"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Tai Lung » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:26 pm

maybe broly meet kale in sadala arc? :D

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Post by head_cha_la » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:43 pm

Sadala or not, there will be interactions between Broly and Kale, it's inevitable!

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:11 pm

emperior wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:47 pmMaybe they are “listening” to fan wishes, such as having Sadala arc, introducing Zalama, having a Goku vs Beerus rematch, exploring other universes, showing Yamoshi’s story, finally going after EoZ so we can have Uub etcetera, so basically it would be fanservice regarding what’s happened in the 131 episodes of Super and not based on Dragon Ball Z.
Yeah, I would like to learn more about Zalama and even a backstory of Beerus. I do wonder if we're the minority that wants less of the other type of fan service. The more diehard fans who discuss the series in-depth on forums might have different expectations than the general audience.

When Toriyama, Toei, or Toyotaro talk about appealing to fans, it has usually been bringing back fan favorite characters. To the general audience, DBS might just be seen as a nostalgia trip and they want to see their favorite content from the original again. I think that's how it is with most recent revival series. For example, the new Star Wars films are criticized by diehard fans as pandering and having too much fan service even though they have high ratings and record box office revenue. Unless new characters or concepts in DBS are as popular then the fan service might continue to mainly focus on DBZ unfortunately.

louisascommie
Beyond Newbie

Post by louisascommie » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:43 pm

Fan service to me personally would be focusing on characters that are not goku and vegeta.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:07 pm

Toriyama's on record as preferring to betray fan-expectations in his work; isn't a fan-service arc the opposite of that? Maybe he'll be less involved if this is the case.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:08 pm

head_cha_la wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:43 pm Sadala or not, there will be interactions between Broly and Kale, it's inevitable!
I consider it rather shameful that piccolo has not known the namekians or goku to caulifla in the manga, so a sadala arc would be the perfect opportunity for all those interactions were needed besides broly and kale. :think:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:02 pm

Chuquita wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:07 pm Toriyama's on record as preferring to betray fan-expectations in his work; isn't a fan-service arc the opposite of that? Maybe he'll be less involved if this is the case.
But if it is known that he betrays fan-expectation, then wouldn't going along with fan-service betraying the fan-expectation?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:16 pm

Kanassa wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:02 pm
Chuquita wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:07 pm Toriyama's on record as preferring to betray fan-expectations in his work; isn't a fan-service arc the opposite of that? Maybe he'll be less involved if this is the case.
But if it is known that he betrays fan-expectation, then wouldn't going along with fan-service betraying the fan-expectation?
That sounds a lot like he'd be tricking himself, or a convoluted way of him being nice without Toriyama coming out and saying he's being nice.
Fans won't expect him to give them what they want so he'll give them what they want.

Even so this fan base has so much variety there's no way a the rumored fan service would apply to everyone.
Last edited by Chuquita on Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:20 pm

Chuquita wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:16 pm
That sounds a lot like he'd be tricking himself, or a convoluted way of him being nice.
Fans won't expect him to give them what they want so he'll give them what they want.

Even so this fan base has so much variety there's no way the rumored fan service would apply to everyone.
These are the mind games creators play, man, THEY'RE GETTING INTO YOUR HEAD!
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:22 pm

Kanassa wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:20 pm

That sounds a lot like he'd be tricking himself, or a convoluted way of him being nice.

Even so this fan base has so much variety there's no way the rumored fan service would apply to everyone.
Makes me wish we had a better description of the next arc.

Maybe next month.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:23 pm

Chuquita wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:22 pm
Kanassa wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:20 pm

Makes me wish we had a better description of the next arc.

Maybe next month.
Hopefully, when DBS is announced to return, we also get a reveal of the arc that will start with it.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Post by head_cha_la » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:17 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:08 pm
head_cha_la wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:43 pm Sadala or not, there will be interactions between Broly and Kale, it's inevitable!
I consider it rather shameful that piccolo has not known the namekians or goku to caulifla in the manga, so a sadala arc would be the perfect opportunity for all those interactions were needed besides broly and kale. :think:
I read that Toriyama to decide all the battles of universe 7 for the anime version, it's just Toyotaro who made different developments for the manga version.

But otherwise I really feel that "Galactic Patrol Prisoner Arc" will be exclusive manga and the anime will start directly the new project. And considering Toyotaro's statement I think that will be the case.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:47 am

head_cha_la wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:17 pm
I read that Toriyama to decide all the battles of universe 7 for the anime version, it's just Toyotaro who made different developments for the manga version.

But otherwise I really feel that "Galactic Patrol Prisoner Arc" will be exclusive manga and the anime will start directly the new project. And considering Toyotaro's statement I think that will be the case.
Why do you feel that? It'd be extremely stupid not to use that story imo.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:46 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:47 am

It depends on whether or not the Galactic Prisoner Arc will progress the story or if it will stay a contained story (basically filler).
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:29 am

emperior wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:46 am

It depends on whether or not the Galactic Prisoner Arc will progress the story or if it will stay a contained story (basically filler).
Even if it's that skipping an entire arc worth of material would not be a smart move financially. I mean, they'd be skipping an already done story, they'd have panels to refer themselves on. It'd make no sense whatsoever to SKIP a storyline!

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:50 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:29 am

Even if it's that skipping an entire arc worth of material would not be a smart move financially. I mean, they'd be skipping an already done story, they'd have panels to refer themselves on. It'd make no sense whatsoever to SKIP a storyline!
I actually agree with you, especially considering how Modern Dragon Ball is basically made to be milked.
But maybe Toyotaro is making the arc’s story as he goes along with it, meaning that there’s no outline for it considering it’s not Toriyama’s story this time? Or maybe it’s just a filler story which will end by the time the anime comes back, and which they decided to do so that the manga could continue with something new instead of retelling Broly, as that would have made little sense considering the movie was written by Toriyama and watched by basically every single fan of Dragon Ball.
Even then, I agree that it would make sense to animate Moro’s arc, but it could also bore the audience if its a story already seen in the manga and which has no consequence in the grand scheme of things.
I personally would rather get Toriyama’s next arc right off the bat than having to sit through a few episodes of a story that, so far, hasn’t been that interesting or well written.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:36 am

emperior wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:50 am
Even then, I agree that it would make sense to animate Moro’s arc, but it could also bore the audience if its a story already seen in the manga and which has no consequence in the grand scheme of things.
I personally would rather get Toriyama’s next arc right off the bat than having to sit through a few episodes of a story that, so far, hasn’t been that interesting or well written.
1. It never bored people to know the story back in the day with DB and DBZ.
2. Do we know Toriyama hasn't been involved in the story?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:45 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:36 am
emperior wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:50 am

1. It never bored people to know the story back in the day with DB and DBZ.
2. Do we know Toriyama hasn't been involved in the story?
1. But have we ever had a filler story with no consequence/progression whatsoever in the manga?
2. Toyotaro said he’s teaming up with Toriyama, but I assume that, based on how the arc has been so far, that the story comes from Toyotaro, as well as the character designs, with Toriyama only supervising it every month as he has always done with the manga. Now, if Toriyama’s supervision or contribution ends up being important to the whole plot of Dragon Ball Super, then the anime should also incorporate those ideas, but if the arc ends up being filler they might as well skip it entirely.
(Source: https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations ... c-comment/)

I have also remembered of something which was sad in the past by none other than Akira Toriyama himself: “Now then, the animated version on TV will be ending for the time being, but the very popular Dragon Ball Super comic drawn by Toyotarō (on sale now up through volume 5!) will keep on going as-is. I think there will also be story developments different from the TV show and the movie, so please look forward to that as well. I will be, too!”.

Could this refer to there already being plans for the manga to entirely skip Broly and start developing new stories different from the TV show? Thinking about it, the manga and anime actually always told the same story, even though there were quite a number of changes and differences between the two.
I’m probably reaching here, but it’s a possibility that Toriyama’s comment wasn’t referring to the obvious changes we already knew the manga has always had from the anime, but to something broader.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:44 pm

Found this from GojiitaAF, DBS anime confirmed?:

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:47 pm

GojiitaAF is not to be trusted ever.

It's fake. Original fan art here - https://www.deviantart.com/nourssj3/art ... -788205816
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.