Dragon ball super Broly timeline issues and possible retcon to end of Z?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vegito Black
Not-So-Newbie

Dragon ball super Broly timeline issues and possible retcon to end of Z?

Post by Vegito Black » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:32 am

SPOILERS!!!!

Ok so it is hard to notice on first viewing since the timeline counter is going on while you have these visuals you want to see go by the screen, but you'd notice it if you just looked at the years they display at the very beginning of both segments, the broly backstory, and then the minus back story segment.

So the movies opening events are 41 years ago, and then 5 years later Goku is sent off planet Vegeta and it is blown up, the counter then starts at year 737 as Goku lands on earth and we get a quick montage and it ends on the year 775 (which may just be them fading without finishing the year count but hold on because this is important.)

SO for those counting that is 36 years between Goku being sent to earth and the present day, for one that lands us the year 773 ONE YEAR BEFORE buu (and two the counter went as far as 775 so thats more then one issue) This is obviously off because pan and bulla are already born, and we know they are 4 and 3 at the end of Z so we should already be 3 years off from the end of the manga. Also one more thing even though Gohan is no where in this film, this film tells us Goku should be 36 years old (unless we take into account minus tells us he's 3 which I will add on in a minute) this makes no sense because Goku had Gohan at 19, which would make gohan 17 right now (which actually fits the one year after buu) now if we add the 3 years onto Goku from minus making him 39 (death and room of spirit time not included) that would make Gohan 20 ( a lot closer to what he should be but still wrong)

For the time to be correct instead of 41 years ago the events at the beginning of the movie would have to had taken place 48 years ago Goku would be 43 making gohan 23/24 (if we go with his stated age in the buu saga as 16 add 7 onto it because we know bra is 3 at the end of Z meaning we're 7 years past buu here)

I know a nitpick but we've been given a stated amount of time for the first time in awhile and I thought it would be fun to complain about it xD

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't xenoverse correctly place RoF at 779?

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon ball super Broly timeline issues and possible retcon to end of Z?

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:03 am

Question, do we know for certain how much time has passed between arcs of Super? People keep saying it's practically years, but do we actually know?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:31 am

mute_proxy wrote:Question, do we know for certain how much time has passed between arcs of Super? People keep saying it's practically years, but do we actually know?
It takes the Super Dragon Balls one Earth year to become active again, so at least a year passed between Twin-universe and Universe Survival. Then there are also the 4 months between Freeza being revived and then returning to Earth and Vegeta getting a head start on Whis' training regime by months compared to Goku.
Outside of that I don't recall other specific time gaps being established.

As for topic, yes it's been mentioned before.
Quite annoying that they can make an official timeline and put it on display publically, but then make this goof.

Vegito Black
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vegito Black » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:32 am

dbgtFO wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:Question, do we know for certain how much time has passed between arcs of Super? People keep saying it's practically years, but do we actually know?
It takes the Super Dragon Balls one Earth year to become active again, so at least a year passed between Twin-universe and Universe Survival. Then there are also the 4 months between Freeza being revived and then returning to Earth and Vegeta getting a head start on Whis' training regime by months compared to Goku.
Outside of that I don't recall other specific time gaps being established.

As for topic, yes it's been mentioned before.
Quite annoying that they can make an official timeline and put it on display publically, but then make this goof.
Well also for Pan to be born between BoG and RoF around 9 to 10 months had to pass and she was born around when freeza was revived so 9 months plus those 4 atleast equal one year. If we don't count shenrons appearance in BoG as a wish it didn't have to be a year for him to be summoned for freezas revival. Only arc we don't know how much time passes between is RoF to the first tournament of super.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:37 am

Vegito Black wrote:
Well also for Pan to be born between BoG and RoF around 9 to 10 months had to pass and she was born around when freeza was revived so 9 months plus those 4 atleast equal one year. If we don't count shenrons appearance in BoG as a wish it didn't have to be a year for him to be summoned for freezas revival. Only arc we don't know how much time passes between is RoF to the first tournament of super.
So how much time do you think passed during Super?

Vegito Black
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vegito Black » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:44 am

mute_proxy wrote:
Vegito Black wrote:
So how much time do you think passed during Super?
Already said so in the main post, we are seven years into the 10 year timeskip or seven years after buu, because bra is a newborn right now, and we know her age is 3 in the end of Z. Unless they retcon it.

In the series itself we went through 2 years
BoG -> 1 year later (supported by Pans birth) RoF, the twin universe tournament, future trunks arc,-> 1 year later (supported by the super dragon balls being usable) ToP and Broly

God Gogeta

Post by God Gogeta » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:32 pm

Vegito Black wrote:SPOILERS!!!!

Ok so it is hard to notice on first viewing since the timeline counter is going on while you have these visuals you want to see go by the screen, but you'd notice it if you just looked at the years they display at the very beginning of both segments, the broly backstory, and then the minus back story segment.

So the movies opening events are 41 years ago, and then 5 years later Goku is sent off planet Vegeta and it is blown up, the counter then starts at year 737 as Goku lands on earth and we get a quick montage and it ends on the year 775 (which may just be them fading without finishing the year count but hold on because this is important.)

SO for those counting that is 36 years between Goku being sent to earth and the present day, for one that lands us the year 773 ONE YEAR BEFORE buu (and two the counter went as far as 775 so thats more then one issue) This is obviously off because pan and bulla are already born, and we know they are 4 and 3 at the end of Z so we should already be 3 years off from the end of the manga. Also one more thing even though Gohan is no where in this film, this film tells us Goku should be 36 years old (unless we take into account minus tells us he's 3 which I will add on in a minute) this makes no sense because Goku had Gohan at 19, which would make gohan 17 right now (which actually fits the one year after buu) now if we add the 3 years onto Goku from minus making him 39 (death and room of spirit time not included) that would make Gohan 20 ( a lot closer to what he should be but still wrong)

For the time to be correct instead of 41 years ago the events at the beginning of the movie would have to had taken place 48 years ago Goku would be 43 making gohan 23/24 (if we go with his stated age in the buu saga as 16 add 7 onto it because we know bra is 3 at the end of Z meaning we're 7 years past buu here)

I know a nitpick but we've been given a stated amount of time for the first time in awhile and I thought it would be fun to complain about it xD

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't xenoverse correctly place RoF at 779?
Yep, there's some changes with the known time events of the past. At the beginning the counter should have been place as "48 years ago" if the present time is Age 780. Then again as per new update a saiyan baby have to be 3 years old before taking out of incubation chambers, that makes every saiyan baby born in the past
3 years older than before.
Age 729:Vegeta and Broly is born.May be Raditz too.
Age 732: 48 years ago, Frieza takes charge of the COLD Empire. Vegeta and Broly are already 3 Years old. Broly is sent to planet Vampa.
Age 734: Kakarot is born. May be Tarble too.
Age 737:Lord Beerus went to sleep.> Bardock returns as per Frieza's order of gathering all saiyans in planet Vegeta.> Kakarot is sent away to earth.> Frieza destroys planet Vegeta.> Kakarot reaches earth.

Age 776-777: Lord Beerus awakens.> Battle of Gods event.
Age 777-778: Pan is born.
Age 778: Return of Frieza arc.
Age 779: competition between Universe 6 and Universe 7.> Future Trunks arc.
Age 780: Bulla is born.Tournament of Power.
Age 780- 781: Broly Events.

During Boly events Vegeta and Broly may be 51 years old, and Goku 46 years old. Goku having Gohan at 19 changes to 22 as his birth year is changed. Currently Gohan may be 24 years old.
God Gogeta

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:05 am

Vegito Black wrote:For the time to be correct instead of 41 years ago the events at the beginning of the movie would have to had taken place 48 years ago
No, "41 years ago" should be "46 years ago" because of the five-year timeskip. The beginning of Dragon Ball (AGE 749), Jaco, the Galactic Patrolman (AGE 739) and Dragon Ball Minus (AGE 739) cannot change their respective dates. The movie actually starts in AGE 734 because of the timeskip the movie established from the moment Freeza met the Saiyans to Bardock arriving on planet Vegeta/planet Vegeta's destruction.

There will not be any contradiction at all this way, you can even think that Vegeta spent more than one year in that incubator as we don't know how much time Saiyans usually spent inside the machine. If you apply the time Goku spent, then Vegeta could have been born around AGE 732, as established by the guidebook.

Also, I got the math you are doing, you are following the old information we always had: AGE 780 - 48 = AGE 732 + 5 = AGE 737... This would work if it were not for the Jaco, the Galactic Patrolman manga. It changes the destruction of planet Vegeta from AGE 737 to AGE 739. That is why the correct is "46 years ago".
Vegito Black wrote:Also correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't xenoverse correctly place RoF at 779?
Correct. We also know that both Universe 6 saga and Future Trunks saga take place in AGE 779.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:38 am

I thought the 41 years was correct.

34 years ago was the Buu arc(7 years prior to the ToP/Broly)
27 years ago was the Cell arc(7 years prior to the Buu arc)
24 years ago was the Namek/Saiyan arc. (3 years prior to the Cell arc)
23 years ago Raditz showed up(1 year prior to the latter portion of the Saiyan arc with Vegeta, and then the Namek arc)
18 years ago was the 23rd TB arc(

And of course, Goku had just reached adulthood during the 23rd TB arc, so I think it fits fine. The only issue is not taking into account the ~9 months Goku was coming back from Namek, and that's less than a year and the exact time where the ToP/Broly arc happens is a little ambiguous so you could definitely make it work.

So working backwards, it fits fine.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:07 am

in the movies BofG they say that they spent 4 years from the buu arc
however in the series (super) this is not mentioned .. only 2 years have passed from the buu arc ... in the anime