"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:13 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:53 am
Lord Beerus wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:09 pm Just wanted to point out that Ryota Nakamura, who served as series director for Super when the Universal Survival arc began with Tatsuya Nagamine and then was the sole series director when Nagamine was appointed as director for DBS Broly, is an assistant director for the One Piece Stampede movie. And it was rumoured that Ryota Nakamura was going to be series the director for Super 2.0. So it's looking more and more like Super 2.0 just ain't happening or if it is, staff were pulled from the production of it to help with the One Piece Stampede movie.
I'd say if Stampede's production was a complete mess it lends credibility to the idea Super 2.0 was deep into pre-production. I highly doubt there was no truth to what Geekdom101, Ajay, etc were told. Super 2.0 was more than likely planned for a July release but that had to be pushed back. Geekdom said in his latest update he's trying to investigate what went on behind the scenes but no one is speaking up any more. But I do believe it's still coming. The higher ups at TOEI probably have a better idea now of when Super will return but have good reason for not letting the new proposed release leak. Although with Stampede out this weekend I don't think we will have too much longer to wait until it (and Super 2.0 as a whole) is public knowledge.
Someone mentioned that Ajay tweeted something about finding out that what he was told was wrong. I'm not sure if he ever elaborated on whether he meant release date or the existence of the series as a whole. Either way, we can at least rest assured that something will follow , be it a movie or a series.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:44 am

Michsi wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:13 amSomeone mentioned that Ajay tweeted something about finding out that what he was told was wrong. I'm not sure if he ever elaborated on whether he meant release date or the existence of the series as a whole. Either way, we can at least rest assured that something will follow , be it a movie or a series.
I didn't elaborate cause I'm not really sure myself. I don't really have any thoughts on this mess beyond my last statement that essentially boiled down to, "I don't know what's going on, but I'm sorry I played a part in this".

I guess I can just lay out the facts and you guys can make of it what you will:

- A European dubbing company (precise country redacted for privacy) were explicitly told by Toei that production on a new series is in the works.
- A meeting discussing a new series took place in Italy in April. They were told to prepare for an announcement in May.
- Two European VAs casually mentioned then redacted the existence of a new Super series.
- At no point were Funimation ever aware of a new series.
- Toei US denied the existence both publicly and privately to US staff.
- Toei US, Toei EU, and Toei JP are separate entities, and according to Brady Hartel from Discotek, these branches don't often communicate with one another synchronously.
- A dozen or so Toei Phils staff explicitly admitted the existence of a sequel Dragon Ball Super series. The sheer number of staff and precise details provided serve as the primary basis for the series' existence.
- Many of these staff repeatedly mentioned an air date of July and Fuji TV as the location of broadcast, though a few said that while they know of its existence, they're not sure when it'll launch.
- Their focus was always on Stampede, but depending on the Phils staff contacted, they were at different stages with regards to Super. Some had it on their calendars, while others had received production materials.
- Those with production materials specifically cited the designs being the same as the Broly movie, with many auxiliary characters falling back on Nakatsuru's DBZ designs.
- This information was procured over the course of several months, and they continued to say the same things right up until the predicted announcement. Following this, nobody seemed to know what was going on. However on July 31st 2019, after reaching out, a staff member said: "I don't know when the new series will release, but maybe next year. As far as I know, there's no Dragon Ball this year. We're making some Dragon Ball Heroes episodes, but nothing with the regular DBS series".
- Toei US stated privately that Toei Animation does not work with Toei Phils (Note: this is laughably incorrect. They work on every single episode of every single Toei show to this very day. (They even provided One Piece materials to me before an episode even aired). This absurd statement was one of the reasons why nobody really paid much attention to their denial.
- Following Super sequel claims, Masaki Sato tweeted "No way! All these questions... at this point it's industry talk and I shouldn't say more. Did something leak from somewhere? Overseas? Though I guess if it's already been revealed, it might be okay to discuss..." I DM'd him asking him to clarify if he was talking about Super, but all he said was that he'd return if he was offered an Animation Supervisor role.
- On March 20th, a Shueisha employee from the One Piece department mocked people claiming Super would return in July on their personal Twitter account. However, he was ignored as he has a history of making wild claims. His basis was that it would be too expensive to produce a movie and a new Super series within the same year... despite the fact that that's exactly what happened in 2015, and continues to happen every single year.
- On March 30th, Tu Yong-ce said he had never heard about any sort of follow-up series to Super. Tu works exclusively in the One Piece department.
- However a day later, another Toei animator (redacted for privacy) said: "I don't know anything about Dragon Ball Super's continuation, but I'm working on it :wink:"
- I was told Ryota Nakamura and Masato Mitsuka were on One Piece Stampede back on May 7th. However, Kazuya Karasawa's Twitter bio mentions "NEW WORK IN PREPARATION" for a (still!) unannounced project.
- I was told Yuya Takahashi was on One Piece Stampede back in January - he is serving as an animation supervisor.
- I was told Naoki Tate was on One Piece Stampede on May 31st.
- Animators on Stampede mentioned that the movie's schedule is very good, so claims that the movie's schedule affected Super, while not impossible, are probably misguided. That said...
- Toei have a well-documented history of postponing and/or changing projects and their formats. Some well-known examples: their anniversary project Pop in Q had its plans altered twice, Sailor Moon Crystal is in purgatory since they keep scrapping plans, a Hannah Montana anime pilot was created and then scrapped. They have a habit of putting things on the cards very early, so in a projects' infancy, things are subject to change.
- After consulting with "industry experts" from various publications like AnimeNewsNetwork and CrunchyRoll, the general consensus is that at some point, a Super series was likely set in stone for July, and then changed. Anything beyond that is far too unclear to determine based on the evidence.

I'm probably missing some stuff, but that's pretty much all the key bits of information. Bizarre situation. Whether this was all a big misunderstanding, a case of changed plans, or something else, hopefully one day we'll find out exactly what happened.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:28 pm

Ajay wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:44 am
Michsi wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:13 amSomeone mentioned that Ajay tweeted something about finding out that what he was told was wrong. I'm not sure if he ever elaborated on whether he meant release date or the existence of the series as a whole. Either way, we can at least rest assured that something will follow , be it a movie or a series.
I didn't elaborate cause I'm not really sure myself. I don't really have any thoughts on this mess beyond my last statement that essentially boiled down to, "I don't know what's going on, but I'm sorry I played a part in this".

*snip*

Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to write this down for us.

Bizarre, indeed.

For me, a key element was seeing Masaki Sato suddenly start posting a lot of DB art which made me think he was gearing up for something-then suddenly stop.

Also, for what it's worth, and I don't think you should be blamed for anything.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:34 pm

So Toei had serious plans, but now Super as TV series is probably dead.
I wonder what the reason is. Maybe Toriyama?

And what's the future of manga? I hope Toyotaro continues it. Still better than nothing.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:10 pm

Ajay wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:44 amI didn't elaborate cause I'm not really sure myself. I don't really have any thoughts on this mess beyond my last statement that essentially boiled down to, "I don't know what's going on, but I'm sorry I played a part in this".

- A European dubbing company (precise country redacted for privacy) were explicitly told by Toei that production on a new series is in the works.
- A meeting discussing a new series took place in Italy in April. They were told to prepare for an announcement in May.
- Two European VAs casually mentioned then redacted the existence of a new Super series.
- At no point were Funimation ever aware of a new series.
- Toei US denied the existence both publicly and privately to US staff.
- Toei US, Toei US, and Toei JP are separate entities, and according to Brady Hartel from Discotek, these branches don't often communicate with one another synchronously.
- A dozen or so Toei Phils staff explicitly admitted the existence of a sequel Dragon Ball Super series. The sheer number of staff and precise details provided serve as the primary basis for the series' existence.
- Many of these staff repeatedly mentioned an air date of July and Fuji TV as the location of broadcast, though a few said that while they know of its existence, they're not sure when it'll launch.
- Their focus was always on Stampede, but depending on the Phils staff contacted, they were at different stages with regards to Super. Some had it on their calendars, while others had received production materials.
- Those with production materials specifically cited the designs being the same as the Broly movie, with many auxiliary characters falling back on Nakatsuru's DBZ designs.
- This information was procured over the course of several months, and they continued to say the same things right up until the predicted announcement. Following this, nobody seemed to know what was going on. However on July 31st 2019, after reaching out, a staff member said: "I don't know when the new series will release, but maybe next year. As far as I know, there's no Dragon Ball this year. We're making some Dragon Ball Heroes episodes, but nothing with the regular DBS series".
- Toei US stated privately that Toei Animation does not work with Toei Phils (Note: this is laughably incorrect. They work on every single episode of every single Toei show to this very day. (They even provided One Piece materials to me before an episode even aired). This absurd statement was one of the reasons why nobody really paid much attention to their denial.
- Following Super sequel claims, Masaki Sato tweeted "No way! All these questions... at this point it's industry talk and I shouldn't say more. Did something leak from somewhere? Overseas? Though I guess if it's already been revealed, it might be okay to discuss..." I DM'd him asking him to clarify if he was talking about Super, but all he said was that he'd return if he was offered an Animation Supervisor role.
- On March 20th, a Shueisha employee from the One Piece department mocked people claiming Super would return in July on their personal Twitter account. However, he was ignored as he has a history of making wild claims. His basis was that it would be too expensive to produce a movie and a new Super series within the same year... despite the fact that that's exactly what happened in 2015, and continues to happen every single year.
- On March 30th, Tu Yong-ce said he had never heard about any sort of follow-up series to Super. Tu works exclusively in the One Piece department.
- However a day later, another Toei animator (redacted for privacy) said: "I don't know anything about Dragon Ball Super's continuation, but I'm working on it :wink:"
- I was told Ryota Nakamura and Masato Mitsuka were on One Piece Stampede back on May 7th. However, Kazuya Karasawa's Twitter bio mentions "NEW WORK IN PREPARATION" for a (still!) unannounced project.
- I was told Yuya Takahashi was on One Piece Stampede back in January - he is serving as an animation supervisor.
- I was told Naoki Tate was on One Piece Stampede on May 31st.
- Animators on Stampede mentioned that the movie's schedule is very good, so claims that the movie's schedule affected Super, while not impossible, are probably misguided. That said...
- Toei have a well-documented history of postponing and/or changing projects and their formats. Some well-known examples: their anniversary project Pop in Q had its plans altered twice, Sailor Moon Crystal is in purgatory since they keep scrapping plans, a Hannah Montana anime pilot was created and then scrapped. They have a habit of putting things on the cards very early, so in a projects' infancy, things are subject to change.
- After consulting with "industry experts" from various publications like AnimeNewsNetwork and CrunchyRoll, the general consensus is that at some point, a Super series was likely set in stone for July, and then changed. Anything beyond that is far too unclear to determine based on the evidence.

I'm probably missing some stuff, but that's pretty much all the key bits of information. Bizarre situation. Whether this was all a big misunderstanding, a case of changed plans, or something else, hopefully one day we'll find out exactly what happened.
Thank you for clearing all this up Ajay :thumbup: .

It's all fascinating stuff, and I too hope we will one day find out what went down.

And definitely don't take any blame, its not like you broke any NDAs or anything.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:41 pm

Sani007 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:34 pm So Toei had serious plans, but now Super as TV series is probably dead.
idk how anyone could read aj's post and get that from it

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:07 pm

Terez wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:41 pm
Sani007 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:34 pm So Toei had serious plans, but now Super as TV series is probably dead.
"However on July 31st 2019, after reaching out, a staff member said: "I don't know when the new series will release, but maybe next year. As far as I know, there's no Dragon Ball this year. We're making some Dragon Ball Heroes episodes, but nothing with the regular DBS series"

Previously the July premiere was sure. Now 2020 isn't certain either.
I wouldn't call this a live project. But I hope I'm a pessimist now.

And thanks for your translations. :)
Last edited by Sani007 on Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:11 pm

Sani007 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:07 pm
Terez wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:41 pm
"However on July 31st 2019, after reaching out, a staff member said: "I don't know when the new series will release, but maybe next year. As far as I know, there's no Dragon Ball this year. We're making some Dragon Ball Heroes episodes, but nothing with the regular DBS series"

Previously, the July premiere was sure. Now, 2020 isn't certain either.
I wouldn't call this a live project. But I hope I'm a pessimist now.
That's just one staff person, though. I know the identity of the person who said that. They have worked on modern DB a bit, but you wouldn't recognize their name. Probably no one here would aside from the others who know their identity. You have to take their statement in context with everything else.
Sani007 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:07 pm And thanks for your translations. :)
You're welcome, but I'm not the translator. For that, you can thank Cipher, sailorspazz, and Herms.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:15 pm

Terez wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:41 pm idk how anyone could read aj's post and get that from it
People have been misreading into things Ajay has said for like five months now, doesn't seem surprising to me. First he was lying, then he was lied to, then the people he got his information from were lied to...I dunno what it is with this fanbase and conspiracy theories right now, I was on the "something probably changed on the production side of things and we'll see it later" train back in like, May.

The most interesting tidbit there is the reuse of Nakatsuru designs for other characters, though. Is Shintani not doing many new ones himself, or...? I know Yammy's 2013 movie designs were reused for a lot of the Super 1.0 cast, but those were at least the same style from the same era.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:31 pm

Shaddy wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:15 pm
Terez wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:41 pm idk how anyone could read aj's post and get that from it
People have been misreading into things Ajay has said for like five months now, doesn't seem surprising to me. First he was lying, then he was lied to, then the people he got his information from were lied to...I dunno what it is with this fanbase and conspiracy theories right now, I was on the "something probably changed on the production side of things and we'll see it later" train back in like, May.

The most interesting tidbit there is the reuse of Nakatsuru designs for other characters, though. Is Shintani not doing many new ones himself, or...? I know Yammy's 2013 movie designs were reused for a lot of the Super 1.0 cast, but those were at least the same style from the same era.
I don't think you thought me, but I never said or thought that.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:02 pm

How and where you read that is totally beyond me.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:25 pm

Well damn. That answers everything.
Ajay wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:44 am a Hannah Montana anime pilot was created and then scrapped.
???
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:19 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:25 pm Well damn. That answers everything.
Ajay wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:44 am a Hannah Montana anime pilot was created and then scrapped.
???
Not everything.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:16 pm

Ajay wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:44 ama Hannah Montana anime pilot was created and then scrapped.
...Excuse me? :lol:

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:08 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:16 pm
Ajay wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:44 ama Hannah Montana anime pilot was created and then scrapped.
Happy reading - https://lostmediawiki.com/Hannah_Montan ... 2009-2010)

Shida also mentioned it recently - https://twitter.com/naoV47/status/967439572668837888
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:20 pm

Sani007 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:38 pm
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:06 pm but their plans changed and they are working on movies for now.
It would be a waste from Toei, if they wouldn't make anime from the popular on-going manga.
Yeah it would be, but we know they have something in the works because they told multiple credible sources that they expected to have episodes ready for release this summer, but that time frame wasn't set in stone and it's obviously changed. Considering they were expecting a release this summer, I'm guessing we'll at the very least get an announcement from them about new episodes before the end of the year.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:28 pm

What happened to the upcoming movie during all of this?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:31 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:16 pm
My reaction exactly. At least one funny (?) thing came out of all this mess. :lol:
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:21 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:28 pm What happened to the upcoming movie during all of this?
All we had on that was a producer saying it's gonna happen eventually. No sort of official announcement or anything.

But jeez, what a huge mess. I don't believe it was a misunderstanding, considering all the different parts involved, but likely a change of plans. Maybe Toriyama asked for more time? Who knows at this point. Although with important names like Nakamura and Takahashi being heavily involved on Stampede, it gives the impression July wouldn't realistically work for Super.

And it's interesting to know that Stampede had a safe schedule, considering we barely got a full trailer. We're just now getting to see decent pieces of animation being advertised, this close to the release date. Not long ago I was almost fearing a repeat of the Alabasta movie situation, which the older OP fanbase must remember.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:35 pm

Lol this change of plans thing still doing the rounds? Anything to help people sleep at night I guess...

Come 2021 if we still have no DBS then what? What's the excuse gonna be then?

Bottom line the only official words we have had are about movies, we should treat this whole DBS 2.0 as a myth. After all this I am amazed people still wanna give these non official people the benefit of the doubt.