"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Skar
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Skar » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:49 am

It sounds like he's not entirely sure what's coming next so I think it depends on Toriyama. We always hear "Dragonball will continue as long as it's making money!" but the same could be said about literally any successful franchise. A lot get milked past their prime but some end on a high note with a decent conclusion. I'm hoping Toriyama decides to have one finale movie :thumbup: .

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:14 pm

Skar wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:49 amIt sounds like he's not entirely sure what's coming next so I think it depends on Toriyama. We always hear "Dragonball will continue as long as it's making money!" but the same could be said about literally any successful franchise.
The issue isn't with new content, it's that they're just doing the same thing they did in the past.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:20 pm

They should raise the stakes. Have a war with the Gods or whoever. Kill of some background characters for good with a valiant death for a few beloved ones. Increase the tension. Get off this stupid 10 year gap.

But they won't. But that would be a great way to end Dragonball. A final war with a few major battles, strategizing, roles defined for members of the Z army, etc.

That would make an interesting movie or better yet an arc.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:29 pm

Alruneia wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:01 am
So they're in the "preparation stage" for another movie? That could mean anything from "Toriyama's writing the script right now and we're doing some storyboarding" to "Well, we want to make a movie and we're trying to come up with some ideas", and based on the wording in that translation I'm leaning towards it being closer to the latter. If that's really the stage they're at, well... I don't see it being a 2019 release. If this is the route they want to take, with movies every couple of years or so, they should at least have a seasonal anime along with it. Dragon Ball fans are hungry people.
Agreed. And I hope that's what it is.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:50 pm

Michsi wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:55 am I'd be somewhat disappointed if it turned out to be just a movie since they are very limiting in terms of stories, but I did claim about a year ago that continuing the movie would be financially better. As expensive as a movie like Broly can be a series costs a lot more and looking at the reports taking Super off the air and focusing on the movie didn't stop the merch sales at all.
DBS was at it's most successful off air, the movie rode that & had the benefit of box office receipts too even beyond BO takings folks had to pay up if they wanted the movie booklet (& other goods) too so the true success of Broly in Japan we'll probably never know! The home video is being released in most countries, China just had their release, the movie Ichiban Kuji is being re-released this week! Like damn this movie was successful in so many ways and all without a current show on the air.

You are right about production costs of a weekly tv show that is what I have been saying too. There is no guarantee DB is dramatically gonna start making more money if DBS is on the air again.

Personally I am happy with another movie. A TV show requires too much investment both monetary and time wise plus I don't wanna deal with this f**king fanbase blowing up on minor details of info again like every godamn week and then the tonnes of people that will hate watch the show and bring in their unneeded negativity. Then you'll have even more clickbairty vids and articles, misinformation spreading etc. Wayyyy too much to deal with. Broly was rather easy in the end to avoid all that shit and I went in knowing literally nothing, so yeah I am game for another movie absolutely.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:06 pm

sintzu wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:14 pmThe issue isn't with new content, it's that they're just doing the same thing they did in the past.
Unfortunately I think this is usually the case when bringing back an old series that ended years ago. There's going to be some new content but it's mainly going to be a nostalgia trip. At the end of every saga, I hear fans wishing the next will move past EoZ, involve the next generation, raise the stakes, etc but then the following saga is revealed to still take place a short while later. After seven storylines crammed within this timeskip, it's becoming less likely it's ever going to more than an interquel. Toriyama already explained why he chose this time period back when BoG was released and it looks like that still holds true.

I would prefer it ends with a decent conclusion than getting more ridiculous or forced the longer it continues. We have characters that are powerful enough to destroy universes and almost every hair color has been covered so I'm not too excited to see a SSJUI or rainbow-color form or Goku getting strong enough to destroy the multiverse. I think the story that began in BoG sorta comes full circle with Goku mastering UI and surpassing Beerus.

anubisj
Beyond Newbie

Post by anubisj » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:10 pm

@Baggie_Saiyan

I respect your opinion, you prefer a db movie to a db show, but I don´t really get the reasoning behind "let´s have a movie so that the db fanbase can´t criticize it, like it would a tv show". Are you actually saying that, or did I get that wrong?

I think I have the right to say what I like and don´t like about a db show (or a movie, for that matter), and if the negative stuff outweighs the positive stuff, I should be able to express it, as long as I do it with respect; I would say that´s partly the purpose of this forum, actually.

Anyways, if we are getting another movie, I hope an anime series is not far behind, and I hope they don´t rehash characters, locations, plotlines, etc. Please, Toei, make some awesome new designs for villains or possible allies (or both, as it tends to happen in db)!

For starters, less Frieza would be nice. I think db is having a Frieza overdose.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:50 pm

anubisj wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:10 pm For starters, less Frieza would be nice. I think db is having a Frieza overdose.
I really want them to kill Freeza off for good. So sick of seeing him; he's reduced to a Skeletor type of villain "grr I'll get you next time now I'm going back to my evil lair!"

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:58 pm

A new movie? I hope to see something about yamoshi/cumber or about UI vegeta.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:13 pm

Just a movie? Unfortunately, that's a bad news for me.
Dragon Ball Super TV series is dead.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:15 pm

Gt91 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:58 pm A new movie? I hope to see something about yamoshi/cumber or about UI vegeta.
I hope to god we don't see Yamoshi or Cumber as we've had enough Saiyans for now. This movie needs something different and original. In terms of Vegeta, I don't think they're giving him UI as he said in both the anime and manga that he wants something different.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:41 pm

Just so you guys know...

“Making preparations” for a movie doesn’t mean 2uper isn’t happening as a TV series, lol.

Making preparations doesn’t mean they’ve started WORKING on a movie. It means they are planning everything to start working on a movie.

And with all the info we have from animators and other sources that preproduction for 2uper started some time ago, this movie “announcement” (if you’d even call it that) does not debunk 2uper in anyway.

None of this news means that the DB anime will continue only in movie format.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:58 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:41 pm
Well, yes, that is true, but this piece of news is currently the only public information we have from an official source regarding the franchise so naturally people will speculate on why we hear about a movie that is just being planned while same source is denying the existence of the series.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:02 pm

Michsi wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:58 pm
AnimeNation101 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:41 pm
Well, yes, that is true, but this piece of news is currently the only public information we have from an official source regarding the franchise so naturally people will speculate on why we hear about a movie that is just being planned while same source is denying the existence of the series.
A very legitimate and, dare I say, VALID counterpoint with no hate or shade thrown. I respect and agree with this point. Carry on.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:07 pm

I wonder if the plan going forward is to do movies every couple years while the DBS manga covers the storylines taking place in between the films, and the manga will just skip over the movies while still acknowledging that they happened in the same way it treated DBS: Broly.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:12 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:07 pm I wonder if the plan going forward is to do movies every couple years while the DBS manga covers the storylines taking place in between the films, and the manga will just skip over the movies while still acknowledging that they happened in the same way it treated DBS: Broly.
This would probably be better than retelling the same story several times, but it also makes the series a bit harder to follow.
Not to mention, we don't really know if the storyline from DBS Broly will affect the series in the long run. The same could be said by the current manga arc: so far there are no real signs that it will be a stand-alone story or if it will affect the bigger picture of the series.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:23 pm

Gt91 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:58 pm A new movie? I hope to see something about yamoshi/cumber or about UI vegeta.
Please no. Thats the last thing we need.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:30 pm

I bet the Moro saga from the Manga will get adapted into a movie.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:40 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:30 pm I bet the Moro saga from the Manga will get adapted into a movie.
Having a movie cover an already made story doesn’t seem like a good move. There is much less of an incentive to watch it if you already know what happens. With a tv series, even if you know what happens, its still free entertainment. I’m the movie’s case, you’d be paying to see something only for the animation as you’ve already seen the story. Hell, since its a movie, the plot may even be a watered down version of the OG Moro arc.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:57 pm

I would only be interested in a sadala arc or travel to other universes, I am no longer interested in the epilogue really it