"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Gokitalo » Wed May 15, 2019 6:26 pm

sintzu wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:40 pm Although 2uper is going to happen sooner or later, maybe Toei and everyone else involved decided it might be best for the franchise to take breaks every few years to avoid franchise fatigue. Super 0.1 is still getting new dubbed episodes internationally and is overall still fresh in fans' minds. Maybe they want to wait until it's finished internationally and fans are truly ready for something new instead of rushing it out whenfans are just getting used to 0.1 being a thing.
I mean, it's possible, but I do think they could've used the momentum generated by Dragon Ball Super: Broly to their advantage. But well, if they're taking their time to make sure the new episodes are the best they can be, I'm willing to wait.

SaiyanTarzan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SaiyanTarzan » Wed May 15, 2019 7:14 pm

sintzu wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:40 pm Although 2uper is going to happen sooner or later, maybe Toei and everyone else involved decided it might be best for the franchise to take breaks every few years to avoid franchise fatigue. Super 0.1 is still getting new dubbed episodes internationally and is overall still fresh in fans' minds. Maybe they want to wait until it's finished internationally and fans are truly ready for something new instead of rushing it out whenfans are just getting used to 0.1 being a thing.
What we know for sure is Toriyama is working on something, what that is we really don't know, is it a manga thing? A movie thing? Anime thing? We truly do not know but thats something we can say with confidence that he's working on something

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:24 pm

SaiyanTarzan wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:14 pm
What we know for sure is Toriyama is working on something, what that is we really don't know, is it a manga thing? A movie thing? Anime thing? We truly do not know but thats something we can say with confidence that he's working on something
Its the Dancing Para Para Brothers becoming Great Saiyaman's arch-foes! Even Saiyawoman becomes ensnared by their diabolical dance routines! But, hope returns when Great Saiyagirl knocks the brothers over and breaks their foul boombox of doom! Showing the world is in good hands for the next generation of heroes!

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Wed May 15, 2019 10:58 pm

I never wanted to consider the DUB being the fault for Super's hiatus. If it is then it's all [Adult Swim]'s fault.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Thu May 16, 2019 12:33 am

louisascommie wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:32 pm Ajay and Yonko are fine people as far as I know

I don't like geekdom for his right wing anti sjw anti feminist jokes ripped straight out of 2013. that shit is most prevalent on his world of geekdom channel
To be perfectly fair, it doesn't take a right winger to bash feminists and sjws, but I digress

As foe Geekdom, he seems fine to me. He reacts with hostility when people accuse him of having bad credibility, but IMO it only shows how important his credobility is to him. He probably worked for years to get where he is now, and people generally like to think their hard work is meaningful - otherwise it leads to heavy frustration or even depression.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu May 16, 2019 4:30 am

This franchise fatigue theory sounds dumb, no offence.
If this was the case they wouldn’t have been airing One Piece non stop for so many years.
And Super has barely been on TV for 3 years. That’s not much. Not when the original run from DB to DBGT lasted for many more years.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu May 16, 2019 4:33 am

emperior wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:30 am This franchise fatigue theory sounds dumb, no offence.
If this was the case they wouldn’t have been airing One Piece non stop for so many years.
And Super has barely been on TV for 3 years. That’s not much. Not when the original run from DB to DBGT lasted for many more years.
One of the main reasons the original run came to an end was due to franchise fatigue. Just because One Piece can go on for 20+ years doesn't mean everything can. Of course 3 or even 5 years isn't long enough for that to happen but they may want to be on the safe side and not do too much all at once. The longer Super is off the air, the higher its anticipation will be.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu May 16, 2019 4:39 am

sintzu wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:33 am
emperior wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:30 am This franchise fatigue theory sounds dumb, no offence.
One of the main reasons the original run came to an end was due to franchise fatigue. Just because One Piece can go on for 20+ years doesn't mean everything can. Of course 3 or even 5 years isn't long enough for that to happen but they may want to be on the safe side and not do too much all at once. The longer Super is off the air, the higher its anticipation will be.
I don’t think they would go for the “safer” approach when Super was pulling them higher numbers in terms of franchise sales year by year with no signs of slowing down.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu May 16, 2019 4:43 am

emperior wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:39 amI don’t think they would go for the “safer” approach when Super was pulling them higher numbers in terms of franchise sales year by year with no signs of slowing down.
So was the original run, but once it went on for as long as it did, that money stopped coming in the way it was when the original run was at its peak.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu May 16, 2019 4:48 am

sintzu wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:33 am
Well, Shueisha wasn't planning that DB will end with Buu, but Toriyama did and asked Shueisha for permision as he was exhausted after 15 years of nonstop serialization. Must be hard job, as Saint Seiya author Masami Kurumada has ill hand that hurts him a lot from years of working on different mangas. And DBGT was not much popular in Japan, but I don't think it was a fatigue, people just didn't like the original story not coming from the manga. Dragon Ball Final Bout on PS1 was probably a last Dragon Ball thing coming out? Except for some annual nostalgia releases and data books?
On side note, people here probably didn't knew the Dragon Ball Z Gaiden and NES games, but I wonder how did Japanese fans regarded Baby arc being rehash of Plan To Destroy Saiyans.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu May 16, 2019 4:57 am

One Piece is the most popular anime and manga series of all time and it hasn't lost it's momentume, as Eichiro Oda is still going and haven't stopped since. So it is not fair to compare it with Dragon Ball, which ended in 95, series lost popularity during GT and ended in 97.
Yeah, it is one of the most popular series of all time as well, but it ended and lost the momentum, which came only thanks to the USA air run with newly created market for DB games to acompany the series. At that time, I don't recall Dragon Ball being popular in Japan, the games were released there, later the Dragon Box came out and it only catered to fans of the original run based on nostalgia mostly, sometimes, Hironobu Kageyama was as a guest in some Good Morning show or the actors were part of some quiz.¨
Then the anniversary came, with short Jump Fest movie and Kai and thanks to one really bad movie, Toriyama got pissed and worked on a movie script, which sparked the movie series, later turned to Super.
As popular as Dragon Ball series is, it is a legacy series and you can't take it for granted, just because it got revived 15 years after it's original run. Being a fan since the original run here in Europe at the break of 90's/00's, I consider it miracle, that Dragon Ball has a new sequels and video games coming out and lot of new fans.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu May 16, 2019 5:15 am

MCDaveG wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:57 amBeing a fan since the original run here in Europe at the break of 90's/00's, I consider it miracle, that Dragon Ball has a new sequels and video games coming out and lot of new fans.
I remember during the mid 2000's the idea of anything new apart from video games was just wishful thinking. Even after the OVAs started coming out, something major was still considered nearly impossible as so much time had passed since the original manga and GT ended. If you brought up Toriyama coming back, fans would think you were crazy.

As someone who remembers those times, I think old fans and new ones who didn't live in that period are very lucky to be getting new content on a regular basis as the closest thing we had back then was moving on to other similar shows in hopes of them capturing the same feel of DB.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu May 16, 2019 5:31 am

sintzu wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:15 am
MCDaveG wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:57 amBeing a fan since the original run here in Europe at the break of 90's/00's, I consider it miracle, that Dragon Ball has a new sequels and video games coming out and lot of new fans.
I remember during the mid 2000's the idea of anything new apart from video games was just wishful thinking. Even after the OVAs started coming out, something major was still considered nearly impossible as so much time had passed since the original manga and GT ended. If you brought up Toriyama coming back, fans would think you were crazy.

As someone who remembers those times, I think old fans and new ones who didn't live in that period are very lucky to be getting new content on a regular basis as the closest thing we had back then was moving on to other similar shows in hopes of them capturing the same feel of DB.
Yeah, that is why I thought it is important to bring this here, because lot of new or current fans are basing their assumptions on how things work with new series and franchises, but do not know or remember, that this series never was a Super Sentai show with each year having a new theme or One Piece, which started in 1999 and still running without hiatus. Tough other series, being Dragon Ball's succesors in Jump, haven't had this kind of treatment and popularity. One Piece is One Piece, but remember Yu Yu Hakusho? It ended and faded away, there is some prequel in the works tough, catering on nostalgia. Bleach... ended, faded. Naruto, ended and from what I gather, is probably popular in west as new games are pouring out but it is pretty much done in Japan, as the Boruto series starts to meet a DBGT fate - manga sales are decreasing with each volume and haven't won any popularity poll and the anime has average viewership, despite wiki articles praising it.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu May 16, 2019 8:34 am

Apparently there's nothing (well.. yeah) in V-Jump

SaiyanTarzan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SaiyanTarzan » Thu May 16, 2019 8:38 am

Jackalope89 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:24 pm
SaiyanTarzan wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:14 pm
Its the Dancing Para Para Brothers becoming Great Saiyaman's arch-foes! Even Saiyawoman becomes ensnared by their diabolical dance routines! But, hope returns when Great Saiyagirl knocks the brothers over and breaks their foul boombox of doom! Showing the world is in good hands for the next generation of heroes!
I won't lie I'm probably the minority but I love Great Saiyaman and Great Saiyawoman as a hero team.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu May 16, 2019 9:33 am

Saturnine wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:33 am
louisascommie wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:32 pm Ajay and Yonko are fine people as far as I know

I don't like geekdom for his right wing anti sjw anti feminist jokes ripped straight out of 2013. that shit is most prevalent on his world of geekdom channel
To be perfectly fair, it doesn't take a right winger to bash feminists and sjws, but I digress

As foe Geekdom, he seems fine to me. He reacts with hostility when people accuse him of having bad credibility, but IMO it only shows how important his credobility is to him. He probably worked for years to get where he is now, and people generally like to think their hard work is meaningful - otherwise it leads to heavy frustration or even depression.
It would be justified if he actually proved his credibility or at the very least had a release prediction that came true. That isn't the case though...Unlike Ajay he hasn't proved his sources, his predictions about the release were all wrong and to top it all off, his ego is huge and undeserved. As someone who barely knew the youtubers going into this I can safely say I know enough about Geekom to avoid the rest of his content. And I'm almost glad he hasn't come to damage control here yet as I'm almost positive my opinion would sink lower.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:02 pm

sintzu wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:15 am

I remember those days. But still I dont think we're so lucky. i would prefer just the ocassional video game as opposed to what we've gotten in the revival these past 5-6 years now.

Konja7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Konja7 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:11 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:02 pmI remember those days. But still I dont think we're so lucky. i would prefer just the ocassional video game as opposed to what we've gotten in the revival these past 5-6 years now.
That depends on the tastes of people.

There are fans who really like Super. Not to mention that Super likely attract new fans.

So, these people are pretty lucky with the revival.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:17 pm

Konja7 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:11 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:02 pmI remember those days. But still I dont think we're so lucky. i would prefer just the ocassional video game as opposed to what we've gotten in the revival these past 5-6 years now.
That depends on the tastes of people.

There are fans who really like Super. Not to mention that Super likely attract new fans.

So, these people are pretty lucky with the revival.
Obviously. I wasn't saying that as if it were fact.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu May 16, 2019 2:04 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:02 pmI dont think we're so lucky. i would prefer just the ocassional video game as opposed to what we've gotten in the revival these past 5-6 years now.
My issues with the revival aren't that we're getting new content as much as that content's potential being wasted. I like that we're getting new content as it keeps things fresh and exciting but I think most can agree that they could've done more with what they gave us.