"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:44 pm

prince212 wrote:
Rakurai wrote: "next work" could be anything.
Yeap .
Just a thought ........ , if we consider that they have been doing movies every 2-3 years , the huge worldwide impact of broly movie , the fact that toriyama started to work on that movie on spring 2017 , and the Olympic summer games on 2020 ....
It won’t be a surprise if toriyama is eventually starting to work on that project (next movie ).
From the way he mentioned it, it sounded like he was already working on his next project. Also, doubt its a movie. Or i hope not? I rather have Toriyama put that much time and effort into writing a TV arc that can be fulled expanded upon.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:27 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote:
emperior wrote:
IntangibleFancy wrote: I've seen the latest movie twice and nothing told me the story would continue for the anime. The manga however is continuing as we speak and Toyotaro hinted at adapting the movie. I'd rather see the anime retell the Broly movie than have them adapt the manga (I really don't like it).

I would think that if there was actual proof that it is continuing. At this point leaks or writer tweets or an announcement would have happened.
Do you honestly think they will stop animating the new stories Toriyama will write, especially after how big of a success the movie has been? You even watched it twice, so you can’t tell me that wasn’t good. And the movie leaves open the plot of what will Freeza do and Broly is still alive. It’s obvious that new stories will happen afterwards and Toriyama writing the movie script all by himself is proof enough that he is involved with the production of the anime and cares about it.
So be the continuation of Super an anime (most likely, and already leaked by multiple people) or a new movie, it’s clear that Dragon Ball Super, which came first and foremost as an animated product, will continue.
For Toyotaro’s manga, we already have a thread for discussing it.
If the movie is this successful then they might just continue doing that.

I wasn't discussing the manga. I was just pointing out that the only other reason for the silence could be that they're canning the anime's lore and adapting the manga.
I believe that this should be open until end of February/ Early March. If nothing happens in that time period, then I will be on your side. If not, then it should still be open.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:36 pm

Um, TOEI just casually announced it like no big deal. lol

Here's hoping Super 2.0 will actually be better than the first time.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:12 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Um, TOEI just casually announced it like no big deal. lol

Are you reacting to the original article, or did they really just announce it? If it's the latter, a source would be great, since I can't find any mention of it.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:32 am

Alruneia wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:Um, TOEI just casually announced it like no big deal. lol

Are you reacting to the original article, or did they really just announce it? If it's the latter, a source would be great, since I can't find any mention of it.
There’s no announcement from Toei yet.

We know for sure that Super will be back as a TV show eventually, but we still have no idea when and it seems like this time around Toei won’t be announcing it until the movie is still the thing fans are talking about, as that could end up hurting its sales. France gets the movie on the 13th of March, as far as I know it’s the latest big market to get the movie so I wouldn’t be surprised if they won’t announce a new show until the movie has also come out there, unless some TV slots shuffling end up leaking it similarly to what happened last year when the same thing ended up leaking Kitaro taking Super’s slot.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:34 pm

So... how long before we get UI vs UI in DB2uper?
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:54 pm

The likelihood of the show returning in April is getting less and less likely with each passing day in my estimation. I can't imagine them having an announcement to start date gap as tiny as Super 1.0 was. I'm not particularly knowledgeable on this subject, but I'd guess that less than three months of a gap between announcement and show start is uncommon and high unlikely. Any word from the "guys in the know" on whether or not that date is bullshit at this point?

I'm also curious to see if they rebrand it as a new show, or just call it "Super 2", or hell, maybe even just start back up with episode 132 of "Super"...not sure if there's any precedent for that though, where a show goes off air for a full year and then returns like nothing happened under the same name and episode count.

My money's on "Dragon Ball Super Duper"

I ALSO cannot really fathom why on earth people want a retelling of Broly. To me, the extra content that was cut is not worth having to sit through the same story again, only this time animated worse and without the novelty flair of new designs. Then again...I'm not really looking forward to them jumping to the current manga arc, as that also seems dreadfully dull to me so far. A creative new big bad that sets up so many possib- oh we're just going to Namek again. No thanks.
Last edited by Artorias on Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:03 pm

Artorias wrote:The likelihood of the show returning in April is getting less and less likely with each passing day in my estimation. I can't imagine them having an announcement to start date gap as tiny as Super 1.0 was. I'm not particularly knowledgeable on this subject, but I'd guess that less than three months of a gap between announcement and show start is uncommon and high unlikely. Any word from the "guys in the know" on whether or not that date is bullshit at this point?

I'm also curious to see if they rebrand it as a new show, or just call it "Super 2", or hell, maybe even just start back up with episode 132 of "Super"...not sure if there's any precedent for that though, where a show goes off air for a full year and then returns like nothing happened under the same name and episode count.

My money's on "Dragon Ball Super Duper"
Dragon Ball Super XD
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:07 pm

Shaddy wrote:People place a lot of fucking faith in that whole "the original board was 3 hours long" thing from the Broly movie, but we have no proof that the stuff that made it that long came from Toriyama's writing, or if it's just extra fighting, or even just elongated shots of what we saw. If there's any actual missing parts to the film's story, I want to see it implemented into the movie itself via an extended cut. I see absolutely nothing to be gained from remaking the entire thing with less staff, time and money. At least with Battle of Gods and Resurrection F you had the excuse of Dragon Ball not really being "back" yet and like five characters being introduced. The most that Broly needs is a flashback whenever Team Broly gets brought back into the story, which I feel may not even happen immediately.
I don't get it either, frankly. I think people are SEVERELY underestimating and forgetting how miserable we all were during the retellings of the first two movies in Super. Now, obviously they looked like poopoo, which didn't help, but I think people overestimate how much that matters. Those arcs were still largely pointless and boring, even if they looked presentable.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:10 pm

Artorias wrote: I'm also curious to see if they rebrand it as a new show, or just call it "Super 2", or hell, maybe even just start back up with episode 132 of "Super"...not sure if there's any precedent for that though, where a show goes off air for a full year and then returns like nothing happened under the same name and episode count.
In recent memory, Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia, their newest seasons keep the same branding and their episode count continue from where they left.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:13 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
Artorias wrote: I'm also curious to see if they rebrand it as a new show, or just call it "Super 2", or hell, maybe even just start back up with episode 132 of "Super"...not sure if there's any precedent for that though, where a show goes off air for a full year and then returns like nothing happened under the same name and episode count.
In recent memory, Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia, their newest seasons keep the same branding and their episode count continue from where they left.
The difference there though is those shows are seasonal. I'm thinking more about a case where a long running shonen "ended" and then came back and continued under the same name.
Shaddy wrote:
And again y'all, it's Nagamine's storyboard that ended up being 3 hours long. People keep saying Toriyama's script had something cut, but we don't know that. And I still doubt that whatever was cut was that amazingly great that it's a big loss anyway.
Here's a novel concept that people seem to not want to bring up for whatever reason: maybe its possible that...assuming some Toriyama stuff WAS cut...it was cut because...it was BAD? Maybe there's a REASON it was cut? Maybe it didn't add true substance and was merely superficial content that didn't need to be told. I don't know why everyone just assumes Toriyama crafted this brilliant script that was chopped up and discarded due to big bad Toei.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:20 pm

Somebody said the anime was actually coming back and then linked me to an article on this site. I'm on my phone so the best I can do is go on the forums and ask if it's true....

Is the anime really back or did somebody make an article over the NATPE "news"?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:30 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote:Somebody said the anime was actually coming back and then linked me to an article on this site. I'm on my phone so the best I can do is go on the forums and ask if it's true....

A: the anime will be back (manga episodes and insider rumors are evidences)
B:... but NO, no one knows exactly when.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:40 pm

ChronoTwigger wrote:
IntangibleFancy wrote:Somebody said the anime was actually coming back and then linked me to an article on this site. I'm on my phone so the best I can do is go on the forums and ask if it's true....

I still don't understand this.

Why are the officials acting like this is official news? Toei denied it. Sure they might have been lying but we can't just assume. Plus we should have had leaks by now.
Last edited by IntangibleFancy on Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:41 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Rakurai wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Well it’s to be assumed that his “next work” is for the DBS anime and by extension, Toei.
That assumption doesn't make any sense, "next work" could be anything. If it were DB-related, he would just come out and say it. We know he tends to be quite honest about these sorts of things.

His message was quite ambiguous in regards to his future in pumping out more DB-related content. That's not reassuring to many fans who want him to stick around longer for an anime (if there even is one).
Lol. You really think Toriyama would, in an interview targeted at Dragon Ball fans, for a DBS panel, tell us to look forward to his next work and have it not be dragon ball related? Where’s the logic in that?

Pretty sure he didn’t specify that it was DB related because to most people, it went without saying. It was OBVIOUS he was referencing a DB related work.

But I'm not surprised you think he doesn’t mean DB with how you’re saying “if there even is one” in reference to DBS 2.0 when its all BUT confirmed DBS 2.0 is happening and its really just a matter of when.

Dbs 2.0 is happening and the next plan Toriyama mentioned is something DB related. I bet my Kanzenshuu account on that.
Where else but a whole network of fans of his franchise would he be able to advertise his next work? The man basically forced fed DB Minus into his Jaco manga so it could sell better.

Yeah okay. Let's keep riding that high horse and take the next step to confidently claim DB will be back by April despite there being no official announcement from Toei, them even going so far as saying they aren't producing any episodes. Well, I'm not that into the anime at this point so I don't really care either way tbh.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:31 pm

Rakurai wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Rakurai wrote:
That assumption doesn't make any sense, "next work" could be anything. If it were DB-related, he would just come out and say it. We know he tends to be quite honest about these sorts of things.

His message was quite ambiguous in regards to his future in pumping out more DB-related content. That's not reassuring to many fans who want him to stick around longer for an anime (if there even is one).
Lol. You really think Toriyama would, in an interview targeted at Dragon Ball fans, for a DBS panel, tell us to look forward to his next work and have it not be dragon ball related? Where’s the logic in that?

Pretty sure he didn’t specify that it was DB related because to most people, it went without saying. It was OBVIOUS he was referencing a DB related work.

But I'm not surprised you think he doesn’t mean DB with how you’re saying “if there even is one” in reference to DBS 2.0 when its all BUT confirmed DBS 2.0 is happening and its really just a matter of when.

Dbs 2.0 is happening and the next plan Toriyama mentioned is something DB related. I bet my Kanzenshuu account on that.
Where else but a whole network of fans of his franchise would he be able to advertise his next work? The man basically forced fed DB Minus into his Jaco manga so it could sell better.

Yeah okay. Let's keep riding that high horse and take the next step to confidently claim DB will be back by April despite there being no official announcement from Toei, them even going so far as saying they aren't producing any episodes. Well, I'm not that into the anime at this point so I don't really care either way tbh.
Are you hearing yourself. If Toriyama wanted to announce he’s working on something new other than Dragon Ball, why would they announce that shit at a DRAGON BALL SUPER event? Before he mentioned the work, he was specifically talking about how he feels about writing Dragon Ball in general. If he wanted to announce a new work that WASN’T DB, it would have been announced at another time like any other mangaka’s announcement of a new series or something. On top of all that, nothing even suggests that Toriyama “next project” is something else. Where’d you even get that idea?

And dont start putting words in my mouth. I didn’t say shit about April. But you’d have to be a fool to think DBS 2.0 isn’t gonna happen. And you’re really gonna trust everything Toei says when they could just as easily be covering up? Some advice my dude. Stay WOKE! That not only means to do your own research and fact check, but in THIS case, think logically rather than taking what something as truth right off the bat. Chances are, theres more to it than just Toei debunking misinformation. And connect this to all the other tons of info we have hinting at DBS 2.0. And think about how a business would think.

Lol, you really think Dragon Ball is over?

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:32 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote:
ChronoTwigger wrote:

I still don't understand this.

Why are the officials acting like this is official news? Toei denied it. Sure they might have been lying but we can't just assume. Plus we should have had leaks by now.
Did DBS leak before its official announcement? No.

Do you know how leaks work?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:57 am

Confirmed DBS 2.0 is happening:
June:
ドラゴンボールアドバージ新シリーズ

https://www.shonenjump.com/j/jumpcalend ... ragonball/

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:22 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Confirmed DBS 2.0 is happening:
June:
ドラゴンボールアドバージ新シリーズ

What does it say?

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:34 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Confirmed DBS 2.0 is happening:
June:
ドラゴンボールアドバージ新シリーズ

Doesn't that just say a new series/line of adverge figures?