"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by emperior » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:21 am

mute_proxy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:10 am
sangofe wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:57 am
Where did you read the rumour about the next arc and what did it say?
It's a tweet by Geekdom101 saying that the next arc will be very fanservicey. As Geekdom notes: You know me, you know this by now my sources are totally legit, I don't do fake news, you can trust me and what not, very legit.
I find the Geekdom slander totally out of place right now considering he’s said to take this with a grain of salt.
Even if this rumor is fake, it’s still something we can discuss about and speculate.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:39 am

It's a tweet by Geekdom101 saying that the next arc will be very fanservicey. As Geekdom notes: You know me, you know this by now my sources are totally legit, I don't do fake news, you can trust me and what not, very legit.
So no sources and no real information.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:43 am

emperior wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:21 am
I find the Geekdom slander totally out of place right now considering he’s said to take this with a grain of salt.
Even if this rumor is fake, it’s still something we can discuss about and speculate.
I know I know, I was just kidding. Here's an idea, they connect GT with Super similarly like they did in DBHeroes, another dimension/timeline/future, where GT events happened without Super, making everything canon at once lol

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:01 am

mute_proxy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:43 amHere's an idea, they connect GT with Super similarly like they did in DBHeroes, another dimension/timeline/future, where GT events happened without Super, making everything canon at once lol
Isn't that the case already?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:04 am

Grimlock wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:01 am
mute_proxy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:43 amHere's an idea, they connect GT with Super similarly like they did in DBHeroes, another dimension/timeline/future, where GT events happened without Super, making everything canon at once lol
Isn't that the case already?
Nope, it's the case in the DBHeroes anime, GT isn't part of the Super story, but it could be :lol:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:13 am

mute_proxy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:04 amNope, it's the case in the DBHeroes anime, GT isn't part of the Super story, but it could be :lol:
Dragon Ball Heroes did not connect Dragon Ball GT to Dragon Ball Super though. It just showed on-screen what is already established: Dragon Ball GT takes place in an alternate dimension. Xeno Goku himself stated that he is from another dimension.

If in the series the characters meet the ones from GT, it won't necessarily mean that GT is connected the way you are implying here.

~ Day of the Machines ~

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:20 am

Grimlock wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:13 am
mute_proxy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:04 amNope, it's the case in the DBHeroes anime, GT isn't part of the Super story, but it could be :lol:
Dragon Ball Heroes did not connect Dragon Ball GT to Dragon Ball Super though. It just showed on-screen what is already established: Dragon Ball GT takes place in an alternate dimension. Xeno Goku himself stated that he is from another dimension.

If in the series the characters meet the ones from GT, it won't necessarily mean that GT is connected the way you are implying here.
That was never established before, it was just a simple implication, and no, Toriyama's personal view on the series is not established lore. And you're arguing my idea, yes, it would necessarily connect GT that way, because I thought it so :lolno:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:03 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:20 amThat was never established before, it was just a simple implication, and no, Toriyama's personal view on the series is not established lore. And you're arguing my idea, yes, it would necessarily connect GT that way, because I thought it so :lolno:
The alternate dimension concept is an established lore. It wouldn't though. The possibility of characters meeting their counterparts doesn't mean one is the future of the other. Though Dragon Ball GT takes place after Dragon Ball Super, this is not a matter of time travel, and so they are not connected as a follow-up series.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:35 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:43 am
emperior wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:21 am

I know I know, I was just kidding. Here's an idea, they connect GT with Super similarly like they did in DBHeroes, another dimension/timeline/future, where GT events happened without Super, making everything canon at once lol
I start thought about that at first and do not mind the idea as in xenoverse, maybe should interesting
but after the Zamasu Arc, now it has no purpose.

-----------------------

and if we have another son of goku or future descendant?

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:57 pm

I'm wondering what kind of fan service the next saga could offer that we haven't seen already in DBS. We've had the return of Future Trunks, an evil Goku, Freeza coming back for revenge a 2nd and 3rd time and team-up with the Z fighters, a nice guy Broly more powerful than every other version of the character, a gender bent Broly, Bardock, Vegetto, Gogeta, the human Z fighters getting to fight again, a stronger #17, Gohan training again, and callbacks to every iconic moment from the original series. Heroes and the video games have covered all the other fan service like SSJ transformations, for almost every Saiyan character, reappearance of almost other villain, new fusions, SSJ4 vs SSJB, etc. What's left??

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:47 pm

Skar wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:57 pm I'm wondering what kind of fan service the next saga could offer that we haven't seen already in DBS. We've had the return of Future Trunks, an evil Goku, Freeza coming back for revenge a 2nd and 3rd time and team-up with the Z fighters, a nice guy Broly more powerful than every other version of the character, a gender bent Broly, Bardock, Vegetto, Gogeta, the human Z fighters getting to fight again, a stronger #17, Gohan training again, and callbacks to every iconic moment from the original series. Heroes and the video games have covered all the other fan service like SSJ transformations, for almost every Saiyan character, reappearance of almost other villain, new fusions, SSJ4 vs SSJB, etc. What's left??
That’s what I was wondering myself. They have given fans basically everything they were asking for.
What’s truly left is for them to canonise SSJ4 and other Z Movie villains.
But I hope that this time around fanservice will actually be something more complex and less about stupid pandering which I am beginning to find quite offending as a fan.
Maybe they are “listening” to fan wishes, such as having Sadala arc, introducing Zalama, having a Goku vs Beerus rematch, exploring other universes, showing Yamoshi’s story, finally going after EoZ so we can have Uub etcetera, so basically it would be fanservice regarding what’s happened in the 131 episodes of Super and not based on Dragon Ball Z.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:46 pm

emperior wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:47 pm
Skar wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:57 pm I'm wondering what kind of fan service the next saga could offer that we haven't seen already in DBS. We've had the return of Future Trunks, an evil Goku, Freeza coming back for revenge a 2nd and 3rd time and team-up with the Z fighters, a nice guy Broly more powerful than every other version of the character, a gender bent Broly, Bardock, Vegetto, Gogeta, the human Z fighters getting to fight again, a stronger #17, Gohan training again, and callbacks to every iconic moment from the original series. Heroes and the video games have covered all the other fan service like SSJ transformations, for almost every Saiyan character, reappearance of almost other villain, new fusions, SSJ4 vs SSJB, etc. What's left??
That’s what I was wondering myself. They have given fans basically everything they were asking for.
What’s truly left is for them to canonise SSJ4 and other Z Movie villains.
But I hope that this time around fanservice will actually be something more complex and less about stupid pandering which I am beginning to find quite offending as a fan.
Maybe they are “listening” to fan wishes, such as having Sadala arc, introducing Zalama, having a Goku vs Beerus rematch, exploring other universes, showing Yamoshi’s story, finally going after EoZ so we can have Uub etcetera, so basically it would be fanservice regarding what’s happened in the 131 episodes of Super and not based on Dragon Ball Z.
There’s cheap fanservice (Broly, fusions, more transformations, rebooted movie villains) and then there’s logical fanservice (what you basically want).

I also want logical fanservice. I’m questioning whether Shueisha knows of the amount of logical fanservice it can provide rather than the same cheap fanservice.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:03 pm

If Broly is going to be a part of the series going forward, likely a canonized Karoly. Which would be interesting. Other than that, they can always reference old material and moments

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:39 pm

MKCSTEALTH wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:03 pm
If Broly is going to be a part of the series going forward, likely a canonized Karoly. Which would be interesting. Other than that, they can always reference old material and moments
I'm sorry, I know this is off topic but...Is that a Bugs Bunny on roids sleeping Vegeta in your avy? :lol:

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by theTUN » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:09 pm

Honestly wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just referring to Daikaioh coming back.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:47 pm

theTUN wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:09 pm Honestly wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just referring to Daikaioh coming back.
Thats not “super fancervicy”. No one really cares about him. Also the rumor says that the arc AFTER the Moro arc. If the Daikaioshin were to come back, it would be in the Moro arc.
MKCSTEALTH wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:03 pm
]
I doubt they’re gonna start taking from a DB 3DS game. Also, no one wants Karoly or has shown any want for him so i doubt they’d do it. And it probably wouldn’t be “interesting” either. Just like how every other fusion isn’t interesting. All it is is cool for the spectacle.

Hell, Karoly would bring nothing to the table personality wise either. Broly is a Tarzan type character with, besides his ignorance, his only defining trait being that he likes to protect his friends.

Unlike Vegeta or Gohan who has a personality different enough from Goku, Broly is basically Goku but less upbeat and less fight-hungry. Karoly would literally either have the personality of Goku or they would slap on the default “cocky fusion” personality.

Also, it seems really out of character for Goku to just be deciding to fuse so often. He would have fused in the FT arc, then Broly, and then the arc after Moro? That’s very repetitive. Karoly is one thing I hope stays in the games.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:26 pm

Maybe its a beach arc, the gang is going to a beach resort and we'll get a lot of female body fanservice from chichi, bulma, etc and maybe the universe 6 saiyans can come too? :P

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:13 pm

...so the main thing to take away from this is that we all have different opinions on what the term "fanservice" means. That's good, honestly, but it also makes it hard to know exactly what that tweet is referring to. It could be anything from going past EoZ to travelling to Planet Sadla to Gohan gaining Super Saiyan God to a bunch of beach episodes. Where in these four examples you'd draw the line between fanservice and non-fanservice varies from person to person (though I expect most people would agree the last two would definitely be fanservice).
Geekdom also says in the tweet that it's just a rumour, though. And it's a bit early for this kind of thing when we're still waiting for an official announcement (unless the rumour is referring to the manga, of course, which sounds somewhat unlikely considering where it is in the Moro arc at the moment) in my opinion. So it's whatever.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:45 pm

Because it varies wildly from person to person, "fan-service" is one of the worst descriptions one could use for foreshadowing something Dragon Ball related; unless the plan was to be necessarily vague on purpose.

In almost any other anime series it almost always means near-nudity. Here though, I'm more likely to think it means power levels and more milking nostalgia instead of trying something new with the plot/characters/world.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:00 pm

I was joking btw XD

I hope Toei stops being so secretive and announces the return of Super soon.