"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Artorias » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:35 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:35 pm Lol this change of plans thing still doing the rounds? Anything to help people sleep at night I guess...

Come 2021 if we still have no DBS then what? What's the excuse gonna be then?

Bottom line the only official words we have had are about movies, we should treat this whole DBS 2.0 as a myth. After all this I am amazed people still wanna give these non official people the benefit of the doubt.
How could you possibly have read Ajay’s post and come to this kind of conclusion? How could you possibly write this all off as “myth” bs given all the context we have? It’s extremely logical to assume plans did change behind the scenes, and its bizarre for you to just ignore all the evidence and timeline of events and act like we’re all crazy for postulating a very plausible scenario. Quit scoffing at totally reasonable assumptions.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:35 pm

Does this mean Super is on indefinite hiatus?
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:35 pm Lol this change of plans thing still doing the rounds? Anything to help people sleep at night I guess...

Bottom line the only official words we have had are about movies, we should treat this whole DBS 2.0 as a myth. After all this I am amazed people still wanna give these non official people the benefit of the doubt.
I don't know. Usually I'd be the one saying this but what Ajay posted makes me think it's all been in my head.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:14 pm

Artorias wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:35 pm

How could you possibly have read Ajay’s post and come to this kind of conclusion? How could you possibly write this all off as “myth” bs given all the context we have? It’s extremely logical to assume plans did change behind the scenes, and its bizarre for you to just ignore all the evidence and timeline of events and act like we’re all crazy for postulating a very plausible scenario. Quit scoffing at totally reasonable assumptions.
I agree, based on all the evidence we've seen its extremely plausible, if not a foregone conclusion that TOEI at one point had plans to bring Super back. How seriously they've taken those plans and how far into production they got on a new series remains to be seen, but there's been nothing to suggest making new episodes hadn't even crossed their minds. I do think it will happen eventually. It may not be this year, it could be next year, or the year after. No one really knows, but Dragon Ball is that kind of franchise that can come back at any time and it will still print money for TOEI and other license holders.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:39 am

Artorias wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:35 pm

I'm amazed by how you used to talk about super 2 coming, baggie, but changed 180 degrees. I'm also amazed by the fact you don't give any credibility to anything Ajay posted, or anyone else for the matter. It's obvious as a blue sky is clear that Super 2 is in Toei's plans. How far nobody knows. Hopefully further than most believe. But in no way Toei would have reached out to dubbing companies to contract super 2 without even starting the project.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:18 am

Based on Ajay's info, what I gather from all this is that Toei decided to give the project more time.

Perhaps they weren't satisfied with the quality of the animation and didn't want another Dragon Ball Super first season fiasco. Expectations are higher than ever - especially animation wise - and Toei probably wants to do this right. Or maybe they wanted to go with Toyotaro's space saga and then decided to do something totally different in order to diverge the two series (manga and anime) even more? Who knows?

I'm certain that this isn't a cancellation, however. It makes no sense to cancel (the) Dragon Ball (anime) indefinitely since the brand is hotter than ever right now.

This situation is starting to remind me of the whole "FF7 Remake is cancelled" from forums and fans. The project got delayed, there were no news, everyone said it's dead, and lo and behold, it got re-revealed, better than ever and it's coming next year.

Calm your tits, (some of you) people.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:35 am

Artorias wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:19 pm
MCDaveG wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:22 pm Looks like I am getting the last laugh as the so called sources were really bullshit...
It has been months and nobody presented anything, no announcements, just wet dreams.

At least, we can look forward to a potential movie in future :)
Anything else showed up?
Is this really the level of analysis you’re gonna do here? You’re just going to assume reports from credible sources were all “bullshit” just for the sake of getting a quick ego boost and gloating? It’s not possible that the plans behind the scenes changed for logical reasons? There’s no other possible reason for the lack of a show? It’s extremely lazy of you to just write everything off as a total crock of shit by ignoring all context of the situation around you for the sake of bragging.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:11 am
Both pre & post Broly release the producers talked about movies not a series, Toei denied a new series countless times maybe just maybe the actual people in charge were right all along and not some random YT with their 17 imaginary sources!
Ajay is not some “random youtuber”. I would think you’d know that, so this statement makes no sense
Oh, but I can, because I did an analysis here a long time ago and everyone was like I am wrong and yada yada, writing off my analysis as bullshit... but as you can see, where did believing the anonymous people on the internet got you? Angry and full of denial.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:12 pm

Ajay wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:44 am
Michsi wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:13 amSomeone mentioned that Ajay tweeted something about finding out that what he was told was wrong. I'm not sure if he ever elaborated on whether he meant release date or the existence of the series as a whole. Either way, we can at least rest assured that something will follow , be it a movie or a series.

I didn't elaborate cause I'm not really sure myself. I don't really have any thoughts on this mess beyond my last statement that essentially boiled down to, "I don't know what's going on, but I'm sorry I played a part in this".

I guess I can just lay out the facts and you guys can make of it what you will:

- A European dubbing company (precise country redacted for privacy) were explicitly told by Toei that production on a new series is in the works.
- A meeting discussing a new series took place in Italy in April. They were told to prepare for an announcement in May.
- Two European VAs casually mentioned then redacted the existence of a new Super series.
- At no point were Funimation ever aware of a new series.
- Toei US denied the existence both publicly and privately to US staff.
- Toei US, Toei EU, and Toei JP are separate entities, and according to Brady Hartel from Discotek, these branches don't often communicate with one another synchronously.
- A dozen or so Toei Phils staff explicitly admitted the existence of a sequel Dragon Ball Super series. The sheer number of staff and precise details provided serve as the primary basis for the series' existence.
- Many of these staff repeatedly mentioned an air date of July and Fuji TV as the location of broadcast, though a few said that while they know of its existence, they're not sure when it'll launch.
- Their focus was always on Stampede, but depending on the Phils staff contacted, they were at different stages with regards to Super. Some had it on their calendars, while others had received production materials.
- Those with production materials specifically cited the designs being the same as the Broly movie, with many auxiliary characters falling back on Nakatsuru's DBZ designs.
- This information was procured over the course of several months, and they continued to say the same things right up until the predicted announcement. Following this, nobody seemed to know what was going on. However on July 31st 2019, after reaching out, a staff member said: "I don't know when the new series will release, but maybe next year. As far as I know, there's no Dragon Ball this year. We're making some Dragon Ball Heroes episodes, but nothing with the regular DBS series".
- Toei US stated privately that Toei Animation does not work with Toei Phils (Note: this is laughably incorrect. They work on every single episode of every single Toei show to this very day. (They even provided One Piece materials to me before an episode even aired). This absurd statement was one of the reasons why nobody really paid much attention to their denial.
- Following Super sequel claims, Masaki Sato tweeted "No way! All these questions... at this point it's industry talk and I shouldn't say more. Did something leak from somewhere? Overseas? Though I guess if it's already been revealed, it might be okay to discuss..." I DM'd him asking him to clarify if he was talking about Super, but all he said was that he'd return if he was offered an Animation Supervisor role.
- On March 20th, a Shueisha employee from the One Piece department mocked people claiming Super would return in July on their personal Twitter account. However, he was ignored as he has a history of making wild claims. His basis was that it would be too expensive to produce a movie and a new Super series within the same year... despite the fact that that's exactly what happened in 2015, and continues to happen every single year.
- On March 30th, Tu Yong-ce said he had never heard about any sort of follow-up series to Super. Tu works exclusively in the One Piece department.
- However a day later, another Toei animator (redacted for privacy) said: "I don't know anything about Dragon Ball Super's continuation, but I'm working on it :wink:"
- I was told Ryota Nakamura and Masato Mitsuka were on One Piece Stampede back on May 7th. However, Kazuya Karasawa's Twitter bio mentions "NEW WORK IN PREPARATION" for a (still!) unannounced project.
- I was told Yuya Takahashi was on One Piece Stampede back in January - he is serving as an animation supervisor.
- I was told Naoki Tate was on One Piece Stampede on May 31st.
- Animators on Stampede mentioned that the movie's schedule is very good, so claims that the movie's schedule affected Super, while not impossible, are probably misguided. That said...
- Toei have a well-documented history of postponing and/or changing projects and their formats. Some well-known examples: their anniversary project Pop in Q had its plans altered twice, Sailor Moon Crystal is in purgatory since they keep scrapping plans, a Hannah Montana anime pilot was created and then scrapped. They have a habit of putting things on the cards very early, so in a projects' infancy, things are subject to change.
- After consulting with "industry experts" from various publications like AnimeNewsNetwork and CrunchyRoll, the general consensus is that at some point, a Super series was likely set in stone for July, and then changed. Anything beyond that is far too unclear to determine based on the evidence.

I'm probably missing some stuff, but that's pretty much all the key bits of information. Bizarre situation. Whether this was all a big misunderstanding, a case of changed plans, or something else, hopefully one day we'll find out exactly what happened.
Thanks for the time you took to write it dowm. I respect the facts and am sorry how it turned out. Keep going, Ajay
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:56 pm

Nickolaidas wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:18 am Based on Ajay's info, what I gather from all this is that Toei decided to give the project more time.

Perhaps they weren't satisfied with the quality of the animation and didn't want another Dragon Ball Super first season fiasco. Expectations are higher than ever - especially animation wise - and Toei probably wants to do this right.
This is probably what happened. Snafus in Super 1.0, like the poor quality of episode 5, were no doubt an embarrassment for Toei, and they don't want a repeater of that.

And thanks Ajay, everything you said in your post about the situation makes sense and we appreciate your hard work.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:27 pm

Nickolaidas wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:18 am This situation is starting to remind me of the whole "FF7 Remake is cancelled" from forums and fans. The project got delayed, there were no news, everyone said it's dead, and lo and behold, it got re-revealed, better than ever and it's coming next year.
It's nothing like FF7 Remake. FF7 Remake was officially announced first and then Square-Enix have been silent for a long time.
Here we're talking about a sequel that was never officially announced and there's just rumours about it.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:41 pm

Interesting tidbit(s):

It's been confirmed that Shuuichiro Manabe, Atsushi Nikaido, Yuichi Karasawa, Takeo Ide and Hirotaka Nii all worked on One Piece Stampede as animation supervisors. They are part of the long list of talented animators who worked on Super and worked on One Piece Stampede, including Yuya Takahashi, Naoki Tate, Ryo Onoshi and Naotoshi Shida. And given the confirmation that scheduling for the movie was really good, it's safe to say they were given their positions for that movie quite early on. So it's very likely right after they all finished working on Dragon Ball Super Broly, they went straight to One Piece Stampede.

Basically, it looks like practically every talented animator who worked on the Super TV series and movie, went right into working on One Piece Stampede. And given that Hirotaka Nii was able to work on the latest episode of Fire Force after being selected to take part in One Piece Stampede, it's safe to say they finished on that movie a while ago.

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:40 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:41 pm Interesting tidbit(s):

It's been confirmed that Shuuichiro Manabe, Atsushi Nikaido, Yuichi Karasawa, Takeo Ide and Hirotaka Nii all worked on One Piece Stampede as animation supervisors. They are part of the long list of talented animators who worked on Super and worked on One Piece Stampede, including Yuya Takahashi, Naoki Tate, Ryo Onoshi and Naotoshi Shida. And given the confirmation that scheduling for the movie was really good, it's safe to say they were given their positions for that movie quite early on. So it's very likely right after they all finished working on Dragon Ball Super Broly, they went straight to One Piece Stampede.

Basically, it looks like practically every talented animator who worked on the Super TV series and movie, went right into working on One Piece Stampede. And given that Hirotaka Nii was able to work on the latest episode of Fire Force after being selected to take part in One Piece Stampede, it's safe to say they finished on that movie a while ago.
Which means in September or October they'll either begin work on Super's next movie or it's return (New Saga) and release it next year I also believe reason Heroes continues to go on is to satisfy fans who want Super to return almost like a stalling kind of thing

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:14 pm

So what now? Realistically, is there any hope for a series next year?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:40 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:14 pm So what now? Realistically, is there any hope for a series next year?
We'll have to wait and see. There were strong implications of a July release, but plans changed seem to have changed.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:37 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:14 pm So what now? Realistically, is there any hope for a series next year?
It's been pointed out that Kitaro was confirmed for another year so I'm pretty sure the earliest DBS could return is April or July 2020. There was a rumor that Kitaro could change timeslots so DBS could come back this year but I don't know if that was just speculation or confirmed anywhere.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:31 am

Skar wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:37 pm
It's been pointed out that Kitaro was confirmed for another year so I'm pretty sure the earliest DBS could return is April or July 2020. There was a rumor that Kitaro could change timeslots so DBS could come back this year but I don't know if that was just speculation or confirmed anywhere.
Kitaro was confirmed for another story Arc, not a year.
It did say it was entering its second year, but not that it was running another year.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:48 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:31 amKitaro was confirmed for another story Arc, not a year.
It did say it was entering its second year, but not that it was running another year.
That's true but the last few Kitaro iterations (versions?) all lasted 100 or more episodes.

3rd series: 1985-1988 (115 episodes)

4th series: 1996-1998 (114 episodes)

5th series: 2007-2009 (100 episodes)

There was a 6th series in 2008 that was only 11 episodes but that was airing in the middle of the 5th series. The 7th is almost 70 episodes so far. I don't know much about the story or there's any sign it's coming to an end soon so I'm assuming it'll likely last at least 100 episodes like the last few.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:27 pm

With another dragon ball super movie I think Dragon ball would continue as a movie series.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:37 pm

Skar wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:48 pm
DBZ_Lee wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:31 amKitaro was confirmed for another story Arc, not a year.
That's true but the last few Kitaro iterations (versions?) all lasted 100 or more episodes.

There was a 6th series in 2008 that was only 11 episodes but that was airing in the middle of the 5th series. The 7th is almost 70 episodes so far. I don't know much about the story or there's any sign it's coming to an end soon so I'm assuming it'll likely last at least 100 episodes like the last few.
Ok... if we use this evidence and start speculating... then...

Kitaro's 70th episode airs on August 25th 2019. 32 weeks after August 25th, 2019 is April 5th, 2020, the start of another anime cour. 70 plus 32 gives us 102 which Kitaro should roughly be near (because there are a couple breaks throughout the year).

Even with this, I really hope we don't have to wait as long as April. How good of a chance is October this year? Stampede would be out 2 months by then.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:13 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:37 pm
Skar wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:48 pm

Ok... if we use this evidence and start speculating... then...

Kitaro's 70th episode airs on August 25th 2019. 32 weeks after August 25th, 2019 is April 5th, 2020, the start of another anime cour. 70 plus 32 gives us 102 which Kitaro should roughly be near (because there are a couple breaks throughout the year).

Even with this, I really hope we don't have to wait as long as April. How good of a chance is October this year? Stampede would be out 2 months by then.
I wouldn't put any bets on any Dragon Ball Super animated material being released this year. The ship for an announcement of that nature has come and gone.

You're just going to have to do with Toyotaro's material in the manga and... ugh... Dragon Ball Heroes... to sate your appetite for new material.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:44 pm

Super will return to TV before the end of 2020, I'm sure of that.
We won't see another movie until at least 2022 I wouldn't have thought.
Either way, I can see it returning in April or July 2020.

I don't know why Super's return was postponed, but I do believe Toei's marketing dept. had a big hand in it.
Do they really want to promote a new DB TV series globally at the same time as Stampede?.
One Piece is top dog domestically, but overseas, DB is, and would likely have caused Stampede to get drowned out Internationally amongst the hype of Super's return to TV.