"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:05 pm

The producer said they had absolutely nothing done yet when asked about Super's return. If we're actually considering they cancelled the anime then shouldn't that be considered too? It makes more sense.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:54 pm

Alruneia wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:45 pm Don't forget that the manga is still going strong. Whether you enjoy it or not, it continues to tell the Dragon Ball Super story every month, and it generates quite a bit of money in sales (the volumes are top sellers every time). It is absolutely a possibility that the anime has been dropped in favour of a manga accompanied with movies, since every bit of that can directly generate profit. However, we'll see if that's what their strategy is as time goes on.
Lol no. The manga sales aren't even that great. Its repercussion and reach are very small compared to the anime.

Besides, DB is Toei's top 1 franchise and they have nothing to do with the manga, being an animation studio. Hell, even when it was actually Toriyama doing the manga, it was the anime that popularized and made the franchise enormous worldwide. Dragon Ball certainly needs an anime to remain this huge.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:50 pm

We have a week until Comic con. Will we actually see a movie/announcement or does Yamatoya have a different meaning of "bigger presence"?

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:36 am

Damn what have I miss in last few days? Did something came up?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:46 am

sintzu wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:36 pm
PremiumSalt wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:25 pmCorrect me if I'm wrong about this, the foreign markets do make up a large part of DB's revenue, yes? And it's not as though the Heroes anime is being released internationally. So if that's their strategy...it's a pretty bad one.
Although Heroes isn't in foreign countries, other popular games and merchandise are, and as far as I know they're all selling very well. Between that and Heroes in Japan, they may have decided that what they're doing is enough.
I really doubt it. TOEI are a business, they won't settle for good enough when it comes to their sources of revenue. If Super just about broke even I could see this being their strategy, but it doesn't. It was often TOEI's highest rated series alongside One Piece. Why wouldn't they want that again? The fact TOEI were informing international distributors the series is returning also suggests there may have been demand from broadcasters and home video licensors for more episodes. Let's not forget TOEI also gets a chunk of all their profits.

I would say TOEI are well into the production of 2uper so if Kitaro ends the bulk of the work to get a show to replace its timeslot will be done and they won't be in the same position they were in when Kai TFC was ending and they had to rush the original Super out.

It's no doubt been delayed at this point but for the sake of TOEI keeping their options open I have very little doubt Super will return at some stage.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:52 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:46 amIt's no doubt been delayed at this point but for the sake of TOEI keeping their options open I have very little doubt Super will return at some stage.
I also believe that it'll likely return, however, if by this time next year we don't hear anything, then maybe we should accept the posibility that for one reason or another, it isn't. Back in 2008 they wanted a new show but didn't go through with it because Toriyama wouldn't, so that's one thing that could prevent it from returning.
vashter wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:36 amDamn what have I miss in last few days? Did something came up?
Nothing, just speculation.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:09 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:39 am
sangofe wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:28 am
DBZ_Lee wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:59 am

Eric Legrand? did he say something?.
Yeah he did.
Fantastic. Any ideas what it was?.

My memory about it is vague and the I'm not sure where to find link to the YouTube video, but it was posted on these boards. I could translate it word for word if I find it again.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:10 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:32 pm I'm almost ready to give up. The youtubers couldn't come through (again) and every month more and more evidence points against Super returning this year. All we have left is SDCC.
DBZ_Lee wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:59 am

Eric Legrand? did he say something?.
Yeah he did.
I did some research. It was Italian Vegeta and I heard that what he said got contradicted by Mario Castenda.

Your research wasn't good enough because Legrand has also said something on the matter.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:28 pm

sangofe wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:09 pm

Yeah he did.

My memory about it is vague and the I'm not sure where to find link to the YouTube video, but it was posted on these boards. I could translate it word for word if I find it again.
I've found the YouTube video, and his comment starts right after you click on the link.
https://youtu.be/SBQ4UHMRxcY?t=21

Would you mind translating please?.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:37 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:28 pm

I've found the YouTube video, and his comment starts right after you click on the link.

Did he correct himself like the other voice actor did?

And why were they both Vegetas?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:56 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:37 pm

He never said anything outside this, no. I think it's a pure coincidence that there's several vegeta's that talked about it lol.

As for the translation...

I'm on holiday with my phone only and all the parts where they're asked if they've been called to dub aren't all clear, but here it is more or less :
There's a next Dragon Ball that will come out, a new show that will come out at the end of this year it seems. And so, have we been asked to do this project? Well, yes and no, we're waiting till we'll either get called to do it, or not.

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:08 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:56 am
IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:37 pm

He never said anything outside this, no. I think it's a pure coincidence that there's several vegeta's that talked about it lol.

I'm on holiday with my phone only and all the parts where they're asked if they've been called to dub aren't all clear, but here it is more or less :
There's a next Dragon Ball that will come out, a new show that will come out at the end of this year it seems. And so, have we been asked to do this project? Well, yes and no, we're waiting till we'll either get called to do it, or not.
He claim it coming at end of the year? (October? usually how anime season works if that what it is)... but doesn't know if they going do it or not.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:44 am

DBZ_Lee wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:28 pmI've found the YouTube video, and his comment starts right after you click on the link.

sangofe wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:56 amI'm on holiday with my phone only and all the parts where they're asked if they've been called to dub aren't all clear, but here it is more or less :
Thank you so much for translating, and enjoy your holiday.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:24 am

I don't mean to sound flippant, but why would a new anime series be revealed by a foreign licensor outside of Japan? Unless it's announced shortly before the con, Funimation will probably just continue to pimp Z's 30th anniversary.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:21 pm

vashter wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:08 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:56 am
IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:37 pm Did he correct himself like the other voice actor did?

He claim it coming at end of the year? (October? usually how anime season works if that what it is)... but doesn't know if they going do it or not.
End of year is end of year.
And as for your comment... more precisely he doesn't know if the current VAs will be asked to reprise their roles. (context : most were scrapped for the DBGT dub).
Kuwabara wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:24 am I don't mean to sound d flippant, but why would a new anime series be revealed by a foreign licensor outside of Japan? Unless it's announced shortly before the con, Funimation will probably just continue to pimp Z's 30th anniversary.
Because they've already got a contract to reveal more episodes. It can't be a coincidence that multiple VAs from widely different countries have all talked about it.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:21 pm

It's so blatantly obvious that it is coming back. The overwhelming amount of speculation is just too much to ignore.
The Moro Arc is Toriyama's work, and each chapter since the start of the Arc has had his name on, along with the cover of the upcoming 10th volume. He seems happy to continue, at least until we hear otherwise.

I do believe that since the show is being sold to international distributors already, Funimation are of course in the know, and it's no surprise that randomly, Funimation acquire Manga UK (who own the home video and distribution rights here) and Super appears on Pop (which is owned by Sony Pictures TV - their parent company) within weeks of the acquisition.
Airing the show here now, weeknights would get us up to date in January.
My point is, that Funimation will be in a position to Simuldub, and would want it streamed in all English language territories, now, with it having TV deals in Australia and now the UK, after they air, Toei will likely let them stream the episodes.

Seeing as Sony own Pop, they most likely will have no issue with them streaming the episodes within days of it airing, unlike Turner, who own Adult Swim, who want them to wait until home video before they stream.
All of this is assuming it returns in October.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:21 am

DBZ_Lee wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:21 pm It's so blatantly obvious that it is coming back. The overwhelming amount of speculation is just too much to ignore.
The Moro Arc is Toriyama's work, and each chapter since the start of the Arc has had his name on, along with the cover of the upcoming 10th volume. He seems happy to continue, at least until we hear otherwise.

I do believe that since the show is being sold to international distributors already, Funimation are of course in the know, and it's no surprise that randomly, Funimation acquire Manga UK (who own the home video and distribution rights here) and Super appears on Pop (which is owned by Sony Pictures TV - their parent company) within weeks of the acquisition.
Airing the show here now, weeknights would get us up to date in January.
My point is, that Funimation will be in a position to Simuldub, and would want it streamed in all English language territories, now, with it having TV deals in Australia and now the UK, after they air, Toei will likely let them stream the episodes.

Seeing as Sony own Pop, they most likely will have no issue with them streaming the episodes within days of it airing, unlike Turner, who own Adult Swim, who want them to wait until home video before they stream.
All of this is assuming it returns in October.
There is actually no evidence that Moro is Toriyama since we got no art work for Moro or any character from Toriyama unlike with the Future Trunks Saga or even Universal Survival Saga, Toyo talked about how he's getting much praise for this storyline with Toriyama only mentioned as a supervisor, Toriyama himself never mentioned the Moro arc and only told people to look forward to his next project back in Jump Festa despite Moro being talked about at the panel, and the Moro arc wasn't shouted from the mountain top as being an original story by Toriyama like everything else that Toriyama so much as squeezed on like him designing Android 21 and Shallot.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:33 am

Lol this went like

Pre-Jump Festa Announcement: 90%
Post JF : 0%

Pre-Feb to March: 70% by bunch of YT / Prediction people whom got source
Post Feb to March: License distribution going on something like that?

Pre May: GOKU DAY!
Post Goku Day: Nothing

June: Literally was nothing going on at all was the obvs

July: SDCC? I really doubt they'll say anything in there ever since Jan to now.. went from 90% to 50% to 1%.... 1% still a lot but that really small right now I just don't think they'll say shit for a while, October is last chance for "winter anime season". Right now everyone is basically Stephen A Smith of Media Source that never exist... beside that VA of yall talking about his comment end of the year, nobody said anything pass July at all but him? only man in the world said that? Unless the translation is bit messy

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:32 am

vashter wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:33 am Lol this went like

Pre-Jump Festa Announcement: 90%
Post JF : 0%

Pre-Feb to March: 70% by bunch of YT / Prediction people whom got source
Post Feb to March: License distribution going on something like that?

Pre May: GOKU DAY!
Post Goku Day: Nothing

June: Literally was nothing going on at all was the obvs

July: SDCC? I really doubt they'll say anything in there ever since Jan to now.. went from 90% to 50% to 1%.... 1% still a lot but that really small right now I just don't think they'll say shit for a while, October is last chance for "winter anime season". Right now everyone is basically Stephen A Smith of Media Source that never exist... beside that VA of yall talking about his comment end of the year, nobody said anything pass July at all but him? only man in the world said that? Unless the translation is bit messy
For starters other VAs have said something. And no, my translation isn't a bit "messy". FYI I'm a professional interpreter French-Norwegian. I was however missing context and there was the sound quality, too. Plus the question asked was obviously cut. When "on" is said in French it can me "us" "we" or I in third person...

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:44 am

HeroR wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:21 amThere is actually no evidence that Moro is Toriyama since we got no art work for Moro or any character from Toriyama unlike with the Future Trunks Saga or even Universal Survival Saga, Toyo talked about how he's getting much praise for this storyline with Toriyama only mentioned as a supervisor, Toriyama himself never mentioned the Moro arc and only told people to look forward to his next project back in Jump Festa despite Moro being talked about at the panel, and the Moro arc wasn't shouted from the mountain top as being an original story by Toriyama like everything else that Toriyama so much as squeezed on like him designing Android 21 and Shallot.
Perhaps, because the anime hasn't been announced, that's why they haven't been shouting it from the rooftops right now.
It could be like the Future Trunks Arc, which was, iirc, also supervised by Toriyama, as it was an idea that was presented to him by Toyotaro, the DB room and Toei.
We likely may not have seen any designs or anything yet because they are going to show all of that when the anime returns.
The manga is, for the majority of the time at least, Toyotaro's work filling in the blanks from Toriyama's draft, while the anime is Toei filling in those same blanks in their own way.

The FT Arc was a collaborative effort, and it sounds like this one is more Toyotaro's work on this occasion with Toriyama offering some ideas along the way.
Toriyama's next work? that'll most likely be the following Arc, or a new movie, (I hope not though) but I do recall Iyoku (head of the DB room) stating they've started thinking about a new movie, so we'll have to see.