"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:04 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:05 am I feel like I'm the only one who really doesn't care if DBS doesn't come back. It'll just be more of the time stagant storytelling with no actual growth, and likely retell the Broly movie with worse animation which was the biggest plus for that movie anyway.
I really do not know if you really wait for them to answer you, If someone participates in find this specific "topic" is because most expect the return of DBS Series.

Clear that each one in its own way. if some people do not care this probably are not even interested in participating in the subject.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:50 am

Wow, Geekdom's recent video is apologetic and embarasing egotrip... I stopped watching halfway trough.

I see Super as a fanservicey nostalgia trip of what happened during the 10 years gap inbetween Buu arc and prologue and that's it.
There were more arcs and characters grew in power being the same characters we know.

I would love for Dragon Ball to return, but not as a Super. Super was great sequel to Z, to bridge the gap and ad more adventure for our children hearts from back in the day, but I want to see this series to progress. It was like Star Wars prequels, when you watch a new movie, but you know that it will end with Empire overthrowing the Republic and end with killing Emperor and destroying Death Star.

Saint Seiya is in the same area right now, with bunch of spin-offs that aren't much interesting and the sequel actually goes back...
Man, Saint Seiya ended in really bad shape :(

I wanna see something new and ad Uub to the mix :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:26 am

Araki wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:33 am
Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:49 pm The characters look and act exactly the same from DBS episode 1 to DBS episode 131. Not really growth at all, considering this series in the past constantly had growth and the characters changing.
Changes and character development aren't the same thing, though. A series like One Piece has solid character development and yet the core characters still act basically the same, almost a thousand chapters later, and only went through one single design change over 22 years. They don't need to go through any other radical change to reflect that.
Anyway, Goku's cycle of development pretty much ended after he grew up, came back from Kami's place and let Piccolo go. He has been at his core the same guy ever since. What we've gotten after that are just small glimpses of development, like realizing Gohan wasn't a natural born fighter. Or even in Super, when he was reflecting about being a grandpa, for instance.
I was mostly referring to the complete lack of aging. Toei refuses to go beyond End of Z for some asinine reason.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:55 am

Movies > weekly tv series. I'm all for it. I'd rather wait for quality content instead of being delivered QUALITY content on a weekly basis.

Just please... pleeeeaaaasssseee don't let nostalgia be a driving force for these movies. I want something new.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:00 am

I do hope the next film isn't a major downgrade in terms of staffing and production schedule. I would certainly be up for a Pocket Monster: Sun & Moon, Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon or Slow Start-style movie, though.

I do hope we get a new series, though. I feel like there's more room for experimentation there.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:13 am

Watch them just bring back Cell or make Cooler canon.

I’d love to see the reactions to that

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:18 am

mfwlegend3 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:55 amJust please... pleeeeaaaasssseee don't let nostalgia be a driving force for these movies. I want something new.
Broly made more than BOG and RF put together so I highly doubt they won't do something nostalgic. Broly's massive success has shown them that fans simply want more of the same which is what we'll most likely get. It's only a matter of time before Cell and Cooler are back and if I had to bet on it I'd say the next movie will be about one of them.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:19 am

I enjoy following along a weekly series with everyone; I feel like it's more exciting and there's more camaraderie than there is with a movie, but I'd be ok if they just do movies instead because there's less commitment and until I get certain things settled or at least in a more stable place. I'd rather wait to dive back into the weekly grind of making sure I get to watch it in time at that semi-inconvenient time my time zone followed by the two hours required to get the time-sensitive episode-related fan art I'd want to draw drawn/edited/posted.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy doing it, but I need to temporally shift some of my focus elsewhere due to rl circumstances.

So yeah, in theory I'd prefer a series, but another movie would be way easier for me right now. My opinion could change after a strong positive rl change, but that's where I am right now.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:28 am

Just change Goku and Vegeta's outfits already.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:53 am

Can’t say I’m excited for the idea of movies instead of a show. Yes, there’s more of a guarantee of good production quality, but I’d like to see what a TV show would actually look like with a good schedule and character designs.

Secondly, I feel like there’s more scope for what you can do in a TV version. As good as Broly was, it didn’t really push the envelope outside of the visuals. I’m not keen on more movies if they’re just going to be more standalone “Goku and Vegeta go to the place and fight the guy.”

We'll see. People are saying SDCC will be where we find out what the future holds.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:55 am

I'd be somewhat disappointed if it turned out to be just a movie since they are very limiting in terms of stories, but I did claim about a year ago that continuing the movie would be financially better. As expensive as a movie like Broly can be a series costs a lot more and looking at the reports taking Super off the air and focusing on the movie didn't stop the merch sales at all.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:01 am

So they're in the "preparation stage" for another movie? That could mean anything from "Toriyama's writing the script right now and we're doing some storyboarding" to "Well, we want to make a movie and we're trying to come up with some ideas", and based on the wording in that translation I'm leaning towards it being closer to the latter. If that's really the stage they're at, well... I don't see it being a 2019 release. If this is the route they want to take, with movies every couple of years or so, they should at least have a seasonal anime along with it. Dragon Ball fans are hungry people.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

SaiyanTarzan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SaiyanTarzan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:08 am

I hate to say "I told you so" but... yeah. I'm sure the tv show format may come back in time but right now I don't think they don't want to burn themselves out on a weekly tv series. Plus if the movie format continues they could possibly build up Dragon Ball as an Marvelesque blockbusters, the Broly movie is proof that with good marketing and all that that they can make tons of money, 100 million is huge for Dragon Ball and if this train continues we could have Dragon Ball films becoming major releases in the US with much longer in theaters.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:10 am

Seasonal DBS anime would be for the best. Look at AOT or MHA, both which have fantastic adaptions that hold up visually throughout and don’t have 10 straight filler episodes in between arcs (in b4 ThERe iS No FiLLeR foR DbS)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:16 am

If the movie looks good, is written well and has a creative mentality of moving the current time period Super beyond the 10 year gap, I'm all for it.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:34 am

If it doesnt go beyond EOZ and/or features just Goku and Vegeta again, I'll probably skip this one like I skipped Broly.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:41 am

Damn movies.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:42 am

Another movie? Exciting I guess. I wonder who Goku and Vegeta will fight this time? Another rehashed old villain? Or someone new? Maybe add Broly to the mix of protagonists to add more to the colorful saiyan lore and transformations? I'm on the edge of my seat....

Sigh...
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

louisascommie
Beyond Newbie

Post by louisascommie » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:48 am

not really a fan of movies

can't do an arc in 2 hours