uper is delayed or nonexistent, the reality is that, at least for now, we won't be getting Dragon ball Super 2.0 for quite some time if ever. We do know there is another movie being planned so we have that to look forward to & we still have heroes & the DBS manga to "enjoy". Outside of that all we can do is wait & see what happens. If Super comes back great! If not oh well. That's all there really is to it.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:48 pm

Devilman21/ wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:33 pm But I just find it hard to believe that a host of very credible individuals would risk losing their credibility by lying. They've been known to have super reliable sources in the past & these same sources repeatedly doubled down & tripled down on their claims of 2uper's return.
I still can't find a reason why all three of them would do this for so long but I know they know they'd be able to get away with it if they did do it.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not some bloke with a tinfoil hat, going into this I really did want to believe them but throughout the year it's just been nothing but last minute cancels, excuses with paper thin plot holes, and predictions that went nowhere
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Devilman21/

Post by Devilman21/ » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:56 pm

People like Yonko, Geekdom & AJ have built a reputation for being credible. They aren't always right & sometimes they could handle things better, but they pride themselves on being trustworthy. I find it incredibly hard to believe they would lie. They received information from multiple independent yet super reliable sources. That information may be out of date or inaccurate but nonetheless that's what they had to work with. There's no conspiracy here.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:33 am

I've been a bit out of the loop the past few weeks so I'm not really up-to-date - what's the consensus regarding the series now. Before people were sure that the series is being worked and that it exists and only the time for an official announcement was up in the air. Is the existence of this supposed series being questioned now as well ?

Please no snide remarks and sorry to Ajay & co. for bringing this up again.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:36 am

Michsi wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:33 am I've been a bit out of the loop the past few weeks so I'm not really up-to-date - what's the consensus regarding the series now. Before people were sure that the series is being worked and that it exists and only the time for an official announcement was up in the air. Is the existence of this supposed series being questioned now as well ?

The optimism from the beginning of the thread is largely gone and people have become more sceptical. I wouldn't say that we're questioning "Super 2's" existence in its entirety yet, though, since I don't want to speak over the people who still fully believe that it's coming, but rather just that we're acknowledging the possibility that it isn't being made.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

louisascommie
Beyond Newbie

Post by louisascommie » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:49 am

At this piont I expect dragon ball to replace kitaro if it ends next year

though we are really in trouble if kitaro ends and a diffrent ip replaces it entirely.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:01 am

Alruneia wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:36 am
Michsi wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:33 am I've been a bit out of the loop the past few weeks so I'm not really up-to-date - what's the consensus regarding the series now. Before people were sure that the series is being worked and that it exists and only the time for an official announcement was up in the air. Is the existence of this supposed series being questioned now as well ?

The optimism from the beginning of the thread is largely gone and people have become more sceptical. I wouldn't say that we're questioning "Super 2's" existence in its entirety yet, though, since I don't want to speak over the people who still fully believe that it's coming, but rather just that we're acknowledging the possibility that it isn't being made.
Thank you!

Just saw someone mention that a lot of the staff of Super went to work on Stampede because it was behind on schedule ? Don't know if there's any truth to that, but I guess that is bad news for the theory about a lot of Super staff members missing from shows and therefor working on a "mysterious project".

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:14 am

I wouldn't be surprised if it's not till next summer. That would give the Manga a year+ head start which would be good. That way they have actual source material to work off of. The only issue I can see from that is continuity with the Super anime being messed up.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:05 pm

omegacwa wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:14 am I wouldn't be surprised if it's not till next summer. That would give the Manga a year+ head start which would be good. That way they have actual source material to work off of. The only issue I can see from that is continuity with the Super anime being messed up.
That won't be good because if source material is shit. I'd rather have no source material then them following whatever Mr glorified fan mangaka is conjuring up.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:17 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:05 pm
omegacwa wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:14 am I wouldn't be surprised if it's not till next summer. That would give the Manga a year+ head start which would be good. That way they have actual source material to work off of. The only issue I can see from that is continuity with the Super anime being messed up.
That won't be good because if source material is shit. I'd rather have no source material then them following whatever Mr glorified fan mangaka is conjuring up.
Last I checked Toriyama is still involved in the manga.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:44 pm

omegacwa wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:17 pm Last I checked Toriyama is still involved in the manga.
We know he is involved, as Toyotaro has stated he's "tag-teaming with Toriyama-sensei".
Toriyama is credited with the story on every chapter thus far, but he's also been given that credit all throughout the entire serialisation, so we just don't know how involved he is.

IIRC, all previous arcs have been taken from Toriyama-sensei's drafts?.
The manga and anime both draw from the same draft, but are adapted differently, though because we haven't seen any of Toriyama's designs, people are sceptical as to if this is his, or actually Toyotaro's with Toriyama supervising.

In my opinion, if and when the anime returns (more the latter for me) we could see them reveal that the arc is in fact Toriyama's and we could see some designs then.

It could be, that Toriyama is working on the next arc for the anime/movie already, and Toyotaro had to continue the manga, so he came up with this on his own for the interim, this may not get adapted.
It's anyone's guess for now.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:18 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:48 pm
Devilman21/ wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:33 pm But I just find it hard to believe that a host of very credible individuals would risk losing their credibility by lying. They've been known to have super reliable sources in the past & these same sources repeatedly doubled down & tripled down on their claims of 2uper's return.
I still can't find a reason why all three of them would do this for so long but I know they know they'd be able to get away with it if they did do it.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not some bloke with a tinfoil hat, going into this I really did want to believe them but throughout the year it's just been nothing but last minute cancels, excuses with paper thin plot holes, and predictions that went nowhere
People do it for attention or to make clickbait videos on subpar Youtube channels. Even though they're plainly lying, there are still a lot of people clicking to find out.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:36 am

DBZ_Lee wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:44 pm
omegacwa wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:17 pm Last I checked Toriyama is still involved in the manga.
We know he is involved, as Toyotaro has stated he's "tag-teaming with Toriyama-sensei".
Toriyama is credited with the story on every chapter thus far, but he's also been given that credit all throughout the entire serialisation, so we just don't know how involved he is.

IIRC, all previous arcs have been taken from Toriyama-sensei's drafts?.
The manga and anime both draw from the same draft, but are adapted differently, though because we haven't seen any of Toriyama's designs, people are sceptical as to if this is his, or actually Toyotaro's with Toriyama supervising.

In my opinion, if and when the anime returns (more the latter for me) we could see them reveal that the arc is in fact Toriyama's and we could see some designs then.

It could be, that Toriyama is working on the next arc for the anime/movie already, and Toyotaro had to continue the manga, so he came up with this on his own for the interim, this may not get adapted.
It's anyone's guess for now.
I personally think ignoring the manga entirely would be a strange decision and a mistake. I think the Moro arc has been interesting and would work as a good jump off point for "Super 2" although there are issues with the lack of Kaio Ken and Evolution (Although Evolution is sort of in the manga). They'd have to figure out how to implement those in the show or, like Broly, I guess they could just ignore it.

Side Bar: I don't really have interest in another movie. I'll see it for sure, but I feel the the movies for the most part are too narrow in scope and don't really progress anything. Sure "Broly" is "canon" but who knows if that will even hold true. We haven't seen anything in the manga or otherwise that says that they will be holding 100% to the continuity of the movie. I honestly wish the movies remained non canon. With BoG and RoF they should have invested that money in reinvigorating the series. Recreating those in Super was a mistake. They could have easily skipped them and just done a recap episode with some new content as the first episode, or they shouldn't have done the movies and just had those as the first two arcs, drawn much better and with a higher budget.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:20 am

omegacwa wrote: Wed Dec 31, 1969 8:02 pm

Side Bar: I don't really have interest in another movie. I'll see it for sure, but I feel the the movies for the most part are too narrow in scope and don't really progress anything.
Then you're part of the "problem."
Vote with your wallet.

Kouga

Post by Kouga » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:17 am

Toei Animation reports that the results of Dragon Ball's profits are falling and One Piece is back to overtake him. I would say "it makes no sense to produce a new TV series because Dragon Ball continues to sell anyway" is... well, bullshit.

Source: http://corp.toei-anim.co.jp/files/IR/32 ... _keisu.pdf
Dragon Ball, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and DuckTales: no matter how old I get, these three things will always be my greatest passions.
English is not my first language, have mercy! :D