"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jord
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Jord » Wed May 15, 2019 3:32 am

This is exactly why I don't trust claims with "inside sources". There's always something that comes up when the predictions don't match. Choose one:
  • Plans have changed without reason(usually the most used one)
  • My sources don't understand this either (usually accompanied by a "I double checked my sources")
  • It should have come out by now
  • Due to to production troubles, it has moved to *vague period in the future*
  • Due to to the succes of *another anime or game * it has moved to *vague period in the future*
This goes for anime, movie, games news etc. It's all the same. I heard this from my uncle who works at Nintendo.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed May 15, 2019 5:02 am

I am calling it now, as I had this huge deja vu from all of this.
''SUPER 2.0'' IS THE DRAGON BALL AF of nowadays.

Or like that Dragon Ball Hoshi and other crap scam. People just claiming things to be relevant and interesting.
From what I gather, it is a possibility that there are no inside sources, but some people probably read too much into some animators and directors interviews, as during the Brolli premiere, the director said that they will like if Super continues and this bla bla Japanese polite phrases attached to it. Because, it is not well-manered in Japan to give outright negative answers.

Some people grabbed that chance and with being so sure of the DB success, they are plaing a card that it will happen definitely!
And are just guessing the dates, because if by any chance, they will be right, they will get huge credit boost.

When was the last time that youtube personas revealed anything substantial? It is like Mike Zeroh, who is boasting crap he found on reddit about Star Wars and claiming it to be inside info and what not, only to be a total bull.
And with the success, well, Star Wars is succesfull as well right? Tough with success and saturation comes the consumers' fatigue.
So maybe, Dragon Ball Super sequel won't come at all as TOEI wouldn't want to oversaturate. Super ended, Movie was a success and the hype is still there. The nearest example of that people being wild over speculation all over the internet.

People have such short memory span, that they probably do not remember the era after GT ended in Japan. Dragon Ball was dead, tough with it being aired in other countries later, it became relevant in those countries and sparked this idea of popular series, of course there will be sequel. Goku flew somewhere with the dragon, to train probably, SSJ5, SSJ6... etc.

It is the same. When Kai was happening, there was actual inside source and we had photos of the workplace and tablets with actual scenes being drawn (those famous redrawn ones).
Now there is nothing... and of course ''You know nothing, Jon Snow!'' :lol:
Of course, there was this genga from the Brolli movie, but man, I am a designer and can redraw frame one on one to look like a genga, as we have the actual ones available from the series' production.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Kouga

Post by Kouga » Wed May 15, 2019 5:24 am

Dragon Ball 35th anniversary it's on november 20th.
So, I THINK make perfect sense if 2uper coming back next autumn. In this context, a SDCC panel with an announcement and a teaser trailer plus a simulcast dub (in US and many country in Europe, Tournament Power Arc is now around episode 110 circa) fits perfectly.

Obv, i don't have any source/insider! :D
This is just my opinion, but I don't see it so unlikely.
Last edited by Kouga on Wed May 15, 2019 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Ball, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and DuckTales: no matter how old I get, these three things will always be my greatest passions.
English is not my first language, have mercy! :D

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed May 15, 2019 5:29 am

Kouga wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:24 am Dragon Ball 35th anniversary it's on 20th november.
So, I THINK make perfect sense if 2uper coming back next autumn. In this context, a SDCC panel with an announcement and a teaser trailer plus a simulcast dub (in US and many country in Europe, Tournament Power Arc is now around episode 110 circa).

Obv, i don't have any source/insider! :D
This is just my opinion, but I don't see it so unlikely.
Jesus man, register on twitter and say you have like 10 animators overseas and spread the word, that is how it is done nowadays :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

SaiyanTarzan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SaiyanTarzan » Wed May 15, 2019 8:16 am

MCDaveG wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:02 am I am calling it now, as I had this huge deja vu from all of this.

Or like that Dragon Ball Hoshi and other crap scam. People just claiming things to be relevant and interesting.
From what I gather, it is a possibility that there are no inside sources, but some people probably read too much into some animators and directors interviews, as during the Brolli premiere, the director said that they will like if Super continues and this bla bla Japanese polite phrases attached to it. Because, it is not well-manered in Japan to give outright negative answers.

Some people grabbed that chance and with being so sure of the DB success, they are plaing a card that it will happen definitely!
And are just guessing the dates, because if by any chance, they will be right, they will get huge credit boost.

When was the last time that youtube personas revealed anything substantial? It is like Mike Zeroh, who is boasting crap he found on reddit about Star Wars and claiming it to be inside info and what not, only to be a total bull.
And with the success, well, Star Wars is succesfull as well right? Tough with success and saturation comes the consumers' fatigue.
So maybe, Dragon Ball Super sequel won't come at all as TOEI wouldn't want to oversaturate. Super ended, Movie was a success and the hype is still there. The nearest example of that people being wild over speculation all over the internet.

People have such short memory span, that they probably do not remember the era after GT ended in Japan. Dragon Ball was dead, tough with it being aired in other countries later, it became relevant in those countries and sparked this idea of popular series, of course there will be sequel. Goku flew somewhere with the dragon, to train probably, SSJ5, SSJ6... etc.

It is the same. When Kai was happening, there was actual inside source and we had photos of the workplace and tablets with actual scenes being drawn (those famous redrawn ones).
Of course, there was this genga from the Brolli movie, but man, I am a designer and can redraw frame one on one to look like a genga, as we have the actual ones available from the series' production.
That's hilarious, it reminds me of that Star Wars stuff too, I remember like it was yesterday when quite a good deal of major Star Wars YouTubers claimed they have inside sources and talking about what the story for the last Jedi was gonna be and what do you know? They made like half a dozen videos talking about these "story leaks" then to find out they were wrong about every single thing.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Wed May 15, 2019 10:30 am

This reminds me of that South Park episode about Joseph Smith.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:17 am

MCDaveG wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:02 am I am calling it now, as I had this huge deja vu from all of this.

Brutally frank but I wholeheartedly agree for the most part.

SaiyanTarzan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SaiyanTarzan » Wed May 15, 2019 11:40 am

You're telling me that this "show" which has apparently begun pre-production in October has not had any storyboard leaks or what the title card may look like or what the ending animation will look like after what? 7 months now? 6 months if you don't count October. Most leaks happen with the actual production begins for movies and shows, so you're telling me that Dragon Ball Super 2.0 is still in pre-production and no storyboarding or animation has begun yet? 7 months still in that stage? madness I tell you. Movies are a much longer process than show productions and so if you notice, set leaks happen when of course filming begins, that's when the majority of leaks come out. My gut keeps telling me it's definitely another film, it would make total sense why any real leak about this movie has yet to come out because of the longer stretched out process of filming whether its live action or other wise.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Wed May 15, 2019 11:57 am

Did Ajay get the gengas from this guy?

https://mobile.twitter.com/KenArto/stat ... 3189227521

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed May 15, 2019 11:58 am

SaiyanTarzan wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:40 am My gut keeps telling me it's definitely another film, it would make total sense why any real leak about this movie has yet to come out because of the longer stretched out process of filming whether its live action or other wise.
Anime movies are usually announced very early into the actual animation production, when they have nothing to show yet. So assuming it's true that animators have been working on it for some time, the timeframe and the silence so far don't sound quite right for a movie.

But really, any kind of actual, tangible leaks before an announcement (anime movie or series) aren't typical either, when it comes to unofficial sources it's mostly all about rumors and speculations. Even if the series is actually in pre-production for months, there's no reason to believe we would've seen a title card or whatever.

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Wed May 15, 2019 12:25 pm

https://twitter.com/Spytrue/status/1128693796370296834 Idk if this right V-Jump but this one of cover obvs i know it not a dragon ball relate so no telling of it what else is in the cover after that page

SaiyanTarzan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SaiyanTarzan » Wed May 15, 2019 12:50 pm

Araki wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:58 am
SaiyanTarzan wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:40 am My gut keeps telling me it's definitely another film, it would make total sense why any real leak about this movie has yet to come out because of the longer stretched out process of filming whether its live action or other wise.
Anime movies are usually announced very early into the actual animation production, when they have nothing to show yet. So assuming it's true that animators have been working on it for some time, the timeframe and the silence so far don't sound quite right for a movie.

But really, any kind of actual, tangible leaks before an announcement (anime movie or series) aren't typical either, when it comes to unofficial sources it's mostly all about rumors and speculations. Even if the series is actually in pre-production for months, there's no reason to believe we would've seen a title card or whatever.
Preproduction in Dragon Ball Super Broly began in 2017, we didn't know much about it then if nothing at all, but there were rumors that a movie was coming then, it's not hard to believe that it's too early for anything hefty in terms of information to come out regarding a movie. Animation for this movie may not have even started yet similar to how Broly's production began in March 2017.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Wed May 15, 2019 12:55 pm

SaiyanTarzan wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:50 pm

Preproduction in Dragon Ball Super Broly began in 2017, we didn't know much about it then if nothing at all, but there were rumors that a movie was coming then, it's not hard to believe that it's too early for anything hefty in terms of information to come out regarding a movie. Animation for this movie may not have even started yet similar to how Broly's production began in March 2017.
Who rumored this movie?

Guesswhoo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Guesswhoo » Wed May 15, 2019 1:08 pm

Isn't the current arc in manga a Toyotaro one :think: ? DBS story lived on the Toriyama guideline so getting ahead of the manga was possible but I highly doubt Toyo will spoil his own story.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Wed May 15, 2019 1:32 pm

Guesswhoo wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:08 pm Isn't the current arc in manga a Toyotaro one :think: ? DBS story lived on the Toriyama guideline so getting ahead of the manga was possible but I highly doubt Toyo will spoil his own story.
The whole catching up to the manga thing never made sense. Why doesn't Toyotaro just give Toei an outline? Or just simply work closer with them?

SaiyanTarzan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SaiyanTarzan » Wed May 15, 2019 2:06 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:55 pm

Who rumored this movie?
It was just on twitter and mentioned in comments, I remember Geekdom saying there's no movie for 2017 so I think there were definitely things going around.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Wed May 15, 2019 2:09 pm

SaiyanTarzan wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:06 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:55 pm

Who rumored this movie?
It was just on twitter and mentioned in comments, I remember Geekdom saying there's no movie for 2017 so I think there were definitely things going around.
I don't know about you, but this ordeal has made me realize claims on twitter are usually false.

Guesswhoo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Guesswhoo » Wed May 15, 2019 2:58 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:32 pm
Guesswhoo wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:08 pm Isn't the current arc in manga a Toyotaro one :think: ? DBS story lived on the Toriyama guideline so getting ahead of the manga was possible but I highly doubt Toyo will spoil his own story.
The whole catching up to the manga thing never made sense. Why doesn't Toyotaro just give Toei an outline? Or just simply work closer with them?
Because, DB main appeal comes from the unexpected way its plot get resolved, Toyo is unrelated to Toei so giving outline will just harm "his" manga.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed May 15, 2019 4:50 pm

I wouldn't say they're unrelated. Whole reason his manga exists is because of the anime. Besides, some designs are his and the anime started crediting him, even the movie does. They're all part of the same project.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed May 15, 2019 5:40 pm

Although 2uper is going to happen sooner or later, maybe Toei and everyone else involved decided it might be best for the franchise to take breaks every few years to avoid franchise fatigue. Super 0.1 is still getting new dubbed episodes internationally and is overall still fresh in fans' minds. Maybe they want to wait until it's finished internationally and fans are truly ready for something new instead of rushing it out whenfans are just getting used to 0.1 being a thing.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.