Was anyone else unsatisfied with the Cold Force's members' cast?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Was anyone else unsatisfied with the Cold Force's members' cast?

Post by Green_Goblin » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:37 pm

As I've asked in the title, I felt that it was a lack of a creativity in casting Frieza's personal aids/generals and the Ginyu Force as part of King Cold's Army leadership in Dragon Ball Super: Broly, and think that the de-aging of Frieza into a mere "child" by Age 732 is just a cheap way of insuring both he and his dad will enjoy the same personnel rather than inventing new characters for Cold's henchmen or using the same ones he had in DBZ when he invaded the Earth will Mecha-Frieza and give them some names and character.

I always liked it when it was implied/stated that Frieza had created the Ginyu Force out of scratch (leaving the space for telling how he and Ginyu first met each other in a future OVA or light novel) and had just made Guldo a member of it during Vegeta's life time; and that he was also the one who kept Zarbon and Dodoria alive and promoted them after conquering their planets/races. Or that he was fully adult when he initiated the whole Genocide of the Saiyans ordeal (I always liked to think he was born around Age 650 and that their race lives longer than the feeling that DBS: Broly gave us). I don't care whether these contradict the Daizenshuu 7 claim that besides Frieza and Cold's soldiers nobody in the Frieza Force knew of his very existence, or not, since it gives Cold some much needed/required screen time as a character.
Do you agree?
Last edited by Green_Goblin on Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Did anyone else had an unsatisfied feeling with the Cold Force's members' cast?

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:25 pm

It was a fun little easter egg to see those characters again. I don't really feel it was a major deal. In my screening, the Ginyu Force posing got a bit of a chuckle. But it was such a small part of the movie that it really didn't bother me either way.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Did anyone else had an unsatisfied feeling with the Cold Force's members' cast?

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:04 am

MKCSTEALTH wrote:It was a fun little easter egg to see those characters again.
Only problem is that it WASN'T an easter egg, it was milking the Frieza Saga lore again (not something unique to this movie but to DBS as a whole) to get more money on merchandise. An easter egg is to have some small role cameos of someone who hadn't shown up for a long time for the hardcore fans to enjoy, like for example: Toyotaro's inclusion of soldiers who looked like Ledgic and Dolltaki and even Cui and Frog-Face in his Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' promotional manga.
Zarbon, Dodoria and the Ginyu Force had so much screen-time exposure in anime and video games format, it just simply isn't an easter egg material, just HOLLOW fanservice move by the behalf of Toei Animation.

I actually had a fun made up dialogue with a user from Reddit's r/DBZ called "Kampy5567", last night about that topic - it went as follows:
He:
I feel like that entire scene was kind weird honestly. Like, it gave us all the Namek saga character people cared about for cameos, and then in less than 5 minutes it was like:

Cold: "Okay, I'm out. This is my son, Freeza. He's a jerk."

Freeza: "Yep. Also, here are scouters. Welp, bye"

Cold and Freeza peace out.

King Vegeta: "I feel like this could have been done over a text message"
Me:
Editor/Executive in Toei/Shueisha: "How can we milk more money in merchandise from this movie?"

Peer: "Well, we did wrote that scene where Cold retires and passes the empire to Frieza, how about making all the Namek Saga beloved characters be there as well as their audience?"

Editor: "All AS IN including Cui?"

Peer: "Nah, nobody liked that fish breath, leave him out of this cameo section."

Editor: "Roger dodger! I'll go tell Nagamine..."
He:
Peer: "But God help you if that one blue Freeza soldier with the horns and beard isn't there"

Editor: "erm... I'll pass that along, I guess"
Me:
SUBARASHII!

Also note that there were a few Appule's race soldiers in this scene and on Earth when Frieza has the Dragon Balls...
These Appule's race guys were easter eggs after a long time of not seeing them.

emperior
I Live Here

Re: Was anyone else unsatisfied with the Cold Force's members' cast?

Post by emperior » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:14 am

I wasn’t unsatisfied. While I certainly agree the original left some blank spaces for theorizing about Freeza’s army, it also left it too vague about why Cold was called King, and whether or not he had an army of his own, which sort of devalued Freeza’s “emperor of the universe” title.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:29 am

I can agree on several things. Indeed, I would like to see something more from the Freeza Force and not just the entire castof soldiers that we have seen before. If so, Sorbet should have made an appearance.

I would love to see more from the Force. It's hierarchy and it's leadership. Why weren'twe ever given actual ranks for the personnel of the Freeza Force? Tha ranks of Commander is a very broad one (it can have different meaning) but we do hear from the characters of DBS: Broly, that the Freeza Force has Generals. Why weren't we introduced to such high tier characters?

Ginyu was a Captain of a special unit. Sorbet was in command of a thousand soldiers (which might serve as the clue needed to acknowledge Sorbet as an actual Commander/Major). Nothing more though...

I would be interested to some more new things, but I have to admit that we did get a slight better look at the Saiyan Military. We saw that it was a fully functional force that wasn't made of warriors only, but instead of invasion taskforces. We might also have seen the Saiyan Elite (in King Vegeta's throne room) who might be individuals of higher rank within the Army. That was decent.

Back to my main point though, I agree that we could have seen more of Freeza's Force, or actually of Cold's Force. (Note that Berryblue and Kikono were an amazing addition)
P O W E R

GreatJaiyaman
Banned

Post by GreatJaiyaman » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:47 am

It's perfectly in character for Frieza to be a spoiled rich kid type, and inherit his father's empire. Frieza is likely to lazy to search the universe for soldiers, King Cold is much older and wiser and him assembling the Ginyu Force and others is way more realistic. Just my opinion.
VegettoEX is a snowflake

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:55 pm

Green_Goblin wrote:As I've asked in the title, I felt that it was a lack of a creativity in casting Frieza's personal aids/generals and the Ginyu Force as part of King Cold's Army leadership in Dragon Ball Super: Broly, and think that the de-aging of Frieza into a mere "child" by Age 732 is just a cheap way of insuring both he and his dad will enjoy the same personnel rather than inventing new characters for Cold's henchmen or using the same ones he had in DBZ when he invaded the Earth will Mecha-Frieza and give them some names and character.
Yeah, this was one of the things that disappointed me in the movie. I love the Ginyu Force, so I have no problems with them and they always came off as mercenaries or special forces to me anyway, but the whole scene seems designed to conveniently explain everything away. What it accomplishes though, is making Cold's empire and by extension Frieza's seem much smaller and much shorter reigning than I previously thought. It also makes Frieza seem less clever and capable on his own to just inherit every single thing from his father like that. It's as if he didn't build anything on his own.

And I always envisioned Zarbon and Dodoria as talents aligned strictly with Frieza. In some ways now, this makes them senior to Frieza, which is weird. It's all very weird. I don't know why this Cold Force being passed to Frieza business even needed to be in the movie.
I always liked it when it was implied/stated that Frieza had created the Ginyu Force out of scratch (leaving the space for telling how he and Ginyu first met each other in a future OVA or light novel) and had just made Guldo a member of it during Vegeta's life time;
I mostly agree, but I always thought the Ginyu's were just this awesome group that formed on their own and did what they wanted, answering only to Frieza at the end of the day. While I don't have a problem with them being a part of Cold's Force, it still does make things a bit weird in hindsight. Makes you wonder if these guys are older and more experienced than Frieza, which is just weird to me if they are. While Frieza always had his bratty tendencies, on Namek he still always came off to me as the smartest, wisest guy in the room when it came to his own men.
and that he was also the one who kept Zarbon and Dodoria alive and promoted them after conquering their planets/races.
Yeah, this is damaging to him and the mystique of the planet traders. I guess Cold did all this already then, but man Beerus and Cold are stealing all of Frieza's shine! All the clever and terrible stuff I thought Frieza did all these years he was never really responsible for.

Or that he was fully adult when he initiated the whole Genocide of the Saiyans ordeal (I always liked to think he was born around Age 650 and that their race lives longer than the feeling that DBS: Broly gave us).
Yeah, me too. That gave their race a unique appeal. It made Frieza seem like even more of a god (before we knew of the real gods).
I don't care whether these contradict the Daizenshuu 7 claim that besides Frieza and Cold's soldiers nobody in the Frieza Force knew of his very existence, or not, since it gives Cold some much needed/required screen time as a character.
Do you agree?
They didn't know about Cold or Frieza? But overall, I'd say the movie did no favors to King Cold or Frieza. I did like seeing all the characters again. The more time passes, the more I realize how much I like the leaders of Frieza's old army. They were great characters with great designs, but it is lame they were just passed down from father to son with no interesting conflict for Frieza's first meeting with them.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:00 am

BWri wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote: They didn't know about Cold or Frieza? But overall, I'd say the movie did no favors to King Cold or Frieza. I did like seeing all the characters again. The more time passes, the more I realize how much I like the leaders of Frieza's old army. They were great characters with great designs, but it is lame they were just passed down from father to son with no interesting conflict for Frieza's first meeting with them.
The Frieza Force members in DBZ had no clue of Cold's existence. That's stated in Cold's bio in the Daizenshuu 7 as translated by Herms for the old Kanzentai site:
"Freeza's father. He is a shadowy presence in the organization, and nobody knows of his existence apart from his family and his direct subordinates, not even the Ginyu Special-Squad. Though he's the head of the strongest family in the universe, he is somewhat inferior to Freeza."
(Source: http://web.archive.org/web/201110211707 ... #king_cold)

And suddenly we have all the Frieza Force elite members being his former lackeys? Not just the special forces led by Ginyu who originally weren't even aware of his existence despite their high ranks?

They just wanted to make Frieza a rich spoiled brat who inherited all his "butlers"/slaves from his daddy. Which put his developments of the Force in question, much as you said. Who did he added to his ranks/board of elites? Vegeta (who's a "side-show officer", rather than a primer member, used to carry out non-"sexy" operations alongside Nappa and Raditz) and Cui? Lemo mentions in the movie that Frieza once killed one of his generals just for having a bad breath. Heck, this is just boring. Frieza basically got his "toys" from his old man, and spent about 30 years (Age 732 to December 24th, Age 762) doing nothing but conquering races and destroying those he felt unnecessary to him or unsuitable to selling WITH THE SAME CAST OF SERVENTS LIKE HIS OLD MAN. They could've re-read their previously established lore and do a better job by giving us a different cast to accompany Cold, but I guess merchandise is everything these days.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:19 am

I honestly did not mind a Younger Frieza, BUT I do have to agree it was strange seeing the same age Ginyu Force, Zarbon and others when this is suppose to be like 20+ years in the pass give or take. It think while it was meant as fanservice Easter Eggs, but I indeed agree I rather have had either much younger versions of these characters like seeing them in their rookie years and rookie uniforms.

Or more better, have King Cold have his own personal forces unique to his own style of the Cold Force, that would have open up to WHOLE new ideas to the Lore of the Cold Forces. His one Ginyu like force, Captains, advisers, even thought they be one time shown characters, when Super 2.0 happens they could be added to the story to increase their lore and give more richest to any story in DB going forward.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:22 pm

I don't think that they even remember what the hell they wrote at those Dansheshuuwhatevers - which were little more than a glorified cash grab. The people who made Super made continuous mistakes with the lore (Gohan going SSJ in the BoG trailers/posters, Frieza's design in the Broly movie trailer) that is evident that they - as Toriyama - care little for the fine details.

I also do not consider anything outside the anime and the manga as canon, no matter how many seals of approval Shueisha slams onto the product.

As for the Cold Force? They were nothing more than cameos. The focus was on the saiyans, as always, with a little bit of Frieza on the side.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:07 pm

Green_Goblin wrote:
BWri wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote: They didn't know about Cold or Frieza? But overall, I'd say the movie did no favors to King Cold or Frieza. I did like seeing all the characters again. The more time passes, the more I realize how much I like the leaders of Frieza's old army. They were great characters with great designs, but it is lame they were just passed down from father to son with no interesting conflict for Frieza's first meeting with them.
The Frieza Force members in DBZ had no clue of Cold's existence. That's stated in Cold's bio in the Daizenshuu 7 as translated by Herms for the old Kanzentai site:
"Freeza's father. He is a shadowy presence in the organization, and nobody knows of his existence apart from his family and his direct subordinates, not even the Ginyu Special-Squad. Though he's the head of the strongest family in the universe, he is somewhat inferior to Freeza."
(Source: http://web.archive.org/web/201110211707 ... #king_cold)

And suddenly we have all the Frieza Force elite members being his former lackeys? Not just the special forces led by Ginyu who originally weren't even aware of his existence despite their high ranks?

They just wanted to make Frieza a rich spoiled brat who inherited all his "butlers"/slaves from his daddy. Which put his developments of the Force in question, much as you said. Who did he added to his ranks/board of elites? Vegeta (who's a "side-show officer", rather than a primer member, used to carry out non-"sexy" operations alongside Nappa and Raditz) and Cui? Lemo mentions in the movie that Frieza once killed one of his generals just for having a bad breath. Heck, this is just boring. Frieza basically got his "toys" from his old man, and spent about 30 years (Age 732 to December 24th, Age 762) doing nothing but conquering races and destroying those he felt unnecessary to him or unsuitable to selling WITH THE SAME CAST OF SERVENTS LIKE HIS OLD MAN. They could've re-read their previously established lore and do a better job by giving us a different cast to accompany Cold, but I guess merchandise is everything these days.
It should be pretty clear by now that Toriyama doesn't really follow any "series bible". If something isn't the original manga or his current movies, it's always questionable and might be dropped at any point, even if it originally came from Toriyama himself. I really doubt those minor cameos had anything to do with merchandising either. It's not like you see tons of promotion for the Freeza force.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:05 pm

I'm not sure if I would call Frieza a child. He was more like a sub or young adult. He seemed full size and he had his adult voice, plus he was competent enough to take control of the empire. It was probably his coming of age thing.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:34 am

dragon boss z wrote:I'm not sure if I would call Frieza a child. He was more like a sub or young adult. He seemed full size and he had his adult voice, plus he was competent enough to take control of the empire. It was probably his coming of age thing.
The official supplamentary for this movie stated that Frieza was indeed a child. Herms translated and tweeted it back then:
Oh that note, the bottom caption here refers to Freeza from the opening flashback as a "child" (子供時代のフリーザ). This was mentioned somewhere before but it's nice to have backup.
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1068920570719350784
That casting was made as an excuse for including all the Namek Conflict top-guns into the movie and hopefully get soem cash on the merchandise section by doing so.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:59 am

I found the Ginyu Force in particular a little disappointing. It didn't ruin the movie for me at all, it's just that I find it hard to believe that all of these characters just never age, never change. I mean, do all aliens live for hundreds of years in the Dragon Ball universe, and humans just have really short lifespans comparatively? We're expected to believe that the Ginyu Forces' members never changed, and Ginyu never once changed bodies before going to Namek. And yeah, come to think of it, the only thing that changed when Frieza took power was the destruction of Planet Vegeta? Zarbon and Dodoria were just always there, at least old enough to be Frieza's parents?

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:14 pm

Green_Goblin wrote:
dragon boss z wrote:I'm not sure if I would call Frieza a child. He was more like a sub or young adult. He seemed full size and he had his adult voice, plus he was competent enough to take control of the empire. It was probably his coming of age thing.
The official supplamentary for this movie stated that Frieza was indeed a child. Herms translated and tweeted it back then:
Oh that note, the bottom caption here refers to Freeza from the opening flashback as a "child" (子供時代のフリーザ). This was mentioned somewhere before but it's nice to have backup.
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1068920570719350784
That casting was made as an excuse for including all the Namek Conflict top-guns into the movie and hopefully get soem cash on the merchandise section by doing so.
That could have been referencing him more as being the child of king cold, or possibly the word could be similar to juvenile, which does not automatically mean kid. A 17 year old can also be considered a child. Another supplementary material says Frieza was stronger than Cold since he was born, I'm not sure if that should be taken literally either. If that's the case, Frieza may have been born full grown or grow extremely fast like Piccolo jr. did. It's possible Frieza is a "child" with a full grown body and mind, similar to how Piccolo kind of was in the 23rd budokai. There really isn't much to say, but in the movie Frieza looks to be full size, with an adult voice, and an adult mind, so just what about him makes him a "child" besides his possible age?

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:39 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:I found the Ginyu Force in particular a little disappointing. It didn't ruin the movie for me at all, it's just that I find it hard to believe that all of these characters just never age, never change. I mean, do all aliens live for hundreds of years in the Dragon Ball universe, and humans just have really short lifespans comparatively? We're expected to believe that the Ginyu Forces' members never changed, and Ginyu never once changed bodies before going to Namek. And yeah, come to think of it, the only thing that changed when Frieza took power was the destruction of Planet Vegeta? Zarbon and Dodoria were just always there, at least old enough to be Frieza's parents?
Exactly! I did enjoyed Toyotaro's vision of the Ginyu Force's early days which he posted in September IIRC. It's just Ginyu, Jeice and Burter as it seems, and their battle armors are vest like.

King Cold needs an expending on his character and history within the empire, but just "copy+pasting" Frieza's lackeys into his faction isn't good writing.
dragon boss z wrote:That could have been referencing him more as being the child of king cold, or possibly the word could be similar to juvenile, which does not automatically mean kid. A 17 year old can also be considered a child. Another supplementary material says Frieza was stronger than Cold since he was born, I'm not sure if that should be taken literally either. If that's the case, Frieza may have been born full grown or grow extremely fast like Piccolo jr. did. It's possible Frieza is a "child" with a full grown body and mind, similar to how Piccolo kind of was in the 23rd budokai. There really isn't much to say, but in the movie Frieza looks to be full size, with an adult voice, and an adult mind, so just what about him makes him a "child" besides his possible age?
I didn't wanted to speculate that he was born "as is" like others, and I'm also not a Japanese expert nor at Herms' level to doubt in his given translation. It is possible that Frieza was indeed growing within the higher ranks and studying how to rule his dad's forces for a few years till then and not a newborn toddler by that scene, but that's just wishful thinking by me.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:09 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:I mean, do all aliens live for hundreds of years in the Dragon Ball universe, and humans just have really short lifespans comparatively?
Most likely. Hit was over 1,000 years old.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:30 pm

Bullza wrote:
ZeroNeonix wrote:I mean, do all aliens live for hundreds of years in the Dragon Ball universe, and humans just have really short lifespans comparatively?
Most likely. Hit was over 1,000 years old.
Yeah, but I doubt any of these listed above in my OP are of such lifespan species IMHO, not even Frieza's race (before this movie came out and changed our perspective of Frieza's age, I'd give them 400 years at best).

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:13 am

It’s Freeza’s father, King Cold the Great. He appears in the Broly movie, too! I’d like to see the forces he led in his era, as well. (https://dragonball.news/news/toyotarou201812.html)
Even Toyotaro wondered how did the Cold Force was... A hint that the cast for it in the movie wasn't to his liking?